Tanks

Prev1
This forum speaks a lot about high crit and damage characters and not so much about Tanks....

I have chewie at 4* - gear 5, and Plo koon at 3* - gear 4, and these seem to be extremely useful with consular and if i pick another hero healer for leveling... Sometimes only used these 3 and left out Jawa(3*)and Resitance trooper(2*) fx.(4-L) so i could get a 3 star win, the last 2 just cant take any damage, dies quickly and gives me a 1 star win..

Chewie and PLO also do well in Arena, with talia and consular, no prob beeing in top 50/100 and beating higher power opponents..

I am level 39 and will soon start GW ... How do tanks do here???, what characters should i persued before going here??.. I am asking because i am about to make a choice in Cantina shard...thinking about "Fives" ... But that would be my 3rd Tank .. Am i gonna have my a.. Kicked in GW??

My team is this:

Chewie 4*
Doku 3*
Plo 3*
Consular 3*
Talia 3*
Jawa 3*
Resistance trooper 2*
IG 86 2*
= all in end 30'level and 3-5 gear

nightsister inititive 1*
Royal Guard 1*
=start 30, lebel and max 2-3 gear..

Snow trooper 1* - level 27
Clone trooper 1* -level 17 ( not used much)
And Ewok 1* level 1 ...never used

I am 20 shard away from SID in arena...

Any thoughts.. Advice ?

Replies

• Stop what you are doing right now! Invest all tokens into luminara. Keep Chewy around, but dont invest into him more than 4* gear V. He will help you get over some hurdles, but unfortunately, he cant carry you. Luminaria can!
    5s is a really good tank, and is able to keep 2 targets slowed for the whole fight. I am working him up slowly, along with han because i have some plans for team synergy way in the future. I only work on these guys when all of my primaries are hitting a further development wall. In both cases, their tank capabilities are simply a bonus, as it is their skill unlocked abilities im after.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • You're velcome.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Do not invest in Chewie, he really starts to drop off at level 30, I would work on consular, talia because they are still pretty viable, but you need to start working on luminara.
  • Time
    293 posts Member
    My friend has 5 stat chewie and swears by him. I dropped mine because he has among the worst attacks in the game and i hate having a char thats useless most of the time.
  • Chewy is weak but he turns fights in my favor with his taunts. Use what works for you.
  • @HavokTrigger: who do run with your Chewie? I'm so debating this myself because a well timed taunt could just give my lower health, high damage dealers the time they need. I'd hate to blow the resources and be wrong.
  • Chewy at 5* gets a really nice bump in stats and his STR multiplier goes to 6.4. Depends on how you use taunt. I actually use Chewy in GW as he's "safe" for me and can protect me (Dooku especially) if stuff hits the fan. I had my JC and Dooku at one hit till death in GW today (vs. Ben, Dooku, Lumi, Barriss, and Sid) and Chewy had that taunt available. Gave enough time for Barriss to have her turn and heal...bam. After that I decided that the taunt skill is great to have in your back pocket on your team. I had stopped pushing Chewy at 5*, but I'll continue to raise him up to 6* at least. Chewy is nice with the taunt then he can heal himself back up really well - so you can save the Barriss or other team heal for when more of your team need the heal and not just waste it on refilling Chewy. So he's self-sustaining. Not sure he's great in PVP, but for PVE and for GW, where there isn't a timer and you can grind out wins over many rounds - I think he's a nice tactical tool to have.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Chewie has his uses, he can be helpful on light side teams and in GW. But his one-round taunt and anemic offense were not enough for him to keep his job on my starting 5.
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Many of your characters are time sensitive and won't work long term. Second, farming their shards will be a nightmare. I had an almost identical lineup and used them until I could replace them. In my case Sidious replaced Talia and Luminara replaced Counselor. I'm still working on building Asajj, Boba and Daka for the rest. The only upgrades I did do with my original team was levels only, never shards...
  • @Kabbage I use Chewy because I don't have any other viable replacements. I tried swapping him with Talia but for some reason things just don't go nearly as well.
  • Chewie can taunt and he has a self heal... I don't see why all the hate. Add Luminari, Old Daka, Bobba, and Lando as leader and you have a solid team.
  • I would only ever use one tank (so chewie) as that's really all you need.

One tank
    Two healer's
    Two attackers

That's pretty much what I use. Then when I borrow an ally if it's a healer I'll swap one of my healer's for another attacker.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • SilverFox
    10 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Thx all

I made it to 40 today and won 8 matches in GW before i was trashed by a level 44 and simply did not have more durable characters to fight with...(i know about retreat and all :-)

Need to level up more char so i dont only have 5-6 durable ones...had to fight with my ewok who made a 3 damage hit the only time he had a shot

Its a kind of hard choice... Its pretty good to have like 5 chars you really work on..gives you succes in arena... But its just too few to battle with when youvare level 40 and going in GW
  • Anyone who says not to invest in Chewie (I'm looking at you Pilot) couldn't be more wrong. I used Chewie in every match of Galactic War today and just won my first ever Galactic War!

http://imgur.com/wnAd2el

It was Chewbacca, lvl 45 4* VI at 1/4 health, level 2 Coruscant Underworld Police and a level 1 Geonosian Soldier Vs Boba Fett at full health.
    He gets really boring but he's just so darn dependable.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    The question isn't whether he's useful but whether he's worth putting resources into compared to the alternatives. Everything is a trade-off. I like the fuzzball well enough but his abilities are limited and when you run into heavy hitters they tear through him. I would much rather face a team with a 6* Chewie leading it than a 6* Luminara.
  • IM_UR_UPGRADE
    223 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    We do not hate chewie, I agree chewie saves my behind in GW and his taunt allows me to burst down teams in GW; but for end game PVP a 7* chewie will not be as useful

Edit: Once i took chewie off my arena team I went from 200s to 100s and im about to break sub 100s easily
  • We do not hate chewie, I agree chewie saves my behind in GW and his taunt allows me to burst down teams in GW; but for end game PVP a 7* chewie will not be as useful

Edit: Once i took chewie off my arena team I went from 200s to 100s and im about to break sub 100s easily

I think we overrate PVP though - much of the game is outside of PVP and you can make improvements on your PVP team by being strong at the other content areas. GW for example gives you tons of credits, which can be used to build your PVP team. Also, gives you tokens to farm good PVP toons like Lumi.

I still use Chewy in my GW first team - put in a healer heavy squad along with Barriss and JC. So I have a gear 7 Vader (who's in my PVP team), a gear 7 5* Maul, and a 5* gear 7 Ahsoka on the bench among other solid toons for GW. So far I'm 12/13 getting through GW and I'm at level 56 as of today. My Chewy is 5* and just gear 6. I haven't even lost a toon in GW the last 3-4 attempts. Ahsoka, Maul, and Vader are all better PVP toons and I've used them there as they deal more damage and that's key with the timer, but GW is a different animal with no timer and a gauntlet of battles against a wide variety of opponents. I try to have a team that gives me as much tactical choices as possible that I can use when needed. Now, this ends up making some of the battles slow, but it reduces the variance of my squad's performance and allows me to adjust.

Another great taunting player is Han - more offensive than Chewy as he gives turn meter to the team when attacked - it's sneaky deadly. I'm just a fan of taunt in general on your team -esp in GW or PVE - because you never know when you will have a key team member near death that would severely weaken your squad that could use some protection until it can be healed by another ally...and you never know when or against what team that moment may come when RNG just says...I'm going to pound / stun your best toon off the screen.

Taunt in PVP is just a less valuable skill because taunt is a more defensive tactic that can generally result in a battle taking longer...and with a 5 minute timer in PVP you can't afford to delay and give up a turn for a defensive tactic.
  • Reread my post. I suggested to use chewy, but not to develop your teams power arc around him by investing to have him above 5* gear V. I have a 5* gear VI chewy, who is still level 46 because currency for upgrading (credits, shards, abilitie upgrades, etc.) Become extremly pricy and are better used on heroes that can carry you. Chewy at 5/5/40 will still come in use, but he wont carry.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • SilverFox wrote: »
    Sometimes only used these 3 and left out Jawa(3*)and Resitance trooper(2*) fx.(4-L) so i could get a 3 star win, the last 2 just cant take any damage, dies quickly and gives me a 1 star win...

Yeah, this is the truth... I decided to finally crack LS 5 now that I'm L44 and the Jawa is squishie enough he's costing me stars before I can get Chewie's taunt up to protect him. Bad RNG that the Jawa was targeted, I guess.

That said, in LS 5-B, the stuff hits so hard, even when I got Chewie's Taunt up in time, he went from full to dead under the barrage of the attackers. They hit that hard. My Chewie is 5*/Tier V/L43.

As you get farther along and don't out-level the content by a huge margin, it seems controlling the opponent turn meters becomes much more important, which is something characters like Teebo (up to 75% turn meter) and the Clone Sgt (AoE 30% turn meter) can help with.

SWGoH Ally Code: 988-869-147 GM of [Elite Casual]
    May the Force be with you.
  • Dark Tanks

I only have Royal Guard (1*..soon 2*...not much when you are level 40) and spend my cantina on "Fives" instead of Boba...proberly a mistake...

But leveling dark side above 4 without any Tank.. Is that a prob? Seems to me my biggest prob is missing this type with taunt...and of course a healer

Any of you have something to share here...
  • SilverFox wrote: »
    Dark Tanks

I only have Royal Guard (1*..soon 2*...not much when you are level 40) and spend my cantina on "Fives" instead of Boba...proberly a mistake...

But leveling dark side above 4 without any Tank.. Is that a prob? Seems to me my biggest prob is missing this type with taunt...and of course a healer

Any of you have something to share here...

Royal Guard passive ability has a +25% chance to Taunt when any ally reaches 30% HP if you upgrade it to Level 3: http://www.swgohcantina.com/royal-guard/
  • my chewie is 5* mk vi. I only stopped working on him to spend cantina energy on consular and talia. I complete gw 5/7 a week and I'm in the top 60-100 in arena every day...without spending or refreshing arena chances.

once I get consular and talia to 5* each, chewie is next to go to 6* and eventually 7* alongside 5's.

he's not as bad as some say. yeah he's a brown lump but he does his job well.
    mighty chlorians
  • scootle wrote: »
    Royal Guard passive ability has a +25% chance to Taunt when any ally reaches 30% HP if you upgrade it to Level 3: http://www.swgohcantina.com/royal-guard/

I just fought an opponent that used royal guard at level 54. That ability kicked in a couple times, but it was more of a nuisance than a battle changer. I think that's the problem with tanks in general. I run Qui-gon and he has the ability to remove taunts with his second special attack. Ventress should be able to do this too.
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Kabbage wrote: »
    scootle wrote: »

I just fought an opponent that used royal guard at level 54. That ability kicked in a couple times, but it was more of a nuisance than a battle changer. I think that's the problem with tanks in general. I run Qui-gon and he has the ability to remove taunts with his second special attack. Ventress should be able to do this too.

add in windu. those buff removal skills are so annoying haha
    mighty chlorians
  • Teebo can remove taunts too, yup. They are of limited use if the opponent has buff-removal of any kind.
  • Please do not listen to that PILOT...he does not has any clues whatsoever other than luminara.....Chewcy is good if you combine with 1 healer and 1 half healer like talia....Luminara is good...Barris is liability as my team always climb the rank against any teams with her inside. It depends on what characters you have but calling some characters OP or bad is **** thing ever...
  • Speaking of tanks, I haven't seen much on these forums regarding my squad leader, Timmy. Timmy would pose a problem to Chewie, removing one good thing about him. PvP the ability to shut down Chewies taunt is excellent as it allows me to finish off a low health character before lumi/bariss heal them back. Also, Timmy's Guerilla Tactics I feel is a bit of an annoyance for the opponent, serving as a random Chewie taunt.

That said, I have yet to find the time to delve into the numbers of characters to determine mathematically which characters are superior to others, so the only thing I can say is what is already echoed above: use whatever works for you. My team needs Chewie to draw attention from my (as of yet) weak healers and he does a good job of healing himself up afterwards. I look forward to the day where Chewie is made obsolete by Timmy's effectiveness, but as of yet I'm the only player actively rocking the little Ewok.
  • Chewie is nice when attacking PvP or playing GW. He is bad defending because his taunt can be neutered. I think long term Fives or Teebo are much better options than Chewie and I am still contemplating investing heavily in the Royal Guard strictly because his 25% chance to taunt can really turn the tide if you're defending PvP or playing a tough match in GW.

I have to get more tanks anyway because I haven't been RNG blessed with any and can't clear the second level of the tank challenge with just two tanks. Stupid shatterpoint.
  • Take a look at Savage Opress, IG88 or HK47, they are farmable and I feel they may become a bigger threat when promoted...
  • IG88 is not tank. His abilities are quiet awesome though..