Auto Set should be Auto Lose

CrysSyling
41 posts Member
edited September 2021
I had a situation in GAC in which started to set my D and got distracted and never finished. I ended up setting a mostly empty D. My opponent didn't set any D. He got an autoset D. And so because I tried to set D but didn't finish, my opponent is going to win.

How is that fair?

I tried and couldn't finish due to some real life issues. He or She didn't try at all.

Simply put. If you autoset, you should loss. And if both autoset, you both should lose. No more of the "higher GP wins" when you autoset. Autoset should be 0 banners always

Just to reinforce my point - autoset should not be rewarded at all. No one should win an autoset D. Autoset should be an automatic loss. Obviously there should be some punishment for not setting a full defense. but losing to someone who didn't even try shouldn't be the outcome
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Options
    Wouldn't that just disadvantage everyone trying for feats when they run up against what would have been an auto set D, though?
  • Options
    not proposing a change where you can't battle an autoset team. Just saying that autoset should not get a win
  • Options
    CrysSyling wrote: »
    I had a situation in GAC in which started to set my D and got distracted and never finished. I ended up setting a mostly empty D. My opponent didn't set any D. He got an autoset D. And so because I tried to set D but didn't finish, my opponent is going to win.

How is that fair?

I tried and couldn't finish due to some real life issues. He or She didn't try at all.

Simply put. If you autoset, you should loss. And if both autoset, you both should lose. No more of the "higher GP wins" when you autoset. Autoset should be 0 banners always

Just to reinforce my point - autoset should not be rewarded at all. No one should win an autoset D. Autoset should be an automatic loss. Obviously there should be some punishment for not setting a full defense. but losing to someone who didn't even try shouldn't be the outcome

You can't just make both people lose if both autoset. That's not how it works. Someone needs to advance in order to make the GAC event progress. You don't need to be angry at the game just because YOU didn't manage to set defenses in time. Of course real life happens and you can get distracted, but you have 24 hours to set it, and if you're not a hyper-competitive player it shouldn't take you more than like 10 minutes. That should be doable for almost everyone, even if you are very busy.

On a sidenote though, I think it would be more fair to make the autoset feature set a player's weakest characters on defense rather than their strongest. That way they get punished for it more, and the person that actually wants to play and do feats gets punished less. It's usually very hard to do feats when when someone autosets and people that don't care about the mode shouldn't be in the way of people that do like to play it.
  • Options
    You set half a defense and are upset about losing? If real life issues stop you from setting d in 24h just take the L and set d next time. If you have irl issues that stop you from setting full defenses every time then we’ll, gg I suppose, and gl with everything
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    CrysSyling wrote: »
    I had a situation in GAC in which started to set my D and got distracted and never finished. I ended up setting a mostly empty D. My opponent didn't set any D. He got an autoset D. And so because I tried to set D but didn't finish, my opponent is going to win

Hm, just realized that gac consists only ot defense phase. So whoever set more defense will get auto win.
    Thanks for the insight OP.

• Options
    This is a very odd complaint. OP got distracted over a period of 24 hours and didn't set a proper defence. And is now complaining that his opponent didn't set a proper defence.
    🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    AlexanderG wrote: »
    This is a very odd complaint. OP got distracted over a period of 24 hours and didn't set a proper defence. And is now complaining that his opponent didn't set a proper defence.
    🤷‍♂️

Although the complaint about auto-set defences is valid, I couldn't get a full clear against one today which could affect kyber later on.
  • Options
    If you saw that they were autoset, why didn't you clear one team to win? Obviously they didn't care and weren't going to attack. This is a non-issue.
  • Options
    2 options come to mind, but I’m sure both are too difficult to implement.

1. Upon joining, players have to set a defense. Can’t join until you do. Then during the “set defense” stage players are able to edit their defense if they choose to based on their opponent. Editing is enabled until the end of the defense period. This way there is no auto-deploy - if the player never edits their defense then the pre-set defense remains in place. It also allows for fixing errors made while setting defense.

Or

2. A player has to have set a defense in order to play offense. No defense set = locked out from offense stage.
    Meanwhile if a player doesn’t set defense, their opponent instead faces a standard Defense made of AI units. So anyone facing a non-deployed in a given division would face the same defense. They can work on feats and on clearing to earn points while the non-deployed gets no points.
  • Options
    If you saw that they were autoset, why didn't you clear one team to win? Obviously they didn't care and weren't going to attack. This is a non-issue.
    Because the OP only set a partial defence, the opponent had more points than them. Indeed, the opponent will have been given full banner clears for each empty zone, so it will likely have been impossible for the OP to win
  • Options
    I think the autoset defence could be fine tuned.

- If someone sets partial defence, I really don't see any reason why the empty slots couldn't be filled using the same algorithm that autosets on an empty board
    - Completely disagree that autoset should use the weakest characters in someone's roster. That means they'd have all their best toons available for offence.
    - Having said that, I can see a hybrid system being best, where the leader for each squad is from the bottom of the roster but the other slots are filled from the top

I just had to clear my opponents full autoset (Div 1 so that's 11 ground teams). Lucky for me I checked their history and had correctly guessed this was likely so adjusted my defence accordingly. Highly unlikely I'd have full cleared if I set my usual defence.
  • Options
    Because the OP only set a partial defence, the opponent had more points than them. Indeed, the opponent will have been given full banner clears for each empty zone, so it will likely have been impossible for the OP to win

If the enemy auto deploy on defense, then he/she will use what for offense, since all his/her strongest toons are deployed?

And if OP forgot to set some defense teams, that means he got more teams to attack with, right? So which part makes it impossible for him to win?

Well, unless he put defense in only one zone 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Options
    LynxVJ wrote: »

If the enemy auto deploy on defense, then he/she will use what for offense, since all his/her strongest toons are deployed?

And if OP forgot to set some defense teams, that means he got more teams to attack with, right? So which part makes it impossible for him to win?

this

and the OP gets more banners on clearing a field with fights than the opponent will get by getting a free field.
    The OP should be lucky that his opponent did auto-supply ... now he has a chance ... without auto-deploy the chance of losing the battle will be much greater.
  • Options
    would like to see a screenshot after the fight ;)
  • Options

If you read the OP, he clearly states he didn't set full defence. I don't know how many teams he did set, but it's safe to assume he didn't set teams in all zones.

As for the opponent's offence, I don't think you understand how things work when someone sets a partial defence. Let's say I only set ships and the bottom rear territory, leaving the front zones blank. The opponent will be given the points for clearing those zones (240 for each in division 1, for example) AND they are given a full 64 banner win for each empty slot in those zones.

I don't know what division the OP is in, but if this scenario happened in division 1, the opponent would have 1190 from the autoset defence, plus 2x240 for zone clears, plus 8x64 full banner wins. This would put the opponent on 2182. The OP would only have 470 banners from setting teams in rear zones. If they got 64 banner wins on all 11 ground teams and 2x65 banner wins for ships, they'd have 2180 points.
  • Options
    kiar1404 wrote: »

this

and the OP gets more banners on clearing a field with fights than the opponent will get by getting a free field.
    The OP should be lucky that his opponent did auto-supply ... now he has a chance ... without auto-deploy the chance of losing the battle will be much greater.

This isn't true. The opponent gets 64 banner wins for all empty slots in a free field. It is literally impossible to score better than that.