Kylo Ren vs Dooku?

I'm looking to replace my Dooku as he's fallen far behind the rest of my team as Lumi and Sid near 7* and Daka 4*. I also use Maul, but compared to Dooku he still has plenty of fighting power.

6* Sid
6* Lumi
4* Daka (2 shards off 5*)
4* Maul
4* Dooku

So would Kylo Ren be a suitable replacement? He's much easier to star up, I've just about unlocked him, sitting on 74/80 shards and I'll likely have him at 6* before Dooku hits 5*. Or anyone else other than Kylo? Soon I will be free to spend shards in Arena Shipments on someone else so would any of them be better?

Replies

• Options
    I like him a lot he really spikes in dmg at half health so in a group with good healing he is better then maul
  • Options
    Kylo is a fine choice. A bit weak early on, but his high HP pool, revenge-themed abilities that actually sort of counter Dooku (pull a counter with AoE, take damage below half without suffering the Jedi ability block debuff, use the single target active for huge damage and wipe him in one shot, crit or not) and ability to somewhat reliably heal block make him a good addition to an attacker-and-support heavy team. Essentially allows you to burst down crucial targets in one or two rounds for him, depending on if you crit, as well as the focused target's level of survivability (HP, resists, dodge, self-heal/regen procs) and even without needing the double damage bonus for low health.

In summation, go for it. :) Even if he's not crazy broken compared to some heroes in certain comps, he's extremely fun to play as. Especially if you plan on including a Vader in there sometime, despite his lack of ability to progress in ranks. Still pretty great base HP and utility at high levels and gear loadout. Not bad basic attack damage either, with an extremely useful ability block (helps keep Dooku stuns and Sidious or other AoE off your healers.)
    "Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"
  • Options
    Hurricane wrote: »
    I like him a lot he really spikes in dmg at half health so in a group with good healing he is better then maul

Same just unlocked cantina spot to farm his shards. I've gotten over 6k crits with him and the heal debuff is nice along with sids

• Pure_Pazaak
    386 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Although, honestly, he's pretty interchangeable with either Dooku or Maul. Obviously both are squishy, but Dooku at least has a bit of staying power on defense with a chance to stun and potentially ability block as well. Unless you change your party to a more defensive composition on your last battle, Maul will get focused pretty darn easily on a team with no tank/Old Ben or anyone who can reliably force the enemy to change their priority targets via a powerful buff or debuff.

This being said, I do acknowledge defense is almost worthless without pulling a character that's usually only available by paying a lot to attain and then rank up, like Leia and Old Ben. Just saying it's worth considering, even if you plan to put building up Dooku to the side. Maul will almost guaranteed never get to 5 star or higher with the game as it is now. Might as well stun some of those annoying healers, like Luminara and Daka.
    "Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Funny as I was about to say they are very different characters and not really replaceable in most respects. Dooku has a stun, fast speed, low health, a reliable counter, and special abilities against Jedi. Kylo is slower, has an AoE, doesn't stun, has high health and special reset mechanisms. In some ways he's more like Sidious or Asajj than Dooku.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Kylo is like the dooku counter character
  • Options
    Speaking of Kylo, I didn't receive my free shard today - anyone else?
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    No. Figured it was over. :(
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Options
    Kylo, Dooku is just too frail for the latter stages of the game.
  • Options
    I hate my kylo ren. He is 51 neon blue background.and he is rubbish. I know his counter attacks but dooku is much more stronger. His 1st ability is very weak.dooku hits hard shcoks hard everytime.
  • Options
    The thing about Kylo is the healing debuff. With Sid not being a reliable debuffer, sometimes 2 is better than 1.
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Options
    PyroRen wrote: »
    I hate my kylo ren. He is 51 neon blue background.and he is rubbish. I know his counter attacks but dooku is much more stronger. His 1st ability is very weak.dooku hits hard shcoks hard everytime.

What in the world are you talking about??????
    Dooku hits like a girl. His crits are not even as strong as kylo's base damage lol (end of story) while kylo is solid damage, great health, a nice AOE prompting his counter, healing block, and when belie 50% health can 1-shot most charcters that are not tanks or bariss.........

• Options

With 7 stars?
  • Options
    I'm very interested in Kylo. I'm gearing and leveling him little by little and it's kind of exciting to have a farmable character that has the tools he does. While he might not be the best or close to it, I bet he is a game changer with the right squad.
  • Options
    PyroRen wrote: »

You obviously need to level him up in every aspect, you can't just have a lvl 51 basic character and expect him to be a Superman. My Ren is lvl 54, 1 away from gear 7, and his attacks/abilities are lvl 4/4/4/5. He SMASHES. I love him. I throw him in with Poggle every time, that offense boost is incredible when used at the right times. Along with Poggle I use him with Vader, Sid, and Phasma. That's not for GW though. Just missions and 75% of PVP.
    "...Welcome the Dark Side..." lvl 57, Ally Code: 695-189-436
  • Options
    TheVinegru wrote: »

With 7 stars?

I have him 4 stars his shards are too difficult to farm but I imagine a Kylo 7 star is still better then a Dooku 7 star, Kylo just lasts longer & can take more hits, As opposed to dooku once a glass cannon always a glass cannon whether hes starred to 3 or starred to 7 his health will be low when compared to literally every other 7 star.

• Time
    293 posts Member
    Options
    Dookus health is on par with other attackers. His dps is as well. Sure his hits are weak, but he makes up with volume. His hinderance is his slow shard farming as a lot of people with 6-7 star sids lumis etc have 4-5* Dookus. Fully geared 5* Dooku will out damage a 6* fully geared lumi (on average). I'd still take kylo over Dooku if for no other reason then he is easier to farm.
  • Options
    Although, honestly, he's pretty interchangeable with either Dooku or Maul. Obviously both are squishy, but Dooku at least has a bit of staying power on defense with a chance to stun and potentially ability block as well. Unless you change your party to a more defensive composition on your last battle, Maul will get focused pretty darn easily on a team with no tank/Old Ben or anyone who can reliably force the enemy to change their priority targets via a powerful buff or debuff.

This being said, I do acknowledge defense is almost worthless without pulling a character that's usually only available by paying a lot to attain and then rank up, like Leia and Old Ben. Just saying it's worth considering, even if you plan to put building up Dooku to the side. Maul will almost guaranteed never get to 5 star or higher with the game as it is now. Might as well stun some of those annoying healers, like Luminara and Daka.

If we could pick our defense team separate from my offense I would completely do this :) and may still do it on my 5th battle to keep a stronger defense till chances are back.

Thanks for the suggestions all :) still gearing him up, currently gear 6 and has 2 slots filled, 3 more and he'll be equally geared compared to Dooku. So far his attack power exceeds Dookus and has 3k more hp, which is a hefty boost. His default attack hits slightly harder than Dookus, although Dooku can double attack, his aoe is stronger than his default but weaker than Dookus lightning and double attack. His third skill however is stronger than a crit on lightning, without critting and being below 50% hp. So it more than makes up for the dps Dooku gains on him. Plus with his passive he can use his third skill more often than Dooku is he is attacked.

Also Kylo still needs a but more gear to compare equally and all of it adds a lot to his sttack, and also need skill ups. With those I think the dmg advantage Dooku has on his first two skills compared to Kylo's first two will shirk considerably. Not to mention his third skill. Still yet to put him in the area, may wait till gear 7 just to get the most out of him.
  • Options
    Yeah my plan is to keep Dooku in until I get Kylo up or possibly Ventress. Dooku usually brings a lot of utility with his stuns, counters, and double attacks so he's worth more to me than his 4* would suggest.

As we see fewer and fewer Jedi teams though, Dooku will be worth less and less.
  • Cythis
    273 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Kylos Outrage is money when it gets reset every turn (Stupid AI) even with out the 75% increase.

Dooku is just solid, attacks first most times, stun and counter. Dooku I find more situational against Jedi teams while Kylo is a lot more diverse.
  • Options
    I have a 6* kylo gear VII. He sits the bench. Maybe once I get the first order officer to 5* ill bring kylo out of retirement.
    With that said, agreeing with whipit, i think kylo could be magic on the right team. Specifically an AoE team like Whipits.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • Options
    I currently have a 4* dooku ( is saved up my ally tokens and then spent them and got 3* dooku and then another 22 shards next card) and i am farming kylo ran from cantina but I ALWAYS USE DOOKU. but to be honest on defense kylo is much more of a threat until you get to the higher levels ( level 68 and above). because by then a good amount of people have dooku 5-6* by then at least for me. but before that 3-4* dookus are just annoying and easily finished when stunned. where as kylo doesn't revolve around being able to counter and is more versatile but I still would prefer an equally stared and geared dooku to kylo as he just keeps on hitting and stunning
  • Options
    Dooku is relevant if your shard has a lot of jedi
    New shards tend to have lotsa Jedi

U need him at max gear so he is top speed.

On offense he is fine even at 4 star. on defense not so much.

Think of it as a coin toss against a jedi composition.

If u stun 2 Jedis u win. ;)

QGJ Lumi Yoda is fairly common now.

Kylo is a strong toon of cos

• Options
    It really depends. I tend to find Kylo lasts longer, but gets hit more often in fights, so unless you run a healing member, he gets one good high damage and then lights out. Dooku hit's a bit weaker, but the fact he can get I believe up to 4 attacks is pretty **** in it's own right.
  • Options
    In movies I think Dooku would've pawned Kylo. Yoda was no match for Dooku, then again Anakin beat Dooku, became Vader, then diluted his metachlirians twice with non-Jedi... Padmae and Han Solo... So Kylo has 1/4 the metachlorians than Vader. I think Dooku at his best easily would take 1/4 of Vader
  • Options
    I think Dooku has better AI than Kylo. It always seems to me that when I face teams with Dooku I always end up 4v1 saving him for last. Unless he starts off stupid and tries to go for GS or Poggle on the first turn rather than always stunning my QGJ and Lumi on his first attack. BUT if I get him to 4v1 he ALWAYS seems to get 4 attacks in a row every time I attack. It is like he turns into DS 5-A Chewie and just goes ****. Kylo I don't even worry about if I see him. Kind of throw him in the same boat as Maul and Sid. I know I can kill him without him really doing damage to me. Dooku is a crap shoot. You can either one hit him right from the get go, or you have to put up with the random stuns and multiple attacks.
  • Salgado9
    529 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Funny as I was about to say they are very different characters and not really replaceable in most respects. Dooku has a stun, fast speed, low health, a reliable counter, and special abilities against Jedi. Kylo is slower, has an AoE, doesn't stun, has high health and special reset mechanisms. In some ways he's more like Sidious or Asajj than Dooku.

Yeah I Think Kylo is simply a better Sidious... After a while sids healing immunity starts to be resisted a lot due to no pitency. Kylo has more helath, a counter, AoE, decent basic, great potential damage when near low health. Kylo is great. I maxed him out and im currently farming Dooku in cantina. You don't need two healers honestly, not in PvP. You dont even need one, ive been running no healer and I'm usually in 100-50 area, and usually can enter top 50. Maybe try something without Sid or daka. We all know how great Lumi is, so you can keep her. But switch some stuff up, but you're lucky you have Maul, I want to obtain him, i have 1 shard.... Lmao
  • Options
    In movies I think Dooku would've pawned Kylo. Yoda was no match for Dooku, then again Anakin beat Dooku, became Vader, then diluted his metachlirians twice with non-Jedi... Padmae and Han Solo... So Kylo has 1/4 the metachlorians than Vader. I think Dooku at his best easily would take 1/4 of Vader

In what world was Yoda no match for Dooku? Yoda was winning, so Dooku knocked down that support so that Yoda would save Anakin and Obi-Wan, allowing him time to flee.
  • Luke6108
    370 posts Member
    Options
    Both are great toons but in Arena I prefer using douku in a speed DPS team. I have a higher power Kylo sitting on the bench. Douku has a speed of 161 while Kylo is less than 120 I think. Douku is the first to move and stun QGJ or Lumi, making the game 5v4. He has 100% counter attack chance and when I place him in a team of QGJ,GS, he is often called to assist and gains turn meter. The problem with him is that he is difficult to farm until Level 69. Kylo, on the other hand, shines in GW. He has a high chance to reset his cooldown and deals with high damage over and over again. He has a decent health pool and with Poggle, he is a beast. He has great potential but we really need to star and gear him up. The problem with him is his speed and he should fit better in an AOE team.