Shouldn't Darth Sidious have a Galactic Republic Tag?

Aplus
138 posts Member
Was just wondering this the other day. I am not particularly DETERMINED for him to have the tag though, just curious.

I thought that maybe he was a sith and so technically wasn't considered part of the Galactic Republic as Chancellor Palpatine, but then there's EMPEROR palpatine. It would seem quite redundant to subdivide Chancellor Palpatine and Darth Sidious.

Another thing to factor in would be Galactic Republic tagged toons are all currently LS, so maybe CG want to keep it that way?

Replies

• Options
    He should either be Separatist or Republic. I'm leaning more towards Seps. He was Dooku's master after all.
  • Options
    I think he should have the Separatist tag. When he was his Darth Sidious persona, he was usually bossing around Dooku/Maul.

If they give him a Galactic Republic tag, then I think it'd have to be a Chancellor Palpatine character.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Well, he didn't really support the Republic, only pretended to so he can turn it into Empire. It bears similarity to one other case (KOTOR2 spoiler):
    Traya doesn't have Jedi tag either, despite pretending to be one at the beginning of the game.
  • Aplus
    138 posts Member
    Options
    BucMan55 wrote: »
    He should either be Separatist or Republic. I'm leaning more towards Seps. He was Dooku's master after all.

True, though the thought of considering Darth Sidious as a separatist weirds me out. Perhaps the fact that he is a puppet master controlling Dooku while Dooku is the leader of the Separatist makes him neither Separatist or Republic?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Aplus wrote: »

True, though the thought of considering Darth Sidious as a separatist weirds me out. Perhaps the fact that he is a puppet master controlling Dooku while Dooku is the leader of the Separatist makes him neither Separatist or Republic?

Precisely. He supports neither the Republic nor the Separatists, only switches between a "Republic" and "Separatist" persona to further his own goals.
  • Options
    I'd have thought separatist myself.

This thread has got me thinking about this 'Neutral' alignment that appeared months ago and where this sits in the grand scheme of things? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doesn't apply to Sidious obviously.
  • Tattz
    192 posts Member
    Options
    Vader should have the droid tag aswell
  • Options
    No
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    It's been made pretty clear that he NEVER actually fought as Sidious with the separatist army, and never fought PERIOD as chancellor until he was discovered at the end of episode 3.

And had he fought, he had to stay in whichever character he was posing as just to maintain the lie. So Sidious would NEVER fight for/with the Republic. Just to drive the point home as to how different they were, Ian McDiarmid was never told Sidious, and Palpatine were the same person during filming of episode 1. He was given separate directions for the characters, and had to piece it together himself that it was one person.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    Sidious manipulated both the separatists and the galactic republic. When he was done with them, he killed the separatists and dissolved the republic. That's Sith through and through, and he wouldn't have identified as either as they were merely pawns.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    Yoda was also dookus master
  • Broxxor
    595 posts Member
    Options
    Sheev palpatine (the chancellor) was galactic republic.

Darth sidious was a Sith. Not galactic republoc

Emperor Palpatine was a Sith but also ruler of the Empire (not the Republic).

They're all the same person, but different characters.
  • Options
    No
    Tattz wrote: »

And No
  • Options
    Clearly, if Sidious should have a tag, it should actually be both Separatist AND Galactic Republic. I mean he was a puppet master in every sense of the word, and really was the leader of both factions.

That being said however, he never fought openly together with either faction, and preferred to stay in the shadows... It also would be weird from a fluff perspective to field him next to say Anakin or Kenobi, or Dooku and Grievous for that matter, given Sidious' dedication to secrecy/Paranoia.

I think he should stay as his current faction-less self.. But he does deserve some much needed OOMPH! Rework Sidious and make him badass! (pretty please)
  • Options
    No

And No

Haha but yes. That would be so funny.
  • Options
    Yes, and the Vets should have the Resistence-tag...
    B)
  • Tattz
    192 posts Member
    Options
    No

And No

Well why does grievous have the droid tag then

• Tattz
    192 posts Member
    Options
    So yes
    No

And No

And yes

• Options

c3erm0yljgr9.gif
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    No

And No

His kit description goes out of the way to point that one out - "Although he hates being called a droid, he counts as one in Combat". Probably because all his abilities derive from his robotics, whereas all of Vader's abilities come from the force.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options

I believe cyborg is the word you are thinking of, not droid.
  • Tattz
    192 posts Member
    Options

I believe cyborg is the word you are thinking of, not droid.

So grievous should have the cyborg tag then ?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    should stormtrooper han get an empire ánd trooper tag?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    should stormtrooper han get an empire ánd trooper tag?

Yes... :smirk:
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • Options
    Sidious should have the Separatist tag, but not the republic tag.

He may have been the defacto leader of both, but in reality he created the separatists to destroy the republic.

Through puppet strings or not, the separatists were really the beginnings of his empire.
  • Options
    VaexquaGer wrote: »
    Yes, and the Vets should have the Resistence-tag...
    B)
    I agree