about the force awakens

my previous thread was closed without any explanation.

i wanted to talk about the new star wars movie

i dont want to make a very long post about why i think its bad, just read the reviews its already been explained in detail

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/
dont be fooled by the score caused by the hype.
actually do read the reviews and tell me what you think thanks

Replies

• I think it was amazing. I don't need to read reviews to formulate an opinion on a movie I've already seen 3 times.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    A decent continuation of the old trilogy and an intro to the new one.
  • I think it was amazing. I don't need to read reviews to formulate an opinion on a movie I've already seen 3 times.

Funny, since I was thinking something similar, except along the lines of "I don't need to read reviews to know it is a bad movie". I had a strong feeling before I ever even watched the film and had just heard snippets of information and screenshots from trailers. It really is weak as a standalone film. The best part about it, as many have noted, is that it at least provides a setting and set-up for the next films. That's what people are really waiting for.
    "Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"

• wait, you want our opinions on the movie, or your review? unclear how to proceed.
    Prscustom wrote: »
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/
    dont be fooled by the score caused by the hype.
    actually do read the reviews and tell me what you think thanks

• My feelings about the new movie are like a epic battle between the light side and the dark side in a galax... Well nevermind, I'll just say There is stuff I really really like about it, and stuff I don't really like... So its complicated.

Guess I like it more than dislike it... Depends on which part of the movie.
    "You don't want to sell me death sticks... You want to go home and rethink your life. "
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • I think the movie was great at was it was aiming: geting SW back on track for a new trilogy and another generation to enjoy it.

Now in terms of quality of the movie, my points:
    - The pace was too fast. I would have made it a bit longer to have more character development in order to care more for some of them (the lack of care was felt a lot in the final battle when random people would die, we didn't have a sense of urgency like in Ep. IV, etc).
    - A lot of characters were introduced, maybe too quickly (Phasma was not required, for example).
    - This movie made me realized, sadly, that what I enjoyed the best about Star Wars when I discovered the Original Trilogy was the spaceship battles. Now, following the Prequels, SW is all about lightsaber fights. I would like to see something, even if in a spin-off movie, similar to Ep. IV = a good third of the movie just being space battles, not cut by comic reliefs or drama...
    - The relationship of Fynn and Rey developed way too fast...
    - I also had issues with the Falcon (how easily it worked as it was suppose to be a pile of garbage 30 years before; how easy it was for Rey to just take it while it wasn't hers; etc).

Overall, I had a lot of fun. I will watch it again and again as I watch the other SW again and again, but the pace prevented it from being such a better movie.
  • As a standalone film, The Force Awakens is second (or possible tie) only to Empire Strikes Back, IMO.
    Solid casting, aggressive writing / directing and absence of "teddy bear" characters like Jarjar and ewoks make it much more enjoyable from an adult POV.
    Can't wait for the next one. Hope they don't make Rey a Skywalker...
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    I found it enjoyable. It was exciting, emotional, and very funny. (Come on, "That's not how The Force works" might be the best line ever.)

I found the actors believable (ok, maybe not Kylo's hair), and they did a good job of keeping to Star Wars themes and concepts. And BB8 was a fun new character, kind of redeeming them from the Jar-Jar fiasco. (Ok maybe there's no forgiving that.)

I'm dismayed about the huge departure from what was previously established SW canon. As someone who's read every post-ROTJ novel this is the hardest part for me to swallow. I'll miss the "real" Solo and Skywalker families, the Vong war, Thrawn. But what can you do? We'll always have Coruscant.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • I think the Force Awakens was exactly what Star Wars needed. It brought new strong characters. It appealed to Original Trilogy purists. Only thing I didn't like was that the ending wasn't original (don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it 2 months after it came out).