Recent change to Galactic War - open conversation

Replies

• LukeSkywalker420
    460 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Player Level 63 Arena Rank 60 lost one character (Poe) and used zero retreats with Lumi as leader whole time.

You got easy matches, want a cookie?

Just trying to show that not everyone gets ridiculous matchups everyday. I already had a cookie. Thanks for the offer. That makes 13 GW completion days in a row.
  • Irul
    55 posts Member
    I go against current but i liked the changes to GW. Before it was too easy to complete. I admit that i hit a wall after the change and did not finish it for few days but it allowed me to test many combinations and strategy. I think I became a much better player after and it helped me a lot in arena and the way i fight. After that, i managed to finish in top 20 arena and even clinched 1st place once (which i did not expect). I am almost f2p (bought first basic offer and the 100 gems for 21 days) and level 65.
  • ReeYees wrote: »
    It is supposed to be hard, i cant understand this topic. If someone cant finish GW... what? All games got a hard mode, Soul Hunters mountain of bla bla bla, is more hard than this. Keep trainin toons, and maybe in a few days you can finish this ****. I hope devs dont fix anything, at begining i was not able to finish always, maybe 1 of 3 or 4 GW. Now i can finish always, and im FP. Why? Cause this game (and all mobile games) needs hours of play... And yeah, my english sucks, sorry :neutral:

You are missing the point. I spend hours and hours, and I decided to spend some money too. Just like clockwork, as soon as I bought some packs, the game got more difficult. I think this is most people's complaint. If you re-read this thread you will see a pattern. Most of the F2P people aren't having as hard of a time. They don't want to frustrate you because they haven't **** any cash out of you yet. Just because a person decides to buy a chromium pack or some crystals shouldn't mean they are bound to keep spending money to advance.

It seems that spending money on the game actually makes it harder rather than easier. I have to spend even more time and resources trying to get ability mats because they are rare. One of the main places to get them is through GW but They have made GW impossible for me to complete. It's a double edged sword. I decided to spend thinking I could strengthen my squads a bit faster when in reality I shot myself in the foot because now I'm targeted as a p2p.

I can regularly get into the top 50-75 in AS, I often have to wait to level to open up new encounters on DS, LS, and CB. So I'm obviously keeping up. So that being said... Why is GW being made impossible for some but others admittedly have a cakewalk through it?
  • Player Level 63 Arena Rank 60 lost one character (Poe) and used zero retreats with Lumi as leader whole time.

Just trying to show that not everyone gets ridiculous matchups everyday. I already had a cookie. Thanks for the offer. That makes 13 GW completion days in a row.

A stopped clock is right twice a day.
  • Player Level 63 Arena Rank 60 lost one character (Poe) and used zero retreats with Lumi as leader whole time.

A stopped clock is right twice a day.

Lol
  • Until the dev come out and explain the matchmaking process we will never know. I personally think they won't. It's frustrating I know, I don't know what the answer is, but because I am a f2p player, my expectations are just not as high since I have to grind for everything. It does not mean that I don't try. I can't control what team I am facing, but I can control what I have and maximise what I have to give me a small chance of success. Anyway I play with a smile on my face, and don't let it overtake my enjoyment.

Good post. You are absolutely right. In some ways I wish I hadn't spent any money on the game. Then I would have no expectations. Normally I don't spend money on mobile games but I was really enjoying this one. One night I was supposed to go out with some friends and it fell through. So I said "what the heck... I would have spent money out tonight so I will buy a chromium pack and some crystals instead". Then I bought some more crystals at a later date.

I had finished GW a few times before that. Since then I have not been able to finish it once. I think it's pretty obvious what's happening here.

Then on top of it, yesterday, after trying a hundred different combos to take down an impossible squad... I finally had them on the ropes... But when I tried to target their nearly dead healer the game wouldn't let me even though nobody was taunting. I know they mentioned there is a bug fix coming for this in the pending update but it doesn't help now. So on top of spending money... I spent it on a product that doesn't work at the most inopportune time.

In the end it's just a game for entertainment but since I have spent some bucks I now feel invested in it.
  • Hi all -

I know I've been away from this thread for a couple of weeks. I have been reading and keeping an eye on the conversation, though. I wanted to give it a bit of time for people to have a chance to play with the new Retreat for a while, and share their thoughts. Thank you all for taking the time to provide your feedback and perspectives.

Feedback on GW still seems mixed:
    • Some like it.
    • Some don't like it.
    • Some find it too hard.
    • Some find it too easy.
    • Some think we're evil, we broke the game, and should go hurt ourselves.

As always, you can't please everyone. :)

I had my own account reset a little less than three weeks ago. I'm playing through this time as completely FTP. I'm currently at level 49 and have 13 characters. I've been able to complete GW each day I was able to get to it (I don't have an exact record, but it's been a big majority of the days since I hit 40).

I wanted to do that to ensure I could correlate my personal experience to what people were talking about here. (My previous play through had a lot of spending and thus a lot of characters.)

And, I do expect some will say that since I'm only at 49 I'm not experiencing their full GW concerns. That may be, but I'm playing it as fast as I can. :)

However, I did want to mention two things:
    1. First, having listened to the feedback here, and reviewed the data of how people are doing in GW, we are planning on making a change to the opponents you'll face in GW. Currently, as people have noted, you can get paired up against players who are a "significant" number of levels above you. (Quoted because it's a subjective assessment.) We are planning to restrict the level variance much more than is currently happening. I don't have an exact date for this change, and we'll update you once that's locked. We're hoping that this will lead to a better experience overall. That being said, I do want to re-iterate that GW is meant to be hard. You are likely not going to be able to complete it every day.
    2. Second, we are having conversations internally about how to grow this feature. We have some interesting ideas -- and have heard some good ideas here in this thread as well. This change is longer-term. We have the February update coming next week, and that's locked. We also have plans locked for the next release which @EA_Jesse will speak to once we're well past the February update. So, to set expectations, the earliest GW would be augmented would be after that next release.

Hope that helps. Happy to hear your thoughts.

BTW - As some have mentioned, this thread may have run its course. I do want to hear reactions to my comments above, but we'll likely close this thread if the conversation is either wrapping up or going in circles.

Thanks!
  • I like this "We are planning to restrict the level variance much more than is currently happening."
  • Mr_Eel
    124 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Haven't lost since the update, 15-0. The retreat mechanism makes it hard to lose if you're willing to blow the other guy's cooldowns on a junk squad and bring in the A team. I can see how the f2p teams running Chewie (don't do this) have difficulty winning for sure. I steamroll 8+ of y'all every night. Run dps and heals. Tanks are for special occasions in GW.

My usual A-team? Phasma lead, Sidious, Kylo, JC, Barriss. JC with Lumi would work fine for f2p instead of Barriss until her cantina node becomes available. I don't lose a single character. If he has a Poe, I bring in my Poggle and my Poe. That's my only adjustment.
    Post edited by Mr_Eel on
  • Ty for the update and all the hard work!
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    @CG_JohnSalera - Thanks for the update.
    May I make a suggestion? There are a lot of frustrated complaints from people who can't get through, and they are usually between levels 40 and 65. The usual answer they get from people who try to help them is: "this is intended to be difficult, end-game content". The obvious question in their minds then must be: "then why open it up at level 40"?
    I think it's good that people get a chance to try it out early, and any rewards are better than none. But maybe some sort of message could be displayed to players when they enter GW for the first time each day to remind them of this, at least until they hit say level 60. This would help lower expectations, and be relatively low-cost to implement.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Thank you for that. Much appreciated! By the way J, what's your secret for completing GW? Go on don't be shy, I won't tell a soul. Lol.

Here's what I'm building: an assist-based party with a counter-attack sub-element.

TO BE CLEAR: This is not a recommendation as to how to play, nor the "only" way to be successful, or anything like that. I just happened to want to try this kind of party out. My last party was a stun-focused control party and I found that one to be a blast to play and quite successful as well. There are lots of ways to win. Caveat over... :)

My main party right now is:
    • Geonosian Soldier - Gear Level 6. Currently 4 stars and heading to 5.
    • IG-86 - Gear Level 5. Currently 4 stars. - Shards from Dark and Light side Battles, and eventually GW Shipments.
    • Dooku - Gear Level 6. Currently 4 stars - Got him at 3 stars from a Bronzium (for reals).
    • Fives - Gear Level 6. Currently 3 stars - Cantina Shipments
    • Jedi Consular - Gear Level 4. Currently 2 stars. Want to replace him, as he doesn't fit the focus of my party, but haven't decided with whom.

So far, I've been able to keep that party going with an occasional cameo by Talia to give a group heal.

However, it's quite possible that my party will eventually not be able to keep up with my opponents as I get into the later levels.

Time will tell. :)

Qeltar wrote: »
    @CG_JohnSalera - Thanks for the update.
    May I make a suggestion? There are a lot of frustrated complaints from people who can't get through, and they are usually between levels 40 and 65. The usual answer they get from people who try to help them is: "this is intended to be difficult, end-game content". The obvious question in their minds then must be: "then why open it up at level 40"?

I've posted a few times about this, but it bears repeating: GW isn't specifically end-game content.

It's more of a mid-game experience, which is why it opens at 40. But since your opponents scale with you, it can continue to provide a challenge as you progress into the later game.

Hope that clears that up. :)
  • I don't expect to be able to beat GW everyday. I expect to be able to beat it sometimes with sound strategy. Suicide squads will not work against a squad 10 levels higher and more heavily geared. They get wiped off the planet in a heartbeat. I am currently level 53 have about 22 toons ranging from level 53- 48 or so. I have been lucky enough to be able to keep most chars close to my player level because of having tons of training droids and credits but obviously many of them are not geared or have raised abilities. Basically 10-12 of those are level 50 shells in development.

Here is where the criteria for the match ups maybe flawed. If the program is seeing that I have 20 toons all at level 50 then perhaps it is thinking that I should be able to take down a level 60 7* purple geared squad by shear numbers. Guess what? It doesn't work.

Try sticking a level 50, 2* gear IV with tier II abilities squad into a battle against a 7* purple geared opponent. Even to try to use these chars as a suicide squad is useless. They can't even make a dent. Their debuffs always get resisted and they get wiped out with one critical hit. Even my main chars get resisted most of the time by a squad 10 levels higher (I'm facing a level 62 7* Luke today that is critting for 5500 a pop and I'm not even halfway!!!) Last time I checked level 52.... 4 and 5* aren't even going to survive that for very long let alone toons that are not up to snuff yet.

Basically what the Devs are telling me is that I have to keep 15 chars fully leveled, geared, and promoted to make it past even one grossly OP squad in GW.

How are people supposed to keep their main squad progressing if they have to constantly waste rare mats to keep a second and 3rd squad up to snuff in order to make it anywhere in GW? Especially considering that GW is one of the main places to get ability mats?? With the drop rate of ability mats in cantina being abysmal (especially blues and purples) and the ability mats challenge only about a total of 9 attempts per week, It is impossible to keep that many chars up to date.

Then on top of it I'm hearing the same nightmares from people that are level 60 having to face level 70 fully geared purple squads.

Its nice to hear that you are going to balance the match ups by level a little more and I would like to congratulate CG_ JohnSalera on finishing GW everyday! I would also like to know what you consider subjective about a significant number of levels??? Did you actually read all the posts in the thread? What do you consider a significant number of levels??? People have posted pics of squads 10 levels higher and fully geared. I would like to see you take your 13 toons and take down a level 59 squad with mostly 7 stars and purple gear.

I'm guessing since you have only been playing on your reset account for 3 weeks and you are completely f2p that you don't have very many of those toons heavily geared and promoted since that would be mathematically impossible. Also... I wish you had a p2p account of your own to compare it to since the change in GW occurred to see if there is any difference (not that you could or would tell us).

I finished GW like 3 of my first 4 times in the mid to late 40s. I will admit that I thought it was quite easy at that point (and I didn't even know you could retreat). It started me out against level 21 squads and progressively got harder as I advanced. It was too easy So I welcomed a change to make it more challenging. Since then I have not finished it once. Not even close really.

Perhaps I'm going about the game wrong. Maybe at level 52 I should have my main chars higher than 4-5 stars and gear level 6? I doubt it because I have had to wait to level to equip some gear. I seem to do just fine in other aspects of the game. So I think I'm keeping up.

So I guess my point is... Who knows... I could be a bad player. It's tough to say but I can tell you that a level 62 char can resist almost any debuff that a level 52 char throws at them and they can place a debuff on those level 52 chars with ease. I would like to see video of a level 52 5* or less squad taking down a level 62 7* purple squad and I will commend that person and shut up. Otherwise please find a way to make this more realistic. Hard is great. Frustrating and impossible is not.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I've posted a few times about this, but it bears repeating: GW isn't specifically end-game content.

It's more of a mid-game experience, which is why it opens at 40. But since your opponents scale with you, it can continue to provide a challenge as you progress into the later game.

Hope that clears that up. :)

Okay, thanks. I guess that's just another one of those things that gets passed around and I got caught by it. Hopefully the adjustments to difficulty will make it easier for lower-level people.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Hi all -

I had my own account reset a little less than three weeks ago. I'm playing through this time as completely FTP. I'm currently at level 49 and have 13 characters. I've been able to complete GW each day I was able to get to it (I don't have an exact record, but it's been a big majority of the days since I hit 40).

You had your account reset? Support told me they couldn't do it for me on iOS because I'm linked to my Apple account.

I wanted it reset (despite having nearly a 7* nightsister team) so I could avoid ranking highly in the arena. If I don't keep pace with the people I've previously outranked, that best historical ranking will forever be working against me in GW matchmaking.

It cannot remain a part of the formula. I understand it is only part of the formula, but no matter how small that part is, it will always be an albatross.

I get not wanting to let people game the system by downranking intentionally. Might I suggest taking the arena rank out of GW matchmaking altogether?

Thank you for getting back to us. I really hope we can get a post from you guys in the near future about how the system works and how you plan to change it. I imagine you are hesitant to say much about it, especially after backlash from what has already been disclosed, but changing the formula won't do much to lift my spirits and help me stop feeling regrets about my account if I don't know about it. :/
  • Mr_Eel
    124 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    When I was level 52, I had a 4* phasma, 5* sid, 5* kylo, 6* JC, and a 5* Barriss, all gear 6. I beat a level 61, all 7* purple geared team that had Poe, Dooku, Lumi, Sid, and QGJ. I sacrificed 5 toons in the mid-thirties to eat the cooldowns and brought in the A team. After 7 retreats, I finally won. The number one thing in this new GW is this: let no one die, and keep trying.
  • Puglio wrote: »
    You had your account reset? Support told me they couldn't do it for me on iOS because I'm linked to my Apple account.

It's something one of our server engineers had to do for me. We don't support it as a feature. They have to go in and manually wipe my account.
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Hi all -

I know I've been away from this thread for a couple of weeks. I have been reading and keeping an eye on the conversation, though. I wanted to give it a bit of time for people to have a chance to play with the new Retreat for a while, and share their thoughts. Thank you all for taking the time to provide your feedback and perspectives.

Feedback on GW still seems mixed:
    • Some like it.
    • Some don't like it.
    • Some find it too hard.
    • Some find it too easy.
    • Some think we're evil, we broke the game, and should go hurt ourselves.

As always, you can't please everyone. :)

I wanted to do that to ensure I could correlate my personal experience to what people were talking about here. (My previous play through had a lot of spending and thus a lot of characters.)

And, I do expect some will say that since I'm only at 49 I'm not experiencing their full GW concerns. That may be, but I'm playing it as fast as I can. :)

However, I did want to mention two things:
    1. First, having listened to the feedback here, and reviewed the data of how people are doing in GW, we are planning on making a change to the opponents you'll face in GW. Currently, as people have noted, you can get paired up against players who are a "significant" number of levels above you. (Quoted because it's a subjective assessment.) We are planning to restrict the level variance much more than is currently happening. I don't have an exact date for this change, and we'll update you once that's locked. We're hoping that this will lead to a better experience overall. That being said, I do want to re-iterate that GW is meant to be hard. You are likely not going to be able to complete it every day.
    2. Second, we are having conversations internally about how to grow this feature. We have some interesting ideas -- and have heard some good ideas here in this thread as well. This change is longer-term. We have the February update coming next week, and that's locked. We also have plans locked for the next release which @EA_Jesse will speak to once we're well past the February update. So, to set expectations, the earliest GW would be augmented would be after that next release.

Hope that helps. Happy to hear your thoughts.

BTW - As some have mentioned, this thread may have run its course. I do want to hear reactions to my comments above, but we'll likely close this thread if the conversation is either wrapping up or going in circles.

Thanks!

the second best part of why i like this: a sense of humor to go along with the informative stuff.
    mighty chlorians
  • Puglio wrote: »

It's something one of our server engineers had to do for me. We don't support it as a feature. They have to go in and manually wipe my account.

Ah. Well, I think part of the reason for complaints (and for your success in GW on the fresh account) is that to succeed in GW, you have to level in the right way, and that way does not become apparent until you have probably already invested heavily in a handful of characters and let others lag behind. A character that is even slightly underleveled can be basically a nonfactor in a GW battle you are struggling with.

Even after unlocking the table, a player won't figure this out right away. Generally games I've played have avoided the possibility of leveling "wrong." The GW does, and I don't expect that to change. We just aren't used to it and don't expect it. We are basically set up to fail, at least at first.
  • Crusader
    36 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Sounds like a good set of changes. However (and this may change I guess at the top tiers) but in my last levels from when GW opened to my current lvl 46 - it's a pain in the **** when you meet 3-4 teams that are several levels above you. My last 2 days I had my characters at lvl 45 and then a lvl 46 and I had several teams of lvl 53 characters WAY overpowered. One of those teams literally mopped up the floor with me (my highest ranked and geared characters) while I barely managed to kill one of them. THAT IS NOT FUN!

I understand some challenge, but perhaps limit it to UP TO 1 or 2 levels form what your current level max. What is currently happening is atrocious. It's like PvP-ing with your 10,000 power team against someone at 12,000 and expecting to win ... and then do it 3 more times in a row.
  • It's more of a mid-game experience, which is why it opens at 40. But since your opponents scale with you, it can continue to provide a challenge as you progress into the later game.

Scaled? Really? How does that explain going up against groups that are as much as 15 levels higher than mine, 6 and 7 star, that are full geared? I'd really like to know how this lop-sided match-making works because it doesn't seem all that scaled to me.
  • DrpPnts4Food
    224 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    GW is annoying because you can complete it 100% of the time. The problem is when you come across the hard teams that you just keep resetting until you get the right RNG. This can take 1+ hours if you are persistent.

The game isn't rewarding strategy or skill. Just rewarding you to sit there and keep clicking. BORING AS HECK
    Tekken 7
  • Tonight can only clear 5 nodes, thanks EA, **** you.
    No wonder you won the world's worst company award.
  • Here is my thought on the new GW. **** the new GW. Second day in a row against a completely maxed out team at my 7th fight. Sent multiple throw away squads & finally killed them. Then I get a mostly maxed lv69 team. I got totally distroyed. I know GW is supposed to be difficult but this is impossible. I guess I'll have to wait until lv70 to win another GW.
  • Terminex
    37 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    We are planning to restrict the level variance much more than is currently happening

Here's a question for you. Is the match-up based on your *player* level, or the level of the heroes in your squad? Along those line, I've been wondering something for a while, and maybe you can shine some light on this:

Am I shooting myself in the foot by not keeping my top team maxed to my player level, but rather trying to keep my top 20 or so upgraded? I'm player level 69 currently, I've got 40 characters, and have been studiously updating around half of them, and casually updating the rest. My lowest level character is 34, and lvl 4 gear, more than half have lvl 6 gesr, and my top 12 all have purple (7 or 8). Most are between lvl 50 and 60, with a handful above 60 (6* Phasma is 67, 4* Vader at 53, and so on, 5* Lucia at 53, and so on.

Am I playing this game wrong? Is my player level what's killing my GW experience, since I don't have my top squad maxed out?? I used to look forward to GW the most every day, and now it's the grindiest, most frustrating part of the game for me.

Having complete 12 GWs total, I haven't gotten more than 3/4 through since the 1/28 update (yes, haven't beaten ONE COMPLETE WAR since 1/28). I completed the 10 GW achiement, opening the 50 completions achiement. Should I just never count on obtaining this? This has been SUPER frustrating to me, just ask my wife when I suddenly go full sailor while we're sitting peacefully on the couch and Duku/Sid+3 steamroll me, again.

I've spent about $10 on this game so far. I've contemplated spending more to get myself out of this rut, then I stop and think about the sinkhole this could become, and don't. The money I spent before was mostly to afford some Chromium packs, but I think having *too* many characters, and not just min-maxing my 'leets, has been my downfall.

P.S. My GW opponents about 3/4 through are lvl 53-56, with 6-7 stars, and litterally destroy me every time.
  • Terminex wrote: »
    We are planning to restrict the level variance much more than is currently happening

Here's a question for you. Is the match-up based on your *player* level, or the level of the heroes in your squad? Along those line, I've been wondering something for a while, and maybe you can shine some light on this:

Am I shooting myself in the foot by not keeping my top team maxed to my player level, but rather trying to keep my top 20 or so upgraded? I'm player level 69 currently, I've got 40 characters, and have been studiously updating around half of them, and casually updating the rest. My lowest level character is 34, and lvl 4 gear, more than half have lvl 6 gesr, and my top 12 all have purple (7 or 8). Most are between lvl 50 and 60, with a handful above 60 (6* Phasma is 67, 4* Vader at 53, and so on, 5* Lucia at 53, and so on.

Am I playing this game wrong? Is my player level what's killing my GW experience, since I don't have my top squad maxed out?? I used to look forward to GW the most every day, and now it's the grindiest, most frustrating part of the game for me.

Having complete 12 GWs total, I haven't gotten more than 3/4 through since the 1/28 update (yes, haven't beaten ONE COMPLETE WAR since 1/28). I completed the 10 GW achiement, opening the 50 completions achiement. Should I just never count on obtaining this? This has been SUPER frustrating to me, just ask my wife when I suddenly go full sailor while we're sitting peacefully on the couch and Duku/Sid+3 steamroll me, again.

I've spent about $10 on this game so far. I've contemplated spending more to get myself out of this rut, then I stop and think about the sinkhole this could become, and don't. The money I spent before was mostly to afford some Chromium packs, but I think having *too* many characters, and not just min-maxing my 'leets, has been my downfall.

P.S. My GW opponents about 3/4 through are lvl 53-56, with 6-7 stars, and litterally destroy me every time.

i'm lvl 65 with 6 lvl 54 toons, 2 of which are purple. 5 blue toons at lvl 50 - 53, and the rest lvl 47 or lower. Last 2 night's faced lvl 65 to 69 full purple geared 6* and 7* squads. Impossible to complete GW now and I don't get the match-making because I haven't upgraded any of my top toons for weeks, and now I'm facing the impossible dream teams all of a sudden. It's crap like this that tells me NOT to spend money on this game, especially games that revolve around luck instead of skill.
  • Terminex wrote: »
    This should have read: "my GW opponents about 3/4 through are lvl 63-66 with 6-7 stars, and litterally destroy me every time.", sorry
This discussion has been closed.