Quests Summary from a CG Developer (Mega)

Prev134
Vampire_X
1435 posts Moderator
edited May 2018
Hi Holotable Heroes,

Below you'll find a more in-depth look at our goals and intentions with the all-new Quests system, as told by a CG Developer:

"One of our objectives in the May update is to help players get to level 85 through a more guided and educational experience. There are so many exciting concepts to introduce to players as you progress that we want to provide short and medium-term goals to walk you through some of the game’s core concepts.

To this end, we are introducing a Quest system where players will be given up to 3 Quest tasks to complete from a handful of shady Cantina Characters. There are 6 Quest givers, each with different kinds of quests, roles within the Cantina, and personalities that should come through in the quest text. This is a chance to immerse players more deeply into the Star Wars lore and give players between level 1-85 goals and an opportunity to learn game concepts and new game modes. Quests tasks will either have you reach a goal to complete (Ex. Get 5 characters to 7 stars) or complete repeatable tasks (Ex. Win 5 Squad Arena battles). Of course, there are rewards and fun dialogue from the Cantina characters along the way!

We also want for players at level 85 to benefit from the Quests system, meaning there will be quests designed specifically for max level players to take on. The difficulty of the level 85 quests can vary greatly, Prestigious Quests are meant to be challenging, require level 85, and are composed of longer term goals to earn exclusive Titles through a series of quests. Other level 85 quests may have you participate in an event, spend ability materials, or hunt down a specific target like Jedi. There are 6 Prestigious Quests initially, each with their own Title to earn and display to the world! We will be reviewing feedback after the initial launch of Quests to see what kind of new quests would be most exciting for players.
Please let us know your thoughts on Quests!

Thanks."

FAQ:
Dralkyr asked:
Will players who are past the associated level have some chance to get those rewards? Like, there are rewards for the quests for a player at level 20 but not for level 85. Will those of us at 85 get the rewards from the quests below us?

There will be inbox rewards for those players that skipped over some of the quests they missed from level 1-84.
The rewards will be an approximate compensation of Character Shards, Credits, and Crystals for the quests skipped and are level banded (around every 5-10 levels) to scale the rewards based on the number of quests skipped.

UPDATED 5/23
SwarmyStargazer asked:
So, do the kills from simming battles, ie gw and nodes, count towards quests? That's a lot of wampa and jedi. Also, if I set my team to all jedi, when I sim gw does that count?

Simming a battle will not progress a Quest task that requires you defeat 75 Jedi, these kinds of Quests require that you manually battle to defeat the specified enemies! The reasons for this are that some Quests require that a specific character is present or makes the finishing blow. Also, we have some battles where the amount of enemies that show up are variable. In order to reduce complexity, we chose to have these Quests progress through manual battles only and not include the option to sim. In these kinds of Quests you can defeat the enemy in any game mode where that enemy shows up, both PvE and PvP!

Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
Post edited by CG_SBCrumb on

Replies

• Dralkyr
    457 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Typo here:
    This is a chance to immerse players more deeply into the Star Wars lore and give players between level 1-85 goals and an opportunity to learn game concepts and new game modes.

My question here is the same I posed on the TU megathread:
    Will players who are past the associated level have some chance to get those rewards? Like, there are rewards for the quests for a player at level 20 but not for level 85. Will those of us at 85 get the rewards from the quests below us?
  • I just hope the rewards are decent.
    A mk3 carbanti would be a nice quest reward. A couple training droids or 1000 credits not so much.
  • Ebbda
    261 posts Member
    I hope they add titles for gear donated and other aspects of being a good guild member.

Adding the requests to chat have had some mixed reviews but I see why they added it.

Curious to see what's ahead with this :smile:
  • Paarngfig
    112 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Wow! I get a title upon completion of each quest?!! That is soooooo exciting, I can’t wait to get my first title!

I mean really, a title.... can you believe it?! That is all I was hoping for since the game started (titles), now it’s reality. Unbelievable.....
  • Dralkyr wrote: »
    My question here is the same I posed on the TU megathread:
    Thanks for this question, I'll add this information to the original post.

There will be inbox rewards for those players that skipped over some of the quests they missed from level 1-84.
    The rewards will be an approximate compensation of Character Shards, Credits, and Crystals for the quests skipped and are level banded (around every 5-10 levels) to scale the rewards based on the number of quests skipped.

Also in response to the quote you've shared, our intention is to say players will have both new goals and an opportunity to learn concepts.
  • Paarngfig
    112 posts Member
    @evolusva, I am one of them and I will not... it’s ridiculous. I mean really, a title that you can display (woooooooooo)? Who cares?
  • 2asnos.jpg
  • Dralkyr
    457 posts Member
    Looks like I read that wrong the first time. Also, thanks so much for the clarification. That's awesome :D
  • And here come the troll posts because some people just can't be happy. Titles seem like a fine idea. It gives us an optional goal that has no effect on game performance. Sure, whales will likely be able to get the most exclusive ones--but if you don't care about getting the exclusive title then just do something else with your time. Looking forward to seeing how challenging the top-level titles are to get.
  • Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    Paarngfig wrote: »
    @evolusva, I am one of them and I will not... it’s ridiculous. I mean really, a title that you can display (woooooooooo)? Who cares?

Other games prove it works. We will see

I played one of those games. It was pointless and silly there too. And it was a GOT game where titles made some sense.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Some people will chase the prestige quests for titles, others won't care and ignore them - but what are they losing? This is a collection game, and chasing titles is just another aspect of that. If you don't care about titles, you can ignore them safely without penalty. Can't say that about much else in the game.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • TVF
    36575 posts Member
    kalidor wrote: »
    Some people will chase the prestige quests for titles, others won't care and ignore them - but what are they losing? This is a collection game, and chasing titles is just another aspect of that. If you don't care about titles, you can ignore them safely without penalty. Can't say that about much else in the game.

Agree. It's like complaining that CUP is in the game. Some people want to collect him. What's the harm?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Paarngfig wrote: »

Depends on the title. Pretty sure the best ones won't make it past the profanity filter though.
    "Quest Master" vs "Grand Inflictor of Butt Hurt."
  • Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Agree. It's like complaining that CUP is in the game. Some people want to collect him. What's the harm?

It's not "harm" really... And truthfully, I don't care they added them in the slightest... but... there is the issue of resource allocation. Were "titles" a thing the player base asked for? Never saw a request myself, but I don't deep dive in the forums myself so maybe I missed it. But there are A LOT of things the player base has asked for. From bug fixes to QOL improvements to actual gameplay requests. Instead of working on those requests... they worked on this. That feels a bit frustrating. And CUP is always meta! :D Legit, I will use him in TW with some other weak stunners when facing a solo CLS. Every toon has a place. Titles... less so.
  • TVF
    36575 posts Member
    Ok but how much was this worked on? What's the opportunity cost?

Hard to know if you aren't inside the walls.
  • GOWLIKEABOSS
    157 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Whiners here should be happy CG ever listens to the player base. I'm used to FAAAARRRRR worse from EA.

This team and their level of communication and responsiveness is amazing by what I'm used to.

I'm used to the key features of a yearly release being things no one wanted or will use, while major gamebreaking flaws are routinely ignored.

If you're legitimately upset about getting titles, you're spoiled lol

CG is amazing.
  • Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    Figuring they were going to build the quests anyhow, but also knowing they had to change display to allow for titles, trigger title rewards that are tied to achievements/quest completion/special tasks... More time that imo would have better been spent elsewhere frankly. If it took 10 hours... it took too long.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Muaddib wrote: »

It's not "harm" really... And truthfully, I don't care they added them in the slightest... but... there is the issue of resource allocation. Were "titles" a thing the player base asked for? Never saw a request myself, but I don't deep dive in the forums myself so maybe I missed it. But there are A LOT of things the player base has asked for. From bug fixes to QOL improvements to actual gameplay requests. Instead of working on those requests... they worked on this. That feels a bit frustrating. And CUP is always meta! :D Legit, I will use him in TW with some other weak stunners when facing a solo CLS. Every toon has a place. Titles... less so.

Yeah, there are issues that definitely need addressing (TW/TB hangs being the first that pops to mind). However, resources aren't generally "universal". Generally speaking, the devs doing these sorts of fixes aren't the ones working on stuff like Titles. So while I'd love to see some of the more serious issues fixed, I know that they don't tend to conflict with many of the new additions. And speaking as a developer, you pretty much have to balance new features with bug fixes - especially with a game where a drop in interest can be fatal.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • TVF
    36575 posts Member
    If it took 10 hours... it took too long.

That's not how opportunity cost works.
  • Kyngzilla
    265 posts Member

When people say they don't care about something then spend time explaining why they don't care...

If you don't want a title.... Don't use it.

Not everything in the game is for us older players. This stuff is for new players to stay engaged, have things to aim for and a sense of accomplishment.

Stop thinking about yourself.
  • Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    Kyngzilla wrote: »

I shall not. :D
    You all have won me over. Can't wait to hang my new title: 'ThatForumJerk' in game.
  • Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    If it took 10 hours... it took too long.
    That's not how opportunity cost works.
    Not that part no... this part from a previous post is exactly the definition:
    From bug fixes to QOL improvements to actual gameplay requests. Instead of working on those requests... they worked on this.

But let's keep arguing about this. Feels like a good use of our time. Opportunity cost and all... :p
  • Muaddib wrote: »

You all have won me over. Can't wait to hang my new title: 'ThatForumJerk' in game.

Ur nothing new. You would have to add 29684 to the end of that title.
  • I don't care about a title like "Jedi Master." I DO care about a title like "Sith Lord." That's something that appeals to me. If I have to spend resources to chase that title - cool, I'm probably doing it anyway. I look forward to this.

The point is the way these quests sound - we're probably already going to be pursuing them. Star up 5 toons? Win arena battles? This is simple, harmless, and something you don't have to do if you don't want to. Hope it works out the way it's supposed to!
  • Kyngzilla wrote: »

Ur nothing new. You would have to add 29684 to the end of that title.

I suppose you've got dibs on 29683? ;)
  • I dig it. I am all about advancing newer players.