Poe Dameron balancing

Replies

• I don't think Poe is necessarily the problem. I think it's more than a lot of the other tanks just aren't as good, coupled with whoever's Poe goes first more than likely means said team gets a big advantage.

There are a couple things I think that could be done:

1) Buff the other tanks. Stormtrooper Han, Chewie, and anyone else who can taunt need to be more viable. Increasing their speed could help or in Han's case, more survivability.

2) You could add a passive ability to all tanks that prevents them from losing turn meter until they take their first turn. This would at least allow them to be able to do their role and focus the enemies fire on themselves. This would also potentially kill the advantage of whichever Poe ends up going first.
  • I think a good start would be to make the turn meter reduction a 50% chance. Also, turn meter reduction itself should be resistible. Poe would still be effective, but wouldn't be a guarantee make-your-team-go-first-if-he-goes-first strategy. This very well may not be enough, but if they are looking to make incremental changes (which I think is a good strategy), this would be the way to go.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Nerf Poe what happens? Speed teams and early turn RNG is the new meta. The game is just fundamentally flawed. When the slowest characters finally get a turn, they do not impact the battle that much. Poe makes it so the enemies slow characters never even get a turn, if he goes first. As said before the "POE" we are talking about is at the highest level of game play Min/Maxed. 98% of the players posting or chiming in, do not really understand the QQ.

You make probably the best point here (I am sure others have said it). If Poe's turn meter is reduced, initially @Qeltar will cheer with excitement. Then, the next team he faces will be Rey, GS, Dooku, Sid and some other fast person. He will lose to Rey or GS, and claim that high speed and high damage is the problem, and then we get another 100 posts (it might actually be borderline 500+ posts on Poe he has) on why these other characters are a problem.

Basically, the game is flawed, as you said. We can spend all day whining about Poe and how he affects the meta, but once you take Poe out of the equation, other people will step in to fill his shoes, and then people will complain about them.

As long as speed plays a part, fast high damage characters will always be best.

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Barrok wrote: »
    You make probably the best point here (I am sure others have said it). If Poe's turn meter is reduced, initially @Qeltar will cheer with excitement. Then, the next team he faces will be Rey, GS, Dooku, Sid and some other fast person. He will lose to Rey or GS, and claim that high speed and high damage is the problem...

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/5254/the-real-problems-with-the-current-meta-too-many-consecutive-attacks-and-too-much-damage/p1
    That's from 4 weeks ago. When the Poe nonsense was only ramping up and he wasn't turn 7 yet.
    There is too much damage. And Poe is busted. It is actually possible for there to be two problems at the same time, especially when they interact.
    And please, stop calling me out in your posts. You are constantly misrepresenting my positions and making sideways ad hominem attacks. Knock it off.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Qeltar wrote: »
    You make probably the best point here (I am sure others have said it). If Poe's turn meter is reduced, initially @Qeltar will cheer with excitement. Then, the next team he faces will be Rey, GS, Dooku, Sid and some other fast person. He will lose to Rey or GS, and claim that high speed and high damage is the problem...

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/5254/the-real-problems-with-the-current-meta-too-many-consecutive-attacks-and-too-much-damage/p1
    That's from 4 weeks ago. When the Poe nonsense was only ramping up and he wasn't turn 7 yet.
    There is too much damage. And Poe is busted. It is actually possible for there to be two problems at the same time, especially when they interact.
    And please, stop calling me out in your posts. You are constantly misrepresenting my positions and making sideways ad hominem attacks. Knock it off.

I am calling it how I see it. I come to this forum for information on the game, and you stand out as someone who likes to post and post and post. Most of the time about the exact same thing, just said in a slightly different way. Accept it, it's true. (btw, I am not the only one saying this. Many people are calling you out on it).

I never claimed you can't have two problems; it's obvious there are two (or more) problems. Thus I don't get your religious zeal towards changing Poe. Fix Poe, the core problem still exists. Your 86 speed Asajj still is going to have issues, because the rest of your team will be dead by the time she shows up.

It's funny, early in this game Dooku stood out as a busted character. Omg he is so fast, he stuns, he counter attacks. We learned to play with him (and around him). Now he looks like the perfect character to me. Sure he is fast, but his stun is very RNG if it isn't against a Jedi, his damage is more on par with many of the slow characters than it is the other fast characters, and if you avoid him, his counter damage never happens. I would actually suggest they look at Dooku as a character to model high speed characters after. Give them many abilities, but nothing that does insane amounts of damage.
  • Jek_Face
    87 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    Greetings heroes,

We wanted to take a few moments to talk to you about a very hot topic here on the forums, Poe Dameron.

There have been numerous posts about this character and how our recent changes aren’t enough and that he will still be “OP”. We are reading each and every one of your posts, so know that you are being heard.

As you saw in the update notes, we are making some balance changes to Poe Dameron as a first step. We will continue to monitor how Poe performs in squads after the update, and if needed we will make additional changes. We’re taking an approach of slowly adjusting characters if we feel they are too powerful instead of making changes that may be too drastic.

Has the idea of making his skill expose opponents OR reduce turn meter for those not exposed been suggested? Instead of both at the same time. I think people with Poe would be happy and people facing him would, too.

• Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    I agree Dooku is well balanced for a speedy char. Sid as well. The high damage glass cannons (and Poe) not so much
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I am calling it how I see it. I come to this forum for information on the game, and you stand out as someone who likes to post and post and post. Most of the time about the exact same thing, just said in a slightly different way. Accept it, it's true.
    I don't see a "MOD" tag next to your name. Therefore I have absoluetly zero interest in your opinions on my posting habits. Which, by the way, are completely off topic.
    Yes, I post a lot. Yes, I am opinionated. I try to be factual with my observations. I try to use logical arguments. I also help a lot of people with questions and advise requests.
    If you don't like my posts, don't read them. But your representation above -- "oh Qeltar is whining about Poe but if Poe is fixed he'll whine about speed and damage" -- simply shows that you don't actually have any bloody clue about these posts of mine that YOU are whining about. I've been asking CG to make defensive and alternative teams viable for over a month. I, along with a few others, also told them before they raised the level cap that at level 61 Poe would become a monster. We were ignored.
    You're entitled to your views just like I am. But stop calling me out with "@" if you are going to spout nonsense and attribute it to me. It's bad enough there are a dozen people doing it, I don't need a notification every time it happens.
    Thus I don't get your religious zeal towards changing Poe.
    Poe makes the problem with overpowered one-shotting characters worse because:
    - He gives them extra attacks.
    - He protects them from being attacked directly and is very hard to take down.
    - He exposes your team which increases their damage.
    - He can do all of this before anything else happens.
    Why is this difficult to understand? The only puzzling thing is how people such as yourself can spend so much time criticizing me and demonstrate absolutely no comprehension of the issues being discussed.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    @qeltar, I have plenty of understanding of the game and it's mechanics. I play hours every day, and have spent a good amount of money. I am a top 5player on my server and I use Poe and play against Poe multiple times daily (and beat multiple Poe teams, even if I go second).

Also, just because you might have logical helpful posts, doesn't mean you need to continue and post the same thing in every way possible. You come off as whiney and are not helping your position any. Maybe there is a reason so many people are calling you out, because we all share the same opinion on you spamming the boards.

Lastly, I still stand by my position and I predict that even if Poe has changed someone will step in and take his place. It could be Han. Han gives turn meter when he starts his taunt and any time he is damaged. I have a feeling you will have plenty of Anti-Han posts if the meta shifts to him.

• Qeltar wrote: »
    I don't see a "MOD" tag next to your name. Therefore I have absoluetly zero interest in your opinions on my posting habits. Which, by the way, are completely off topic.
    Yes, I post a lot. Yes, I am opinionated. I try to be factual with my observations. I try to use logical arguments. I also help a lot of people with questions and advise requests.
    If you don't like my posts, don't read them. But your representation above -- "oh Qeltar is whining about Poe but if Poe is fixed he'll whine about speed and damage" -- simply shows that you don't actually have any bloody clue about these posts of mine that YOU are whining about. I've been asking CG to make defensive and alternative teams viable for over a month. I, along with a few others, also told them before they raised the level cap that at level 61 Poe would become a monster. We were ignored.
    You're entitled to your views just like I am. But stop calling me out with "@" if you are going to spout nonsense and attribute it to me. It's bad enough there are a dozen people doing it, I don't need a notification every time it happens.

I'm sorry Qeltar, but the problem is everyone understands your position. We get it. You made your point. You don't need to make it 500 times.

Can we give Qeltar his own forum so he can post the same thing over and over again there to his heart's content. I like trying to read some of these threads, but once you hijack them, you are like a broken record and it's hard to find the meat in your plethora of repetitive posts.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    @qeltar, I have plenty of understanding of the game and it's mechanics. I play hours every day, and have spent a good amount of money. I am a top 5player on my server and I use Poe and play against Poe multiple times daily (and beat multiple Poe teams, even if I go second).
    Sure you do.
    And yet you have absolutely no clue why Poe makes one-shotting DPS characters dramatically worse.
    Maybe there is a reason so many people are calling you out, because we all share the same opinion on you spamming the boards.
    I couldn't care less. I do find it amusing that you are simultaneously whining about me posting too much in this thread AND continuing to call me out by name so I get a notification to come back here and respond. You might think about how those two actions interact.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Bluemoon wrote: »
    I'm sorry Qeltar, but the problem is everyone understands your position. We get it. You made your point. You don't need to make it 500 times.
    I was done with this thread. People keep calling me back here. Stop doing it and I will stop responding. This isn't rocket science.
  • Triqui wrote: »
    I agree Dooku is well balanced for a speedy char. Sid as well. The high damage glass cannons (and Poe) not so much

Is he not that good at 7*? I am working on mine now.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    @qeltar. Because of your zealousness towards Poe, I am actually going to start working on Han. That way, if all your posts end up getting Poe neutered, I will have Han to take his place. If RNG is in your favor, Han is going to be extremely annoying to go against. He also becomes turn 8 when we can level up to 80 I believe (need to double check that, maybe it's 90).
  • My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    Triqui wrote: »

He's fine at 7 I would assume (I have 25/100 towards 7), but you really wouldn't use him right now in the Poe meta (especially since Jedi's don't reign supreme). The reason I am trying to 7* him is if yoda is really good, or jedi's make a resurgence. Plus, he will be the fastest character in the game once you can level to 80, if I remember the numbers correctly. Always good to have the fastest available to you, if you need it.

• Blev08 wrote: »
    I don't think Poe is necessarily the problem. I think it's more than a lot of the other tanks just aren't as good, coupled with whoever's Poe goes first more than likely means said team gets a big advantage.

There are a couple things I think that could be done:

1) Buff the other tanks. Stormtrooper Han, Chewie, and anyone else who can taunt need to be more viable. Increasing their speed could help or in Han's case, more survivability.

2) You could add a passive ability to all tanks that prevents them from losing turn meter until they take their first turn. This would at least allow them to be able to do their role and focus the enemies fire on themselves. This would also potentially kill the advantage of whichever Poe ends up going first.

Very smart post. Read again!

• Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Triqui wrote: »

He IS good. But well balanced. He does things well, but he doesnt own the bsttlefield by himself. I'm working mine too. I just wish other chars were so well designed
  • Poe is not rigged at all. High speed tank with 2 turn taunt and meter reduction. The only time I lose in arena is either team outpowers me or has a poe. I don't understand the thought process behind allowing a tank with taunt to have so much speed.
    Sure you do.
    And yet you have absolutely no clue why Poe makes one-shotting DPS characters dramatically worse.
    Maybe there is a reason so many people are calling you out, because we all share the same opinion on you spamming the boards.
    I couldn't care less. I do find it amusing that you are simultaneously whining about me posting too much in this thread AND continuing to call me out by name so I get a notification to come back here and respond. You might think about how those two actions interact.

We all get the point dude. We read it 500 different ways repeated multiple times.

I fully grasp how he makes the problem worse. I'm not blessed with 7* QGJ, Leia, and FOTP, yet on my bracket many in the top 20 are and use it, so I have the problem shoved down my throat in arena 12k crit at a time as I sit there helpless to do squat but Ice Poe and hope I can turn the tide, sometimes I do, others I do not. I get the problem. It frickkin blows watching 2/5 drop sometimes 3/5 before you can act. Understood, it sucks. No need to post 500 times about it though.

I also get it when I meet 5,6,7,8 at times Poe DPS teams maxed out in my GW march. It sucks. It annoys. It causes curses and phone spikes. After I'm through it it causes elation, a sense of "dang I just survived a bloodbath gauntlet"

I will say this 142 speed for Poe keep all as was. There we go. I also agree with speed toons being more Dooku like that Barrok I believe stated. Give them cool abilities(not TM manipulation on large scale, maybe their own though) and lesser damage.

I'll go here and say look at some of the top Damage dealers
    Geo
    Rey
    Leia
    all Over 143 all 3 can 1 hit your toons. Now face all 3 at once, you can be down 2-3 toons easy. They all 3 have turn 7 speed, all 3 can go 1st, all 3 can go before you act, Poe or no Poe. So the problem is there without Poe. Poe going first makes it a guarentee they go before you act. Take Poe out though and they all still could, in reality, go before you can.

Let me ask this. Please be honest. If they Nerf Poe for you and you Face a Team, Of let's see, Phasma, Leia, Rey, GS, Daka and the Force is not with you and Rey, Leia, GS go before you and kill 2-3 of your toons will you still complain? Then they nerf all 3 of them for you and they pull out say Leia put in Poggle and Poggle goes boosting them all up and round 2 Rey and GS go off with massive hits destroying your team, will you complain? Yes what about Han? Han effects TM a ton. I think our question is when will it end, the complaining that is?

I get the problem. Poe makes deadly even more deadly. Deadly though is deadly, with or with out additive.

Think about this, maybe bad analogy. High DPS is a bullet. Very deadly, Poe is like making that hollow tip. That bullet is deadly, the hollow tip far more.

I get the pain you feel. I feel it in arena and GW daily. I am and have adapted to it.

Have faith when Jar Jar comes out all will be balanced and all will perish by the mighty Jar Jar.

Cheers all.
    I am calling it how I see it. I come to this forum for information on the game, and you stand out as someone who likes to post and post and post. Most of the time about the exact same thing, just said in a slightly different way. Accept it, it's true.
    Thus I don't get your religious zeal towards changing Poe.
    Poe makes the problem with overpowered one-shotting characters worse because:
    - He gives them extra attacks.
    - He protects them from being attacked directly and is very hard to take down.
    - He exposes your team which increases their damage.
    - He can do all of this before anything else happens.
    Why is this difficult to understand? The only puzzling thing is how people such as yourself can spend so much time criticizing me and demonstrate absolutely no comprehension of the issues being discussed.

I think this is the crux. You just don't care abiut anybody else unless it's a mod, and address complaint posts publickly again and again and again, and refuse to ever learn as you go.

I miss the Alter Ego of Queltar that wrote guides, not so much because maybe you aren't writing them, but how you attack CG, refuse to engage with anyone not exactly your point and calling on anyone troubled by this as missrepresenting.

If you don't want to be missrepresented and also don't care abiut other's thought unless it's a mod then WRITE PRIVATELY to them. I have seen at least 8 people in two weeks state WE get your point - cool the tone and engage positively if you can.

• Dear EA, can you fix the leader abilities to be consistent in all rounds because my Savage Opress' "Pain is Weakness" is only activated in the 1st round in Dark Side Battles 1-C. Thank you.
  • Barrok wrote: »
    Nerf Poe what happens? Speed teams and early turn RNG is the new meta. The game is just fundamentally flawed. When the slowest characters finally get a turn, they do not impact the battle that much. Poe makes it so the enemies slow characters never even get a turn, if he goes first. As said before the "POE" we are talking about is at the highest level of game play Min/Maxed. 98% of the players posting or chiming in, do not really understand the QQ.

You make probably the best point here (I am sure others have said it). If Poe's turn meter is reduced, initially @Qeltar will cheer with excitement. Then, the next team he faces will be Rey, GS, Dooku, Sid and some other fast person. He will lose to Rey or GS, and claim that high speed and high damage is the problem, and then we get another 100 posts (it might actually be borderline 500+ posts on Poe he has) on why these other characters are a problem.

Basically, the game is flawed, as you said. We can spend all day whining about Poe and how he affects the meta, but once you take Poe out of the equation, other people will step in to fill his shoes, and then people will complain about them.

As long as speed plays a part, fast high damage characters will always be best.

I said this on like page 3. These people just don't want to listen to reason. They have an agenda and they are going to push it. The funny thing is that people who are building sub-optimal squads and who do not have all the characters are the ones in the loudest 'nerf Poe' camp. They just don't fundamentally understand the game. It's a flawed system at best, broken system at worst. You have some glass cannon attackers who crit for 3.5k and others who crit for 9k AND call an assist, or crit for 6.5k twice. Play the game in a sandbox with the characters balanced and you will see that Poe, just how he is now, is very fun when the damage of glass cannon type characters is normalized. Oh yeah, and healers/healing immunity are useful again too.
    Star Wars: Galaxy of Supporting Cast Members
  • You may not like @Qeltar, but theyre expressing an opinion (as are you). And been saying for weeks. You may not like that they're saying the same thing, for so long, but oh well. Free speech and until a mod steps in and says something, nothing can or should be done.

If you don't agree, then don't respond. Or do respond and argue your points. It's your right just as Qeltars to express opinions ON THE GAME, MECHANICS, HEROES, etc. What you feel is right or wrong. Stop ganging up, insulting, belittling others because you disagree.

My opinion: Poe is to strong. His turn meter removal should be resistable. I also agree with @Qeltar . Damage is out of control and defense sucks.
  • Considering Poe is obtainable for free through Cantina Shipments and after making QGJ also available through Cantina shipments (kudos to EA for that), I feel Poe is fine where he is (even without the nerf). I understand where people are coming from who believe his toolkit is too powerful, but everyone is on a level playing field. Anyone, whether F2P or P2P, can 7* him and utilize him in their line up. Whether or not, people 'want' to do that is an entirely different issue.

Rather than focusing on nerfing every character that someone is unhappy with, I would rather see the devs focus on introducing new characters with a toolkit that either shifts or expands the flexibility of the current meta. Having more choices to design a team comp with the play style a person wants to incorporate would be my preference.

The changes and additions will come in time. It's still a new game and I appreciate that the dev team is choosing to test the waters with small steps rather than changing the game entirely overnight.
  • l3end3r
    895 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    twaller wrote: »
    I am sorry but CG you **** up. Poe deserves a nerf I don't even care if internal testing says he isn't too OP. The fact is that the player base hates it. For instance fans of NFL hated the Overtime rules because they felt like who ever won the coin toss, I am sure you can where I am going, would win the game. It is nice to not have to worry about some **** aspect of the game that rears its ugly head time and time again. No player wants to rank up **** Oscar Isaac just to be competitive vs other teams Oscar isaacs. It does not make any sense to me what so ever. Change it not for the sake of the game, which WILL die if balancing and especially bug fixing is as weak as this update, but the huge majority of the fans enjoyment of it.

At least 50% of the player base does not hate it. They fixed multiple bugs and buffed UP characters this update. They toned Poe down, and I don't think you realize how significant his expose reduction is. You're team will now survive the initial onslaught and have time to heal or counter attack and win a game of endurance. Finally, if they remove Poe, slower characters will not be used by top 50 players. The meta will change to Sid(lead), Rey, GS, QGJ, and Dooku (and some Leia, Hoth Scout or FOO). You will be complaining just as much until they nerf more characters and it's a never ending cycle. First it was Dooku, then Bariss (who they ruined with nerfs), now it's Poe and next it will be Rey, GS and QGJ. They toned Poe down without killing the character. Stop complaining plz, you haven't even played the new update to observe said changes
  • l3end3r wrote: »
    twaller wrote: »
    I am sorry but CG you **** up. Poe deserves a nerf I don't even care if internal testing says he isn't too OP. The fact is that the player base hates it. For instance fans of NFL hated the Overtime rules because they felt like who ever won the coin toss, I am sure you can where I am going, would win the game. It is nice to not have to worry about some **** aspect of the game that rears its ugly head time and time again. No player wants to rank up **** Oscar Isaac just to be competitive vs other teams Oscar isaacs. It does not make any sense to me what so ever. Change it not for the sake of the game, which WILL die if balancing and especially bug fixing is as weak as this update, but the huge majority of the fans enjoyment of it.

At least 50% of the player base does not hate it. They fixed multiple bugs and buffed UP characters this update. They toned Poe down, and I don't think you realize how significant his expose reduction is. You're team will now survive the initial onslaught and have time to heal or counter attack and win a game of endurance. Finally, if they remove Poe, slower characters will not be used by top 50 players. The meta will change to Sid(lead), Rey, GS, QGJ, and Dooku (and some Leia, Hoth Scout or FOO). You will be complaining just as much until they nerf more characters and it's a never ending cycle. First it was Dooku, then Bariss (who they ruined with nerfs), now it's Poe and next it will be Rey, GS and QGJ. They toned Poe down without killing the character. Stop complaining plz, you haven't even played the new update to observe said changes

The nerf to expose does nothing to the Poe meta-haha. Expose isn't why 1-2 characters are dying round 1, it is that some characters hit for 12k+.
    Star Wars: Galaxy of Supporting Cast Members
  • How I feel about this Meta and game.

4174703.jpg
  • The real problem is the broken, unbalanced condition that the game is in now, poe is simply the poster child and biggest enabler of broken teams. Reduce overall arena damage, buff every single other underused character to promote build diversity for once and we have a fair game again ;)

If anybody disagrees then I dare you to share a better solution other than the typical "just get poe yourself and stop whining"
  • MenaceTEC
    670 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    FakeRobbo wrote: »
    The real problem is the broken, unbalanced condition that the game is in now, poe is simply the poster child and biggest enabler of broken teams. Reduce overall arena damage, buff every single other underused character to promote build diversity for once and we have a fair game again ;)

If anybody disagrees then I dare you to share a better solution other than the typical "just get poe yourself and stop whining"

I agree with your sentiment. I've suggested an awesome fix that would address all the issues and the nothing away from anyone.

Add a character or a skill to existing characters that reduces damage by 50-60% for two turns.
This discussion has been closed.