Kylo Ren or GS from Catina?

100% FTP so I have a boring and limited team selection.

I am running Phasma (L), Sid, Lumi, Poe, JC.
Thinking of replacing JC with someone does higher damage.

I understand lots of people say GS is one of the best DPS toon, but I have always found Kylo Ren to be very irritating fighting against, the ability cooldown reset is crazy.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• GS for sure if you're focused on arena, if you're struggling with GW then focus on kylo
  • I'd go GS. Whenever I face Kylo, I just leave him for last or second to last and knock him out when he doesn't have his counter ability on
  • I'd say GS. His speed is high enough that he can move first, his regular attack can give him offense up, his special has a short cooldown and can be used every other turn, and he also has pretty good HP for how hard he hits. He is also one of the few characters who can get to gear level 9 (and hell be able to get to level 10 when the cap is raised to 80). At 6* I've made 10k crits + assist on his special (with a self given offense up), which could 1 shot Kylo if the assist is decent.
  • Shooting4life
    211 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm running the exact same team you are looking at with GS

Phasma (L) 6 star
    Sid 7 star
    Poe 6 star
    GS 6 star
    Lumi 7 star once I save up enough credits

I stay top 5 at pay out and only drop down to low teens over night. I'm in a hard launch server and am competitive with everyone except for the whales who are at 27k when my team above is at 24.5k.

The arena match pretty much goes like this.

Sid or Poe goes, target slower high dps like fotp and taunt with Poe. If lucky I get a phasma assist and first target is at 50% then hit with GS with call assist. Targeted toon is dead unless real bad rng with dodge. Then phasma goes, use first special which fills turn meter, which gets Sid, GS and Poe another turn. This usually leads to another kill. Then lumi finally gets her first turn, which I either heal depending on how much damage I've taken to Poe by the other teams fast toons or special against other teams lumi to block heal. Then other teams 2-3 toons that are alive go, Poe usually dies and I mop up with a speed down from phasma and another special from geo.

The only teams I lose against are the whales when I lose the Poe rng. Regular Poe teams I am about 50/50 when losing the Poe rng.

The next iteration of my team will be to replace lumi with qgj or resistance pilot to add more dps with either offense up or turn meter manipulation. Probably qgj because he would go before phasma and then have his turn meter filled. Or maybe even talia at the end so she can heal and fill turn meter, so many options for the 5th spot

• GS. Because (points to dozens of the same question all over the forum)...
  • I'm running the exact same team you are looking at with GS

Phasma (L) 6 star
    Sid 7 star
    Poe 6 star
    GS 6 star
    Lumi 7 star once I save up enough credits

I stay top 5 at pay out and only drop down to low teens over night. I'm in a hard launch server and am competitive with everyone except for the whales who are at 27k when my team above is at 24.5k.

I run exactly the same team and i'm nowhere near top 5. When i finish anywhere better than 100 i feel successful :)

• Get whoever u want or find the most interesting imo it's your game play it how YOU want to.
    To me that means Kylo all day , interesting skills, looks badass, not too difficult to farm
  • You don't have to spend as much energy farming for GS, so if I were you, i'd just farm for him
    but at the end of the day it's up to you
  • 100% F2P?
    Put in a buck at least man!
    OK, farm GS. GL
  • Just want to say thanks to all that gave feedback.

I have started farming Kylo Ren.
    I am not trying to run the Poe+DPS arena team, I am satisfied with a top 10-20 rank and it's impossibly to break into top 5 anyway.
    Kylo Ren will help in GW, because in GW, Poe is only good for one hard battle, even if he survives he will be on low hp and likely on cool down, which makes him useless in next battle, so GS isn't very effective without covering. Kylo has good hp and hits decent also fun abilities.
  • bbmiLo wrote: »
    Just want to say thanks to all that gave feedback.

I am not trying to run the Poe+DPS arena team, I am satisfied with a top 10-20 rank and it's impossibly to break into top 5 anyway.
    Kylo Ren will help in GW, because in GW, Poe is only good for one hard battle, even if he survives he will be on low hp and likely on cool down, which makes him useless in next battle, so GS isn't very effective without covering. Kylo has good hp and hits decent also fun abilities.

I do not use Poe in GW unless I need to on my 7th or 8th 7* purple team in a row. I do however use Geo and Geo makes it through the entire march. Ren on the other hand is used on a softener team if I need one.

This was true when both were 5* gear 7. Honestly you can't, IMO, really judge the viability of a toon until at least 5* gear 7. At that stage Geo I found more viable. I borrow a 7* purple and 6* purple Ren. Great HP, ok damage, nice kit with the Heal immune, retributyion, cooldown reset. His AOE and his basic are not great damage. Outrage is pretty good. Geo on the other hand gives himself offense up, calls to assist, every other turn special, turn 7 speed, maxed only 3k less HP, oh and he gains good TM when he crits.

Again it depends on your preference. I take the speed and power edge to Geo. I can count on him not hitting under 4k often and I don't recall when I last saw a hit under 3k. With offense down hi hits harder than most toons. He is a staple on my GW and Arena.

One other thing as I'm big on synergy and synergy can help you beat a far more powerful team.

Sid lead boosts crit chance and Damage- Good Synergy
    Fett Lead(I don't have or use) Boost Crit Damage
    Phasma calls to assist-Geo Special can proc that
    Poggle Lead Geo gets Offense up
    Lumi or Dooku lead he gains evasion

HK and QGJ are common leaders too that don't 100% synch with him. What does HK lead? Droid team. Geo on a high damage droid team fits, either behind Poe or with Poggle giving a powerhouse offense up. QGJ at high leader makes ALL allies faster. QGJ often leads fast teams, Geo is the 4th fastest toon.

I go Geo all day long over Ren for reasons above. Though my style is fast and hard hitting with good synergy. I also am a collecter and have many high level, gear, * toons so like to mix my builds up to keep it interesting. So he fits me. Now a sustain tanky team, or FO team, or AOE team, if someone prefers those styles then Ren is your man.

Main thing is go for what fits you best, what you enjoy most.

Cheers
  • My 4* GS sees a lot more action than my 5* Ren. The only drawback to GS is the lack of cantina credits and running out of sim tickets faster than higher stage cantina nodes.
  • Benr3600 wrote: »
    My 4* GS sees a lot more action than my 5* Ren. The only drawback to GS is the lack of cantina credits and running out of sim tickets faster than higher stage cantina nodes.

whats his HP at 4*? Does he die easily in GW?
    Just want to say thanks to all that gave feedback.

I do not use Poe in GW unless I need to on my 7th or 8th 7* purple team in a row. I do however use Geo and Geo makes it through the entire march. Ren on the other hand is used on a softener team if I need one.

This was true when both were 5* gear 7. Honestly you can't, IMO, really judge the viability of a toon until at least 5* gear 7. At that stage Geo I found more viable. I borrow a 7* purple and 6* purple Ren. Great HP, ok damage, nice kit with the Heal immune, retributyion, cooldown reset. His AOE and his basic are not great damage. Outrage is pretty good. Geo on the other hand gives himself offense up, calls to assist, every other turn special, turn 7 speed, maxed only 3k less HP, oh and he gains good TM when he crits.

Again it depends on your preference. I take the speed and power edge to Geo. I can count on him not hitting under 4k often and I don't recall when I last saw a hit under 3k. With offense down hi hits harder than most toons. He is a staple on my GW and Arena.

One other thing as I'm big on synergy and synergy can help you beat a far more powerful team.

Sid lead boosts crit chance and Damage- Good Synergy
    Fett Lead(I don't have or use) Boost Crit Damage
    Phasma calls to assist-Geo Special can proc that
    Poggle Lead Geo gets Offense up
    Lumi or Dooku lead he gains evasion

HK and QGJ are common leaders too that don't 100% synch with him. What does HK lead? Droid team. Geo on a high damage droid team fits, either behind Poe or with Poggle giving a powerhouse offense up. QGJ at high leader makes ALL allies faster. QGJ often leads fast teams, Geo is the 4th fastest toon.

I go Geo all day long over Ren for reasons above. Though my style is fast and hard hitting with good synergy. I also am a collecter and have many high level, gear, * toons so like to mix my builds up to keep it interesting. So he fits me. Now a sustain tanky team, or FO team, or AOE team, if someone prefers those styles then Ren is your man.

Main thing is go for what fits you best, what you enjoy most.

Cheers

Great write-up, appreciated!
  • but if you go with kylo ren then hes got more assist chances, and what does his retribution do btw? I missed the memo
  • Simda
    151 posts Member
    Is cantina 4c or cantina 6c a better place to get kylo ren shards?
  • Simda wrote: »

I can only do 4C. It's been good, almost like 50%, maybe I am just lucky.
  • Anyways, never mind, crease operation, have to farm Mace Windu now, in anticipation of the stupid Jedi event announced. Oh well.
    Simda wrote: »

I can only do 4C. It's been good, almost like 50%, maybe I am just lucky.

Thank you, I will continue with 4C.

Anyways, never mind, crease operation, have to farm Mace Windu now, in anticipation of the stupid Jedi event announced. Oh well.

Me too I'm one 4* Jedi away, he'll be the fastest

• I would say no reason not to run GS

Since he is one of the strongest overall dps
    Speed damage 1 cs turn assist special tm on crit
  • Camalus wrote: »
    but if you go with kylo ren then hes got more assist chances, and what does his retribution do btw? I missed the memo
    GS can call an assist (and do more damage) every other turn as long as he isn't ability blocked. He can also get two assists at once if you use his special and Phasma procs.