General Raid Tiers - November Update

medetec
1571 posts Member
edited November 2016
This is not a topic about the AAT raid, this is an overall look at how raid tiers are set up. Ideally, there should be a difficulty and reward level for the equivalents of LFG/Raid Finder, Flex (smaller organized guilds), Normal and Heroic.

Ideally, the target completion for the properly matched group should be 2-4 days. So there should be, for every raid, at minimum a tier that is 2-4 day complete-able for a f2p unorganized level appropriate guild, a flex raid targeted at smaller (15-30) organized guilds, a Normal tier for full 50 organized mixed f2p p2p or very strong f2p guilds, and Heroic which is fine to be initially targeted for organized p2p completion.

The current AAT raid is entirely missing the LFG and flex tiers, and in my opinion if the recommended level for normal is in fact supposed to be lvl 80 GVIII, its off by a factor of 2-3x on the hp pool, or maybe even more. A strong, organized guild should be able to do "Normal" in 2 days.

Looking back at the Rancor, at the current AAT raid, and for future raids, I'd hope CG could explore creating tiered content for at least these 4 player groups. And yes, this is heavily based on how WoW handles its raids.

November Update:

I stand by there being tiers below normal for smaller or more casual guilds, but on discussion with some other guilds I feel like normal should be tuned as a practice heroic. Normal difficulty should be identical to the heroic raid, but without the time and character limit. This lets guilds pushing towards end game prepare for heroic, and do legitimate practice runs for heroic to see where they stand as far as moving up in tiers. As the tier is set up currently, it takes significantly longer than heroic and doesn't give a useful read on the guild's progress for tier progression. This also pulls in the normal HP levels to alleviate player frustration with visual lack of progress.
Post edited by medetec on

Replies

• Options
    I guess since the point of the raids is to continue gear (Rancor from 8-10/11 and AAT 11 and up) that they didnt see a point in having lower tiers giving regular gear since the rancor one already has it. It makes sense but obviously the down side being many can't participate
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    Options
    I guess since the point of the raids is to continue gear (Rancor from 8-10/11 and AAT 11 and up) that they didnt see a point in having lower tiers giving regular gear since the rancor one already has it. It makes sense but obviously the down side being many can't participate

Lower tiers would just give lower amounts of the gear for that raid. So for AAT it wouldn't overlap the Rancor, but the harder the tier the higher quantity/RNGquality bonus boxes have.
  • Options
    medetec wrote: »

Lower tiers would just give lower amounts of the gear for that raid. So for AAT it wouldn't overlap the Rancor, but the harder the tier the higher quantity/RNGquality bonus boxes have.

You mean give lower players AAT raid gear? Hmm dunno if CG would want that cause then they'd be more prepared when they eventually got up to 80-85 and generally CG wanna slow progress
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    Options
    If you get a few salvage per run at lower tiers, it would take a month or more to get a single piece of complete gear. But at least you would be making progress.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with Medetec, giving a few pieces of salvage for the new gear wouldn't hurt CG's bottom line because that method will take months to make any significant progress.
    I understand that CG wanted to make the AAT raid true end game content, but they could have done that and still included a tier that's aimed at the casual F2P playerbase.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    I think that it should be tuned to closer to 4 days, maybe a day per phase. But when most guilds can't even get close to beating 10% of P1 (before people complain, the vast majority of the player base don't check the forums, have amazing teams, and guilds are smaller and limited), then it is completely unfair. I don't care if the reward is 1 salvage, just something that most guilds can compete in.
  • Options
    I was thinking 2 refreshes, so I guess that's really more like 3 days. 4 days is a bit of a problem because a fll guild is generating more coins than they are spending, leading to permanent coin waste to overcap. Feels like it should be tuned to not overcap you.
  • Options
    @medetec
    I agree on that actually. I was thinking that it should take 3 days with the refreshes, and maybe a fourth to finish it off. Kind of depends on when you start it, and how many people can do it day 1. Anyways, something like 2-4 days seems reasonable based on how much people actually contribute, but it definitely shouldn't be a week or a month for many guilds.
  • Options
    Our guild is not even 50% through phase 1. It'll take 2 weeks for us.
    The problem is that this isn't a "tier 6 & 7" raid, it's a tier 7 & 8, or even tier 8 & 9 raid. If they actually said that, then they would have managed our expectations and not **** SO many people off. As it is, the raid thoroughly disappointed nearly everyone. They lost lots of credibility.
  • Options
    Agree that these should have been called T8 and T9 raids. No T6 pit raid guild would have roster depth to beat normal in less than a month. Guilds with rosters that deeper than that would have long since graduated to T7 pit raids. Allowing 6* on normal is almost pointless as any guild that can beat it in reasonsble time will have most members with 20+ 7* toons.
  • Options
    medetec wrote: »
    This is not a topic about the AAT raid, this is an overall look at how raid tiers are set up. Ideally, there should be a difficulty and reward level for the equivalents of LFG/Raid Finder, Flex (smaller organized guilds), Normal and Heroic.

Ideally, the target completion for the properly matched group should be 2-4 days. So there should be, for every raid, at minimum a tier that is 2-4 day complete-able for a f2p unorganized level appropriate guild, a flex raid targeted at smaller (15-30) organized guilds, a Normal tier for full 50 organized mixed f2p p2p or very strong f2p guilds, and Heroic which is fine to be initially targeted for organized p2p completion.

The current AAT raid is entirely missing the LFG and flex tiers, and in my opinion if the recommended level for normal is in fact supposed to be lvl 80 GVIII, its off by a factor of 2-3x on the hp pool, or maybe even more. A strong, organized guild should be able to do "Normal" in 2 days.

Looking back at the Rancor, at the current AAT raid, and for future raids, I'd hope CG could explore creating tiered content for at least these 4 player groups. And yes, this is heavily based on how WoW handles its raids.

November Update:

I stand by there being tiers below normal for smaller or more casual guilds, but on discussion with some other guilds I feel like normal should be tuned as a practice heroic. Normal difficulty should be identical to the heroic raid, but without the time and character limit. This lets guilds pushing towards end game prepare for heroic, and do legitimate practice runs for heroic to see where they stand as far as moving up in tiers. As the tier is set up currently, it takes significantly longer than heroic and doesn't give a useful read on the guild's progress for tier progression. This also pulls in the normal HP levels to alleviate player frustration with visual lack of progress.

I think that making normal mode similar to heroic with the exception of rewards is a fantastic idea! This could be a great way to get the community excited and moving forward with the tank raid. Lower tiers would be good but my feeling is this would be a solid update. I love the challenge of heroic and feel it's pretty much perfect in difficulty but normal needs something.... @CG_Kozispoon any chance this could be looked at as a solution to the difficulty most guilds are having with normal?