Capital Games Extra Life Livestream is starting now!

CG_SBCrumb
685 posts EA Community Manager
edited September 2018
WHO: Capital Games + Extra Life + Children's Miracle Network
WHAT: Help us raise money for UC Davis Children's Hospital! Check out the Capital Games Extra Life page for details
WHEN: September 8th, 9:00am - 9:00pm (Pacific Time)
WHERE: Twitch.tv/capitalgames_extralife

Here's what we are playing today!
pnmp281owjq1.png
Post edited by CG_SBCrumb on

Replies

• Not one but of your own game?
  • Dang, I missed Overcooked. Wish I’d checked this earlier in the day—that’s a fun game to play, but an hysterical game to watch!
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Just play fortnite
  • Yawn? Yawn
  • Or, if you want to actually raise money for a good cause, offer a one time purchase of 1 stun gun for $1 and I guarantee you would have far exceeded your goal. Anything like that would have raised money for a charity better. Don't pat yourselves on the back for a goal not met. CG should have paired this with an announcement that CG would itself meet the remainder of the goal out of pocket. That's what a company that really gave a care would do.
  • Did CG donate any money in this event, or was it only players?
  • I was about to donate money for cg to get that tax write-off but naaaah
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    Mario Kart ruins friendships
  • CG_SBCrumb
    685 posts EA Community Manager
    edited September 2018
    NicWester wrote: »
    Dang, I missed Overcooked. Wish I’d checked this earlier in the day—that’s a fun game to play, but an hysterical game to watch!
    Overcooked 2 was awesome. I played a ton of the first one but this was my first time seeing 2 in action
    Mikayas wrote: »
    Or, if you want to actually raise money for a good cause, offer a one time purchase of 1 stun gun for $1 and I guarantee you would have far exceeded your goal. Anything like that would have raised money for a charity better. Don't pat yourselves on the back for a goal not met. CG should have paired this with an announcement that CG would itself meet the remainder of the goal out of pocket. That's what a company that really gave a care would do.
    Carrie went into more detail on why we weren't able to give away anything for this specific event but in short, we are looking into what options we have to incentivize people to donate towards a really good cause while not falling into any legal issues.
    So, it probably wouldn't surprise you to hear that it's incredibly complicated to set up a donation pipeline when it involves money that we collect from the game. The Extra Life event was put together by a volunteer group of developers from the studio who are doing this work on the weekend in their free time and Extra Life makes it easy because they are the ones who take the contributions directly from you and we never touch it.

I think we'd all love to take it a step further and donate from proceeds, but it gets exponentially complicated because we have to figure out, get buy in, and then communicate a number of different factors. Are we donating 100% before/after taxes? Before/after all other parties get their cut?

I'm certain we will continue to find more ways to donate (though I don't want to overlook the incredible work that individual team members already do - artists donate art to raise proceeds for charities, we have team members who go to hospitals in Star Wars costumes, etc.) We don't usually advertise that stuff because it kind of defeats the purpose of being charitable, but in this case, we are hoping that raising a little awareness means we can do even more. If it works, I'm sure we'll keep doing it.

This is the part where I will also add that we've had some great ideas for other events from people in the community *cough cough* but we hit some bureaucracy roadblocks, so we opted for the easiest path - but those ideas are still very much in the pipeline. ;) -CG_Carrie
    Glurp wrote: »
    Did CG donate any money in this event, or was it only players?
    I know many people from the office donated toward this great cause. A large chunk of the donations were employee contributions
    Gifafi wrote: »
    I was about to donate money for cg to get that tax write-off but naaaah
    None of this was done through CG or EA. We just got to borrow their channels. All the money goes directly to UC Davis Children's Hospital and you get the write off.
  • CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    I was about to donate money for cg to get that tax write-off but naaaah
    None of this was done through CG or EA. We just got to borrow their channels. All the money goes directly to UC Davis Children's Hospital and you get the write off.

link?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Thank you for clarifying.