Do you think the ability to see your enemy's team in Arena is good or bad?

Prev134
cosmicturtle333
5004 posts Member
edited February 2016
When I say good or bad I don't mean for you personally, I mean for the game.
My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.

Do you think the ability to see your enemy's team in Arena is good or bad? 303 votes

Good
48%
HyperalloynoogaboogaTSiTaSJJHReddplaguemasterringXziinJ7000The_Oklahoma_KidSyth_HunterIricsTooliodarksideShentuDragonSkitskalleClintos_FreshmakerVampire_XxJazzxErdathdogwelder79 146 votes
Bad
43%
dauz6063FakeRobbokgwzzRolfobiwan1011QeltarKaatFlyingSushiSubmarineManAmish_AceSkyeccfoocosmicturtle333jpiishSongAbyssVicVegaIM_UR_UPGRADEDraked3gauss 131 votes
Other
5%
FightonGalvineJabberwockyioniancat21EM650Jaqen_HgharoTradeMarkphroxenphyreTweetTrompOobydoobBigG8501FolsomTonyTromedlov13TheJanitorJohnnyudes5star5vesLutz 17 votes
I don't like your poll, where's my other option
2%
CptKlosspepelestatHaloWars29MillerKeyzer_SozeFhergurgfDeadHeadAndyInggold 9 votes

Replies

• Bad
    I'm not a fan of it.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Bad
    I thought I would like this when I first read about it. But then I realized they have done basically nothing to fix the cookie-cutter "taunt first / turn-meter games / DPS" problem, and now I think it's going to be awful.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Mixed. I'm probably going to get shuffled out of the top 20 right quick lol. And fall to the spots with few Poe's. Just how much I could work my way back up is the question. Don't have the roster to mix and match on a battle basis
  • 2Milly_htowm
    215 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Good
    Oh, look, someone 3 levels under me with 2k less power! And their leader is lumi like everyone esle. Lets play!

(Sid, lumi, poe, dooku, rey)

Ohhh noooo......

And thus EA let us see who we vs to fix this
  • Well, I'm sorta neutral. This is a change that helps those with deep rosters but doesn't really address the frustration of losing rank while defending.

We will have an even harder time defending. At least the matchmaking in arena got tweaked a bit.
  • Bad

1. It gives even more advantage to players over the poor A.I, resulting in little chance to defend rank
    2. Not knowing what to expect was half the fun and challenge
    3. Poe + dps teams will be avoided while others will be targeted brutally - expect to see more Poe + dps teams
  • Bad
    Qeltar wrote: »
    I thought I would like this when I first read about it. But then I realized they have done basically nothing to fix the cookie-cutter "taunt first / turn-meter games / DPS" problem, and now I think it's going to be awful.

Basically if I don't see a Poe I will be going after that team, which is not fair at all to those without Poe.
  • Good
    I like the idea of being able to craft a tailored team although its probably a bit early for many to take advantage. Hopefully it will give more variety to team comps
    Roger roger
  • Bad
    Guess it's time to pull my Poe off of the bench... I have successfully avoided using him for weeks and still kept in the top 20.

But since my anti Poe builds will be on hold to invest back into my Jedi I guess I will just have to give into the darkness and throw him back in.
    Maybe I will take top 3 again
  • Will be nice to avoid the Crouching Poe hidden FOTP teams. I have several heroes that I swap in periodically and use in GW depending on my opponents, so I can do the same in arena. But that means I might get defeated more on defense even though I dont have any of the p2w OP heroes that drastically lowers your team power # and then facerolls more powerful teams.
  • Other
    If you live in the top 5,10,or 20, it doesn't really matter. You already know what your up against. .......the name of the game 8 times out of 10 is very simple........
    As the POE turns@!...........

Who's poe proc'd 1st?!

Only the evade gods can save you butt.
  • Benr3600 wrote: »
    Will be nice to avoid the Crouching Poe hidden FOTP teams. I have several heroes that I swap in periodically and use in GW depending on my opponents, so I can do the same in arena. But that means I might get defeated more on defense even though I dont have any of the p2w OP heroes that drastically lowers your team power # and then facerolls more powerful teams.

Yeah, right. While you and everyone avoid Poe teams, guess teams like mine without Poe are going to be hit all the time. Dusting off my Poe and starring him up. Don't wanna drop to top 1000 otherwise.

Visibility would be great in an ideal world where everyone is balanced, but that kind of balance is just not possible. Someone or some team will always seem OP. No debate, please, on that last statement. Enough has been said on this forum, let's everyone agree to disagree.

In the meantime, I'll go along with the game. I've adjusted well enough to GW (finish it faster post patch, in fact), we'll adjust to this too. Nothing game breaking and lets face it, Poe is already mandatory.
  • Bad
    Bad.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Reyia
    1171 posts Member
    Bad
    I like to hide under my leader and give a surprise to whoever attacks me.
  • Good
    With a fairly deep bench (lots of leveling and gearing to do though, sigh), I very much welcome the change.

Fair point about tilting balance further toward the attacker. Combined with the targeting fix will, and weaker (though still good) Poes, it will be easy to beat opponents. Makes timing even more important for Arena, which imo isn't a fun way to play (all matches between 5-6). Let's hope defenders get some love sometime too (even just an assignable defensive squad, and maybe better AI).
  • Other
    It really depends on how its done. I don't think it will be nearly as bad if you are force to commit to attacking someone before seeing their team and picking your own. So you can still plan the best strategy, but can't cherry pick weaker teams.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Bad
    No question that it's bad for me until I get my Poe running full steam.

I initially felt that it'd be ok for the game because it just meant that higher power players appropriately get to have higher ranks rather than have to hope they hit the weaker targets. That seems fair. But with the endgame so focused on one character/strategy right now it just means that everyone is going to get pigeonholed into the same team.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Other
    In theory I like the idea because Arena becomes a little like GW in that you can pre-plan your roster to match up against who you're playing against and use a team to counter your opponent.

In practice however, checking teams is not going to be used as much for counter-play as it's going to be used for opponent selection. They just made it much easier for my F2P account to snipe a top 5 spot in rewards because I can just inspect all the Phasma/Sid teams to see who has the easiest lineup.

A band-aid solution I came up with was maybe have revealing the enemy team cost a small amount of Arena tokens. Like only 10-50 tokens to reveal your enemy. Not a huge investment that would cripple players shard farming but enough that you aren't just revealing every player in your battle to see what battle is the easiest. That way I might use my first 3 battles of the day normally, and then reveal for my last couple of battles to make sure I can snipe a position I want at rewards.
    GamingUpgrade.com - Gaming Guides | oTradeMark - YouTube Channel | Team iNstinct - Guild
  • Good
    Voted good,
    I belive it will force people to build more well rounded teams, if you build your arena team deep into a specific role you will be more likely to be countered easily.
    Strange analogy incoming--- If you are rock, a definite way to counter you is paper, If you are some mutated version of rock and scissors that came out of stewie's time machine then it would be more likely for you to be able to defend your position, your opponent would have a much harder time finding a definite counter like some nuclear radiated version of rock/paper.

The caveat to this scenario is when chars provide an extreme counter like jawas to droids.

Thinking long term, I am hoping it will add quite a bit more diversity to the game, rather than these typical teams with the same flipping leader all the time that makes the game boring. Maybe my own wishful thinking.
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Bad
    Feelsonumb wrote: »
    Voted good,
    I belive it will force people to build more well rounded teams, if you build your arena team deep into a specific role you will be more likely to be countered easily.
    Strange analogy incoming--- If you are rock, a definite way to counter you is paper, If you are some mutated version of rock and scissors that came out of stewie's time machine then it would be more likely for you to be able to defend your position, your opponent would have a much harder time finding a definite counter like some nuclear radiated version of rock/paper.

The caveat to this scenario is when chars provide an extreme counter like jawas to droids.

Thinking long term, I am hoping it will add quite a bit more diversity to the game, rather than these typical teams with the same flipping leader all the time that makes the game boring. Maybe my own wishful thinking.

Great idea, except the is no paper or scissors. There is only rock vs rock.
    Poe vs Poe.
    Anyone who went against the grain and doesn't have Poe will be slaughtered.

When heroes are more balanced and I have 20+ heroes fully geared I'll say it's a great idea. Until then I absolutely hate it.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Good
    This will make the top 10-20 pretty much cemented. There won't be room to snipe as it is now.
  • Zerx
    94 posts Member
    Bad
    Bad. For the reasons mentioned here and elsewhere.
  • Good
    Maybe it will give everyone a chance to bring it different teams to counter enemies instead of our boring top five guys.... Idk.
  • Bad
    Do you guys play pokemon? It is an art of unseen that makes it interesting!
  • Other
    Indifferent and don't feel like it will make much of a difference. Once you reach the top you are generally fighting against the same 10-15 players and you will see all of the relevant team comps between those players.
  • Other
    I think it will be a method for people to snipe ranks and choose the easy way out. I will probably be investing in a more heavy defense team since I will be getting super sniped lol
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Good
    Tbh no one gets an advantage in this! Everyone gets it to use to their own advantage. If used properly :) i personally would enjoy seeing this. Gives more of an opportunity to us all. Much less of a gamble but I also like the gamble haha im conflicted!
  • Bad
    I don't like it. Now I'm able to see what I'm up againts? That makes it way too easy to snipe and easier to get sniped. I really don't see the point, everyone has sidious or phasma as their team leader so it's easy to guess what they'll have next, however there are some people that have unique synergies that are made to surprise the enemy and I feel it removes that part of the game. Not only can you see what character you're up againts, but you can also see their stats? That's plain stupid
  • Other
    Don't know, I've never shied away from any team. I'm competitive like that though. Had similar success with and without him. I do have to think more when I don't use him. I'm still going to bring Bariss back someday!
  • Good
    Very good.

It avoided an issue that was threatening to rear its head: certain leaders "telegraphing" team makeup (ie, if you see a HK-47 lead you know it will be a droid squad) and others providing no insight to team makeup because of universal usefulness (Sidious, Phasma). Over time I was predicting a necessary move for players to the universal leaders to avoid being targeted with hard counter squads (like bringing Jawas and Eeth Koth to destroy the HK-47 example).

Now that will still hopefully happen with the new system, but it levels the playing field so all teams can be strategised against, which I think is a good thing for the game.
This discussion has been closed.