Possible future value in the "worthless" characters?

gpeeee
126 posts Member
Hey everyone. I'm a huge fan of mixing it up and get so frustrated when things in this game seem to not change. By far, the modes I enjoy most (and all my friends as well) in the game is arena and TW, the PvP stuff. I love when they introduce new characters except for the fact that it usually means older characters lose their PvP value. Currently, there are 142 characters in the game and at MOST 54 of them are viable in arena below rank 250. The frustrating part to me is in the top 50 in arena, we currently have 3 leaders! 3 out of 142 seems absurd. Among those 3 leaders teams there is a mix of about 20 characters. Does anyone think the game will become more strategic with more variety or is it going to stay with only whoever has the "Meta" will win? I'm a pure dark side user but would love to see other well known Star Wars characters find value in the game such as Mace Windu, Lando, Jyn, Greivous, Boba Fett (not counting bounty hunter event) or even Grand Master Yoda find more usefulness. Sorry, just had to vent, I love this game, just wish there were some things like this that had more attention paid to it instead of adding raids/nerfing characters.

Replies

• Options
    So arena is the only mode in this game? Got it.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    There is more to the game than arena, but besides that I am guessing you have not been playing from the beginning where arena was 5 toons...maybe 6. The most variety was when people changed the order of the lineup. If you ran another team it was a rarity.

Have 3 leads pushing with a 4th still viable and over 30 toons to mix from, this is a pretty good time.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    ...I am guessing you have not been playing from the beginning where arena was 5 toons...maybe 6. The most variety was when people changed the order of the lineup. If you ran another team it was a rarity.

I'm pretty sure that @Kyno has been around a lot longer than me but yes, even in my short time here I've seen the range of Arena teams grow. Within reason, of course.

But it's an inevitability that when you have a range of characters with a range of "quality" then certain characters will pop up a lot at the high end of the Arena. Just how it is. You won't get to the top with a CUP, Ugnaught, Gamorean-based squad. However fun that might be.

But, let's never forget - it seems characters are reworked fairly often. After the Rebel era of supremacy, now the Empire/Sith era...it would seem likely that something exciting might happen with Jedis in the coming year or two.

• Options
    Keep in mind the Ventriss factor. She was absolutely useless for well over a year. Then one day 3 new nightsisters got released and the others got reworked and now she is a part of one of the meta factions.

• Options
    Darthpedro wrote: »
    Keep in mind the Ventriss factor. She was absolutely useless for well over a year. Then one day 3 new nightsisters got released and the others got reworked and now she is a part of one of the meta factions.

Exactly. This is a dynamic game, constantly changing. One of the many cool things about it.
  • gufu21
    335 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I agree with Kyno that this is actually a pretty diverse time in arena right now. It seemed not too long ago that arena was a never-ending cycle of CLS, GK, Barriss, R2, DN (then later Han and Thrawn). Even longer ago, it was the holy trinity of QGJ, Rey, RG, plus two. Now there are actually quite a few compositions and mixes that work, with up to 5 viable leads.

And things are always waxing and waning. Don't forget that there were times when Han, EP, Vader, and DN fell out of the arena. And at one time Old Ben was everything, Dooku was everything, StHan was everything, Lando was everything, Wiggs was everything, Barriss was everything—now they're not. The Nightsisters were an absolute joke—now they're meta material.

So it's relatively diverse now. Just realize that toons that suck now may become meta someday, and toons that are meta now may be gone tomorrow. It may not seem like it, but the meta mixes up quite frequently.
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Options
    “I'm a pure dark side user...”

If you refuse to use half of the characters, don’t expect to maximize your success in all areas of the game. You are limiting your potential by ignoring some of the most powerful characters available to you. Mix and match and use the best character you can, depending on the situation. Don’t limit yourself to light or dark.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @gpeeee

As you wrote yourself the introduction of new characters changes the META in arenas. Also some times older characters receive a rework and become part of the META (again). The most recent example is the rework of EP and Vader. Characters like Leia, Han Solo, Old Ben, Darth Maul (and other sith in general) and Boba Fett have also had a rework in the past to become META characters (again). Some also had a rework without becoming part of the META f.ex. when Phoenix received their zetas (however, they might have been for a short while if more people had invested in the zetas). Yet other characters became part of the META (again) after other characters were introduced or reworked, f.ex. Rey, RT, Poe and Chopper became usefull again when RJT was introduced. As you can see, it's possible for former META characters like GM Yoda, Lando and and Jyn to become usefull in arenas again.
  • Options
    I do agree a bit, theres a lot of characters that are quite useless, some on release, and I wish it was set up so there was more variety at any one time.

On the other hand, I do think like said above that some characters will come good with other releases. I just wish it wasnt at the same time as others dropping off.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but I have to say this.
    We stand here amidst EA achievement, not ours!
  • Options
    Jyn might not be great for Arena, but she is great for the pit. The best NS counter is Imp Troopers with zVeers, Snow, Starck. TB and TW require more than one team. So how is so many useless when you need at least 30 of each side?
  • gpeeee
    126 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    @gpeeee

As you wrote yourself the introduction of new characters changes the META in arenas. Also some times older characters receive a rework and become part of the META (again). The most recent example is the rework of EP and Vader. Characters like Leia, Han Solo, Old Ben, Darth Maul (and other sith in general) and Boba Fett have also had a rework in the past to become META characters (again). Some also had a rework without becoming part of the META f.ex. when Phoenix received their zetas (however, they might have been for a short while if more people had invested in the zetas). Yet other characters became part of the META (again) after other characters were introduced or reworked, f.ex. Rey, RT, Poe and Chopper became usefull again when RJT was introduced. As you can see, it's possible for former META characters like GM Yoda, Lando and and Jyn to become usefull in arenas again.

I agree. And I should have rephrased much of what I wrote before or proofread but it was a quick type and send. However to this post. I agree the arena has changed but why make it so previous “meta” teams become non existent. Basically, wish those previous teams can still compete and be viable instead of becoming extinct.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    I see Rex lead teams all over the place — and use him myself as well. Rex has been around for two years and always pops up in the META.

Of course new characters should push older characters off their throne. If they didn't what would be the incentive to buy all those new ones? If you could just max out 5—10 different toons and then stay competitive for years and years, then it would severely ruin the income of EA/CG.
  • Options
    TW gives some relevance to the past meta teams. Also if note is that there are a lot more characters that “could” be useful as a fifth, or even fourth on a lot of teams but many are using who is already geared due to usefulness elsewhere or copying what they see working for someone else.
    All in all the arena is trending in the right direction.