best tank for a Zeta Maul team

About to zeta DM and thinking about squad composition. it will be
- Zeta DM
- EP
- Vader (also zeta but not liking his leader so much in squad)
- boba or zeta dooku or nihilus

Who should I slot in for tank? I have B2 and sun fac "in the works". I like both for their cleans abilities. I have Shore at 4* and gear 10. Baze at 3 star and basically have done nothing with him.

Who makes the most sense as a tank? I don't mind leveling but need to focus and don't want to second guess half way through, which I seem to invariably do anyway...

Replies

• Options
    https://youtu.be/jymrCVBT2QM
    I like b2. Baze doesn't work quite as well, he's pretty slow, and I like using the 20% evade to stealth in my advantage
  • Options
    A lot of people commenting here that a zeta'd Kylo works really well since he loves being hit so much lol. Also GK.
  • Options
    I'm working on a Zaul Sith team as well, and I've read a lot of comments from other Zaul users to go 100% Sith with no tank. The idea is to maximize the evade and TM bonus, making it frustrating for opponents to focus-fire any one Sith ally.

That being said, I personally will play around with a 5th non-Sith to take damage, as Kingsman pointed out. Zylo is supposed to be great, but I could see high-health counterattackers working well too. I have both Aayla and 5s at high levels, so I might give them a try with their counterattacks and speed down/stun while I'm gearing my Kylo. If that experiment doesn't work out, I'll move on to b2.

If you're set on a taunting tank, I'd probably take SF for his ability to dispel (especially autotaunters).
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    Maul-led sith team is like a Droid team...it's designed to ambush. Quick out the gate and tear up as much as u can as fast as u can. A tank is counter-productive. Evasion, stealth and crit immunity r your tanks.
  • Options
    you go shoretrooper first then move to kenobi when ready
  • Options
    I have Shoretrooper for start geared, but i thinking about replace him for zKylo in future maybe.

Its look nice - that bonus TM from AoE to all allies with advantage and that sadomasochism kylo unique passive for dmg reduced.
  • Tromedlov13
    1559 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am not sure why no one is looking at him, but I think that Sith Trooper is the perfect tank for Zaul.

The team makeup should be Zaul, Sith Assassin(modded for just speed) and two of the next three EP, Vader, Zidious

Your first turn will go like this - Assassin uses her tm up for all with three buffs (after getting Zaul bonus for tm as well)

Then Zaul, and the other two go (and maybe Trooper if you get him fast enough) and use their specials.

You can end up with (if Trooper goes before them with his special) the entire opposing team stunned, dazed, exposed, DoT'd and offense down and SithTrooper is on taunt with retribution before they even get to attack.

Edit: and the best part is they should be AI proof for the first turn - it should always go exactly the same way, giving you a better chance on defense
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • Options
    I am not sure why no one is looking at him, but I think that Sith Trooper is the perfect tank for Zaul.

The team makeup should be Zaul, Sith Assassin(modded for just speed) and two of the next three EP, Vader, Zidious

Your first turn will go like this - Assassin uses her tm up for all with three buffs (after getting Zaul bonus for tm as well)

Then Zaul, and the other two go (and maybe Trooper if you get him fast enough) and use their specials.

You can end up with (if Trooper goes before them with his special) the entire opposing team stunned, dazed, exposed, DoT'd and offense down and SithTrooper is on taunt with retribution before they even get to attack.

Then Chirrut and/or Rex moves and cleanses it all!

• Options
    MackemSLAM wrote: »

Then Chirrut and/or Rex moves and cleanses it all!

You aren't wrong, but if Chirrut or Rex is stunned, they aren't doing anything. But it allows for you to get a good start against a pre taunt or auto taunt (GK). Add B2 and Raid Han as problems for proposed team as well as the droids if their JE goes before Assassin (which would probably happen). There is no real meta squad anymore.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • Options

Edit: and the best part is they should be AI proof for the first turn - it should always go exactly the same way, giving you a better chance on defense

I've actually been considering this, I don't have a zeta yet but I'm leaning towards maul for the first, and I've slowly been working on sith trooper and assassin, I'm just wondering how well trooper will hold up under maul, with nihilus lead and his taunt and retribution up he gets some insane health steal.
  • Options
    Guys, I am using Zeta maul as leader, Nihilus, plapatine, Vader Uncle and Kylo (meta) , Kylo working okay but want shoretrooper or someone like him who can utilize the zeta maul leadership and can taunt when needed as our Palpatine looks like retired and tends to leave the battle field early, please suggest whom should I invest on, Sith trooper, sith assassin or shoretrooper, or even death trooper is also in my mind.
  • Gawejn
    1116 posts Member
    Options
    For Sith the best would be Sith Trooper, excellent tank. His taunt is based on specials of allies. That is his strength, also counter and high defense buff. Very tanky. Weakness is buff imunity. Shore is designed for Empire to shine, Baze for Rebels.
  • Options
    thanks.. Gawejn
  • Options
    Maul lead, trooper, assassin, nihilus, zavage
  • Options
    Mod trooper for tenacity and the few times he gets hit, he will have 50%+ chance of resisting
  • Options
    thanks.. Gawejn

Your welcome mate. I hope you will have maxed SithTroop. I am playing in arena with tanks and big fun to use them. Properly moded tank is not only meat to absorb dmg. Big support for whole team. Make him fast also. My tanks are almost 200 speed so I can use them many times during fights.
  • Options
    I used to use shore trooper and will say he is not the best idea because when you use his taunt he grants crit immunity which makes it so none of your sith stealth and if they dispel your taunt they can focus on your sith
  • Options
    Sigh trooper was created to be the sith tank. I'm not sure why this should be a question..
  • Options

ZMaul, Savage, Palp, Sith Trooper, Sith Assasin.
  • Options
    Sith Trooper is the best by a long way.
  • TMK
    700 posts Member
    Options
    Ideally, you want Zavage. Close follow is Sith Trooper. The next three toons that are must have are Zaul (firm) and one of many; Nihilus, Zooku, Zader, Sith Assassin... pick your poison.

I have seen many combinations of it and all work well. The burden of success falls on the shoulders of Mods.
  • Options
    I'd like to chime in and give a perspective of someone currently using the zMaul sith team with Zylo.

My line up is Zaul, Zavage, Zylo, Vader, and zzNilius.

*Caveat - I'm in one of the original launch shards and it is uber competitve in the arena. In the top 50 it's basically all some combo of CLS, Thrawn, GK, zBariss, R2, MT, and Raid Han with a couple of teams using Thrawn lead with some troopers. I took a year off from the game and I'm way way behind in terms of getting the legendary characters, so I accept I'm not going to be competitive in the top 50. I'm pretty happy with hanging around rank 150 for now.

In my shard where I'm seeing teams with the above mentioned compositions even in the 200-100 range, Zylo basically just becomes a meatbag that dies before he even gets a turn. Raid Han and CLS inevitably just zerg rush him since he's not stealthed and they end up doing about 60-80k dmg between the 2 of them. If rng is on my side, zylo might survive that initial blitz and be in the red by the time he gets a turn, but I'd rather not have to rely on that kind of luck. I try to pick on Jedi teams if I can find them, since I can clean them up easily, but they're rare below rank 200. I can also pretty reliably take out empire teams and other sith teams that don't have a sith trooper and assassin. The big weakness though is that Zaul teams struggle against R2. R2's burn reduces evasion and that really handicaps the stealthing.

I'm using Zylo because he's one of my top geared toons, but I think I would swap Zylo and Vader for Sith Trooper and Sith Assassin eventually. I just only have trooper at 5* gear 10 and Assassin only unlocked and not geared at all, so it will be a while. At least until I can get the right teams necessary for the legendary character events that are required to be competitive in arena meta.