Why is Chimaera absent from my Fleet Arena shard and does this mean I shouldn't develop it?

Hoping someone can give some insight into something that's been puzzling me.

I recently unlocked Chimaera and without upgrading it at all it's already on a par with Executrix in terms of power. All the stuff I've read on the forums suggests Chimaera is one of the strongest Capital Ships (pre Negotiator or Malevolence).

Yet the Top 50 Fleet Arena teams in my shard all use Executrix, Home One or Endurance. Endurance is probably the most popular, yet I've read elsewhere that it's garbage and have found Mace's Fleet Challenges much tougher to beat than the others.

Shard is about 6 months old.

I've got to Top 65 using Home One leading with Biggs, Ghost and Phantom. I've tried Chimaera out and won some, lost some. Looking at the top teams, doesn't seem to matter which Capital ship you have so long as you use Umbaran and Hound's Tooth.

So do I put resource into Chimaera or not? Will it become meta in my shard later on or is most of the advice out there irrelevant?

Replies

• Options
    I’m guessing not everyone in your shard has it. I use it and I say it’s the only reason I ever get top 200. Its the best ship pre-negotiator etc if you don’t have Han’s Falcon.
    I have a bad feeling about this.
  • Smidday
    134 posts Member
    Options
    I would go for Chimera, its my best Capital Ship with Instant Kill, it easily wipes out Endurance, can struggle against some Home One teams depending on the line up. Thrawns a solid character too, compared to Mace and Akbar.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Chimaera requires Rebel ships to acquire and isn't meta. Ship upgrade materials are valuable resources, especially capital ship prestige so it is unwise to attempt to upgrade multiple capital ships simultaneously or to upgrade one unnecessarily. Many people are likely skipping Chimaera these days.
  • Options
    This person is playing in a 6 month old shard. Chimaera is the meta for them. I don’t think anyone has the Negotiator or Malevolence in their shard. So I’d say go for Chimaera. If you CAN, then go for GR or Malevolence, but judging what you’ve said I don’t think that’ll happen soon. So go for the Chimaera.
  • V01D
    117 posts Member
    Options
    I would definitely go for upgrading your Chimaera now. Once the Tie-Bomber becomes farmable I think we'll see rebel fleets disappear as the bomber is a very hard counter towards rebels.
  • Options
    I was using the executrix for a while. I recently switched to chimera. It's much better than executrix for me even though it's down a star and thrawn has less gear than tarkin(trying to rectify that asap). I'm able to take number one with it in my shard with it(also a young shard)

However, my strongest ships are dark side. Imperial tie fighter and tie advanced are my two strongest ships behind HT. So I have synergy there. If your strongest ships are rebels, I would advise sticking with home1. And start working towards adding bistan or HMF to your starting lineup(preferably both) . unless you start seeing a bunch of the new tie bombers. They look like they will neuter the rebel fleets.
  • Options
    Well with the current trajectory I'd say stick with Chimaera. If the TIE Bomber lives up to the hype rebel fleets will get murked.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Chimaera has its uses outside of fleet arena. It's required foraa special mission in Hoth TB, and does well in fleet combat missions in Geonosis TB. Building it will not be wasted.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. Think I'll play around with Chimaera more before upgrading. Empire are my second strongest squad, so Imperial Tie and Tie Advanced are pretty much as strong as my Rebel ships. Home One is actually much less powerful than Executrix or Chimaera, but the assist-to-gain-protection strategy just works with the ships I have. I began with Executrix, but after a while his special wasn't ending the battle anymore.

I agree, Tie Bomber will really plug a gap in Imperial fleet. Definitely farm it and see how it goes.

Incidentally, what is the strategy for Chimaera?

• Hortus
    627 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    BruceCrunk wrote: »

Incidentally, what is the strategy for Chimaera?

As rule of thumb - always use first special when available, survive until ultimate is ready. Using basic (usually you will want to call Vader with it) and AOE special is really depends on your fleet composition and current situation on the field.
  • Mephisto_style
    5724 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I would not allow you in my guild without Chimaera.
    and this is why
    Waqui wrote: »
    Chimaera has its uses outside of fleet arena. It's required foraa special mission in Hoth TB, and does well in fleet combat missions in Geonosis TB. Building it will not be wasted.

• Options
    It's a very good capital ship. You should be able to dominate your shard if you have the only Chimaera and there are no Negotiators or Malevolence on your shard.
  • Options
    For those who might be interested, took the TIE Bomber out on its first few runs today and it was devastating. Going to miss 5* on the galactic chase unfortunately, but even at 4* (L85, maxed abilities) it hits harder than its 25k power suggests. If you max out third ability, Rebels can't attack out of turn while burning which undermines Home One's strategy completely (against AI especially).

Time to upgrade that Chimaera