Me vs Phoenix = HELP!!!

Ok so I keep getting dealt all these massively aggro pheonix **** for my galactic wars - like every day this week and now I've come to this point where I'm 'beyond' **** I keep not finishing my wars. Every day it's either
- Pheonix right at the end (maybe I've already lost one or two of my good bomb toons and even if I have my full arsenal, the whole squad is 1 gear tier or just 10 - 15 'levels' superior to mine)
OR
- Pheonix right in the middle and I do 'eventually' prevail but lose so many toons it's impossible to finish my run...
I have no trouble with ANY other squad and if I don't land a *super-put-together* Pheonix in middle or very end of galactic, I usually ALWAYS clear the table without a single casualty! I hit far above my level / tier in squad / ship arena, and any of the single player modes. But Phoenix is just bane of my existence.

What I'm working with;
I am lv 62 player (pretty new still, I know, bear with me please!)
My all time heavy hitter is boba who is every ability maxxed at my lv, tier 7 (1 gear from 8 - and his payoff which ain't that great) and he's also my 'only' 7*. 11200 power, roughly. I'm good with him if I had a few more 10000+ toons, I wouldn't be begging for advice lol. I don't so here's an abridged rundown of my situation...

I usually run this in galactic and SLAY (except v pheonix)
CWChewie (L) maxxed lv 62 leader ability, but only about 4000 power; boba (above); Cad gear '6' offense abilities maxxed (he's my only other 6* and at 8500 power my 3rd best but I know already to drop him v phoenix); JC tier 7 5*, 8500 max; zaalbar gear 6 3* 4500 pow with basic att maxxed and wookie toughness at lv 3 (taunt + counter + self heals = meat shield, right?).

I know I need to sub some shiza in so here's some of my standouts...

- Talia 4*, tier 7, 7500 pow, max
- jango 3*, teir 6, 7500, max
- dooku 4*, tier 7, 7000ish, 1-2 from max on all abilities
- Vader 4*, tier 6, 6800, near max (leader ability max)
- t3m4 3*, tier 8(!), 7000, 1 away from max on all (ran out of ability mats)
- kylo unmasked 3*, tier 5(!... No 'scarred', I know that sucks), 5000ish not max
- luminara 4*, tier 7, 7800, max
- along with several other good toons so ask if you know of something else I should use (Aurra and crummy greedo to round out BH squad - NO EMBO which I know I need but my Aurra "is" good at stunning)

Anyway that's about the run down on my hardest hitters but I have a couple others with decent one-off debuffs and etc (tarkin of course, others).

***NOTE***
when I say "maxxed" or "1 from max" etc, I mean maxxed at MY lv (62) which is generally ability lvs 5-6

I have a monster sized pool of high tier health, defense, crit dam and crit chance mods to pull from too if there's any suggestions that direction...
I'm not 100% fluent on all the acronyms of this game yet, so if you reply "oh TH into a SVDR then go with an ATX and finish off a TCF..." I'm prob gonna be like "..... - WHAT?!" Lol...

Please please any help would be appreciated
- who I should use
- who to Target first
- what atts NOT to use
- what debuffs hurt pheonix most
- even just offhand "I've noticed X, Y and Z" because, guys, this is a serious prob and not looking like it's going away....

Replies

• Options
    Oh a little PS;
    The squad im facing now is lv 72 (how is that fair) all of them purple. It runs as follows...
    - Hera (L)
    - Ezra
    - Kanaan
    - Zeb
    - they don't even have a chopper but still kicking my butt, Luminara to round it out

(Some advice for THIS SQUAD is cool but also some tips assuming chopper helps in the longer run)
  • Options
    Ezra should be your first target. He's the only real damage dealer in the group, so if you take him out the rest of the team is just a matter of time. Dooku can stun Jedi so you should use him in there to help control Ezra and kanan. Vader can absolutely wreck phoenix, so I'd recommend Vader lead with Dooku and Boba maybe kru (kylo unmasked) can stun and dispell buffs, and luminara to fill out the squad and give you a healer
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Options
    Usually go dps first, unless I can somehow take kanan out quickly

Pheonix struggles against hard hitters that don't apply debuffs. While guys like vader and boba can stack debuffs and one shot them, it sucks when you bring one down to red and then in a single force crush heal them to full. Toons like scav rey, solo, ezra. Greedo fits in that category, but based off you calling him crummy he's not good enough at your level.

Luckily there's this counter to healing called healing immunity. You could apply all the debuffs you want with that applied. Jango brings it, so if your fighting with a team that applies debuffs, bring him along (I don't know how hard he hits on basic/period tho). Darth Sideous is an arena farm that brings it on basic, but you've got bigger fish to fry (unless this REALLY becomes an issue)

with someone like jango, the rest of the team can really be whoever. You can go debuff/control heavy with boba, jango, vader, dooku (then a healer/tank). Dooku can keep kanan from taunting while everyone else focuses one at a time

general fighting strat-
    control kanan and chopper. Don't want them taunting while ezra is still alive. they don't have a cleanse, so feel free to just apply ability block/stun and move on.(dooku is great at this vs Kanan and Vader's basic is unresistable vs rebels).

watch your aoe's. pheonix will counter with a group hug. Vader is uncounterable. But fetts' and Zaalbar, not so much.

if it helps, phoenix teams fall hard at max level.
  • Options
    i have a small tip to give, that you should do at ur lvl in GW
    use the 1st 2 fights to preload ur best team with tm (ie use ur best team in the 1st 2 fights so u get some sort of turn meter loaded)
    then play GW with ur 2nd best

once u get those amazing phnx team, u can use ur preloaded team, that is still fresh in terms of prot and health, and have all their abilities to get a head start on the phnx team
  • Options
    I've heard they suck later. I HATE them and am about fed up enough to never freaking use one EVER just out of sheer spite! But mid range they're OP. Not to mention - if I was fighting a pheonix squad that was comparable gear tier / level I could take them, I know I can, I beat them every time. It's **** that they throw an entire mutual-benefit-sharing squad in, ten levels above me, all purple when I'm still working 'over' 50% blue... If it was a halfway fair fight I wouldn't have an issue but I don't even have (really) a full 'squad' squad at all perhaps BH but with no embo that doesn't even count.
    Yeah heal block would destroy against them and jango can put it on a single toon for 2 turns every 4 turns but it's enough to get me there I suppose for now. I do need sidious I'm realizing his basic att heal block would annihilate thanks for pointing that out. 70 shards away for him though...
    Ezra first is the initial definitive pointer? See I never usually hit him first because him and kanaan usually have the most health and I always think I can get one of the less health guys out faster but never works for me so Ezra then kanaan then whoever I want is what I'm hearing? Apparently Ezra hits harder as time goes by which I didn't even KNOW! Lol... I haven't even 'really' taken time to in-depth 'study' the pheonix toons' individual abilities honestly because I just know I hate them passionately and am just gonna toss out there - anybody who uses g*y pheonix squad needs to grow some hair on their nuts and ACTUALLY build a team that takes skill, those jerks!
    Lol thanks for the input thus far tho and I'll welcome as much more as anyone could possibly add!
  • Options
    And trust me I learned my AoE lesson with bobas ability block att about 68 times over by now, I get that one! Lol
  • Options
    Great idea light! See? That's the kind of gold stuff that I was hoping I'd get from someone cause I never even thought of the fact that your toons save 'TM' between fights I sort of assumed that the 'tm' reset (although obviously I knew that cooldowns carried over so idk why I thought meter wouldn't...)
  • Options
    HK666 wrote: »
    Usually go dps first, unless I can somehow take kanan out quickly

Pheonix struggles against hard hitters that don't apply debuffs. While guys like vader and boba can stack debuffs and one shot them, it sucks when you bring one down to red and then in a single force crush heal them to full. Toons like scav rey, solo, ezra. Greedo fits in that category, but based off you calling him crummy he's not good enough at your level.

Luckily there's this counter to healing called healing immunity. You could apply all the debuffs you want with that applied. Jango brings it, so if your fighting with a team that applies debuffs, bring him along (I don't know how hard he hits on basic/period tho). Darth Sideous is an arena farm that brings it on basic, but you've got bigger fish to fry (unless this REALLY becomes an issue)

with someone like jango, the rest of the team can really be whoever. You can go debuff/control heavy with boba, jango, vader, dooku (then a healer/tank). Dooku can keep kanan from taunting while everyone else focuses one at a time

general fighting strat-
    control kanan and chopper. Don't want them taunting while ezra is still alive. they don't have a cleanse, so feel free to just apply ability block/stun and move on.(dooku is great at this vs Kanan and Vader's basic is unresistable vs rebels).

watch your aoe's. pheonix will counter with a group hug. Vader is uncounterable. But fetts' and Zaalbar, not so much.

if it helps, phoenix teams fall hard at max level.

I hate double, triple, quad, commenting my own post like a deu*che (I just did, what a deu*che!)

I just wanted to add in response to your "you've got bigger fish to fry unless this becomes REALLY a problem" comment real fast
    -
    -
    -
    It's ALREADY a *super* massive - Armageddon, end-of-days, cancer on my d*ck sized f*ckin problem for me, believe you that **** *right now*. I've been asking my guild about this stuff for a week, had to widen my potential pool of advisors, that's what this thread is lol
  • Options
    Kill order is usally Ezra, then whoevever you want.

If you can take down Kanan that'll stop the counters and the heal on debuff, but the time it takes to wear him down might not be worth it. I usually go Ezra- chopper- zeb- hera- kanan

you may want to reconsider never getting Pheonix. Importantly, they give you Thrawn and Chimera. Sabine is a Sith raid member. Less importantly they've got a few TB missions and TW stuff
  • Options
    Er... Farm Phoenix... Then beat GW easily...
    When you meet one in GW: chopper, hera, Ezra, rest.

Chopper stops the dual tank, hera prevents backup plan, Ezra removes the DPS.
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Short-term, follow the advice that's already been given. Healing immunity, focus the DPS.

When you start running into teams with Chopper and Kanan that might be more difficult because of the double taunt, so I often took Chopper down first and then the DPS.

Long-term: I hate to say it but you have made sub-optimal decisions. CW Chewie and JC have no place in your squad beyond level 40-50 or so. Even with all of the new toons that are out these days I strongly recommend Phoenix to start. If you don't want to do that, that's fine, but think about what uses the toons you're farming have within the game. CW Chewie has none (apart from a very niche and probably not optimal scoundrel team in Territory Wars). JC has a mediocre ship. Zaalbar's a good standalone toon but not a priority at the moment because he's not needed to help you clear any major content. Cad, until the last month, has been a waste of space.

Succeeding in this game is all about focus and resource management. Clearing GW is just one element of it, you also have to plan how you will approach arena/ship arena/legendary events/guild events.

Of course, this is all just advice for if you want to play optimally. Many people like to just level and gear the toons they like and aren't worried about the pace of their progression - if that's you then absolutely don't worry about any of this.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Options
    Hating Phoenix won't get you an inch further in the game, because you actually NEED them to unlock some of the very best toons in the game: Thrawn and Emperor Palpatine.
    Apart from that, they can win you the TW almost every day purely on survivability.
    I'm happy everybody always reminded me to farm Phoenix early on, because they helped me soooo much in the beginning.
    Hey, if you can't beat them, join them!
  • Options
    Moorebid wrote: »
    Hating Phoenix won't get you an inch further in the game, because you actually NEED them to unlock some of the very best toons in the game: Thrawn and Emperor Palpatine.
    Apart from that, they can win you the TW almost every day purely on survivability.
    I'm happy everybody always reminded me to farm Phoenix early on, because they helped me soooo much in the beginning.
    Hey, if you can't beat them, join them!

You can get Palpatine with any 5 rebels... In fact, sthan, Leia, farmboy, old ben, r2 will get you Palpatine and CLS..... And yes, I am aware you need 5 empire for r2, but new players should be farming both a ds and ls team anyways....

I'm with OP, when I first started this game was star wars galaxy of heras.... If I had done the same boring thing everyone else was doing I likely would have quit.... Instead, I went with first order and slaughtered my way to the top 20 in arena.... The extra crystals bolstered my farming and I was able to build a lot quicker than most of my shard mates....

Now I have Phoenix and Thrawn and I did it on my own terms..... I prefer to play the game and not have the game play me ....
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I struggled really hard against Phoenix teams when I was getting back into the game - I'd mow down the rest of my GW matches easily, but they seemed invincible, and no matter what I did I couldn't even eat through their protection. I eventually got beating them down to a science.

Maybe I'm weird, but I found going after Ezra first to be counterproductive - it'd take me numerous turns to beat him and by the time I got him down half my team was dead, so I'd just lose the war of attrition.

I found it much more effective to burn down Chopper first - he provides the Protection Up every time you land a hit, so knocking him out drastically reduces the amount of damage you need to do to eat through them. Hit him with a buff immunity if you have it, and then just drop the hammer until he's dead. It helps to throw a stun at Kanan as well to ensure he doesn't pull your attention away and allow Chopper to heal back up. Once the droid is down it becomes much easier to kill Ezra, and after that they have hardly any damage output so you've pretty much won.

The team I ended up using to beat them reliably was First Order - Kylo Unmasked, Kylo, and FO Tie Pilot/Stormtrooper/Officer.

u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member
    Options
    If you’ve got at least a five star Palpatine, his shock really helps against Kannan. No heal, and if you can stun with either dooku or palp then he’s game over, then you can focus on Ezra. That’s what I always did when facing them, then again, I don’t know how to help if you don’t have either of those sith. Any stun is very helpful.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/