9/10 zaul teams funny?

Prev13
Hurkan
77 posts Member
I don't want to complain and I am not a nerf caller but do you think this is funny? I can also make a zaul team it is not problem but if everybody play with zaul why other toons and team leaders exist?
https://youtu.be/9IF8IrcPzBY

Replies

• xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    Hurkan wrote: »
    I don't want to complain and I am not a nerf caller but do you think this is funny? I can also make a zaul team it is not problem but if everybody play with zaul why other toons and team leaders exist?

I wonder when your shard will catch on to Rex L with triple cleanse because that usually trashes zaul
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    My shard only has 3 Zaul in the top 10. I guess there are at least 7 reasons other leaders exist.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Hurkan
    77 posts Member
    xReDeMpx wrote: »

I wonder when your shard will catch on to Rex L with triple cleanse because that usually trashes zaul

I can beat them it is not problem but I have to play with Rex or another Zaul.
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member

I can beat them it is not problem but I have to play with Rex or another Zaul.

Well every shard of course is different but that's typically how the meta has always been.

A team or two have usually always been at the top with a few teams being able to beat them.

This meta is really nearly no different
  • Hurkan
    77 posts Member
    This is a Feb 2016 shard and first time I see 9/10 same team. I think there is something wrong!
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    This is a Feb 2016 shard and first time I see 9/10 same team. I think there is something wrong!

Na not really.

Every shard is different.

I'm on a 2015 dec shard

In our top 10 we have approx 6 maul 3 Rex and I run nihilus L
  • Hurkan
    77 posts Member
    edited April 2017

Na not really.

I'm on a 2015 dec shard

Ok man you win. Maybe there is something wrong with me. Lets continue playing with zauls and rexs.
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member

Na not really.

I'm on a 2015 dec shard

Ok man you win. Maybe there is something wrong with me. Lets continue playing with zauls and rexs.

Your shard may change, they may of not of picked up on variety yet.

This is what my shard looks like

ObnlMAZ.jpg

ixUkxk4.jpg

HJqTZm5.jpg

• Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member

Na not really.

I'm on a 2015 dec shard

Your shard may change, they may of not of picked up on variety yet.

This is what my shard looks like

ObnlMAZ.jpg

ixUkxk4.jpg

HJqTZm5.jpg

This game is in a sad state if this what we consider 'variety'.
  • What do you want? Everyone should be forced to use different leaders? Or is it ok for people to copy one another's teams? Maul is not overpowered and neither is Rex. Lots of different teams can beat them. There is nothing wrong with the characters and if you see little variety it is due to player behaviour. It is costly and time-consuming to gear and mod characters so not surprising if many players play it safe and follow whatever the successful teams on their arena shards are.

Here's an idea. If CG made it cheaper to gear characters then more players would be willing to experiment and try different squads. That is the only way we will sustainably get more variety. But do we want everyone to have stronger rosters? Hard to get any advantage that way by working/spending harder to improve your squad.
  • Hmmm....looks just like my shard, except swap the zauls with the Rex's , lol!
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    People tend to forget that there's more to metas than just leaders. Even if there are only 3-4 viable leaders, the squads themselves vary a lot.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    the game design enables people to copy-paste teams. However, the game also provides an option to not go with the flow and remain competative.
    Anyway, i've played this game for over a year and i'll have to conclude that the players will continue to copy-paste teams to ensure "succes" and that the developers will continue to "manage" the game in a way that ensures an evolving arena "meta".
    As long as multiple teams can be competative in arena (even if it's only on offense) it will be acceptable imo. The fact that player chose to copy-paste teams rather than forming a team that's a bit more unique is not desirable, but it is what it is. Can't really put the blame solely on ea/cg.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    When a single leader defines the entire meta, it means something is wrong with it.

Zaul sure has counters, but the fact that you either have to use him or use one of his counters just shows that he's over the top. He defines the Arena by himself.

Additionally, Zaul is not fun to play against. I don't know why the devs decided that dodge needed to come back, but it didn't. It's a frustrating game mechanic that doesn't belong here. They also deemed it interesting to give an entire team 20% TM at the start of a battle because the speed mods situation wasn't bad enough. Throw some fun stuff on top like AoE Daze (wow so fun, let's shut down half the possible teams with just 1 debuff), stealth (because there's so many counters to stealth) and of course, crit immunity and insane life steal because why not.
    There, you have a toxic leader that shuts down everything.

But hey, the devs don't nerf toons. They'd rather introduce new expensive counters instead. And somehow everyone is okay with that, even though it does exactly the same as a nerf, but forces you to buy, farm and gear a new character.
    A nerf would allow other teams to exist without the need to use a specific counter. But most people here simply panic at the mere mention of a nerf because, let's be honest, most of them use Zaul.

You know when more than 70% of the #1 teams use either Maul or Rex, his counter, you can't really say that the game is balanced or diverse.
  • AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    Right this minute, the top 10 leads in my shard are:

4 Rex
    2 Maul
    2 Vader
    1 EP
    1 Nihilus

Throughout the day, it will change. Often there's even a Finn in there.

Nope... no variety at all. smh
  • 8 Maul, 2 Rex in my top 10. Variety.
  • Hurkan
    77 posts Member
    I just want to ask a question Zaul players; Are you enjoy playing againist another Zaul team? Isn't it annoying to play your all matches againist another Zaul or Rex team?
    I am already using a Rex lead team and I am capable of build a zaul team in a week but I don't want to do it. I don't want an arena shard with 20/20 zaul teams!
  • So who are people putting with Rex (L) to beat Zaul teams?
  • Stevesaint74
    898 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Dec 2015 shard top 10 leads:

1 QCJ
    3 Rex
    1 Vader
    4 maul
    1 Phasma (me)

11th-50th is most maul but maul is F2p and easy so I don't blame anyone using them to gain position but top 10 is highly geared and varied.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Sikho wrote: »
    When a single leader defines the entire meta, it means something is wrong with it.

Zaul sure has counters, but the fact that you either have to use him or use one of his counters just shows that he's over the top. He defines the Arena by himself.

Additionally, Zaul is not fun to play against. I don't know why the devs decided that dodge needed to come back, but it didn't. It's a frustrating game mechanic that doesn't belong here. They also deemed it interesting to give an entire team 20% TM at the start of a battle because the speed mods situation wasn't bad enough. Throw some fun stuff on top like AoE Daze (wow so fun, let's shut down half the possible teams with just 1 debuff), stealth (because there's so many counters to stealth) and of course, crit immunity and insane life steal because why not.

But hey, the devs don't nerf toons. They'd rather introduce new expensive counters instead. And somehow everyone is okay with that, even though it does exactly the same as a nerf, but forces you to buy, farm and gear a new character.
    A nerf would allow other teams to exist without the need to use a specific counter. But most people here simply panic at the mere mention of a nerf because, let's be honest, most of them use Zaul.

You know when more than 70% of the #1 teams use either Maul or Rex, his counter, you can't really say that the game is balanced or diverse.

non-zMaul counters are still able to beat zMaul teams.
    I can't really blame you for not liking to play agianst zMaul, but then again, wich meta did players enjoy playing against?
    The game has never been balanced nor will it ever be balanced. It's by design, and it brings more to the table than just revenue for EA/CG.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Hurkan wrote: »
    I just want to ask a question Zaul players; Are you enjoy playing againist another Zaul team? Isn't it annoying to play your all matches againist another Zaul or Rex team?
    I am already using a Rex lead team and I am capable of build a zaul team in a week but I don't want to do it. I don't want an arena shard with 20/20 zaul teams!

Actually I find playing the Rex+3x cleanse team to be very fun because it's a great squad. But I don't use Maul there - I switch to a DN leader and totally reconfigure my team. Bring in dooku and SO - bench EP and DM.

Then for the DN leads I switch back to zDV. So I actually end up getting more of my wins with DN leader and zDV leader - zDM I just use in the D slot mostly, unless there's some really weak zDM comp that I can face. Otherwise I really don't use zDM despite having him as my leader often.

Besides, your wall of Maul will fall :) Rex switch will happen over time - we were Zaul heavy a few weeks ago, but my LB is now 8 rex, 7 DM, 4 DN, and 1 zJinn. The zJinn team can get to #1 daily by the way. If you go top 25, we also have a Boba leader and another zJinn leader with.

Once Rex moves in, DN will move in - once DN moves in, you can use DV....and people should be using zJinn more with zBarriss and Gk - that squad is well positioned against any team to win it seems.
  • WenHandel
    165 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I use a zMaul team and I actually do enjoy playing against other zMaul teams. They all seem to be composed a bit differently. What I like is that all of the characters offer a threat and it is a constant challenge. It is usually not one quick kill and then the fight is decided. That is what I look for in a fight, something that keeps it interesting until the end rather than a first round victory. The dodges are no big deal to me.

I get a bit irritated with QGJ, General Kenobi, and Chaze teams. All the foresight and taunts slow things down, and not in a fun way. But you get through in the end and these teams totally collapse when one is dead.

Just my personal feeling. There is no right and wrong in this.
  • ZookaJ
    13 posts Member
    Ignore all the naysayers here , just go look at the swgoh.gg meta report (its not 100% accurate but still) that says Zaul is roughly 45% and Rex 25%.

If you folks call that variety ...

Plus Rex L pretty much needs GK + super good mods to thrive. I see Zaul teams climb the top 10 ranks with some G9/10 toons in their squads ...
  • VektorT
    111 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm a Zaul user myself and I must agree that this meta, along with Rex one, is super boring. Worst thing is having to defeat 3~4 Zauls in GG, each one taking a whole team to bring down... really freaking annoying.

By the way, something I learned from this forum is that don't matter how much f*up things are, a lot of people come here saying it's alright. Looks like the burning dog meme.
  • WenHandel
    165 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, it's probably true that Rex teams are mostly on the higher powered shards where General Kenobis are plentiful. That's why the meta report shows a lot of zMaul leads when some of us see something very different. I guess that's what I didn't get. On my shard zMaul is outdated so it is hard to think of him as meta when you've seen everyone drop him for something they feel is better.
  • Sikho wrote: »

This is 100% correct, especially about the stealth nerfs that happen that most people don't really seem to grasp. When you introduce new toons to counter other toons, those other toons have absolutely been nerfed.

Ideally, for the fun of the game, you would want to see a wide variety of arena teams. It's way out of balance right now. Just check the meta report.

swgoh.gg/meta-report/

• WR4TH0R
    170 posts Member
    Currently 5 wiggs/chaze, 3 zMaul a zVader and zFinn.in my top 10.

Of the wiggs not many if any of them have better mods, i can beat the ones running GK for their 5th without too much issues but its no pushover, however the teams running zBarriss as the 5th I need to pull in b2 and hope for good rng. So in my experience definitely not OP. Even the zVader team can offer up some resistance on a good day and he's certainly not struggling at getting 1st or 2nd at his payout.
  • spotremix
    1566 posts Member

for players like me who don't have a zeta maul and won't lead maul when EP is a far better lead.

i'm working on my maul now. just unlocked him the other day and he is 85 maxed abilities except his zeta g8 and fully modded.

it will be a while before i even unlock the zeta challenge. not a priority for me. i will never lead maul even when i get any zeta's. EP or nihilus lead is a far better option.

• There actually more variety than there use to be. No empire, no Jedi, no Sith, no Rex, no Boba just 18 out of 20 Wiggs+STH.

Whose fault is it, the players or the developers? There's very little balance in the game. People who try buck the trend rarely crack top 10 and end up 40-50 over night, get sick of it then go back to zaul/QGJ/Rex unless they spent $10k+ so have godly mods.

If they mad Ewoks viable I'd be running them in a heartbeat but everyone knows that will never happen.