I hate the current GA MatchMaking

Many players will say: "You don't win because you can't play well."

Before the last update, I won usually at least 2 or 3 matches, but now I win only 1 match, if I'm lucky.
So I don't think I'm bad to play.

Surely they will answer: "So you hate it because you don't win!"
Ok, you're right, I don't like it because I can't win.

But if I don't win because 6 of 8 opponents in my group have an advantage in terms of teams and galactic power, am I not right to find this matchmaking unfair?

This is now the third GA I participate.
I have always found myself to be the player with the least galactic power in the group and to have to face players with 200, 400 or 600 k of galactic power of heroes more than me.
To bring my collection to the level of the average opponent that I find, I should grow a couple of teams between:
- Droids
- Smugglers (Qi'ra, L3-37 and Ciubecca Vendor)
- Genosians with the new leader
- Old Republic with Padme
So with this matchmaking I could maybe go back to good levels in 2-3 months ...
Ok, now I try to talk in more general terms.
If I need 8 defensive teams, then this matchmaking has big drawbacks because it fails to make a correct comparison between all the necessary teams and often matches 6 players with more than 16 acceptable teams to a couple of players who struggle to put together 14.
If EA's attention was to ensure a better balance in the group stage, then the thing that surprises me most is that a player with an incomplete Darth Revan team may find themselves facing players with a maxed Darth Revan team, with a Malak to G12 and other characters already optimized.
It seems to me that in this and other aspects, EA has a habit of complicating things much more than necessary. In the GA each player has a global score and the rewards are received based on their category.
Then it would not be easier to do matchmaking by grouping players with galactic power and similar global score in the same round (on galactic power I would accept a tolerance of 100k more or less to avoid my criticism)
In the first events of GA there could be unbalanced clashes, but they would still be justified by a simple and logical reason: the same galactic power.
Then, from event to event, those who continue to win will come up against better prizes with others who continue to win, while those who lose will find themselves in groups more within their reach from time to time.

But if you keep saying that it's my fault that I don't know how to play and this matchmaking is okay, I doubt that you like to have a couple of players in the group that are considerably weaker than you and that assure you at least a sure victory.

Replies

• Options
    i totally agree with you. I am always the weakest player in my group. My current opponent has 3,7 million GP while I struggle with 2,5 million. And almost every match is like that. It kills all the fun.
    My opponents win because they can clear my „second defense line“ with 3 or 4 try’s, because they have enough Chars for these try’s. I have one attack team for every field. They got like 1,5 or two per field/squad
    Looks like a lot of f2p players gonna quit this game really
    The least EA/CG could do is to block some characters for stronger players. Like they say for attacking and defense both players can use 65 Chars. Not more. This would be more fair in my opinion.

While announcing the GA championship I was so exited. But the result is useless to me and for a lot of other players as well.
    Honestly I don’t think something is going to change
  • Options
    I totally agree, Grand Arena was the place where f2p player could win some rounds earlier but now matchmaking removes that possibility. I don't have Revan yet and when I will have him I will meet fully geared meta squads whitout any limit. If EA want me to put money to this game it really not happen this way. Unfortunately, at the moment, I can not see future for this game and I am thinking to quit after two years continuous playing.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    I totally agree, Grand Arena was the place where f2p player could win some rounds earlier but now matchmaking removes that possibility. I don't have Revan yet and when I will have him I will meet fully geared meta squads whitout any limit. If EA want me to put money to this game it really not happen this way. Unfortunately, at the moment, I can not see future for this game and I am thinking to quit after two years continuous playing.
    No, it does not remove that possibility. You can do fine as a free-to-play. I certainly am. This is not an F2P/P2P issue.

No matter what the matchmaking algorithm, it will always favor someone with some shape of roster. If that roster is less the shape of yours now, that's not a catering to whales issue. The shape of your roster is just less optimal than it was two months ago.

Two months ago, the matchmaking algorithm disproportionately favored low fluff. Now it favors broad usable assets right below the pertinent range. That's not an F2P/P2P distinction. That's just the inevitable favoring of one person or another.

They updated the algorithm. It's less easily manipulated now. It is absolutely more fair now overall. But it has one key weakness in its breakdown at very high power where usable assets below the pertinent range balloon, leading to mismatches.

You say you don't see a future for this game, but the future seems pretty obvious in this regard. The mode is about eight months old, and we're at the third or fourth announced iteration of the algorithm, and doubtless there are some unannounced tweaks behind the scenes. They'll keep working on it.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    Dear YaeVizsla, I didn't mention whales at all in my earlier comment because I think they play (should at least) in the different category / level than us (f2p). But mixing wide roster players (with big gp values) and those who have optimized (geared up) their limited number of squads during their whole gaming history is... wrong. In my situation the only way to start winning again in the GA would mean multiple new squads (with gears). That I can't get without money. So, I see this change as a end of this game. I have used quite much time when grinding up my squads and now when I really start to gain something with them (in GA) I have lost the whole work and time. With the current matchmaking I can not get reasonable opponents in the GA.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for you comment, as I totally agree with you! I’m starting to be disgusted by the game because of this matchmaking, which I absolutely don’t understand!

I’m facing oponents which have mini 3.7M PG, while I only have 3M PG, with absolutely no possibility to win (they all have minimum 2 full G12 teams more than me), usually 10 more zeta, they are all in the division above me! How are we suppose to win against them seriously?

I am very disappointed about this matchmaking which is a total nonsense... Please find a solution soon

• Options
    And as expected ... this is my fourth big arena and once again I find myself in the same situation.

All my opponents have a galactic heroes power superior to mine and the usual teams I don't have. 2 also have Malak. In this table I'm JB, the last one, sure.
          Power         Delta         GA Position 
    Mi    2.778.833    (+470.417)     15.333
    Js    2.769.854    (+461.438)     14.296    (Malak)
    Pe    2.677.990    (+369.574)     10.043
    Ji    2.599.870    (+291.454)      3.211    (Malak)
    Gh    2.542.759    (+234.343)      7.470
    Da    2.508.829    (+200.413)      8.090
    Mi    2.453.520    (+145.104)     17.559
    JB    2.308.416                   20.230

Well, 4 times out of 4 can not be bad luck, there is something buggy in the algorithm in use that always discourages the same.

I really hope something changes, and quick.

The most sensible system seems to me the most obvious, if I played against close enough players in the standings, I could have the hope of arriving in the top 4.
    I would therefore increase in position and from the next round I would continue to always find players more or less within my reach.

But being constantly the sacrificial lamb is tiring me ...
  • Options
    And as expected ... this is my fourth big arena and once again I find myself in the same situation.

All my opponents have a galactic heroes power superior to mine and the usual teams I don't have. 2 also have Malak. In this table I'm JB, the last one, sure.
          Power         Delta         GA Position 
    Mi    2.778.833    (+470.417)     15.333
    Js    2.769.854    (+461.438)     14.296    (Malak)
    Pe    2.677.990    (+369.574)     10.043
    Ji    2.599.870    (+291.454)      3.211    (Malak)
    Gh    2.542.759    (+234.343)      7.470
    Da    2.508.829    (+200.413)      8.090
    Mi    2.453.520    (+145.104)     17.559
    JB    2.308.416                   20.230

Well, 4 times out of 4 can not be bad luck, there is something buggy in the algorithm in use that always discourages the same.

I really hope something changes, and quick.

The most sensible system seems to me the most obvious, if I played against close enough players in the standings, I could have the hope of arriving in the top 4.
    I would therefore increase in position and from the next round I would continue to always find players more or less within my reach.

But being constantly the sacrificial lamb is tiring me ...

You're in that position because you obviously have a great roster at the top that is comparable with the opponents you're up against. If you're concerned with the GP below the top 60 - 80 toons, then your answer is simple. Start building a platoon of G8 characters to use as fodder for your opponents back walls (like you state they are doing to you). Building G8 toons are easy and you likely have all the gear required to this already.
  • Options
    Its all to keep the whales in game . feed that ego , feed that profit .
    We all know how the free to play get treated and used as cannon fodder hence EAs massive fan club .
    YaeVizla again il ask how long have you worked EA/CGs damage control as most of your feedback is in defence time and time again and looking around that only comes from ppl employed with the companies.
    Ive seen more shocking match ups on this 3rd roll out than ever and our discord page is full of disbelief. Hell i had better match ups when my 2mill ship gp was added .
  • Options
    indn0iiz2zbx.png
    kvjk01waysx8.png
    Who needs words? Just look at my current opponent compared to me...
  • saZam
    11 posts Member
    Options
    Someone has to come in last place haha :D
  • saZam
    11 posts Member
    Options
    In seriousness, I think the current match making favors people who go for a few characters (meta) and put all their resources into those meta characters. For instance in the screenshots above I can tell your GP is bloated due to all the characters you have unlocked compared to your competitor has significantly less characters unlocked but the ones he does he gears up to the top. It's all strategy. If you want to compete in PVP then put your resources into the META characters.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Sparkatus wrote: »
    indn0iiz2zbx.png
    kvjk01waysx8.png
    I see three rows of very highly geared and fully zeta'd characters. That is what close looks like.
    Still not a he.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Sparkatus wrote: »
    indn0iiz2zbx.png
    kvjk01waysx8.png
    I see three rows of very highly geared and fully zeta'd characters. That is what close looks like.

Interesting, because I see 3, possibly 4 meta teams that the top roster doesn't even appear to have (DR/Malak, Full Sep Droids (notice the g13 B1), Maxed Geos and a G12 Padme team - the zGK and zAhsoka). And 3 of the 4 teams have at least a 1 or 2 g13 character advantage as well. Not counting the g13 Bossk and Assaj.

I guess if you consider a 4 meta team advantage for one player over another in a mode that only uses 8 teams - as well as multiple g13 teams as "close", I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the meaning of the word "close".
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Interesting, because I see 3, possibly 4 meta teams that the top roster doesn't even appear to have (DR/Malak, Full Sep Droids (notice the g13 B1), Maxed Geos and a G12 Padme team - the zGK and zAhsoka). And 3 of the 4 teams have at least a 1 or 2 g13 character advantage as well. Not counting the g13 Bossk and Assaj.

I guess if you consider a 4 meta team advantage for one player over another in a mode that only uses 8 teams - as well as multiple g13 teams as "close", I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the meaning of the word "close".
    Matchmaking does not- and should not- care which toons.

Even so, from what's pictured, all the toons we see for Spark are powerful, useful, and relevant. They can put up a fight just fine.

This is not a case of, "This is an unfair match." It's a case of, "My opponent has some units I don't." Particularly Malak.

And considering the bottom of that screenshot sorted by power is a 6* G11, it doesn't look like what's below that mark continues at that level.
    Still not a he.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Matchmaking does not- and should not- care which toons.

Even so, from what's pictured, all the toons we see for Spark are powerful, useful, and relevant. They can put up a fight just fine.

This is not a case of, "This is an unfair match." It's a case of, "My opponent has some units I don't." Particularly Malak.

And considering the bottom of that screenshot sorted by power is a 6* G11, it doesn't look like what's below that mark continues at that level.

A few things:

1) "powerful, useful and relevant" does not mean the match will be close. Especially when his opponent has characters that are more powerful, more useful and several more meta (relevant) teams. In fact, I think most players would agree that, while Sparks might be able to accomplish a few feats or even clear a zone or two, realistically he has virtually no chance to win the match.

2) His opponent doesn't just have some units he doesn't have - he has many of them with zetas and gear levels - and entire synergistic, meta teams that Sparks doesn't have.

3) A 6* g11 - double zeta'd Malak is 20k+ power. Single zeta'd g12 heroes can be lower than that. I was just looking at a guildmates roster, and his g12 zZalbar and g12 zMission are both below his 6* g11 zzMalak. As are all of his g12 non-zeta'd characters (including nest, a full team of g12 Geos, etc.). So the bottom of the screenshot really doesn't tell us anything about what's below - except that there are no more double zeta'd characters left.

Incidentally, you're italicized emphasis on should not does not change the fact that that is simply your opinion. Again, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Because imho (and obviously Sparks' as well), this is a prime example of the problem with the MM algorithm, not a case to defend it.
    Post edited by Nikoms565 on
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Leipaveitsi
    6 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    YaeVizsla: "Matchmaking does not- and should not- care which toons."

I claim that the current matchmaking system cares which toons are in use. In the current ongoing GA tournament there are only two players who do not have JKR. These two players, myself and the other were put to a fight together (in the first round) so that we have at least one chance to win. And this same pattern has happened earlier.

There is a purpose for this kind of matchmaking algorithm and OldSchoolKiwi explained it earlier guite well in his comment.
  • Options
    I didn't think it would be needed. But this is what is below Malak. yw7sgjcocp14.png
    Although I think the point is made by the first two screenshots.
    Put it this way, if I told you I won this match you would be shocked (I most certainly didn't win). And that is because the matchmaking has matched two opponents that don't match. (To put it as simply as possible).
  • Options
    The current GA matchup is crap. I don’t care about if the numbers are the same if they have 40 zetas and I only have 25, it’s not a fair matchup. I don’t care how many 70,000 teams I have, they’ll never win against a 90,000 zetad team.
  • Options
    I agree with all of you. I hope cg and ea will find a solution. Even if i win 9/10 times, the Matchmaking is still terrible after almost one month of ga. All my matchmakings are way over 400k , with way more teams g12. I was lucky in most of them, because my opponent didn't know how to mod, or didn't play smart. My final matchup is currently 2.5 mil gp, i am 1.9...
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    AlexBallas wrote: »
    I agree with all of you. I hope cg and ea will find a solution. Even if i win 9/10 times, the Matchmaking is still terrible after almost one month of ga. All my matchmakings are way over 400k , with way more teams g12. I was lucky in most of them, because my opponent didn't know how to mod, or didn't play smart. My final matchup is currently 2.5 mil gp, i am 1.9...
    Or perhaps if you're still doing well, those matchups are much more reasonable than you're giving them credit for.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    I was about to make my own post about this.

Before the changes my 800k GP alt account won every single Grand arena, now after I've lost 2/3. Because I'm constantly matched up with 1.3+ million GP accounts. I have 3 very strong teams and very little fluff. So when I set to strong teams on defense and have one strong team for offense and maybe two very weak teams for offense, I have to be on point or I lose. Where as my opponent can throw 4-5 decent teams at my defense. This has become very frustrating to me, to the point that I don't even care to participate anymore.
    Discord; Darthtater04#2649
    ally code: 431243112
  • Options
    Seems to me that the old matchmaking was far too beneficial for people with focused rosters and the new one has taken it the other way to benefit people with broad rosters. I have a very broad roster (with most chars at 7* and all my unlocked chars at G7 at least) and I used to do horribly in GA's with some pretty woeful matchups Now though most of my matches are really even and competitive and I've had some great contests so to me the new matchmaking seems great. Admittedly though in the remaining matches that aren't particularly competitive I'm generally the one with the advantage.

In the end I guess someone will always be unhappy, hopefully there's a way for the middle ground to be found.
  • Options
    Easy, the solution is to allow players to decide which characters they would like to enter into the championship before player lock. Then let the old matchmaking do its thing based on GP.

This would keep everybody happy. Those with wide rosters ("I can't un-level my characters") will be able to simply not enter their unwanted toons into the tournament and get matched against someone who chose an equal GP. Those with focussed rosters will be able to play against similar players without having to worry about an extra 100 g9-g10 toons that haven't even been counted in the matchmaking.

Boom! Problem solved!
  • Options
    Sparkatus, I really like your suggestion. It removes the concentrated vs. wide roster problem. Unfortunately I see that there are still one serious problem left and that is meta-squads / toons. I give to you one example. With your "free to select Arena roster" system some person who have e.g. JKR and DR will select those and two other good squads for the Arena event. Then in the event round this gamer will be absolutely superior against for those who don't have these meta teams. I am currently in this same situation when I don't have JKR and I will be constantly put in the event groups against for those who have it.
  • Options
    Yeah good point. I had never hoped to make meta teams a point of matchmaking as there has to be some incentive to farm the meta teams. But if you're pointing out that high end players with a top end team could choose a very small amount of characters to be paired against a weaker non-meta-having player, then that is a valid issue that I hadn't considered. Maybe that could be addressed with the reward tier structure? Remove the incentive to reduce ones GP with higher rewards for higher tiers.