Poe Dameron balancing

Replies

• Simsurf
    71 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I think I just have a psychological dislike of poe :D some blow in resistance fighter pilot is the best tank in the game? :o Han annoys people just by opening his mouth :D his taunt skill should be epic! :) Nerf of buff poe he will never be on my team!
  • Maso
    18 posts Member
    Aluxendr wrote: »

As @Qeltar said, the problem is the turn meter reduction, and the fact that you can simply NOT GET A CHANCE TO GO.

Remove the TM reduction from his Taunt (and maybe add a Defense or Health Up buff), leave the rest in place, and you will have a weaker, but still usable Poe who doesn't lead to an instant 2 or 3v5.

+1 for this
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Triqui wrote: »
    The " nerf crowd", as often derogatory named, do not exist. There is no decreto agenda to nerf everybody. There is, though, a group of people who believe the current balance of the game needs tweaking, and some of them think that Poe is a focal point for that. And yes, a couple of guys, myself included, are more vocal about it. But those who believe we are alone are being victim of their own confirmation bias. Dozens of different posters have agreed in this thread (just like dozens haven't). Maybe they slip through awareness, but they exist. It is not an imaginary problemas in the mind of a few. The devs also said once that they'll look at data, and use fubdsmentally that for nerfs (and they data show Barris needed a nerf, btw).
    Well said, and thank you.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Lmao this is hilarious they are just going to keep stringing people along and I really feel sorry for everyone who has put lots of money in this game my suggestion is stop wasting your money people these people at ea/cg are treating us like I. D. I. O. T. S. Presenting shiny new things and promises to take action on things that have no effect on the real issues in the game. I hope I didn't offend anyone I just hope you see the truth in what I say.
  • goobstoob
    171 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Qeltar wrote: »
    The " nerf crowd", as often derogatory named, do not exist. There is no decreto agenda to nerf everybody. There is, though, a group of people who believe the current balance of the game needs tweaking, and some of them think that Poe is a focal point for that. And yes, a couple of guys, myself included, are more vocal about it. But those who believe we are alone are being victim of their own confirmation bias. Dozens of different posters have agreed in this thread (just like dozens haven't). Maybe they slip through awareness, but they exist. It is not an imaginary problemas in the mind of a few. The devs also said once that they'll look at data, and use fubdsmentally that for nerfs (and they data show Barris needed a nerf, btw).

There is ABSOLUTELY a "nerf crowd" agenda, however I don't believe it exists to "nerf everybody", it exists to nerf characters that they either:
    a: didn't invest in and are now frustrated at going up against them
    b: don't like their play style and therefore deem "it must be wrong, because my opinion on how this game works is correct"
    c: got beat many times by teams that used said characters that "need to be nerfed" and are now butt-hurt
    d: some or all of the above

To say otherwise is a little ridiculous. this doesn't necessarily apply to every single person that cries nerf, however it absolutely applies to most.
  • Good thing I am F2P. Sleep well at night and just can enjoy myself.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    goobstoob wrote: »
    There is ABSOLUTELY a "nerf crowd" agenda...
    Is there? Let's see...
    however I don't believe it exists to "nerf everybody", it exists to nerf characters that they either:
    Or maybe the opponents of the nerf like having an overpowered character and don't want to lose their advantage.
    b: don't like their play style and therefore deem "it must be wrong, because my opinion on how this game works is correct"
    Or maybe the opponents of the nerf want their own play style to continue to dominate.
    c: got beat many times by teams that used said characters that "need to be nerfed" and are now butt-hurt
    Or maybe the opponents of the nerf are used to beating non-meta teams most of the time and are afraid of losing this.

Gee, look how easy it is to erect strawman accusations based on nothing.

Now let's look at some facts:
    - Much of the call to nerf Poe has come from people using Poe. I have Poe.
    - Much of it has come from whales who have every character and can adapt instantly to any meta change.
    - Poe is used by nearly all top 20 and increasingly top 50 teams on mature shards. It is rare for me to even find someone not using him.
    - Poe allows a team to go multiple times and severely restricts your options to combat the opponent or have a chance to win.
    - This, combined with the ability to target non-Poe teams after the patch, will make Poe even MORE prevalent than he is now.

I am proudly in the camp that says Poe should be nerfed. Not only should he be nerfed, he should have been nerfed a month ago, before the level cap increase that made him into a monster. If they had listened to the guys from Team Instinct and others who warned them IN ADVANCE that Poe would dominate PvP when he got 143 speed and had made the adjustment at that time, things never would have gotten as bad as they are now.

I am in the "nerf Poe" camp based on my own experiences, on factual evidence, and my desire for a more diverse game in which many different builds are possible. Anyone who doesn't like that can try to provide a reasonable counter-argument for why he shouldn't be nerfed. Nobody seems to be able to do that, so instead they resort to childish name-calling, complaining about post counts and making up gibberish about "nerf crowd agendas". All of you can go fly a kite.
    TL;DR: Poe needs to be nerfed for reasons laid out multiple times. If you disagree, make rational arguments against it. If all you have to contribute is attacking other posters, you have nothing to contribute at all.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member

There is ABSOLUTELY a "nerf crowd" agenda, however I don't believe it exists to "nerf everybody", it exists to nerf characters that they either:

To say otherwise is a little ridiculous. this doesn't necessarily apply to every single person that cries nerf, however it absolutely applies to most.

They also seem to be solely obsessed with only one part of the game-arena. I see Poeless teams Even in the top 10. I can only imagine how much easier it is in the top 100. It's become total hysteria lately and people are catching on to it.

With the Jedi Challenge coming the game will be slightly less arena centric. In many ways if you want the new toon at 5-7*s you will most likely have to decide between that or giving your arena team ultra focus. For the first time I'm totally confused on who or what to farm. Do I grab the new Opress or get Koth? Cantina shipments.. lots of confusion there.

Despite being in the top 20-5 for a long time I've always focused on MORE characters not a fully maxed 7* team. This makes my power level a little less than others but I have the diversity to change my team at anytime. I've never lost a GW because of this and even if Poe is nerfed (again) I'll be doing just fine. But that's not the point. We can't let a group of irate players control what happens to the game. Many of these folks never break the top 100 and it has nothing to do with POE. I've raged before on the devs but I've learned over time to give them a break and the benefit of the doubt. These same folks will target QGJ or even Poggle for the next Nerf. Its getting beyond ridiculous. No matter what the devs have done lately, and they've done some awesome things, there is always rage; it's old. Take a break from the game if you need to but quit trying to bully the devs. You don't represent all of us here. Quit pretending you are defending the weak. Some of you folks are just footstomping tyrants.

• I get where a lot of people are coming from but poe doesn't solely affect arena. My last 3 opponents in gw were all 7* poe teams and I had faced 2 more before hitting them. Now, he is easier to face in gw using suicide squads, but facing 5/12 teams that are basically identical and all of whom can wipe out huge chunks of your A team without any response is not a good gaming experience!
    As a side note single shot glass cannons or massive damage toon specials have always been about but were never as prevalent before poe because they were manageable using multiple different strategies. Under the umbrella of poe though none of them work. Go fast or be last is now the meta but he is so fast thats hard!
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    J7000 wrote: »
    These same folks will target QGJ or even Poggle for the next Nerf. Its getting beyond ridiculous.

You are imagining things that havent happened, and using them to defend your point of view. There is a name for that in rethoric. It is called strawman's fallacy.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    They also seem to be solely obsessed with only one part of the game-arena. I see Poeless teams Even in the top 10. I can only imagine how much easier it is in the top 100. It's become total hysteria lately and people are catching on to it.
    So your shard doesn't have a lot of Poes in it, obviously the same is true of all of them. Right?
    When did you start playing? I have found one team without Poe in it in the last 8 arena fights I have attempted. He is in easily over 80% of the top teams.
    And it's not just arena, it is GW as well. These Poe teams turn GW into a nightmare.
    Aside from GW and arena, what is there? Nothing.
    With the Jedi Challenge coming the game will be slightly less arena centric.
    Depends on what it is. It sounds to me like a "one and done" sort of thing, in which case we are back to arena and GW.
    But that's not the point. We can't let a group of irate players control what happens to the game.
    You have no problem with this as long as it is a group you are part of. Your constant ankle-biting of anyone who wants Poe and the high DPS meta fixed is exactly as much an attempt to control what happens as what is being done by those you criticize.
    Take a break from the game if you need to but quit trying to bully the devs. You don't represent all of us here. Quit pretending you are defending the weak. Some of you folks are just footstomping tyrants.
    "Bully the devs"? Laughing.. what power do any of us have over the devs? None, that's what. They can and will do whatever they want. All we can do is lobby for changes we think make sense.
    Which, again, you are doing also.
    The only bullying going on here is on the part of a handful of people such as yourself who are more interested in leveling personal attacks against those you disagree with than talking about anything of substance. Probably because you HAVE nothing of substance to say.
    Take a break? YOU take a break. Everyone has as much right to express his/her opinion as you do. If you don't like that, take a hike.
  • @goobstoob @J7000 Whether or not you like it, the 'nerf crowd' is offering facts and evidence to why they feel Poe should be nerfed. You're offering back handed insults, your own agenda against them, and tossing everyone with a similar opinion to them into the same crowd (didn't invest, getting beaten, etc.). You aren't offering any sort of reason to why you feel he shouldn't be nerfed. Lay off them and post about Poe or get out of this thread. You're trying to derail the Poe discussion by attacking posters. It's annoying. Go create an anti-Qeltar thread and hang out there already.

OT: I feel like the devs are taking the right approach to balancing Poe, slow and steady. I don't feel like they got it just right though. If his turn meter reduction was resistable, like everything else, I think he would be fine. It would give your team a good chance to still go when they should. It also make leader abities like Aayla Secure pretty useful. A huge tenacity boost would be great at dealing with him if his turn meter reduction was resistable.

• J7000
    2059 posts Member
    M9silent wrote: »
    @goobstoob @J7000 Whether or not you like it, the 'nerf crowd' is offering facts and evidence to why they feel Poe should be nerfed. You're offering back handed insults, your own agenda against them, and tossing everyone with a similar opinion to them into the same crowd (didn't invest, getting beaten, etc.). You aren't offering any sort of reason to why you feel he shouldn't be nerfed. Lay off them and post about Poe or get out of this thread. You're trying to derail the Poe discussion by attacking posters. It's annoying. Go create an anti-Qeltar thread and hang out there already.

OT: I feel like the devs are taking the right approach to balancing Poe, slow and steady. I don't feel like they got it just right though. If his turn meter reduction was resistable, like everything else, I think he would be fine. It would give your team a good chance to still go when they should. It also make leader abities like Aayla Secure pretty useful. A huge tenacity boost would be great at dealing with him if his turn meter reduction was resistable.

As long as the "crowd" hijacks every single thread in the forums I fail to understand what we've done thats worse. The point: one group of people don't represent the whole player base. Im sick of it being misrepresented that another's opinion is the new rule of law and any deviation is falacy
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Im sick of it being misrepresented that another's opinion is the new rule of law and any deviation is falacy

Excellent: then stop doing that.
  • M9silent wrote: »
    @goobstoob @J7000 Whether or not you like it, the 'nerf crowd' is offering facts and evidence to why they feel Poe should be nerfed. You're offering back handed insults, your own agenda against them, and tossing everyone with a similar opinion to them into the same crowd (didn't invest, getting beaten, etc.). You aren't offering any sort of reason to why you feel he shouldn't be nerfed. Lay off them and post about Poe or get out of this thread. You're trying to derail the Poe discussion by attacking posters. It's annoying. Go create an anti-Qeltar thread and hang out there already.

I definitely listed "reasons" why he shouldn't be nerfed. That's your opinion that they aren't valid reasons, to me they are. I claim no agenda of anti nerf, I say let it flow with what they are currently doing and see how it goes. I can see how some of what I said may be construed as "personal attacks", but they are true in many instances and writing them off as "personal attacks" attempts to block the truth that exists behind them.
    You call the "nerf crowd" offering facts, but really they are just opinions as well. Sounds like circular logic to me.
  • @J7000 And I'm sick of you and others constantly hijacking threads to post insults and other non thread important information. If you want to post, post your counter for his Poe nerf. Otherwise, get the **** out. Im done wasting my time with you guys.

TLDR: Its a Poe thread. Discuss Poe or leave.
  • goobstoob wrote: »

@goobstoob Lots of facts there. Good one. Post about Poe or leave
    @J7000 And I'm sick of you and others constantly hijacking threads to post insults and other non thread important information. If you want to post, post your counter for his Poe nerf. Otherwise, get the **** out. Im done wasting my time with you guys.

TLDR: Its a Poe thread. Discuss Poe or leave.

I fail to see the Poe discussion in this post...seems like a "personal attack" on @J7000 and myself if you ask me.

One additional comment on the issue at hand about perspective:
    I also can't speak to the whale population or the constant top 5 population (i've only been in there once and my server just reached level 70s a week ago). I can only speak from my gaming experience. Completely taking Poe out of the game with reduction of speed is a severe nerf. He will be unusable within my synergy (probly still pretty okay on a full resistance team). I have said before and I'll say it again, if the new changes don't balance enough, maybe look at the turn meter reduction portion of resistance bravado as the next balance attempt.
    I just don't think it should all happen at once.

When did it become only okay to post absolute facts??? Such a thing hardly exists in a video game thread. It's all opinions, and I believe all opinions have the ability to be voiced. You're welcome to read/respond or not, doesn't matter to me. I will still comment on your opinions and share mine.

• @goobstoob Okay, so leave his speed. Having a top tier tank that can protect your squishies is fine. It's the job of a tank.

So leave his 2 turn taunt. He can be burned down, and that's his job. Taunt enemies and take damage. He's a tank.

So, let him keep his old expose chance. It's what makes him unique.

Now, keep his time meter reduction as well. But MAKE IT RESISTABLE like every other effect. Is that so bad? Would that really demolish Poe? A high tenacity team could have a chance at not going last, and tenacity leaders would see some use. Is that afwul?
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    M9silent wrote: »

I think it's totally relevant to the discussion that many of us are tired of feeling like any effective team we developed and farmed is just going to be immediately smashed because folks refuse to adapt to the current meta. The meta WILL change regardless. Its my position and you don't have to agree or like it. Many are sick of the constant Nerf threads and I'm not even talking about ONLY Poe. But that's relevant to me. We are also sick of the constant raging when folks don't get thier way with every other change in the game. I was one of these hulks before but I choose now to trust the devs and watch what happens. The game is very young and it's too soon to be so irate with the devs and community folks.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    There is ABSOLUTELY a "nerf crowd" agenda...
    Is there? Let's see...
    however I don't believe it exists to "nerf everybody", it exists to nerf characters that they either:
    Or maybe the opponents of the nerf like having an overpowered character and don't want to lose their advantage.
    Or maybe the opponents of the nerf want their own play style to continue to dominate.
    Or maybe the opponents of the nerf are used to beating non-meta teams most of the time and are afraid of losing this.

Gee, look how easy it is to erect strawman accusations based on nothing.

Now let's look at some facts:
    - Much of the call to nerf Poe has come from people using Poe. I have Poe.
    - Much of it has come from whales who have every character and can adapt instantly to any meta change.
    - Poe is used by nearly all top 20 and increasingly top 50 teams on mature shards. It is rare for me to even find someone not using him.
    - Poe allows a team to go multiple times and severely restricts your options to combat the opponent or have a chance to win.
    - This, combined with the ability to target non-Poe teams after the patch, will make Poe even MORE prevalent than he is now.

I am proudly in the camp that says Poe should be nerfed. Not only should he be nerfed, he should have been nerfed a month ago, before the level cap increase that made him into a monster. If they had listened to the guys from Team Instinct and others who warned them IN ADVANCE that Poe would dominate PvP when he got 143 speed and had made the adjustment at that time, things never would have gotten as bad as they are now.

I am in the "nerf Poe" camp based on my own experiences, on factual evidence, and my desire for a more diverse game in which many different builds are possible. Anyone who doesn't like that can try to provide a reasonable counter-argument for why he shouldn't be nerfed. Nobody seems to be able to do that, so instead they resort to childish name-calling, complaining about post counts and making up gibberish about "nerf crowd agendas". All of you can go fly a kite.
    TL;DR: Poe needs to be nerfed for reasons laid out multiple times. If you disagree, make rational arguments against it. If all you have to contribute is attacking other posters, you have nothing to contribute at all.

1) Prudence. They already lowered their stats and made worst in a very sensible way.

2) Other chars are used even to a larger extent than Poe. Example, Sid and Phasma are more prevalent in many many Arenas. This completely invalidates your argument based on char popularity. Either you do posts abiut nerfing all three every time, or you have a clear agenda here.

3) Counters: there are so many counters to him. You want tonuse your old strategies. What is wrong with the more than 5 Poe killer variantes TeamInstinct and ithers have posted? Or is TeamInstinct only valid when it supports you point.

4) No basis: why can't a char have the kit of Poe? Proven to be beatable, being less prevalent than Sid/Phasma, and being on a temporary cap, and with even new F2P killer anti Poe capabilities I don't see how Nerf or Not Nerf is more a matter of taste an opinion...

5) Diversity. While Poe allows anyone to mive the turn meter, it's the only way to use turn 9-11 glass canons and chars that are generally squishy. There is nonother Tank in the game. When the game started the Taunters acted when your chars all had +70% of HP most of the time. Damage has moven earlier, and damage per turn has grown abysmally in time. Tanks as they are are not just UP...thenuse of Poe is a reflection of Poe being the only Tank that does what originay every other tank did. Buff other Tabks and Poe will benused much less.

6) The char was sold as is. Nobody complained in the first month. Just like Rey, complains start after you start to lose chars. At that Point developing a hedge or counter will take you a month. A month from now UNNERFED Poe will be so less useful. As people get to see your composition and change on every single battle, whenever there is Poe, they will use anti Poe. Who'd want to jeep running him, except for those that have only a like for that, vs ither even better setups? (Like massive Asssits or Massive AoEs?

Can we please see your 7* Poe max stars, level 7 abikity and max gear? I am curious. I know you spend a lot, but your 7* Poe gives you extra credibility (I must say) here....

@goobstoob Okay, so leave his speed. Having a top tier tank that can protect your squishies is fine. It's the job of a tank.

So leave his 2 turn taunt. He can be burned down, and that's his job. Taunt enemies and take damage. He's a tank.

So, let him keep his old expose chance. It's what makes him unique.

Now, keep his time meter reduction as well. But MAKE IT RESISTABLE like every other effect. Is that so bad? Would that really demolish Poe? A high tenacity team could have a chance at not going last, and tenacity leaders would see some use. Is that afwul?

@Preemo_Magin What about my suggestion? To make his reduction resistable. Would that destroy Poe? Anything that affects an enemies team should be able to be resisted. So they have a chance.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I think it's totally relevant to the discussion that many of us are tired of feeling like any effective team we developed and farmed is just going to be immediately smashed because folks refuse to adapt to the current meta.

Please. When Poe first came out, sentiment was that he was underpowered. Then a few people discovered what he could do and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. He's a cheap and easy farm, F2P, and so everyone started putting them on their teams. Everyone knew they were doing this because of how powerful he was. And everyone also knew that this meant there was a good chance he would get nerfed.
    Heck, half the game got him for free!
    It's fine to ride the gravy train but eventually it ends.
    And this is great:
    Its my position and you don't have to agree or like it.
    Followed immediately by:
    Many are sick of the constant Nerf threads and I'm not even talking about ONLY Poe.
    The nerf threads are other people's opinions and you don't have to agree or like them.
  • @M9silent I would agree, that if things seemed grossly out of hand with poe after this update, looking at the turn meter reduction portion of his skill is the next logical step.
    As I've said, I will go with the flow, but I will not accept the rage against poe teams or devs for not doing enough as "fact".
    I personally at this point don't see the problem with Poe. Yes I use him, and yes I face him in arena a lot. I am personally okay with this, I can only speak from my perspective. I trust the dev team and will not rage against this change with his lowered tenacity which will make him die quicker and his lower expose %. I personally want to see where it goes next.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    I think it's totally relevant to the discussion that many of us are tired of feeling like any effective team we developed and farmed is just going to be immediately smashed because folks refuse to adapt to the current meta.

Please. When Poe first came out, sentiment was that he was underpowered. Then a few people discovered what he could do and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. He's a cheap and easy farm, F2P, and so everyone started putting them on their teams. Everyone knew they were doing this because of how powerful he was. And everyone also knew that this meant there was a good chance he would get nerfed.
    Heck, half the game got him for free!
    It's fine to ride the gravy train but eventually it ends.

It's easy to say that about a toon if you are someone who has seemingly spent more on the game. cantina shipments definitely aren't the easiest farm for me as I get the day's energy and 1 refresh as a f2p. which means average 5 shards a day. it's not the hardest, but not the easiest and I spent considerable time. I can see how if it took much less than that for you, you have no problem just getting rid of him. that opinion doesn't make sense to people who had to take the time to work him up. i dont play a lot of games like this and I did not see a "nerf" coming. I also didn't get him for free, I started playing at the beginning of january.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    . Completely taking Poe out of the game with reduction of speed is a severe nerf. He will be unusable within my synergy (probly still pretty okay on a full resistance team). I have said before and I'll say it again, if the new changes don't balance enough, maybe look at the turn meter reduction portion of resistance bravado as the next balance attempt.
    Great! We are on the same page then. I dont want to nerf Poe. I want to seal the possibility of first turn wins, be it Poe, or FOO, or any future speed 143 turn manipulator char. Let Poe taunt at 143 speed if you want. Just remove the "I-do-5-things-in-a-row" option.

I'm currently theorycrafting a team like this:

Poe goes first. He removes 25% TM.
    Phasma uses Marching Orders. My team gets TM and acts all together.
    Clone Sargeant AOE. Enemy team loses 50% TM.
    Moff Tarkin shoots basic attack.
    darth Maul AOE.
    Phasma acts again (enemy had been stripped of their TM) and AOE slows.
    Moff Tarkin AOE and strips 60% TM
    Clone and Poe shoot
    Darth Maul chainkill everything.

Other options exist with Lando or Assajj too. More options will come, as they release more and more chsracters. Poe (and FOO) ability to enable 5 actions before enemy act opens a door to all kind of unbalanced stuff.

Let him taunt. I dont care. Tanks are fine. Time walking at 143 speed is too much
  • @goobstoob And I was okay with 99% of him, even before the patch notes released. I still don't think it's fair to have ability debuffs that can't be resisted. That's ****. All debuffs should have the chance to be resisted, unless against a specific group. Such as: Darth Vaders basic can't be dodged or resisted by Jedi. Fair enough. Poe Damerons turn meter can not be resisted by First Order troops. Perfect.

But to have no one be able to resist the affect is OP and crap. Everyone should have a chance to defend, and tenacity should be able to block turn meter reduction.
  • Triqui wrote: »
    . Completely taking Poe out of the game with reduction of speed is a severe nerf. He will be unusable within my synergy (probly still pretty okay on a full resistance team). I have said before and I'll say it again, if the new changes don't balance enough, maybe look at the turn meter reduction portion of resistance bravado as the next balance attempt.
    Great! We are on the same page then. I dont want to nerf Poe. I want to seal the possibility of first turn wins, be it Poe, or FOO, or any future speed 143 turn manipulator char. Let Poe taunt at 143 speed if you want. Just remove the "I-do-5-things-in-a-row" option.

I'm currently theorycrafting a team like this:

Poe goes first. He removes 25% TM.
    Phasma uses Marching Orders. My team gets TM and acts all together.
    Clone Sargeant AOE. Enemy team loses 50% TM.
    Moff Tarkin shoots basic attack.
    darth Maul AOE.
    Phasma acts again (enemy had been stripped of their TM) and AOE slows.
    Moff Tarkin AOE and strips 60% TM
    Clone and Poe shoot
    Darth Maul chainkill everything.

Other options exist with Lando or Assajj too. More options will come, as they release more and more chsracters. Poe (and FOO) ability to enable 5 actions before enemy act opens a door to all kind of unbalanced stuff.

Let him taunt. I dont care. Tanks are fine. Time walking at 143 speed is too much

honestly, I would love to see that in action lol. yes it would get old if you got killed by it over and over, but if you took the time to plan all that out and it worked just like that, I have to admit I'd be impressed!
This discussion has been closed.