Deciding between farming shards to get 7* vs getting better mods

So atm my main arena squad is a Phoenix squad core (hera 4*, kanan 5*, ezra 6*, zeb 7*) with chopper 4*, just wondering is it worth putting on hold to race through mod battles to get the better mods or should I get them all to 7* first. I know chopper can be farmed in both because he is in the store but hera/ezra have to be farmed off of low battles. This comes to my second point I'm low on ability mk 3s and am lvling up a sith team on the side which requires me to farm those. What is my best choice to farm/work towards atm.

I'm sitting atm of this post #2379 in the arena

Replies

• Options
    Phoenix Squad is kinda trash in Arena. They are only good for getting Thrawn, EP, and (Ezra and Kanan) for GM Yoda. Getting Palpatine (EP) is really good, though he's squishy in arena, so don't expect to use him near the 200 mark or below. otherwise, be building up your Sith FOR ARENA (they'll get you to like 800-600 range) and you'll be good. But I would focus shards over mods (if only for the better characters) but that's just me
  • Options
    Think of mods as gear that can be transferred. Good mods will never run out of style, no matter how much the Meta changes.
  • Options
    That's what I was thinking DarthNekros, atm I've got 3* DN, 4*DS, 4*DV, 4*CD all are over g7 atm just figuring out what to put in the last spot and the mods to use. Couldn't get EP on this last even but sitting at 100 shards so should get him next time and was thinking from what i've seen Sith Trooper is the best thing to fill the last slot.

I still plan on keeping my Phoenix squad up to date though as it is my primary GW/LS teams.
  • Options
    When the question is ______ or mods? The answer is always mods.
  • Options
    Decent character + good mods = chance to win
    Awesome character + junk/no mods = losing
  • Options
    Stars first, you only need to do stars once then you have them forever. You'll always need gear, that's built into this game.
  • Options
    Stars first, you only need to do stars once then you have them forever. You'll always need gear, that's built into this game.

Thing is Phoenix squads problem is you can only Hera/Ezra’s one at a time. Due to most people saying Ezra is still great as a stand alone from what I’ve been reading been farming him.

From what I’ve been reading a number have said mods are the way to go so will start focusing on them instead of hero shards. Thanks for the advice :)
  • Options
    Do what I do, farm characters during the week and farm mods at the weekend. Can't go wrong that way as you don't have to put anything on hold
  • Options
    I farm mods about once a week but because I save up crystals I normally will spend two refreshes on them in an attempt to get some decent mods. Most of the time I focus on the characters first so I know what kind of mods to farm.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Wardai wrote: »

Thing is Phoenix squads problem is you can only Hera/Ezra’s one at a time. Due to most people saying Ezra is still great as a stand alone from what I’ve been reading been farming him.

As someone who is currently alternating between these two and Death Trooper, I can tell you that you can do Hera and Ezra at the same time if you want it to go as slow as DT. ;)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    If you post your swgoh.gg account, we could probably help you better.

As for Ezra, he shows up in fleet arena store and guild event store. Hera shows up in guild event store as well (400 tokens for 5 shards).

The downside to focusing on Phoenix at the start like so many people recommend is that can leave you without any secondary teams.

Mods are pretty key for any team, and gearing people up is often more important than shards, especially for Darth nihilus. Of course if you can get them to 7 star that's great but gears>mods>stars.
  • Options
    If you post your swgoh.gg account, we could probably help you better.

As for Ezra, he shows up in fleet arena store and guild event store. Hera shows up in guild event store as well (400 tokens for 5 shards).

The downside to focusing on Phoenix at the start like so many people recommend is that can leave you without any secondary teams.

Mods are pretty key for any team, and gearing people up is often more important than shards, especially for Darth nihilus. Of course if you can get them to 7 star that's great but gears>mods>stars.

I've just got it sync'd up right now, https://swgoh.gg/u/wardai750/collection/
    I've started working on my second squad and i've been spending a couple of shards here and there to start getting some Sith Trooper shards.
  • Options
    Sith trooper is a pretty hard grind just so you’re aware, but good luck
  • Options
    When the question is ______ or mods? The answer is always mods.

This, definitely.

And don't expect too much out of Phoenix in Arena. They're great in pretty much every aspect of the game except Arena.

• Options
    I farm mods once a week. When I see Cantina energy as the next guild activity. I save all Cantina energy and do 3 refreshes. I only spend my 3 battles on 8 energy battles to complete the daily. Then the next day I do 3 more refreshes. I usually sit around 7-800 Cantina energy and go to town when the guild activity moves over to Cantina energy. Then the next day I do 3 more refreshes befor the guild activity is gone. I really don’t spend crystals on much else than the refreshes but it has helped me get a nice collection of mods. My best go to my arena team, and the rest are to my TB teams and pilots.
  • Options
    I know Sith trooper is hard to grind but I couldn’t figure what would be a good tank for a sith subsitute as I’m just running kylo ren (masked) atm.The three tanks with taunt that I’ve got semi geared are kanan, royal guard and clone wars chewbacca (last two are around g5) If you’ve got suggestions on what tank would be easier to farm till I can start farming sith trooper that would be great.
  • Options
    Phoenix Squad is kinda trash in Arena. They are only good for getting Thrawn, EP, and (Ezra and Kanan) for GM Yoda. Getting Palpatine (EP) is really good, though he's squishy in arena, so don't expect to use him near the 200 mark or below. otherwise, be building up your Sith FOR ARENA (they'll get you to like 800-600 range) and you'll be good. But I would focus shards over mods (if only for the better characters) but that's just me

Plenty of phoenix squads in the top 100, especially newer shards like I'm assuming this guy is. Also EP teams take rank 1 consistently, however they tend to drop more ranks than JTR squads.

OP- If you are on a new shard (within a few weeks) continue cranking out stars. You can use weekends to pick up some mods but they really are secondary on new shards. I'm rank 55-65 on my shard as phoenix which I stopped working on last week after maxing them all at 7*, they are level 68 with mediocre mods and they do fine.