Poe Dameron balancing

Replies

• I would try other tanks but I havent even had a chance to unlock them. I have had Poe since I started. Now working on getting enough Jedi for event.
  • Poe isn't the Problem, that's the Problem.

Redfactor wrote: »
    There is game imbalance between dps and health. Dps too easily kills toons. Either reduce dps or give health boosts to toons.

This overly powerful dps provides Poe too much power with this turn manipulation. As the game is currently played, the first team that has Poe taunt wins. His turn meter manipulation prevents the other team from doing anything until 2-3 characters are dead.

Poe wouldn't be an issue if toons had more health or dps wasn't able to massacre the other team before having an opportunity to utilize their team, too.

+1
  • Wow these posts are bad and lack the fundamental understanding of the situation. The complaints aren't of POE in general, but him in a vacuum with the 4 best min/maxed characters. If my POE goes first I will win all the time, granted you are facing AI in pvp. Poe in his current state does not create an enjoyable gaming experience, it is just an easy win button. I really would not mind my 7* POE getting nerfed, as I look at as the first step in many changes this game needs.

How can anyone say that if they win the POE roll it is fair my entire team goes first.
  • Wow these posts are bad and lack the fundamental understanding of the situation. The complaints aren't of POE in general, but him in a vacuum with the 4 best min/maxed characters. If my POE goes first I will win all the time, granted you are facing AI in pvp. Poe in his current state does not create an enjoyable gaming experience, it is just an easy win button. I really would not mind my 7* POE getting nerfed, as I look at as the first step in many changes this game needs.

How can anyone say that if they win the POE roll it is fair my entire team goes first.

This has already been proven incorrect. There are at least 5 counter teams.

Lol like what?
  • Smithie
    1427 posts Member
    Nutteralex wrote: »
    We will have to see if the dropped tenacity will change battles but as it stands he is too OP because of the mixture of his speed and the turn metre reduction. IMO he should be nerfed so he's not attacking first turn. If a Poe goes first in a fight its very unlikely you're going to win unless if daka or someone has RNG on their side. The problem is they can have their whole team move before you can make one.

It's not complicated really. But if after the update he's much easier to be stunned or healing immunitied then he'll be fine, but if not, not running Poe is gimping your team, even if you can build something else that's good.

The only people who say he doesn't need nerf are the people who use him and know he's OP.

These people are the people that pay for him either by grinding or brought packs. Its the principle that myself and others have grinded paid for energy and decided to level him over other characters. Wont this give the advantage to the people that decided not to level Poe and 7*ed another character. Making Poe unusable from a nerf then I would suggest everyone that paid foe crystals brought packs contacting Google play or Apple and get your money back for the crystals spent
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    If they just reduced the damage so that the battle is still relevant after turn one, then everyone wins. Poe still protects your backfield before your opponent can target them, but the opponent isn't dead before they get to do anything. They can heal, have a chance to dispel, all sorts of options! Problem solved.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • LukeSkywalker420
    460 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    So the guy I'm jockeying with for #1 on my server (some days he gets it, some days I do) uses the following lineup:

All level 70 and fully upgraded

Phasma (lead) 7 star
    Poe 7 star
    Obi-Wan 6 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Darth Maul 7 star

My team all level 69 and fully upgraded (except for the gear piece Qui-Gon gets at 70 which just adds physical damage so doesn't effect this).

Phasma lead 7 star
    Sidious 7 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Old Daka 7 star
    Count Dooku 6 star

My strategy is to fire Dooku's stun at Obi-Wan so he can't use mind tricks first round. I have Sidious use his AOE attack since he doesn't employ any healers. Then Poe taunts for him and it becomes a coin flip which Qui-Gon attacks first. With mine I use humbling blow on Poe which removes taunt and gives my entire team offense up for 2 rounds. With Phasma I give everyone 45% turn meter back and it's game over I win.

The times I've lost have been due to a weird bug that I can't explain. Sometimes his Poe gets to attack before either my Sidious or my Dooku. Dooku has over 160 speed and Sidious is in the 150's. Poe's is in the 140's (I've borrowed his). Yet, sometimes they let Poe go first, which not only taunts but lowers everyone's turn meter, which allows Obi-Wan to fire mind tricks before I can remove taunt and stun him. Game over for me. Has anyone else noticed weird CPU advantages like this? Whenever I borrow his Poe he invariable goes 3rd, after Dooku and Sidious, but when I attack him it's about a 50/50 shot whether Dooku or Poe go first.
    Wow these posts are bad and lack the fundamental understanding of the situation. The complaints aren't of POE in general, but him in a vacuum with the 4 best min/maxed characters. If my POE goes first I will win all the time, granted you are facing AI in pvp. Poe in his current state does not create an enjoyable gaming experience, it is just an easy win button. I really would not mind my 7* POE getting nerfed, as I look at as the first step in many changes this game needs.

Lol like what?

Here is one i found online. But obviously depends on the team makeup what the best counter squad to use.

• medetec
    1571 posts Member
    @Smithie

Isn't the idea to make Poe good instead of broken? Not go straight to garbage? Having a 7* Poe would still be super useful. I guess if they nerf him to trash tier then you should feel bad, but theres a lot of suggestions for tuning him down to "good".

As a tier 1 speed taunt with aoe expose and the ability to proc offense down, without meter reduction hes still the best tank.
  • @LoveLoveRice I agree. If Rey goes first it's also 4 vs 5 and Poe is dead. But if Dooku goes first it's also 4 vs.5 as any Jedi will not move (and be down like 5k).

A problem with Poe is that if you REMOVE turn meter or fighting in turn 7 he is totally useless (in current DMG/hp meta) - a char that will be one shot next (guaranteed by the taunt), that did no damage (except maybe 0-3 time delayed Exposes with the nerf) and that did not protect anyone. So why would you have have a char that in the best scenario adds less than a Rey, Leia, QGJ, GS, etc? I am playing today and Poe was one shot in 3 or 5 games. This are higher end teams and one shot means from 100% to 0% in one chars turn...

So (in ultra competitive servers):
    1) Eliminate speed or time meter -> useless char
    2) Taunts first in the game -> autowin (although some will be turn 6 later like Dooku)

This seems like a call to make Poe's turn meter manipulation resistable as a genious person commented earlier.

... It is high risk because it may nit go first. If it goes first it can delay 3 chars randomly and you can't count on cookie cutter scenarios. You are very vulnerable to high Potency teams...you may have just wasted a turn.

• All people against Poe as is should start with:

The Taunt, the Speed and even the Expose are not the problem.

His Turn Meter Reduction allows all his team to attack ahead of yours. Most times they destroy your whole team in that one attack. That is the problem.

Both sides come up with arguments supporting their POV and about DPS and beep, then suddenly someone would jump in "Windu, QGJ, dispel taunt".

And we of course have the macho folks marching in with "whine, boo hoo, so many whiners here, makes me cry", lol!

News flash, whiners, this thread is specifically for discussion on Poe. Like him or hate him, this is the place devs want you to vent/praise/support whatever. You don't like to discuss him or the people discussing him, get out of this thread.

Back on track, I think the subject should be put to rest. I'm getting out of this thread myself as the same points are being repeated ad nauseum. And to top it, we have the intrusions as pointed out above. Let's just get on with the game. Me, I just 4 starred and max geared(the agility thing is missing) my Poe. Occasional top 10 to 20, I barely manage to make it to top 50 past few days. And apart from the top 20 or so, few are lvl 70. It's going to get way tougher for me if I don't get him starred up as fast as possible. Try to enjoy the game, folks!
  • Tak wrote: »
    I'm not saying this as a counter that I built - but using Poe I'm having trouble vs. Daka / Lumi combinations recently that are maxed out 7*+ gear. I nearly lost with a speed team vs. a Lumi / Daka squad that didn't even have Poe on it today. Example of a team I had some serious issues with:

Phasma leader
    Lumi
    Daka
    Sid
    Kylo

I'm continue to see the traditional speed meta on shakier footing. Versions with Poe + Daka + Lumi + Kylo + Sid are particularly tricky. You have a tough choice on who to focus down. That's still Poe ... but I'm not sure the damage / health / DPS component we saw before is still holding. I'm seeing tanking /healing versions start to be on par with glass cannon / speed / non-heal versions. Was testing some with a Barriss leader vs. these teams and having some success tanking / healing without using Poe. If you use on average tankier heroes and heroes that are maxed in their health at 7*, you can survive damage pretty well.

Phasma and Kylo I feel are critical pieces to have. Tanking+aoe ... but phasma especially with speed down and round 2 meter control is very good.

I run this time and do ok...BUT and that's a big but. More often than not I'm down daka,Sidious snd lumi before I get a chance to move. This is not a skill issue or learn to play. I'm currently trying to star up savage as well to see how he does.

The fact of the matter is my team suffers tremendously without using my own Poe and the ability to see I'm now not running Poe in arena means I'll have a very hard time getting back to number 1.

Tldr you can beat Poe teams but for example today I lost 7 games in a row and only beat that team because daka ressed and lumi healed. I'm ok with meta being what it is but I'm not ok playing a turn based strategy game and losing more than half my team before I can respond.

That needs to change

are you running 7* max versions of those characters?
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    So the guy I'm jockeying with for #1 on my server (some days he gets it, some days I do) uses the following lineup:

Phasma (lead) 7 star
    Poe 7 star
    Obi-Wan 6 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Darth Maul 7 star

My team all level 69 and fully upgraded (except for the gear piece Qui-Gon gets at 70 which just adds physical damage so doesn't effect this).

Phasma lead 7 star
    Sidious 7 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Old Daka 7 star
    Count Dooku 6 star

My strategy is to fire Dooku's stun at Obi-Wan so he can't use mind tricks first round. I have Sidious use his AOE attack since he doesn't employ any healers. Then Poe taunts for him and it becomes a coin flip which Qui-Gon attacks first. With mine I use humbling blow on Poe which removes taunt and gives my entire team offense up for 2 rounds. With Phasma I give everyone 45% turn meter back and it's game over I win.

The times I've lost have been due to a weird bug that I can't explain. Sometimes his Poe gets to attack before either my Sidious or my Dooku. Dooku has over 160 speed and Sidious is in the 150's. Poe's is in the 140's (I've borrowed his). Yet, sometimes they let Poe go first, which not only taunts but lowers everyone's turn meter, which allows Obi-Wan to fire mind tricks before I can remove taunt and stun him. Game over for me. Has anyone else noticed weird CPU advantages like this? Whenever I borrow his Poe he invariable goes 3rd, after Dooku and Sidious, but when I attack him it's about a 50/50 shot whether Dooku or Poe go first.
    Wow these posts are bad and lack the fundamental understanding of the situation. The complaints aren't of POE in general, but him in a vacuum with the 4 best min/maxed characters. If my POE goes first I will win all the time, granted you are facing AI in pvp. Poe in his current state does not create an enjoyable gaming experience, it is just an easy win button. I really would not mind my 7* POE getting nerfed, as I look at as the first step in many changes this game needs.

Lol like what?

Here is one i found online. But obviously depends on the team makeup what the best counter squad to use.

So your team is :
    Phasma lead 7 star
    Sidious 7 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Old Daka 7 star
    Count Dooku 6 star

You know what would make your team better? If you remove the useless Sid and add Poe in his place. You don't even have him as leader, and like you said enemy team didn't have healers. Sid damage is bad too. Gte Poe in his place to increase the burst on exposed characters with Qui gon. Aoe expose damage is better than Sid aoe cause it can be triggered as single target burst too. Also he gives turn meter manipulation and taunt.

It's already proven that there isn't any counter Poe team that it wouldn't get better if it had Poe in it...
  • Rolf wrote: »
    If they just reduced the damage so that the battle is still relevant after turn one, then everyone wins. Poe still protects your backfield before your opponent can target them, but the opponent isn't dead before they get to do anything. They can heal, have a chance to dispel, all sorts of options! Problem solved.

It's not damage though - it's heroes you're using. Nothing in the game is going to one-shot kill a maxed out 5s. Same for Barriss - same for Kylo. Generally, there are few instances when anything over 10k is truly ohko and done. As you get to 12k+ things can survive round 1 barrage.

When you say damage is skewed, what are you using and what are you facing? I do think there's a lot of damage up front, but toons with a lot of health can survive at a high rate.

• So the guy I'm jockeying with for #1 on my server (some days he gets it, some days I do) uses the following lineup:

Phasma (lead) 7 star
    Poe 7 star
    Obi-Wan 6 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Darth Maul 7 star

Phasma lead 7 star
    Sidious 7 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Old Daka 7 star
    Count Dooku 6 star

Facepalm* So you are fighting a team with POE on it, that's not the POE team. You are the kind of person I am talking about in my initial post, you just do not understand what the gripe is even about, No GS, Rey, or FOTP? I wish I could challenge you casuals and loser deletes.
  • CPMP wrote: »

Phasma (lead) 7 star
    Poe 7 star
    Obi-Wan 6 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Darth Maul 7 star

Phasma lead 7 star
    Sidious 7 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Old Daka 7 star
    Count Dooku 6 star

Lol like what?

So your team is :
    Phasma lead 7 star
    Sidious 7 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Old Daka 7 star
    Count Dooku 6 star

You know what would make your team better? If you remove the useless Sid and add Poe in his place. You don't even have him as leader, and like you said enemy team didn't have healers. Sid damage is bad too. Gte Poe in his place to increase the burst on exposed characters with Qui gon. Aoe expose damage is better than Sid aoe cause it can be triggered as single target burst too. Also he gives turn meter manipulation and taunt.

It's already proven that there isn't any counter Poe team that it wouldn't get better if it had Poe in it...

Actually, this is not always true - generally Poe will make a team better, but I did find a case where he wasn't a better option. I have a non-Poe counter team with Poggle / AOE tanks and when I put in Poe it actually is less effective. Reason being is that if I win Poe roll, Jinn can come back and dispel and now that team is hitting me back in round 1 with offense up. It's much more effective if I just let them blow their wad in round 1 and then respond back with fire at the back end of round 2. Since there are some really fast heroes on the other team, sometimes they can gain enough speed back after the Poe taunt to fight for initial turn meter with my slow tanks. That's bad if they have offense up. Poe also makes that less effective because I lose an AOE - 4 is more optimal to get enough kills / damage across the entire team. If I'm running Poe + Poggle in that team I just have 3 damage dealers and only 3 aoe.
  • Tak
    352 posts Member
    Tak wrote: »
    I'm not saying this as a counter that I built - but using Poe I'm having trouble vs. Daka / Lumi combinations recently that are maxed out 7*+ gear. I nearly lost with a speed team vs. a Lumi / Daka squad that didn't even have Poe on it today. Example of a team I had some serious issues with:

Phasma leader
    Lumi
    Daka
    Sid
    Kylo

I'm continue to see the traditional speed meta on shakier footing. Versions with Poe + Daka + Lumi + Kylo + Sid are particularly tricky. You have a tough choice on who to focus down. That's still Poe ... but I'm not sure the damage / health / DPS component we saw before is still holding. I'm seeing tanking /healing versions start to be on par with glass cannon / speed / non-heal versions. Was testing some with a Barriss leader vs. these teams and having some success tanking / healing without using Poe. If you use on average tankier heroes and heroes that are maxed in their health at 7*, you can survive damage pretty well.

Phasma and Kylo I feel are critical pieces to have. Tanking+aoe ... but phasma especially with speed down and round 2 meter control is very good.

I run this time and do ok...BUT and that's a big but. More often than not I'm down daka,Sidious snd lumi before I get a chance to move. This is not a skill issue or learn to play. I'm currently trying to star up savage as well to see how he does.

The fact of the matter is my team suffers tremendously without using my own Poe and the ability to see I'm now not running Poe in arena means I'll have a very hard time getting back to number 1.

Tldr you can beat Poe teams but for example today I lost 7 games in a row and only beat that team because daka ressed and lumi healed. I'm ok with meta being what it is but I'm not ok playing a turn based strategy game and losing more than half my team before I can respond.

That needs to change

are you running 7* max versions of those characters?

You bet. I usually take number 1 each day but I'm very close to caving and going all in on Poe too
  • So the guy I'm jockeying with for #1 on my server (some days he gets it, some days I do) uses the following lineup:

Phasma (lead) 7 star
    Poe 7 star
    Obi-Wan 6 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Darth Maul 7 star

Phasma lead 7 star
    Sidious 7 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Old Daka 7 star
    Count Dooku 6 star

Facepalm* So you are fighting a team with POE on it, that's not the POE team. You are the kind of person I am talking about in my initial post, you just do not understand what the gripe is even about, No GS, Rey, or FOTP? I wish I could challenge you casuals and loser deletes.

As stated this is not my team and example from a forum discussing Poe counter teams. Yes, they can be beat just not by you obviously.
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member

Actually, this is not always true - generally Poe will make a team better, but I did find a case where he wasn't a better option. I have a non-Poe counter team with Poggle / AOE tanks and when I put in Poe it actually is less effective. Reason being is that if I win Poe roll, Jinn can come back and dispel and now that team is hitting me back in round 1 with offense up. It's much more effective if I just let them blow their wad in round 1 and then respond back with fire at the back end of round 2. Since there are some really fast heroes on the other team, sometimes they can gain enough speed back after the Poe taunt to fight for initial turn meter with my slow tanks. That's bad if they have offense up. Poe also makes that less effective because I lose an AOE - 4 is more optimal to get enough kills / damage across the entire team. If I'm running Poe + Poggle in that team I just have 3 damage dealers and only 3 aoe.

Tank aoe? What is your team then?
    Its weird that you cant kill QGJ that fast. I 've seen tanks like ben get 1 shoted by expose + call assist attackers.
  • LoveLoveRice
    182 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    As stated this is not my team and example from a forum discussing Poe counter teams. Yes, they can be beat just not by you obviously.

If my POE goes first I can ;).
    Like I said the problem with POE really only impacts the top 1% and at this time no counter exists for POE going first+4 of the best toons. And this creates very boring game play.

I think when people read if POE goes first you lose, from their experience this is not always true. I beaten POE with Kylo Ren/phasma/lumi months ago as well, but those are not the "POE Teams" that people cry about. For the Majority of players, POE is probably not a problem at all.

I am just being that loud minority that is sick of the daily coin flip.
  • As stated this is not my team and example from a forum discussing Poe counter teams. Yes, they can be beat just not by you obviously.

If my POE goes first I can ;).
    Like I said the problem with POE really only impacts the top 1% and at this time no counter exists for POE going first+4 of the best toons. And this creates very boring game play.
    604.jpg

Not what I have read.

• So..
    There are 3-4 lvl 70 in my server.
    I'm lvl 66
    I can be Top10 daily (90-95%)
    But.. I lose if find poe team.
    2 cantina refill per day.

20shards of QGJ (from 7/8 pack when i started)
    0 shard of poe
    6.200 cantina tokens

So?
    I'm so undecided :/
  • d3gauss
    311 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    CPMP wrote: »

Phasma (lead) 7 star
    Poe 7 star
    Obi-Wan 6 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Darth Maul 7 star

Phasma lead 7 star
    Sidious 7 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Old Daka 7 star
    Count Dooku 6 star

Lol like what?

So your team is :
    Phasma lead 7 star
    Sidious 7 star
    Qui-Gon 7 star
    Old Daka 7 star
    Count Dooku 6 star

@JohnnySteelAlpha how does your poe counter team work at defending against poe? I have a team that can beat poe teams about 50% of the time; it depends if I can survive the first round and if the pieces I need survive. But my team will never be able to defend against a poe team, thus it is not truly a poe counter team.
  • I have no problem with Poe, I usually down someone before his taunt goes off.
  • So..
    I'm lvl 66

0 shard of poe
    6.200 cantina tokens

So?

Are you going to do the Jedi challenge for Yoda(i assume)?

• So..
    I'm lvl 66

0 shard of poe
    6.200 cantina tokens

So?

Are you going to do the Jedi challenge for Yoda(i assume)?

No this time..
    I have Barriss 4* (bronzium pack :smiley: ) lumi 7* , JC 5* , Ahsoka 4*... So i can't unlock him.

It's for my Arena Team.
    I can't decide because i suppose (as i can see) he will be nerf again.
    Or.. New toon , more tanky, with more speed, but without turn meter debuff.. I think it's possible..
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    A lot of the late arguments about not nerfing Poe seem to be "it can't be nerfed because I invested on him". That says nothing about him being ir not balanced.

This game will have seversl chars during it's life that will need a balance. It is a matter of fact, all games need to do it, even games with huge budgets and open plsytest servers with millions of playtesters have yo do it, sooner or later. SWGOH is not different. And those chars, now or in the future, that will get rebalanced, will also belong to people who had invested on them. And some of them WILL be rebalanced, regardless of Poe being or not, because devs are human and sometimes make mistakes that need correction.

So if you want him not to be nerfed, you should focus on arguments that show he is balanced. " I have invested in him" is not an argument that shows he is or is not balanced.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Enklave wrote: »
    If you nerf Poe anymore then there will no longer be a need for a tank might as well just carry another DPS. More needs to be done than just nerfing Poe's abilities to balance the game. Nerfing Poe will actually make it more out of balance. Right now where I am dont see the problem. I am running Poe and a lot of people are. But top 10 has a Han and a Chewbacca as leaders.

That doesn't mean they have no poe in their team. And try to play without Poe, you will see how fast your team die without him.

Because he steal your turn meter before you can do ****, then 1-2 toons die (depends on enemy team), then you make some damage to poe and enemy Lumi heals him. You are dead.

This is the flow of every match where I stands against poe team.

This is the whole purpose of using Poe. If you take away his turn meter reduction what advantage does carrying him give your team.
    What about taunt to protect your squishies, speed 143 to do it raster than any other tank, , AOE expose to add damage while doing ig, and offense down with his basic to reduce damage done, and self heal thanks to a passive and highest tenacity in game? You know, like other tanks taunt, just better? Those tanks you said a couple of poste ago that are seeing in top 10 in tour arena as proof they are ok?

• Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Smithie wrote: »

Yes I use him yes he is good but he can be countered by QGJ and still has above average health.
    No, he can't. Because QGJ can't get the turn meter back, or revive the 2-3 toons that are dead. It is funny how the defense for not nerfing Poe is both "QGJ can counter him" and "if you tske away his turn meter, he is useless". Guess what? Those 2 can't be true st same time. If the reason to use Poe is his turn meter, and without that he is useless, the QGJ (of anyone else, for that matter) can not be a counter for him. Because the reason to use Poe is his turn meter steal, and that cannot be countered or dispeled.

• I'm going to take a risk and dip back into a Hearthstone system comparison here. With the shard shop incoming its now (possibly?) an option for Capital Games.

When Blizzard nerfs a card in hearthstone, you have a limited timeframe after its nerf to scrap it for the full value it costs to create. Rarer cards scrap for more when they are nerfed. This is OPTIONAL for the player, they are not forced to scrap.

So say, for example, Poe Dameron is nerfed. You should have the option, if you want, to scrap him for a shard shop value equivalent to the shards you spent on Poe, to redistribute to another character 1:1 for characters of equal rarity (ie cantina shipment characters). OR just keep him becuase you like him and or think he's still great.

That should fix the "but I invested in this character" problem of balancing.
This discussion has been closed.