Fighting the META's

First, who is "nightmare"?

Second, my shard is a combination of these teams:

1) JTR Team - JTR, R2, CLS, Thrawn, Tank or Raid Han
2) EP Team - EP, DV, DN, DS (or other tank), Thrawn
3) CLS Team - CLS, Ch-aze, R2, Raid Han/Thrawn
4) Rare but barely occasional night sisters.

Can we definitively set the strats to kill these three teams so they go away forever? God I hate them. Every single fight is the same combination of these three teams no matter if you're back in the mid-100's or in the top 20.

Can't the devs come up with something better? There's the new movie squad, they just redid bounty hunters, there's ewoks, Jedi's, FO, Imperial Troopers, Rogue One, Phoenix..

But EVERYONE runs these 3 squads. I almost wish there was like a quota, so the top one hundred can only have a few of these squads in them.

Or if you don't use these squads, and you are in the top 100, you get a bonus. I think that's what I'd prefer.

Replies

• YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    "Nightmare" is Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader, Darth Nihilus, Darth Sion, Thrawn. Possibly swapping Vader out for Traya, if you're on a shard that has her unlocked.

There is always going to be a meta. If they introduce something new, there's just going to be a new meta. The key is to not introduce things too quickly, so that free players have time to participate in the current meta before it moves on.

A lot of those teams aren't necessarily the best, but rather they're the most straightforward to assemble, and the least out-of-the-way. But honestly, right now, this is a pretty diverse meta. There are about 150 characters in the game, and I'd say about a third of them are arena viable. What mix of them gets used will vary from shard to shard.
    Still not a he.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    "Nightmare" is Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader, Darth Nihilus, Darth Sion, Thrawn. Possibly swapping Vader out for Traya, if you're on a shard that has her unlocked.

There is always going to be a meta. If they introduce something new, there's just going to be a new meta. The key is to not introduce things too quickly, so that free players have time to participate in the current meta before it moves on.

A lot of those teams aren't necessarily the best, but rather they're the most straightforward to assemble, and the least out-of-the-way. But honestly, right now, this is a pretty diverse meta. There are about 150 characters in the game, and I'd say about a third of them are arena viable. What mix of them gets used will vary from shard to shard.

I don't think I'd say a third. I'd go more with a fifth.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Let's see.

For units that are under multiple headers, I'm gonna list them the first time they come up, but not again. So while R2 is almost always with JTR, I'm not listing him with JTR 'cuz he crops up with CLS first.

CLS Rebels:
    R2, Raid Han, Ezra, Hoth Leia, Chirrut, Baze, Princess Leia, Old Ben, Captain Han (10)

Nightsisters:
    Talzin (possibly lead), Asajj (probably better lead), Daka, Nightsister Zombie, Acolyte, Spirit, Talia, zBarriss (8)

Sith:
    Palpatine (probably lead), Vader, Nihilus, Sion, Traya, Maul (for AoE daze as a specific counter to certain teams), Sith Trooper, Thrawn (8)

First Order. Seldom #1, but they are certainly viable in the arena:
    Literally everyone except Phasma. (7)

JTR and the droids:
    BB-8, General Kenobi, Amilyn Holdo, Chopper, Enfys Nest, Scavenger Rey, Resistance Trooper, IG-88, IPD possibly L3 (10 or 11)

Rex titans:
    Only real addition here is Wampa. (2)

Empire: (especially under Thrawn, strong on offense, particularly against nightmare, though poor on defense)
    Krennic, Deathtrooper, Shoretrooper, Snowtrooper, Veers, Starck, Tarkin, TIE Fighter Pilot, maybe Magmatrooper in this debuff heavy meta (8 or 9)

Ackbar hybrid (still works on offense)
    Hermit Yoda (2)

So, by my tally, 53-55 arena viable units.
    Still not a he.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    JTR and nightmare are relatively new arrivals who have tremendously altered the landscape of the meta, which tends not to shift instantly.

Not every new thing is the new meta. The bounty hunter rework was for PvE, not the arena, as are most of the new scoundrels. The exception being Enfys Nest, who's explicitly designed to counter the turn meter train meta, and is already carving her niche in JTR and Rex teams.
    Still not a he.
  • Random9
    510 posts Member
    Options
    There is always going to be a meta. If they introduce something new, there's just going to be a new meta.

That doesn't make any sense. None of these groups are new. The new groups are the bounty hunters and the solo squad from the new movie.

It makes perfect sense. The new groups just aren’t viable aside from nest. These are the newest viable teams.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    That is a spectacular misrepresentation of what I said.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    JTR and nightmare are relatively new arrivals who have tremendously altered the landscape of the meta, which tends not to shift instantly.

I would argue that JTR is not new, nor is EP in this rapid release cadence. I'd say these 3 teams are now entrenched, which is what my problem is with them. There needs to be variety. For some reason my post was deleted, but where one poster says 55 players are arena worthy, I'm literally counting 14 in the top 150 of my shard:

CLS, Baze, Chir, R2, raid Han, JTR, BB8, GK, Obi, EP, DV, DS, DN, Thrawn.

That's because not everyone shard has every team listed above! The reason there is always a META is because it is an acronym: Most Efficient Team Available. Right now some teams can lose against some teams but win against others.
  • Options
    There's someone at the top of my arena that ran a 3 person squad. It was Traya lead, Darth Nihilus and Darth Sion. He was in spot 7. Traya was only 5 stars too. I don't know if that is showing off or the next meta--probably both! 3 characters can beat the current meta that is 5 characters! Good for him, too bad for us :)
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    The cadence sets our fundamental unit of time. It takes about 3 months for a character to go from marquee to F2P.

Sion was special in that he was usable fresh from the marquee. However, he just dropped as free to play and a lot of folks are still getting him up.

JTR is only a couple cycles old, and most folks couldn't get her first cycle. Sion's been generally available for less than one. That's still pretty new. Introduce too many earthshattering changes and the teams the free players have been working towards are irrelevant by the time they have that team ready.

As to your particular shard? Shards vary. Yours seems to be an uncommonly homogeneous shard, for not having a single Nightsisters or Rex/titans team on the leader boards.

Just because a unit is arena viable does not mean the individual will choose to use it.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    In my shard, the top 50 includes the following characters:

Characters in SWGOH arena top 50 (Dec 2017 shard):
    Commander Luke Skywalker
    R2D2
    Han Solo
    Chirrut
    Baze
    Emperor Palpatine
    Darth Vader
    Darth Nihilus
    Darth Sion
    Sith Trooper
    Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Grand Moff Tarkin
    General Kenobi
    Kylo Ren Unmasked
    First Order Stormtrooper
    Kylo Ren
    First Order Officer
    First Order Executioner
    Shoretrooper
    TIE Fighter Pilot
    CT-7567 “Rex”
    Death Trooper
    First Order TIE Pilot
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)
    Boba Fett
    Asajj Ventriss
    Mother Talzin
    Old Daka
    Nightsister Acolyte
    Nightsister Zombie
    Stormtrooper
    First Order SF TIE Fighter
    Wedge Antilles
    Biggs Darklighter

34 total

Basically, they’re grouped as Sith/Nightmare, Empire, CLS Rebels, First Order, Nightsisters, Rex mix. I’m sure my shard will also get a few Rey (Jedi Traning) teams after the upcoming event. So that’s 6 different team combinations (with room for one more) in the top 50. In your shard, it sounds like it’s more established so more folks have Rey teams. But the reason you don’t typically see Jedi or Jawa or Ewok or Separatist or Tusken teams (among others) in the top end of arena has nothing to do with players being unimaginative. Players use the same few teams because they work. They win battles on offense and don’t fall too far on defense. You can feel free to switch to any team you want, as long as you don’t mind losing rank and getting fewer crystals. At least you can be happy that there are options. Three team options are better than only having one that destroys everything else and has no counter. So if you’re getting bored with your battles, you can change up your own team to try something else. It just might cost you some arena rank to do it.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Random9 wrote: »
    There is always going to be a meta. If they introduce something new, there's just going to be a new meta.

That doesn't make any sense. None of these groups are new. The new groups are the bounty hunters and the solo squad from the new movie.

It makes perfect sense. The new groups just aren’t viable aside from nest. These are the newest viable teams.

Honestly I would not say the Scoundrels are not viable yet.

The Scoundrels seem built to break Palp and JTR and other TM teams. Also they are anti-AOE teams. I suspect Beckett and/or Vos are going to add to their options too. I know what the videos say, but the few I watched didn't even have Nest in them and Nest is THE anti meta toon among them. Her main weakness is solved by Vandor and she gives another assist source for Young Han.

Im guessing if they are releasing $1800+ worth of toons, they will beat the meta. Right now I would say the arena-viable version is Qira, Vandor, Young Han, Nest and L3. Lando is the prep-spreader but he takes time to build up so I think he is more for PVE. Bossk or Raid Han may fit in here too.

AOE daze, 3 counters, 3 healing sources, a rez and a very reliable and hard-hitting assist.

Also, Vandor is broken right now but if they fix him his Rez zeta will be wortwhile. Right now its useless and will almost never proc. L3's counter is almost certainly broken too.
    Post edited by VonZant on
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Wont let me edit post but Im 99% sure L3's counter is broken now too.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    From the day they were released until now...very few toons have stood the test of time in Arena.

New arrivals like Wampa and Nest, slightly less new like CLS, JTR, Talzin, Thrawn...sure, but how about old ones. There's only 2 that have never faltered...2 !!

Rex and GK and only 1 of those 2 is available to everyone. Rex is the 1 winner hands down that can lead 4 hodge-podge OP toons and make them meta. No-one else even comes close.
  • Options
    ^ Excellent post.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Poxx wrote: »
    From the day they were released until now...very few toons have stood the test of time in Arena.

New arrivals like Wampa and Nest, slightly less new like CLS, JTR, Talzin, Thrawn...sure, but how about old ones. There's only 2 that have never faltered...2 !!

Rex and GK and only 1 of those 2 is available to everyone. Rex is the 1 winner hands down that can lead 4 hodge-podge OP toons and make them meta. No-one else even comes close.

First time I have heard someone put it that way. You have helped me decide who my next fleet shop farm is.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Can we definitively set the strats to kill these three teams so they go away forever? God I hate them. Every single fight is the same combination of these three teams no matter if you're back in the mid-100's or in the top 20.

What team are you running? Without knowing the only strategic advice i can offer is kill them.
  • Obi_six_Kenobi
    370 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I agree that I get sick of seeing the nightmare teams. I run an Ackbar, CLS, Hermit Yoda, GK, and GMyoda, which I think is pretty unique (at least I’ve never seen anyone run it with GMYoda) and I just focus on having fun with being different. I can get in the top 10 on a dec 2016 shard (the. I drop like a tank:) but being different than all the stale copy cat teams is fun for me. I mean what’s the fun in winning with a team someone else came up with? Does it even feel like winning.