Balancing Character Upgrades?

First, I would like to applaud CG for having several well- balanced farming mechanics.Mods, Zetas, credits, and shard farming all come together very well when attempting to max a character. However, gear, particularly to sub 3.5m players is extremely slow.
I believe at a higher gp this is probably a balanced mechanic- those that had Anakin, Ewoks, Geonosians, etc. geared will not feel this limiting factor. Currently I see these individuals applauding reworks and new character events since they have many of the requirements. However, those of us at lower gp will actually see these as a detriment since we will obviously be outpaced by our veteran counterparts.
My humble suggestion is this: when reworking characters or making older characters required for events, please consider softening some of the gear needed for maxing out these characters. I firmly believe this would increase dolphin- level spending since it would allow a larger player base gp participate.

Replies

  • Tactyou
    754 posts Member
    First, I would like to applaud CG for having several well- balanced farming mechanics.Mods, Zetas, credits, and shard farming all come together very well when attempting to max a character.

    What??

  • Kyno
    20741 posts Moderator
    You are not being outpaced by veteran players, they have sunk in the time to be where they are. Also many of us farmed these characters when they were less than useful.

    The game is about time (time = $$), we all put our time and/or $$ into this game to get where we are.

    There are a lot more places to get gear and characters than veteran players had. New players also dont need to "catch up" to veterans, they only face new players unless they are trying to put themselves in a place where they are beyond thier limits.

    Reworks are great for newer players as they make more options for viable paths they can follow, they also make required toons more versatile. Many veterans have a roughly geared 7* Eeth Koth from the first runs of Yoda. He is a top notch bench warmer.

    I'm not saying the pace of the game couldn't use some love, but reworks are in no way a detriment to new players.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    You are not being outpaced by veteran players, they have sunk in the time to be where they are. Also many of us farmed these characters when they were less than useful.

    The game is about time (time = $$), we all put our time and/or $$ into this game to get where we are.

    There are a lot more places to get gear and characters than veteran players had. New players also dont need to "catch up" to veterans, they only face new players unless they are trying to put themselves in a place where they are beyond thier limits.

    Reworks are great for newer players as they make more options for viable paths they can follow, they also make required toons more versatile. Many veterans have a roughly geared 7* Eeth Koth from the first runs of Yoda. He is a top notch bench warmer.

    I'm not saying the pace of the game couldn't use some love, but reworks are in no way a detriment to new players.

    The detriment is in TW.
  • And let me take a guess kno, you're+3.5m gp
  • Kyno
    20741 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »
    You are not being outpaced by veteran players, they have sunk in the time to be where they are. Also many of us farmed these characters when they were less than useful.

    The game is about time (time = $$), we all put our time and/or $$ into this game to get where we are.

    There are a lot more places to get gear and characters than veteran players had. New players also dont need to "catch up" to veterans, they only face new players unless they are trying to put themselves in a place where they are beyond thier limits.

    Reworks are great for newer players as they make more options for viable paths they can follow, they also make required toons more versatile. Many veterans have a roughly geared 7* Eeth Koth from the first runs of Yoda. He is a top notch bench warmer.

    I'm not saying the pace of the game couldn't use some love, but reworks are in no way a detriment to new players.

    The detriment is in TW.

    In certain cases yes, i.e. - a veteran is in a guild that is on average "below them" or a new player is in a guild that is "above them".

    Those are choices made in small groups and not the average. Which means changes like this dont really help them.

    Also, any changes made will be made for everyone and therefore everyone will be at this increased pace, not just new players.

    Any relation to X GP, or X time in game and everything is better, is a misnomer. There is always a grind, always toons you need/want. The game is a grind that doesn't go good or bad, it changes and moves but is always ever present. Make a plan and work the plan is always the way to 'play the game'.

  • Omeah
    920 posts Member
    First, I would like to applaud CG for having several well- balanced farming mechanics.Mods, Zetas, credits, and shard farming all come together very well when attempting to max a character. However, gear, particularly to sub 3.5m players is extremely slow.
    I believe at a higher gp this is probably a balanced mechanic- those that had Anakin, Ewoks, Geonosians, etc. geared will not feel this limiting factor. Currently I see these individuals applauding reworks and new character events since they have many of the requirements. However, those of us at lower gp will actually see these as a detriment since we will obviously be outpaced by our veteran counterparts.
    My humble suggestion is this: when reworking characters or making older characters required for events, please consider softening some of the gear needed for maxing out these characters. I firmly believe this would increase dolphin- level spending since it would allow a larger player base gp participate.

    I really don’t understand what you want? You want new characters to require less gear? How would that help “catching up”? Veteran players would have the same low requirements then.

    Also what do you want to “catch up” to? You don’t compete against veteran players anyway. If you are playing for 6 months, you won’t face people who played for 3 years. If you currently face people who are much higher GP than you, it’s more likely that they are whales.
  • i agree with Kyno on this one, if you wanted to be better, you should’ve started earlier like the rest of us or put in money like the whales do. If you dont like it, become a casual player.
  • Betting on power creep is how new players catch up. I have been playing for a year and only have 1.5 Mill GP. Since my roster includes JKR, a 6 star Han's Falcon, and a good NS team. My roster brings more to the table for raids and TW then most people who have been playing for half a year longer.

    Some of the new powerful chars such as Chewie, and C3P0 put older players at a noticeable advantage for obtaining them. However the current top arena and fleet arena teams were not among them.
  • Omeah wrote: »
    First, I would like to applaud CG for having several well- balanced farming mechanics.Mods, Zetas, credits, and shard farming all come together very well when attempting to max a character. However, gear, particularly to sub 3.5m players is extremely slow.
    I believe at a higher gp this is probably a balanced mechanic- those that had Anakin, Ewoks, Geonosians, etc. geared will not feel this limiting factor. Currently I see these individuals applauding reworks and new character events since they have many of the requirements. However, those of us at lower gp will actually see these as a detriment since we will obviously be outpaced by our veteran counterparts.
    My humble suggestion is this: when reworking characters or making older characters required for events, please consider softening some of the gear needed for maxing out these characters. I firmly believe this would increase dolphin- level spending since it would allow a larger player base gp participate.

    I really don’t understand what you want? You want new characters to require less gear? How would that help “catching up”? Veteran players would have the same low requirements then.

    Also what do you want to “catch up” to? You don’t compete against veteran players anyway. If you are playing for 6 months, you won’t face people who played for 3 years. If you currently face people who are much higher GP than you, it’s more likely that they are whales.

    No, I want old characters to require less gear.
  • Kyno
    20741 posts Moderator
    Omeah wrote: »
    First, I would like to applaud CG for having several well- balanced farming mechanics.Mods, Zetas, credits, and shard farming all come together very well when attempting to max a character. However, gear, particularly to sub 3.5m players is extremely slow.
    I believe at a higher gp this is probably a balanced mechanic- those that had Anakin, Ewoks, Geonosians, etc. geared will not feel this limiting factor. Currently I see these individuals applauding reworks and new character events since they have many of the requirements. However, those of us at lower gp will actually see these as a detriment since we will obviously be outpaced by our veteran counterparts.
    My humble suggestion is this: when reworking characters or making older characters required for events, please consider softening some of the gear needed for maxing out these characters. I firmly believe this would increase dolphin- level spending since it would allow a larger player base gp participate.

    I really don’t understand what you want? You want new characters to require less gear? How would that help “catching up”? Veteran players would have the same low requirements then.

    Also what do you want to “catch up” to? You don’t compete against veteran players anyway. If you are playing for 6 months, you won’t face people who played for 3 years. If you currently face people who are much higher GP than you, it’s more likely that they are whales.

    No, I want old characters to require less gear.

    How would that be fair to a new player who just got the toon 7* and fully geared just before the rework?

    There are players at many levels all across the board, there is no real definition of "new" player.

    Many old characters are getting a resurgence of usefulness through reworks or new characters in that faction, why would they "give away" more just when it's becoming useful?
  • Omeah
    920 posts Member
    Omeah wrote: »
    First, I would like to applaud CG for having several well- balanced farming mechanics.Mods, Zetas, credits, and shard farming all come together very well when attempting to max a character. However, gear, particularly to sub 3.5m players is extremely slow.
    I believe at a higher gp this is probably a balanced mechanic- those that had Anakin, Ewoks, Geonosians, etc. geared will not feel this limiting factor. Currently I see these individuals applauding reworks and new character events since they have many of the requirements. However, those of us at lower gp will actually see these as a detriment since we will obviously be outpaced by our veteran counterparts.
    My humble suggestion is this: when reworking characters or making older characters required for events, please consider softening some of the gear needed for maxing out these characters. I firmly believe this would increase dolphin- level spending since it would allow a larger player base gp participate.

    I really don’t understand what you want? You want new characters to require less gear? How would that help “catching up”? Veteran players would have the same low requirements then.

    Also what do you want to “catch up” to? You don’t compete against veteran players anyway. If you are playing for 6 months, you won’t face people who played for 3 years. If you currently face people who are much higher GP than you, it’s more likely that they are whales.

    No, I want old characters to require less gear.

    You can't change the gear of characters, the gear determines their stats, changing the gear could fundamentally change a character, genius. Also if something like that ever happened, those who already invested gear in them MUST get a refund of gears, meaning all the "evil" veteran players would get tons of valuable gear - again, "new players" wouldn't be able to catch up.
  • The fastest way to level gear is to be in a guild with all three raids on farm. Spend your GET on gear. Spend your shard shop on gear.

    The older characters have an easy requirement to GS 10 and 11 compared to the newer characters like Daka requiring 3 med boxes and a stun gun.

    I am going to say this and it’s been brought up on another thread by me. Yes, Geonosis TB is going to be bad for new players because you’ve all been chasing a meta because of all the guides out there. Very sorry. That was your choice to PVP rather than explore the rest of the game. Now you have a choice to sit a few GTB out and expand your roster or spend money and get your Seps up to speed like the 3.6 million + crowd. Just a hint, there’s a light side GTB as well and they’ve already said think on Kit Fisto and the Jedi who were at Geonosis being required.

    And Kyno is a veteran player with knowledge. Instead of bashing him you should be asking for guidance. He will help you if you ask politely.

    Ready, set, gear....
  • Roopehunter
    1188 posts Member
    edited April 28
    The fastest way to level gear is to be in a guild with all three raids on farm. Spend your GET on gear. Spend your shard shop on gear.

    The older characters have an easy requirement to GS 10 and 11 compared to the newer characters like Daka requiring 3 med boxes and a stun gun.

    I am going to say this and it’s been brought up on another thread by me. Yes, Geonosis TB is going to be bad for new players because you’ve all been chasing a meta because of all the guides out there. Very sorry. That was your choice to PVP rather than explore the rest of the game. Now you have a choice to sit a few GTB out and expand your roster or spend money and get your Seps up to speed like the 3.6 million + crowd. Just a hint, there’s a light side GTB as well and they’ve already said think on Kit Fisto and the Jedi who were at Geonosis being required.

    And Kyno is a veteran player with knowledge. Instead of bashing him you should be asking for guidance. He will help you if you ask politely.

    Ready, set, gear....

    Youre acting like you know the requirements for GTBs. Lets wait and actually see it. For all we know, it could require the new sep droids. I doubt older players have them maxed.

    [Ive removed this part myself, because ive changed my mind - Roopehunter]
    Post edited by Roopehunter on
  • The fastest way to level gear is to be in a guild with all three raids on farm. Spend your GET on gear. Spend your shard shop on gear.

    The older characters have an easy requirement to GS 10 and 11 compared to the newer characters like Daka requiring 3 med boxes and a stun gun.

    I am going to say this and it’s been brought up on another thread by me. Yes, Geonosis TB is going to be bad for new players because you’ve all been chasing a meta because of all the guides out there. Very sorry. That was your choice to PVP rather than explore the rest of the game. Now you have a choice to sit a few GTB out and expand your roster or spend money and get your Seps up to speed like the 3.6 million + crowd. Just a hint, there’s a light side GTB as well and they’ve already said think on Kit Fisto and the Jedi who were at Geonosis being required.

    And Kyno is a veteran player with knowledge. Instead of bashing him you should be asking for guidance. He will help you if you ask politely.

    Ready, set, gear....

    We didn’t chase a meta because of the « guides out there » and we didn’t choose pvp over « exploring the rest of the game ». Every mode in this game requires specific teams to be played, access ressources or perform at an acceptable level. I’ve been playing since november 2017 and i’ve barely started working on a team i liked just because i liked it. Not even done with it yet and won’t be for quite some time since the seemingly infinite streak of legendaries keeps going.
    The past 7 month there have been a new hero’s journey or legendary every month or close to, with ever increasing requirements in gear/ability mats. As a new player if you want your roster to be somewhat effective you have to focus farm every single required team in the game from empire to ewoks then build your raid teams (which require cls, jtr, r2, bb8, thrawn, nightsisters...) + an effective arena team still useful elsewhere which would be revan.

    To be clear i disagree with what op said, but i disagree with what you said even more.

    And you only face people who started at the same time as you in 1 out of 4 pvp game modes.
  • Kyno
    20741 posts Moderator
    The fastest way to level gear is to be in a guild with all three raids on farm. Spend your GET on gear. Spend your shard shop on gear.

    The older characters have an easy requirement to GS 10 and 11 compared to the newer characters like Daka requiring 3 med boxes and a stun gun.

    I am going to say this and it’s been brought up on another thread by me. Yes, Geonosis TB is going to be bad for new players because you’ve all been chasing a meta because of all the guides out there. Very sorry. That was your choice to PVP rather than explore the rest of the game. Now you have a choice to sit a few GTB out and expand your roster or spend money and get your Seps up to speed like the 3.6 million + crowd. Just a hint, there’s a light side GTB as well and they’ve already said think on Kit Fisto and the Jedi who were at Geonosis being required.

    And Kyno is a veteran player with knowledge. Instead of bashing him you should be asking for guidance. He will help you if you ask politely.

    Ready, set, gear....

    Youre acting like you know the requirements for GTBs. Lets wait and actually see it. For all we know, it could require the new sep droids. I doubt older players have them maxed.

    Regarding your note on, Kyno, yes, he's old, but he is rare to actually say something in a constructive way. He's usually just defending for CG over some nonsense like a blind fanboy and baiting flame wars.

    May I ask what you are saying here that is constructive?
  • Roopehunter
    1188 posts Member
    edited April 28
    Kyno wrote: »
    The fastest way to level gear is to be in a guild with all three raids on farm. Spend your GET on gear. Spend your shard shop on gear.

    The older characters have an easy requirement to GS 10 and 11 compared to the newer characters like Daka requiring 3 med boxes and a stun gun.

    I am going to say this and it’s been brought up on another thread by me. Yes, Geonosis TB is going to be bad for new players because you’ve all been chasing a meta because of all the guides out there. Very sorry. That was your choice to PVP rather than explore the rest of the game. Now you have a choice to sit a few GTB out and expand your roster or spend money and get your Seps up to speed like the 3.6 million + crowd. Just a hint, there’s a light side GTB as well and they’ve already said think on Kit Fisto and the Jedi who were at Geonosis being required.

    And Kyno is a veteran player with knowledge. Instead of bashing him you should be asking for guidance. He will help you if you ask politely.

    Ready, set, gear....

    Youre acting like you know the requirements for GTBs. Lets wait and actually see it. For all we know, it could require the new sep droids. I doubt older players have them maxed.

    Regarding your note on, Kyno, yes, he's old, but he is rare to actually say something in a constructive way. He's usually just defending for CG over some nonsense like a blind fanboy and baiting flame wars.

    May I ask what you are saying here that is constructive?

    To stop panicking (@ op) and judging (@ usaf), because we don't have the relevant information published yet.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • The fastest way to level gear is to be in a guild with all three raids on farm. Spend your GET on gear. Spend your shard shop on gear.

    The older characters have an easy requirement to GS 10 and 11 compared to the newer characters like Daka requiring 3 med boxes and a stun gun.

    I am going to say this and it’s been brought up on another thread by me. Yes, Geonosis TB is going to be bad for new players because you’ve all been chasing a meta because of all the guides out there. Very sorry. That was your choice to PVP rather than explore the rest of the game. Now you have a choice to sit a few GTB out and expand your roster or spend money and get your Seps up to speed like the 3.6 million + crowd. Just a hint, there’s a light side GTB as well and they’ve already said think on Kit Fisto and the Jedi who were at Geonosis being required.

    And Kyno is a veteran player with knowledge. Instead of bashing him you should be asking for guidance. He will help you if you ask politely.

    Ready, set, gear....

    Youre acting like you know the requirements for GTBs. Lets wait and actually see it. For all we know, it could require the new sep droids. I doubt older players have them maxed.

    Regarding your note on, Kyno, yes, he's old, but he is rare to actually say something in a constructive way. He's usually just defending for CG over some nonsense like a blind fanboy and baiting flame wars.

    Carrie has stated that the Sep droids will make it easier in the same sense that certain BHs made Chewie or Ewoks made 3PO easier. It can be done with any Seps as proven by the testers and CG has no intention of changing that.

    Here’s the posting from Ultra from Reddit...
    Ultra wrote: »
    StarSon wrote: »
    Coolnessda wrote: »
    I can almost 100% guarantee we will need all the newer droids as part of this event.

    I can without a doubt guarantee you are wrong. They will make it easier, but they will not be required to beat it.
    Well Carrie is going around Reddit answering 50 threads instead of the official forums and she pretty much confirmed this

    u811vd505ifo.png

    Not that we needed a confirmation for the obvious

  • JohnAran wrote: »
    The fastest way to level gear is to be in a guild with all three raids on farm. Spend your GET on gear. Spend your shard shop on gear.

    The older characters have an easy requirement to GS 10 and 11 compared to the newer characters like Daka requiring 3 med boxes and a stun gun.

    I am going to say this and it’s been brought up on another thread by me. Yes, Geonosis TB is going to be bad for new players because you’ve all been chasing a meta because of all the guides out there. Very sorry. That was your choice to PVP rather than explore the rest of the game. Now you have a choice to sit a few GTB out and expand your roster or spend money and get your Seps up to speed like the 3.6 million + crowd. Just a hint, there’s a light side GTB as well and they’ve already said think on Kit Fisto and the Jedi who were at Geonosis being required.

    And Kyno is a veteran player with knowledge. Instead of bashing him you should be asking for guidance. He will help you if you ask politely.

    Ready, set, gear....

    We didn’t chase a meta because of the « guides out there » and we didn’t choose pvp over « exploring the rest of the game ». Every mode in this game requires specific teams to be played, access ressources or perform at an acceptable level. I’ve been playing since november 2017 and i’ve barely started working on a team i liked just because i liked it. Not even done with it yet and won’t be for quite some time since the seemingly infinite streak of legendaries keeps going.
    The past 7 month there have been a new hero’s journey or legendary every month or close to, with ever increasing requirements in gear/ability mats. As a new player if you want your roster to be somewhat effective you have to focus farm every single required team in the game from empire to ewoks then build your raid teams (which require cls, jtr, r2, bb8, thrawn, nightsisters...) + an effective arena team still useful elsewhere which would be revan.

    To be clear i disagree with what op said, but i disagree with what you said even more.

    And you only face people who started at the same time as you in 1 out of 4 pvp game modes.

    Are new players forced to farm and spend resources on Jawas to unlock mods? Or any other teams to unlock the mods at all. Nope. They now have Mod Energy and are spared that.

    First Order which opens BB-8 is awesome in phase 3 and 4 of HSTR and good in TW and GA.
    RJT is good in phase 1 of HSTR and good on offense in TW and GA.
    CLS is great period
    Empire is pretty effective in phase 4 with Traya solo
    Empire gets R2 who is good on multiple teams
    Ewoks are really good in Phase 4 Traya solo
    C-3PO is good for Phase 1 or phase 3 HSTR and great in Arena, TW and GA
    Chewie is good for Phase 3 HSTR bounty and the beast or as a stand in for Chirrut Chex Mix and is still effective with CLS in Arena TW and GA
    Phoenix gets Thrawn and they are effective in Phase 2 HSTR and part of the Falcon Meta as pilots
    Jedi get GMY, part of the JKR meta and effective in all phases of HSTR, TW, GA and Arena.

    The only iffy toons that I still have issues with CG making us farm for another character are Vet Han and Chewie and the other Old Republic characters not used on the DR and JKR metas. I have read people like them in GA and TW, but I’ve not taken any of them above GS8 to see for myself.

    Resources are thin for everyone unless you are purchasing vaults every week and/or are being carried by a guild in raids. This is a gatcha game and the point is to make players spend money. If you don’t spend then you’re stuck with what is given as rewards. And let’s be honest, the bottleneck is Stun Guns Mark V, Golden Eyeballs and the occasional Gold Med Pak. Then it’s omegas and Zetas. And finally, there are the thirty 20+ secondary speed mods folks have for Arena. Those are the thing that plague us all.
  • TVF
    13519 posts Member
    Purple mk6 medpacs are way more problematic than mk12 gold medpacs.
    TVF's guild is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • You can’t change gear requirements on old toons since people invested in those. I don’t have a lot of the old toons geared since I started playing after HAAT was out(and after it got reworked) but can’t make it easier for myself since it’s unfair to the people who invested their resources into those guys.

    What you should be suggesting, maybe have the new characters have new gear that is farmable. Like the Darth Revan/Malak gear that you basically have to buy. But insert the new gear into more farming spots, challenges, guild store etc like the current stun guns, carbantis, etc then everyone is on an even playing field with the new gear.
    Leave out cuffs, stun guns, carbantis, eye balls from new toons and make them need this new gear instead. Then you can farm the new stuff for the new characters but use the “old gear” that you get to slowly catch up with what you’re back logged on now while the old players would get caught up faster but would have to just let that stuff accumulate.
Sign In or Register to comment.