Does Mods have an influence on ships ?

Prev1
518 posts Member
Hi,

I was just wondering, does mods have any influence on ships ? Because I would have wanted to now why some are stronger than mine at equivalent gear/faster also at some point ?

Replies

• Yes. Not as much as gear on the pilot, but it's a good place to put unwanted 5 dot, level 15 mods you got bad rolls on.
  • Yes, they do.
  • If it affects the total power of the character, then it affects the total power of the crew member hence affecting the total power of the ship that the character pilots, and mods do in fact increase the power of any specific toon.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Only the primary stats are being taken into account regarding ships. So +30 speed on arrow or offense on the square e.g. Not sure if the set bonus' also count towards raw fleet stats. Power doesn't say much tho (don't get your best secondary stats on pilots).
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Dhoey321
    1629 posts Member
    yes
  • Does the speed you get from mods also go towards the fleet?
  • This is a more interesting question then I first thought. Do the stats affect your overall ship stats? I'm not so sure. I think it may just be an overall power increase, scale of base stats. Does anyone have a source or know how the mod stats affect the ships? Do primary stats on the mods really correlate and or add to the stats of the ship as one poster suggested?
  • IvoB1987
    494 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    What I've read is that stats or set don't matter at all. so any 5 dot lvl 15 mod is as good as any for ships
  • Austin09370
    850 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    My understanding is that while the specific stats themselves don't influence the ship, the power that they generate for the character does. With that said, all mods aren't created equal even for ships. You'd want to use mods that increase the character power the most to get the biggest benefit in ships.
    518 posts Member
    I know for sure it influence the chars and so the power of the ships, but the question was more about : what happen if we speed mod a char ? Does it affect the ship too ?
    Does any mod, not necessarily speed, affect the ship in other way that power from the pilot.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/79552/mostly-inclusive-guide-to-ships/p1

This will help.
    Guest wrote: »
    I know for sure it influence the chars and so the power of the ships, but the question was more about : what happen if we speed mod a char ? Does it affect the ship too ?
    Does any mod, not necessarily speed, affect the ship in other way that power from the pilot.

Mods help to ships is directly related to dot count of the mod and lvl of the mod. The stats of the mod mean nothing. 5 dot mod lvl 15 all you need from a mod to improve a ship.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/79552/mostly-inclusive-guide-to-ships/p1

This will help.

Mods help to ships is directly related to dot count of the mod and lvl of the mod. The stats of the mod mean nothing. 5 dot mod lvl 15 all you need from a mod to improve a ship.

This goes against my experience. I was number 8 in fleet arena last night and every enemy I faced was a lower level, had the same ships in weaker form, less of them, and I cannot even do damage to a single ship because they are 3x as fast and of course 99% potent and tenacious.

The only way to account for this is mods. You cant have a 1* ship to my 3* 5-10 levels lower, and get off an entire round of attacks in between each move unless you are a whale with full speed mods. My pilots are 4-6* and gear 7 or 8, the max they can be at my level. How can a weaker team be 3x stronger and faster without mods?
  • Yes. Not as much as gear on the pilot, but it's a good place to put unwanted 5 dot, level 15 mods you got bad rolls on.

This

This will help.

Thanks -- I forgot there were real numbers attached to all that stuff.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

This will help.

This goes against my experience. I was number 8 in fleet arena last night and every enemy I faced was a lower level, had the same ships in weaker form, less of them, and I cannot even do damage to a single ship because they are 3x as fast and of course 99% potent and tenacious.

The only way to account for this is mods. You cant have a 1* ship to my 3* 5-10 levels lower, and get off an entire round of attacks in between each move unless you are a whale with full speed mods. My pilots are 4-6* and gear 7 or 8, the max they can be at my level. How can a weaker team be 3x stronger and faster without mods?

I would suggest you perform actual tests...

When you say the enemy had same ships in weaker form.. what do you mean exactly? Did you look at their speed stats? Look at the pilots? A lot of power comes from the pilots themselves. My Tie Fighter gets 28% of his speed from the pilot level, gear, mods and abilities.

On my Tie, all with 5dot level 15 mods. If I swap out my arrow speed primary with a speed primary level 1, my ship speed goes down 1 whole point. If I replace it with a 5 dot level 15 arrow with Critical avoidance... my speed goes up one to the original amount.

So while there could be something to the types of mod you have provided 0 evidence. There for the common knowledge on the subject stands... and that is dot and level are the only way mods effect ships.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

This will help.

Mods do count, but the stats on them do not.

How you ask, here are some things you may have missed(or at least didn't mention):
    Ability lvl ( both ship and pilot)
    Dot count on mods
    Mod lvl's
    Star count of opponent pilots
    Lvl of pilots

Pilot stats are way more important then the ships and everything matters, even ability lvl. Check out the link I provided earlier, it goes into great detail.
  • Just to make sure I'm understanding this right. Mods on the pilot don't change stats of the ship?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Just to make sure I'm understanding this right. Mods on the pilot don't change stats of the ship?

The stats on the mod dont. The best setup is 5 dot mod at lvl 15. It could be any set, primary and secondary stats, those values mean nothing to ships.
  • Also note on the link above Mods don't really make that HUGE a difference. If you are not actively using a pilot, it's best to just throw any unused 5 star mod on them. Star and character level affect the numbers the most, by far.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
    Just to make sure I'm understanding this right. Mods on the pilot don't change stats of the ship?

The stats on the mod dont. The best setup is 5 dot mod at lvl 15. It could be any set, primary and secondary stats, those values mean nothing to ships.

I understand what you're saying, I'm not asking my question clearly I think.
    I know that a mod does not DIRECTLY add stats to ship. +30 speed does not give ship +30 speed. But does having a mod contribute to ANY stats on the ship, more hp, damage? Or does the mod ONLY increase the "power rating"? Power Level does not add to stats or damage or health or anything useful, it's only a number. So if Mods only effect Power rating (which does nothing), then Mods don't do anything real.
    Am I backaswards or is that right?
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Yes... Though only the "dots" and level of the mod are a factor... meaning the best mod you can have on a pilot is 5dot level 15.

What set, primary or secondary stats have NO factor in the ship stats. They could be your worst unused mods as long as they are fully leveled and 5dot you are good.

Mods add to stats... in my example above... one of the differences of a level 1 mod vs level 15 was 1 speed stat on the actual ship (listed in blue as part of crew stats).

Power Level is just a numeric representation of ALL STATS of a character/ship. It is purely a cosmetic way to judge the strength of a character or ship. Power will not change unless stats change.

Power is routinely misleading because it doesn't take any synergy into the equation. Also certain stats like health/protection count for more "power". This is the reason tanks tend to the be ones with 10k power where as attackers are 9k etc.

A team of tanks will always have more "power" than other teams, yet they have a poor chance of winning.

Ships power is even more irreverent with RNG. 15-20k power gaps is common.

I understand what you're saying, I'm not asking my question clearly I think.
    I know that a mod does not DIRECTLY add stats to ship. +30 speed does not give ship +30 speed. But does having a mod contribute to ANY stats on the ship, more hp, damage? Or does the mod ONLY increase the "power rating"? Power Level does not add to stats or damage or health or anything useful, it's only a number. So if Mods only effect Power rating (which does nothing), then Mods don't do anything real.
    Am I backaswards or is that right?
    All you have to do is unequip a mod from a pilot, check his ship stats, and you can see that the ship stats are lower than they were when he had the mod equipped. Without even doing any difficult math, it's obvious that the ship's health, protection, and damage output are going up & down.

The only part that really requires math is figuring out whether specific mod stats translate to ship stats (people who sound knowledgable are saying "no"), and what is the ship value of a high stat mod versus a low stat mod (they say "not much").
  • My understanding is that while the specific stats themselves don't influence the ship, the power that they generate for the character does. With that said, all mods aren't created equal even for ships. You'd want to use mods that increase the character power the most to get the biggest benefit in ships.

The amount of power that a pilot adds to a crew isn't based on their power, but rather their stats. Their crew power is based on the contribution they bring to the ship's stats. So their power has no bearing on their crew power or the ship.

• I am with people on the general confusion, however -- by numbers - JC is by far my best pilot. But FOTP, Ahsoka, 5's, Biggs, and Boba are all gear 10/11, all have 5* mods, maxed abilities, etc etc - where as JC is gear 8, only has four 2* mods. (all are 7* lvl 85).

I just don't get why JC has so much crew power. Add in FOTP, Ahsoka, and Boba Fet are in 6* ships and JC is only in a 5* ship -- he STILL has a higher crew stat.

I don't think I'm missing anything from what @Mageduckey posted. Why is JC so much more powerful?
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    I am with people on the general confusion, however -- by numbers - JC is by far my best pilot. But FOTP, Ahsoka, 5's, Biggs, and Boba are all gear 10/11, all have 5* mods, maxed abilities, etc etc - where as JC is gear 8, only has four 2* mods. (all are 7* lvl 85).

I just don't get why JC has so much crew power. Add in FOTP, Ahsoka, and Boba Fet are in 6* ships and JC is only in a 5* ship -- he STILL has a higher crew stat.

I don't think I'm missing anything from what @Mageduckey posted. Why is JC so much more powerful?

It's just an oddity of how the "power" stat is calculated. Health/Protection is a big factor and I would guess offense could be another.

JC just happens to be strong in the stats that get the most "weight".

JC is the most powerful in my fleet as well and sits as the 2nd re-enforcement, where his one-trick pony special really helps. If I get 5s leveled, JC will probably be bumbed for last.

• Jedi Consular's ship is one of a few that uses both special and physical damage in it's attacks (Fives's is another), so his pilot contribution bolsters both of those instead of how most only bolster the one that they use. It gives him and a couple other people a misleading power boost.
  • Mageduckey
    699 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    First of all, crew power is misleading; it is NOT what is used to calculate the stats contributed by your crew. Instead, the game finds your Crew Contribution Rating, adds that to the ship stats by multiplying it against the various stat modifiers (specific to each ship), then subtracts the ship stats and goes backward to find your Crew Power. Not sure why but that's honestly irrelevant. The point is that Crew/Ship Power, just like Character/Squad Power, is a terribly inaccurate means of gauging the strength of a squad/fleet.

Second, just like how character power is heavily skewed toward health and protection, ship power is heavily skewed toward the special damage stat. JC's ship is one of the few (Ackbar, Vader, Spy, and eventually Cassian's ships are the other 4) that actually has a special damage stat crew contribution modifier - meaning only those 5 ships receive any special damage from their crew. Consequently, they have much higher crew power because Rating is used to calculate stats but Power is "reverse-engineered". So the Rating, which is the only number of the two that anyone should care about, is multiplied by the special damage contribution modifier on those 5 ships, creating a higher ship power because whatever formula it uses emphasizes special damage. Since crew power is simply taking away the ship from the ship power, their crew power is also going to be inflated.

JC is far from the most powerful ship, both in terms of damage and utility (though his targetable assist attack is useful and does a solid chunk of damage). Please stop looking to ship power and crew power as any sort of indication about what ships are stronger or better.
  • Twin wrote: »
    Yes... Though only the "dots" and level of the mod are a factor... meaning the best mod you can have on a pilot is 5dot level 15.

What set, primary or secondary stats have NO factor in the ship stats. They could be your worst unused mods as long as they are fully leveled and 5dot you are good.

Mods add to stats... in my example above... one of the differences of a level 1 mod vs level 15 was 1 speed stat on the actual ship (listed in blue as part of crew stats).

Power Level is just a numeric representation of ALL STATS of a character/ship. It is purely a cosmetic way to judge the strength of a character or ship. Power will not change unless stats change.

Power is routinely misleading because it doesn't take any synergy into the equation. Also certain stats like health/protection count for more "power". This is the reason tanks tend to the be ones with 10k power where as attackers are 9k etc.

A team of tanks will always have more "power" than other teams, yet they have a poor chance of winning.

Ships power is even more irreverent with RNG. 15-20k power gaps is common.

I'm trackin like a TOW. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Woodroward wrote: »
    Jedi Consular's ship is one of a few that uses both special and physical damage in it's attacks (Fives's is another), so his pilot contribution bolsters both of those instead of how most only bolster the one that they use. It gives him and a couple other people a misleading power boost.

Actually Fives only uses physical damage. Ackbar, Cassian, Jedi Consular, Geonosian Spy, and Vader are the only ones that have a crew contribution modifier for special damage, and of those only Ackbar, Cassian, Jedi Consular, and Geonosian Spy even deal special damage (Vader's basic is physical).
  • If the MOD affects the PILOT it will affect the SHIP.

Simple guys....
    I 'd love to be a Jedi... But I sure as hell would use the dark side too...