Under-starred characters viability

I keep seeing people talk about how some characters are still viable even at 3 stars (other than things like raids and TB where 7* are required), which makes me wonder: is there any way to have an idea if a character would still work alright when not 7* before unlocking them? From what I can tell, I assume it's based on whether or not their utility relies on their level to be strong? Baze's autotaunt/dispel, Thrawn Fracture, Nihilus Annihilate, etc. Based on that, I assume R2 and BB8 would be serviceable even just unlocked at 5* (assuming gear and levels are the same as 7*)? Are there any other factors that play into it? Would Shoretrooper just be too squishy at 3*? What about 4* Rex or Ackbar leads?

Replies

• Options
    DarthDyna wrote: »
    I keep seeing people talk about how some characters are still viable even at 3 stars (other than things like raids and TB where 7* are required), which makes me wonder: is there any way to have an idea if a character would still work alright when not 7* before unlocking them? From what I can tell, I assume it's based on whether or not their utility relies on their level to be strong? Baze's autotaunt/dispel, Thrawn Fracture, Nihilus Annihilate, etc. Based on that, I assume R2 and BB8 would be serviceable even just unlocked at 5* (assuming gear and levels are the same as 7*)? Are there any other factors that play into it? Would Shoretrooper just be too squishy at 3*? What about 4* Rex or Ackbar leads?

So the general rule is attackers are too squishy at a low starring, but tanks are usually fine. Supports vary based on their skills and health.

There's always the odd exception.
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    r2 rex ackbar bb8 baze shore all viable at low star. especially r2
  • Options
    Nihilus works fine at 3 stars also
  • Options
    Talzin works pretty fine at low star too, it's a given.
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Options
    https://swgoh.gg/characters/shoretrooper/stats/

You can look up other characters too. This table assumes max gear, so you have to keep that in mind. But you can see how the stars impact health, protection, speed, or other important factors. But I agree that in general, tanks are serviceable at low star/high gear. Attackers are less desirable in that scenario. Support depends on the versatility and what is impacted.
  • Options
    evanbio wrote: »
    ...in general, tanks are serviceable at low star/high gear. Attackers are less desirable in that scenario. Support depends on the versatility and what is impacted.

This.

But mod the crap out of everyone and go for it.

• Options
    In my view it has absolutely nothing to do with whether a character is an attacker, support, or tank and everything to do with their skills and base gear stats.

Han Solo is an attacker that will do great at 5* g11 even without a zeta.

Darth nihlis is an attacker that will annihilate even at low stars.

GK is viable at 5*, and Baze at 3 or 4* ... wheres every other tank is absolutely not viable anywhere near that range.

R2 is definitely viable at 5*.

Bb8 is only viable in high end arena with JTR team.

Rex is squishy even at 7* g12, but his leader skill stays active even if he dies.

With these exceptional characters, you just need to gear them up as high as possible to make them viable. On older shards, everyone needs to be 7* g12
  • Options
    DrMaggot wrote: »
    Talzin works pretty fine at low star too, it's a given.

She is amazing at 3*. I have one who is top 50.
  • Options
    Mobewan wrote: »
    In my view it has absolutely nothing to do with whether a character is an attacker, support, or tank and everything to do with their skills and base gear stats.

Han Solo is an attacker that will do great at 5* g11 even without a zeta.

Darth nihlis is an attacker that will annihilate even at low stars.

GK is viable at 5*, and Baze at 3 or 4* ... wheres every other tank is absolutely not viable anywhere near that range.

R2 is definitely viable at 5*.

Bb8 is only viable in high end arena with JTR team.

Rex is squishy even at 7* g12, but his leader skill stays active even if he dies.

With these exceptional characters, you just need to gear them up as high as possible to make them viable. On older shards, everyone needs to be 7* g12

Not trying to be a nitpicker, but Nihilus is a support character.
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @CleverWes i dont care how they classify DN, i classify him as an attacker because he kills people with 1 shot. He has other skills, fine, but if he didnt annihilate, i would never want him for arena.

And given that he can kill with one shot, he is a better attacker than almost every toon classified as an attacker, lol

My point was exactly to ignore the idea that "attackers" or "tanks" can or cannot be viable at low stars. It all depends on that characters skills and high gear stats.
    Post edited by Mobewan on
  • Options
    evanbio wrote: »
    https://swgoh.gg/characters/shoretrooper/stats/

You can look up other characters too. This table assumes max gear, so you have to keep that in mind. But you can see how the stars impact health, protection, speed, or other important factors. But I agree that in general, tanks are serviceable at low star/high gear. Attackers are less desirable in that scenario. Support depends on the versatility and what is impacted.

Whoa, I had no idea this was there. That's amazing, thank you! Kind of weird that it has power same across the board regardless of stars, even though when you star up a character they gain GP. Unless I'm misinterpreting that. Otherwise, it's awesome.

And thank you all for the replies, very helpful.
  • ewqewqc
    183 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    the rule is this:
    Attackers almost cant be viable at low stars
    Tanks are bit weaker at low stars
    Supports have no problem at low stars.

the reason for it - higher stars gives mostly survive-ability. attackers are glass cannons when they are 3-4, and cant be used in arena since they are removed in heartbeat (and also, bit less damage, therefore, less useful). tanks are just less tankiers, but their mechanics stays the same. since they are already tanky, they are useful, just bit weaker. Supports shouldn't be able to take hits, and also aren't targeted fast since they are no DPS. therefore, they aren't losing much from being squishier in the low stars...

So, Toons like Talzin, BB8, Nihilus, r2, thrawn - which are support top-tier, will be great in high arena even in 4-5 stars.
    tanks like GK, KRU, Baze, old ben and more also can be viable for high arena.
    i personally use KRU and Talzin in my arena team, both at 4*.
    Post edited by ewqewqc on
  • GGYY
    47 posts Member
    Options
    Tanks usually have way more protection than health, which is the same regardless of star and entirely dependent on gear levels. Hence tanks are viable at low stars.

Support relies on their kit, which again are independent of stars, so they're viable too.

Attackers however, are not. Not only are they usually too squishy at low stars (less health), their damage are adversely affected by low stars.