So GL’s can be underdogged now?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited October 2020
    Just to be clear, I'm in no way saying anyone is wrong in their opinion, and we should all be discussing everything going on.

Just dont buy into the hype one way or the other expecting them to make changes. If they are thinking they will act in the "near future", or working on changes I'm sure they will comment.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • I've reached out. Not sure I'll get the in-depth dev response on this as the Scrybe video per se. JML is still pretty new in the wild and MY GUESS (and let's operate under the umbrella that this is MY two cents, no one else's) is that maybe he needs a little time to marinate and be monitored now that he's in the wild. As others have pointed out, people were clowning on SLKR when he first released and now our lil baby has grown up quite a bit.

There was a fix for JML's AI that went out today. I'm not saying that's gonna be applicable to this scenario, but it's another layer of the onion that adds strength to his character overall.

Based on what I know of this industry - especially live service games - is that it's way easier and less risky to release a unit that is somewhere around the levels you're aiming for (not saying that happened in this instance, just speaking in generalities based on MY experience and opinions) and then slowly increase their power if/when needed, versus releasing a unit that hits exactly where you want, and then having to nerf/decrease power.

This is due in part to the fact that no matter how much balance testing you do as a dev team (and yes balance testing was done. Suggesting otherwise is silliness), once the unit is released it now has hundreds of thousands if not millions of eyes on it. These are eyes are passionate and hungry to figure out ways to use this new unit, and through sheer numbers, they will certainly undo the careful planning of far fewer designers and balance testers.

You, the players, are smart. Some of you are downright experts, and with all the possible unit combos in the game, someone somewhere is going to think of some shenanigans that not only impress, but likely scare the developers. Still, watching gamers figure out the "puzzle" or use a unit in unanticipated ways brings us a lot of joy (and probably in some cases terror).

Point is, even if a dev team is fairly certain where a unit will land in the grand scheme of things, often times the community will figure out a way to make it be about 20-30 percent better than they thought.

Other times, the community simply needs time to figure out how to best utilize a new toy.

I hope this frame of reference helps, and I'm confident JML will continue to be watched as things progress.

Lastly, did I mention all of this is just, like, my opinion, man?

Yes. Yes, I did.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

• I've reached out. Not sure I'll get the in-depth dev response on this as the Scrybe video per se. JML is still pretty new in the wild and MY GUESS (and let's operate under the umbrella that this is MY two cents, no one else's) is that maybe he needs a little time to marinate and be monitored now that he's in the wild. As others have pointed out, people were clowning on SLKR when he first released and now our lil baby has grown up quite a bit.

There was a fix for JML's AI that went out today. I'm not saying that's gonna be applicable to this scenario, but it's another layer of the onion that adds strength to his character overall.

Based on what I know of this industry - especially live service games - is that it's way easier and less risky to release a unit that is somewhere around the levels you're aiming for (not saying that happened in this instance, just speaking in generalities based on MY experience and opinions) and then slowly increase their power if/when needed, versus releasing a unit that hits exactly where you want, and then having to nerf/decrease power.

This is due in part to the fact that no matter how much balance testing you do as a dev team (and yes balance testing was done. Suggesting otherwise is silliness), once the unit is released it now has hundreds of thousands if not millions of eyes on it. These are eyes are passionate and hungry to figure out ways to use this new unit, and through sheer numbers, they will certainly undo the careful planning of far fewer designers and balance testers.

You, the players, are smart. Some of you are downright experts, and with all the possible unit combos in the game, someone somewhere is going to think of some shenanigans that not only impress, but likely scare the developers. Still, watching gamers figure out the "puzzle" or use a unit in unanticipated ways brings us a lot of joy (and probably in some cases terror).

Point is, even if a dev team is fairly certain where a unit will land in the grand scheme of things, often times the community will figure out a way to make it be about 20-30 percent better than they thought.

Other times, the community simply needs time to figure out how to best utilize a new toy.

I hope this frame of reference helps, and I'm confident JML will continue to be watched as things progress.

Yes. Yes, I did.

Thanks for the communication it’s nice to know that we’re being acknowledged. Keep up the great work... Have them check out SEE also.. Right now SLKR can solo him... (link doesn’t work when you have one unit) love his transformation but he can’t get to it most of the time..
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    I've reached out. Not sure I'll get the in-depth dev response on this as the Scrybe video per se. JML is still pretty new in the wild and MY GUESS (and let's operate under the umbrella that this is MY two cents, no one else's) is that maybe he needs a little time to marinate and be monitored now that he's in the wild. As others have pointed out, people were clowning on SLKR when he first released and now our lil baby has grown up quite a bit.
    People were right to clown on SLKR though, that's what led to him getting buffed

JML is in the same boat as SLKR (being 2 manned with his ultimate) - unlike SLKR, the ultimates for JML and SEE were unlocked pretty quickly since the krakens were ahead of the game this time. The AI targeting stuff doesn't really prevent the 3v5 counter for JML, so I'm guessing we'll see buffs much sooner than SLKR did

If anything, this affirms that an underwhelming JML or SEE will be buffed eventually. But if those two are whelming then they will stay as is. I think the devs aren't quick to buff because they are just trying to cover all the bases in the buffs, like the SLKR buff, they just didn't prevent the 2-man cheese, but other cheese or possible flawed counters too in one swoop.
    I agree. Nerfing toons you invested in is awful, but buffing is always good. Reworks are character buffs, which is why everyone loves those.

Yes. Yes, I did.

This. THIS is what we are talking about right here

@CG_Doja_Fett

This is the type of communication we want to see. It’s acknowledging our concerns, it’s letting us know it’s being watched, it’s letting us know you’ve reached out to the rest of the team regarding this, and it’s engaging. It may not be a definitive answer but as Ultra already pointed out, we can make our own assumptions based on the past. More importantly though we know that you’re listening and definitive answers are forth coming.

So thank you Doja. Sincerely and whole heartedly, thank you for your response and engagement. We appreciate it more than you can imagine.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    I've reached out. Not sure I'll get the in-depth dev response on this as the Scrybe video per se. JML is still pretty new in the wild and MY GUESS (and let's operate under the umbrella that this is MY two cents, no one else's) is that maybe he needs a little time to marinate and be monitored now that he's in the wild. As others have pointed out, people were clowning on SLKR when he first released and now our lil baby has grown up quite a bit.
    People were right to clown on SLKR though, that's what led to him getting buffed

JML is in the same boat as SLKR (being 2 manned with his ultimate) - unlike SLKR, the ultimates for JML and SEE were unlocked pretty quickly since the krakens were ahead of the game this time. The AI targeting stuff doesn't really prevent the 3v5 counter for JML, so I'm guessing we'll see buffs much sooner than SLKR did

If anything, this affirms that an underwhelming JML or SEE will be buffed eventually. But if those two are whelming then they will stay as is. I think the devs aren't quick to buff because they are just trying to cover all the bases in the buffs, like the SLKR buff, they just didn't prevent the 2-man cheese, but other cheese or possible flawed counters too in one swoop.
    I agree. Nerfing toons you invested in is awful, but buffing is always good. Reworks are character buffs, which is why everyone loves those.

Agreed and I hope the buffs come soon. JML is just so underwhelming so far, it’s honestly sad.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    SifuSteve wrote: »
    Come on guys... They broke all the rules of their own game with GLs. What did you think was going to happen? ;)
    Did you really think that all the toons from SWGoH would play nice with toons that, for all intents and purposes, might as well be from SWGoH2?
    Of course the AI doesn't know what is going on! It's designed for a game with almost entirely different rules to the rules thar GLs play by.

I wouldn't expect a fix any time soon...

or they were designed differently, without the intent of sitting on defense but being able to beat many teams (including other GLs) on offense.

Its also possible that the players are the ones stuck thinking of the same "rules" when trying to make these new teams/GLs work.

It would be good if we could get something from the dev's on this even if it's that they aren't designed to be invincible on defense. If nothing else it would shut down all the this gl needs buffed/nerfed threads (I've seen claims jml is trash because he doesn't beat palps easily enough, claims jml is op because he beats kylo easily, a d claims palps is trash because kylo beats him easily).

Obviously not all of those can be true. But a clarification from CG would be good at this point.

Who is designed to be invincible on defense? From what I remember and can think of now in the game, no one is designed that way.

There are many ways to use many different teams, none of them are designed the way they are, the are designed one way and the players take them and morph that into what we see today.

There are plenty of great teams that are not used on defense because they have reliable counter teams, but they are still great highly recommended teams for offense.

And those claims, while they may be correct (about they can beat), at what I was pointing out that they are just missing the point, by focusing on the "old rules". This seems th be the groundwork for a rock paper scissor meta, where yes they cannot all beat each other, but where they each have a counter. They could also be designed to not make TW a wall of all GLs, as scuba had said in a different thread.

You can ping them about this, but I think in these early stages they are more likely to let things play out, unless there is a bug or exploit in on of the kits. We have seen too many early calls of unbeatable ot trash to expect them to jump in if it's not a bug.

I'm not asking for a fix. I used the invincible on defense reference as a characterization of many recent complaints about a GL not holding well enough. It was meant to be hyperbole.

But I do think a dev response would be good. If nothing else, then to stop the complaining.

I agree with you that they seem to be moving away from a single meta but there are still enough complaints about jml or see not being meta enough, that I feel a statement about their intentions would clear a lot of it up.

It won't stop the complaints, it also wont stop the somewhat misleading information that they cant be beat by X or that they are easily beat by Y.

It's just early, and they are not likely to comment, they will let it play out and monitor what's going on

Your right of course. There will be complaints no matter what they do. But it could reduce the complaints.

Yes. Yes, I did.

Sounds like the answer was it's too soon to tell and that there may be ways to make these two new GLs work better on defense without CG having to change their kits or stats.

Of course changes may end up coming but we'll just have to wait and see.

We'll have to see the effects of the ai changes to jml and I still think getting a cleanser or two in there may help against the Darth revan teams.
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator

Yes. Yes, I did.

Sounds like the answer was it's too soon to tell and that there may be ways to make these two new GLs work better on defense without CG having to change their kits or stats.

We'll have to see the effects of the ai changes to jml and I still think getting a cleanser or two in there may help against the Darth revan teams.
    People have tried cleansers and it doesn't work

Darth Revan dispels all buffs, and keeps the cleansers under fear with Insanity so they don't get a chance to cleanse again. The AI change will help JML get ultimate faster as long as he can charge it, but as long as shock / buff immunity exists, JML will never get to charge his ultimate

Yes. Yes, I did.

Darth Revan dispels all buffs, and keeps the cleansers under fear with Insanity so they don't get a chance to cleanse again. The AI change will help JML get ultimate faster as long as he can charge it, but as long as shock / buff immunity exists, JML will never get to charge his ultimate

I haven't seen the videos of any comps with a cleanser. Just the usual titans comp. But Darth revan can only do his fear every couple of turns. So a cleanse combines with a tenacity up and maybe a CD increase for Darth revan may stop or at least slow the shocks down.

Obviously nodding and turn order would be important. You want to cleanse either after the fear or get a character with CD reduction to go first and prevent the fear and then get tenacity up to stop the other debuffs.

I'm just trying to throw out productive ideas rather than just complaining.

But if you have videos of trying other comps and it still being underdogged by Darth revan consistently then feel free to share. I say consistently because one battle can be deceiving. For example a character may use a cd reduction ability on Darth revan most of the time but a single video may show the one time in 10 that he didn't that led to the crushing defeat. But if you saw all 10 battles, it may not be as reliable of a counter. I know I wouldn't be comfortable using a three man Darth revan team if it only worked half the time or less.

Yes. Yes, I did.

Also maybe try padme as a cleanser. She's immune to fear.
  • dgree
    521 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    @CG_Doja_Fett This is part of the reason, I assume, that people want staff involvement with communities on disc, maybe a condensed report from a server when relevant game stuff happens (I'm not saying that must be done, simply that there's an upside, if direct communication and the risk of spam can be minimized). I can assure you that the insane people obsessed with countering SLKR in empire and sith discords have put immense effort into using their top-notch DS squads to try to take down SLKR. The videos we see of SEE beating a single-tank SLKR squad using a Vader counter squad that SEE just makes worse? That's the best anyone can get considering these issues.

Some of the faction-specific servers connect the based players in the game in that faction (or fleet enthusiasts in fleet disc, for example), and there was an explosion of creativity, effort, and also immense disappointment in the related servers when SEE was released. I hope there's some way to bridge this gap, or have some periodic brief message where the people who really know how the game works can communicate with the staff, rather than simply hope that a youtuber puts out a clickbaity title that kinda sorta sends out a basic message that will get attention on reddit on the forums.

Yes. Yes, I did.

I haven't seen the videos of any comps with a cleanser. Just the usual titans comp. But Darth revan can only do his fear every couple of turns. So a cleanse combines with a tenacity up and maybe a CD increase for Darth revan may stop or at least slow the shocks down.

Obviously nodding and turn order would be important. You want to cleanse either after the fear or get a character with CD reduction to go first and prevent the fear and then get tenacity up to stop the other debuffs.

But if you have videos of trying other comps and it still being underdogged by Darth revan consistently then feel free to share. I say consistently because one battle can be deceiving. For example a character may use a cd reduction ability on Darth revan most of the time but a single video may show the one time in 10 that he didn't that led to the crushing defeat. But if you saw all 10 battles, it may not be as reliable of a counter. I know I wouldn't be comfortable using a three man Darth revan team if it only worked half the time or less.
    Remember that DR reduces his cooldowns when his basic hits the leader. In this case, he’s almost always hitting the leader, and getting that bonus attack a good bit of the time as well. If he’s hitting JML consistently he can use Insanity every other turn.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    That feeling when even a CG representative uses the flawed argument about people saying that SLKR was weak at the start. I expected better, Doja.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    That feeling when even a CG representative uses the flawed argument about people saying that SLKR was weak at the start. I expected better, Doja.

To be fair he said that they’re waiting on more data. Which is basically saying that there’s going to be buffs to the kits in one way or another. There are several ways to bulk up JML to be on par with the other GL’s. They probably need to figure out how to implement those changes without breaking them.

The one thing I will turn my nose up at is that the balancing going through countless trials. DR lead should’ve alerted them to overpowering JML handily and then you try compositions from there. So definitely not sold on that
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »

To be fair he said that they’re waiting on more data. Which is basically saying that there’s going to be buffs to the kits in one way or another. There are several ways to bulk up JML to be on par with the other GL’s. They probably need to figure out how to implement those changes without breaking them.
    To be clear, he deliberately bracketed his comments with "MY GUESS" and "all of this is just, like, my opinion" so interpreting his comments as an official position is just plain wrong.
  • You, the players, are smart.

Could you please insert my name in there somewhere ? I need to show my family that someone kinda in charge acknowledged my greatness and that I don't just waste countless hours of my time in a pointless mobile game.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

To be clear, he deliberately bracketed his comments with "MY GUESS" and "all of this is just, like, my opinion" so interpreting his comments as an official position is just plain wrong.

This.

He could not have been more clear.

Not that this will stop him from communicating, but please keep perspective on this. You can not imagine the number of times I have pointed to a topic and basically get told "we can't comment", "we can't promise", "there is no official position yet", and then number of time here where people say, "but they could just say something"..... if every comment is taken that way, it puts them in a spot when the next one comes around, "if they should comment"....

Yes. Yes, I did.

First off wow! This I what we need I love that we are being acknowledged and the details are just amazing. Amazing every thing you said was right ( if you guys get the reference).
    So the reason I am commenting on the this is because I just want to pleas ask that See can be looked into it’s not just Jml it’s both. Please look into it because he is very underwhelming as well. I don’t want him to be left in the dust. He really needs it, but please look into it.
  • TargetEadu wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »

Yes. Yes, I did.

Remember that DR reduces his cooldowns when his basic hits the leader. In this case, he’s almost always hitting the leader, and getting that bonus attack a good bit of the time as well. If he’s hitting JML consistently he can use Insanity every other turn.

Fair enough.
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »

The one thing I will turn my nose up at is that the balancing going through countless trials. DR lead should’ve alerted them to overpowering JML handily and then you try compositions from there. So definitely not sold on that

He also hinted that we may be missing something (team comp, mods, ect.) that may also solve some of the issues.

They may very well make some changes as well. I think that more can be done to explore that in the mean time.

I've tried to throw out some ideas. Will they all work. Probably not. But maybe one may help. It could be the dev's already know of a team comp that solves some of the issues at least. Doja hinted that the puzzle wasn't solved.
  • TargetEadu wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »

Yes. Yes, I did.

Maybe put padme in as a cleanser since she's immune to fear. And then C3PO in for stacks of confusion to keep Darth revan from decreasing his cooldowns.

Then gmy for tenacity up to stop other debuffs. And Gas to increase cooldowns on Darth revan.

Yes I know it isn't all jedi but there are probably enough jedi for Luke to be able to select one for jedi lessons.
  • StarSon
    7427 posts Member

He also hinted that we may be missing something (team comp, mods, ect.) that may also solve some of the issues.

They may very well make some changes as well. I think that more can be done to explore that in the mean time.

I've tried to throw out some ideas. Will they all work. Probably not. But maybe one may help. It could be the dev's already know of a team comp that solves some of the issues at least. Doja hinted that the puzzle wasn't solved.

The problem is that there is no JML lead that can stop Fear. If you bring a non-Jedi pretaunter (like L3 + Wat) you can get around that part, but then you REALLY won't get to ult on defense because there are only 2 Jedi to charge the ultimate.

THIS is the problem: you can either account for a DR counter (which may still work regardless) or you can try to have your defense team get to ult (it can't).
  • StarSon wrote: »

The problem is that there is no JML lead that can stop Fear. If you bring a non-Jedi pretaunter (like L3 + Wat) you can get around that part, but then you REALLY won't get to ult on defense because there are only 2 Jedi to charge the ultimate.

THIS is the problem: you can either account for a DR counter (which may still work regardless) or you can try to have your defense team get to ult (it can't).

I don't think L3 plus wat just for a pretaunt would be enough. Two slots wasted for just that would be less than desirable.

I posted an idea for padme and 3po a minute ago. It would in theory be able to keep Darth revan at bay on defense and still uses 3 jedi.

As far as the ultimate goes, there are two strategies, try to pick a team that can get to it quickly (all jedi) or try to pick a team that can survive long enough to either beat the enemy team (with or without the ultimate. A defensive win is still a win).

The first strategy obviously doesn't work on defense since the fear and shocks keep them from doing much.

As far as I've seen no one's tested the second strategy all that much. It may work. It may not. I don't have jedi Luke so I can't do much testing with that myself.

But trying to come up with a hybrid team that could hold better is more useful than screaming at the sky that it's broken.
  • Adoy_IdeJ
    310 posts Member
    edited October 2020

Yes. Yes, I did.

Thank you for the effort and passionate reply. Thumbs up :)

This is where user beta testing is needed or at least considered. As you say we're the experts (well not, me I'm thick) so it would be good to use our feedback / testing when you have a large test group that can simulate more combinations than one would ordinarily be able to do solely in testing.

If NDAs need to be signed, it's not a big deal - heck some of us work in sectors where we need some high security clearance, so I'm sure a computer game can be treated accordingly.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    xpdndi6d8p20.jpeg
    Apparently they can be underdogged. Even rey lol
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Adoy_IdeJ wrote: »

Yes. Yes, I did.

Thank you for the effort and passionate reply. Thumbs up :)

This is where user beta testing is needed or at least considered. As you say we're the experts (well not, me I'm thick) so it would be good to use our feedback / testing when you have a large test group that can simulate more combinations than one would ordinarily be able to do solely in testing.

If NDAs need to be signed, it's not a big deal - heck some of us work in sectors where we need some high security clearance, so I'm sure a computer game can be treated accordingly.

They do have a beta program, but still a few player, even if they are experts, are never going to compare to masses. Things will always slip through and require at least a cautious eye, and possible tweaks.
  • Sewpot wrote: »
    xpdndi6d8p20.jpeg

I'm pretty sure you could underdog a Rey team with the vader counter too. I don't in arena since there's no reason to but you probably could with vader, wat, thrawn, and darth revan or vader, thrawn, wat, and dark Bastilla.

I use all 5 and the Rey teams barely get a turn. But really all dark Bastilla does most times is put shock on gk a bit sooner. But he already has fear from Darth revan so if you misplay and use fear twice instead, vader can clear it next turn with a basic and still saber throw most of the team before Rey is unfractured.
  • Sewpot wrote: »
    xpdndi6d8p20.jpeg

Let’s see the relic and mod comparison.