GA expierience

Just wanted to ask and talk about what you all think of the new grand arena system? I noticed that all my opponents place some light/bad stuff on defense and keep everything for offense which just gets me a full clear in like 20mins. So imo since the changes all GAs on both of my accs were pretty boring. What did you notice?

Replies

• Options
    My experience is rampant cheaters getting easy crystals
  • Options
    My experience is that you set middling-weak defenses in toons so you can full clear your opponent, set exec and any other C tier fleet on defense, and whoever gets better RNG with their Exec counter wins. Literally all of my matches have been decided by the Exec holding or taking more than 1 attack to clear.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Tom361 wrote: »
    Just wanted to ask and talk about what you all think of the new grand arena system? I noticed that all my opponents place some light/bad stuff on defense and keep everything for offense which just gets me a full clear in like 20mins. So imo since the changes all GAs on both of my accs were pretty boring. What did you notice?

I have the exact opposite experience--My opponents set up the Iron Curtain plus the Maginot Line plus Fort Knox on defense. My roster is in that awkward phase when you're trying to grow a beard where you don't look distinguished yet, you just look all scraggly and messy. Which is to say that I have enough teams to put together a solid offense, but setting any sort of "real" defense means I can't full clear, so I have to put down trash and hope for a hold or two to offset their undersize bonuses.

But also I'm still at the point where I'm being matched up against with people who somehow have 45 Galactic Legends so against those I just do the one attack for credit and then go read a book.

EDIT: I should also say that I get a surprising amount of holds from people getting greedy. That's allowed me to win some matches that I shouldn't have on paper.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    All my rounds have been very competitive except one where the opponent just did an auto D.
  • Options
    I’ve seen about 33% people being stupid and putting everything on defense. (I had a 3.2m GP opponent that took multiple attempts on a 50k Thrawn team and ended up with less than 100 points while I almost full cleared them), 33% people who put down a weak defense and then loose because they can’t be efficient, and 34% complete mismatches.
    3v3 FTW
  • Options
    Well I have gone from similar rosters, that used the top 100 character GP or whatever,
    To now having 2 Gl's myself and facing people with 4 or 5, all because I won the first few GA brackets. Even if they don't put 3 on defense, they can just solo a lot of teams on offense with them and get huge banners. I only beat one person who did this on offense due to them failing the executor rng counter.

It has **** the fun out of GAC now and with that the crystal generation
  • Options
    My experience is that you set middling-weak defenses in toons so you can full clear your opponent, set exec and any other C tier fleet on defense, and whoever gets better RNG with their Exec counter wins. Literally all of my matches have been decided by the Exec holding or taking more than 1 attack to clear.

Or you could use your executor on offence and remove the rng element?

74 banners for an executor win mirror match
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    My experience is rampant cheaters getting easy crystals

Your statement is supported by this discussion:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/252691/account-excluded
  • Options
    All my rounds have been very competitive except one where the opponent just did an auto D.
    I am also having fun on GA. Sometimes opponent does the "Iron Curtain", others it deploys light on defense. Frequent that the back lines have some type of surprise that requires saving some stuff...changes from game to game.
    Lost to worse lineups, won to better ones...skill (i.e. game knowledge) does matter now.

I am thinking more and losing to better players and punishing mistakes from others. I seesaw in rank...sometimes i am in last 4 and am demoted, others i am promoted :)

Match ending now had one galactic legend player (but with low GP)...i got to the final match (2 wins) and he did not, so my PRESENT opponent beat him in the way...wary on what the trick will be, as the front lines seem weak...
    (Loving it...the stress is real now :) )
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    I have the exact opposite experience--My opponents set up the Iron Curtain plus the Maginot Line plus Fort Knox on defense.

Sounds like what I do. :D
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • WD_40
    113 posts Member
    Options
    I have had a mostly positive experience, nothing bad to say so far. I will say though it is interesting after winning several in a row to be matched with an opponent who could easily beat me if they wanted to (I certainly could beat my roster with their roster) but just don't employ enough/any strategy.

E.g. i don't have a GL yet (should unlock SEE tonight!) and faced an opponent with an SLKR, but they didn't place SLKR on defense, so I put a heavy defense down, AND full cleared my opponent. I've always enjoyed the strategy of GAC, so it's a little eye-opening to be matched with people that genuinely don't care about it at all, even with much improved rewards.
  • Options
    Experienced players never set the same defense over and over. You have to vary with your defense based on your opponent. Study your opponent history and find his weaknesses.

That's btw. my experience with the new GAC format. It's much more time consuming than before. The amount of time invested preparing for my opponents has increased exponentially since the third round (and will probably getting worse moving forward). So yes, ultimately everyone has to make the decision on the competition-life-balance.

Especially if you finish with 12:0 this season ;)
  • Options
    I went from having a very GP efficient roster with a perfect win streak the last few GAC to now being put into the kyber 1 and matched against a lot of maxed out accounts. So my win streak is out the window but it’s actually more fun when I beat people who should be outclassing me. Before I felt the pressure to have to get 12-0, it started to feel like a chore. And running into people just trying to sabotage you by setting max defense without attacking felt very unfair when it came to total end rewards based on points instead of wins.
    I’ve only run into 1 cheater so far, which isn’t fun but it’s within the limits to not really bothering me.
    And best of all, no more 3v3!
    This change gets a perfect 5 out of 7.
  • WD_40
    113 posts Member
    Options
    And best of all, no more 3v3!
    No 3v3, yet, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back in April, since that would give the system time to settle in and would be a regularly scheduled 3v3 season
  • TVF
    36643 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah "no more 3v3" is temporary.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Temporary has a tendency to become permanent :smiley:
  • Options
    LordDirt wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    I have the exact opposite experience--My opponents set up the Iron Curtain plus the Maginot Line plus Fort Knox on defense.

Sounds like what I do. :D

It’s what I’d like to do—it’s just that I worked on offense teams first and now have to work on defense teams. I’m up against the people who already did all that.

Back before the new GAC reward format I’d get annoyed because who cares, right? Lol! Just let me do feats, sheesh! But now it matters so I don’t get annoyed—it makes sense.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Bad matchmaking, cheating, and if it is a good match executor is the deciding factor. It is all very boring.