CG / EA Please stop posting big blocks of white background

Dear CG / EA, for those of us with eye problems or neurological issues, can you please stop posting images of black text on large white backgrounds? It's very hard to see and it really, really hurts our eyes and head. We can't even use text-to-speech reliably because they are images. System dark mode doesn't work because they are images. (I am posting on behalf of myself and a group of folks like me in my community of ~300 SWGoH players)

Thank you

Replies

• CG_Tusken_Meathead
    374 posts EA Community Manager
    Options
    Does this help at all? What color schemes are best? Ill try to remember this for next time

2ymth8dnwzl3.png
    05yyhxha29r2.png
    aw17j5jc542f.png
    gqqylu9vrhs1.png
  • CG_Tusken_Meathead
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure what the best way to display it would be for Text-to-speech, but here is a complete word dump of my document.
    Event Start Date
    OMEGA
    Nightsisters and Jawas Dates: 01/30/2023
    Rebels and Geonosians Dates: 01/02/2023
    Resistance and Clones Dates: 01/06/2023
    Ewoks and Empire Dates: 01/09/2023
    First Order and Scoundrels Dates: 01/13/2023
    Jedi and Tusken Dates: 01/16/2023
    Sith and Droids Dates: 01/23/2023

ASSAULT BATTLES
    Fanatical Devotion Dates: 01/04/2023
    Forest Moon Dates: 01/07/2023
    Secrets and Shadows Dates: 01/11/2023
    Military Might Dates: 01/14/2023
    Rebel Round-Up Dates: 01/18/2023
    Ground War Dates: 01/21/2023
    Places of Power Dates: 01/28/2023

MYTHIC EVENTS
    The Artist of War Mythic Event Dates: 01/07/2023

FLEET MASTERY
    Raddus X2 Dates: 01/08/2023, 01/17/2023
    Finalizer X2 Dates: 01/10/2023, 01/23/2023
    Home One Dates: 01/01/2023
    Executor Date: 01/15/2023
    Executrix Dates: 01/19/2023
    Endurance Dates: 01/25/2023
    Profundity Date: 01/31/2023

TERRITORY BATTLES
    Rebel Assault Dates: 01/23/2023
    Republic Offensive Dates: 01/23/2023
    Imperial Retaliation Dates: 01/09/2023
    Separatist Might Dates: 01/09/2023
    Rise of the Empire Dates: 01/09/2023, Dates: 01/23/2023

TERRITORY WARS
    War 254 Attack Date: 01/07/2023
    War 255 Attack Date: 01/17/2023
    War 256 Attack Date: 01/21/2023
    War 257 Attack Date: 01/31/2023
    War 258 Attack Date: 02/04/2023

GRAND ARENA CHAMPIONSHIPS

Week 1 3v3 + Fleet Join 01/02/2023
    Week 2 3v3 + Fleet Join 01/09/2023
    Week 3 3v3 + Fleet Join 01/16/2023

Heroic Events
    Ghosts of Dathomir Dates: 01/24/2023
    Endor Escalation Dates: 01/05/2023
    Defense of Dathomir Dates: 01/29/2023
  • Options
    This website supports BBCode for posts, so you just use that to create a table to show everything with the easy-on-the-eyes dark blue of the website as the background.

https://www.bbcode.org/making-a-table-with-bbcode.php

Here is a link for how to construct tables and what it will look like.
  • CG_Tusken_Meathead
    Options
    Gale_Toral wrote: »
    This website supports BBCode for posts, so you just use that to create a table to show everything with the easy-on-the-eyes dark blue of the website as the background.

I spent the last 20 minutes trying to find a Excel to BBCode converter and nothing seems to work, the bbcode doesn't upload properly on this site.
  • Ultra
    11514 posts Moderator
    Options
    Does this help at all? What color schemes are best? Ill try to remember this for next time

2ymth8dnwzl3.png
    05yyhxha29r2.png
    aw17j5jc542f.png
    gqqylu9vrhs1.png

Make every other 5th row, Red
  • yolkywareagle
    1016 posts Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

And be sure to throw in some yellow highlighted in white. Maybe pink highlighted in red if it can be managed.
    Ultra wrote: »

2ymth8dnwzl3.png
    05yyhxha29r2.png
    aw17j5jc542f.png
    gqqylu9vrhs1.png

Make every other 5th row, Red

• Ultra
    11514 posts Moderator
    Options
    just list the events but don't provide the dates

Leave some excitement every midnight at reset time for the players
  • Options

2ymth8dnwzl3.png
    05yyhxha29r2.png
    aw17j5jc542f.png
    gqqylu9vrhs1.png

Thank you so much for this! Even this is 1000 times better than the original post images.

Your raw dump is great for screen readers, thank you as well!

Best colors are greys and greens, followed by browns and dark purples.

Here is a doctor's paper on it (there are many others like it, like from National Headache Institute), but ironically the page defaults to black text on white background. My browser forces it into dark scheme for me.

https://www.nyheadache.com/blog/color-of-the-ambient-light-can-help-or-worsen-migraines/#:~:text=White, blue, and red lights,or absence of light sensitivity.

Thank you again for helping us to be able to read what you're posting!
  • Options
    Also I want to say, on behalf of folks who have similar conditions like me, I appreciate the humor from folks like Ultra trying to make light of it. But for those who don't know, some color schemes -- whether default black text on white background, or even certain strobes from car headlights -- can trigger a crippling headache so bad that I can't get out of bed and I want to drill a hole through my brain to stop the pain that can last for days, a condition I've had for decades and has gotten worse every year. And I'm not alone in that. If you look it up, this is particularly common across office workers and military personnel as well, it's not rare, and it's not limited by demographic.

Thank you for taking us seriously, helping us read what you write without crippling pain, and making us feel included in this community.
  • Options
    MKIceman wrote: »
    Also I want to say, on behalf of folks who have similar conditions like me, I appreciate the humor from folks like Ultra trying to make light of it. But for those who don't know, some color schemes -- whether default black text on white background, or even certain strobes from car headlights -- can trigger a crippling headache so bad that I can't get out of bed and I want to drill a hole through my brain to stop the pain that can last for days, a condition I've had for decades and has gotten worse every year. And I'm not alone in that. If you look it up, this is particularly common across office workers and military personnel as well, it's not rare, and it's not limited by demographic.

Thank you for taking us seriously, helping us read what you write without crippling pain, and making us feel included in this community.

Ultra was making a Red 5 joke, she was not joking about your condition, FYI.
  • Options

How's the iron levels in your body? Some people naturally produce a lot of iron and excess iron from foods can also make you sensitive to triggers. Stay away from chocolate and cheese. Circulation around the brain is important, since going on aspirin (the best blood thinner) I've reduced my migraines from 4 days a week to once every 7 months or so, and I'm less sensitive to light (this is a big one, especially bright lights or camera flashes), smell, colors etc. I have a life long neurological condition, that's no actual permanent cure unfortunately.

How that helps.
  • Options
    JackedJedi wrote: »
    How's the iron levels in your body? Some people naturally produce a lot of iron and excess iron from foods can also make you sensitive to triggers. Stay away from chocolate and cheese. Circulation around the brain is important, since going on aspirin (the best blood thinner) I've reduced my migraines from 4 days a week to once every 7 months or so, and I'm less sensitive to light (this is a big one, especially bright lights or camera flashes), smell, colors etc. I have a life long neurological condition, that's no actual permanent cure unfortunately.

How that helps.

Thank you, appreciate the time you took to share this. As you can imagine, I've been through the gamut -- ENT, diet / hydration, ophthalmology, acupressure, sleep (including changing beds and routines), dental / oral, neurology. I've learned two things in the past 5 years of diagnosis: 1) everyone's body is different with different cause and effect and treatment, and 2) we as a civilization don't really know a whole lot about the brain or the nervous system.

For me, it's migraines with aura. It's great to hear that you have yours under control. I usually have mine under control these days, but there are certain triggers that I can't prevent but can only try to minimize. For me, it's skin (particularly sinus, but apparently any skin issue anywhere on the body will affect it because it's all interconnected to affect the weakest point, which happens to be my sinuses), and certain light (which is also tied to sinus -- like how staring at a bright light can make you sneeze).

I wouldn't bring it up here if it weren't such a common trigger for so many millions of people. I don't want this to be about me, but about all of us who can benefit from simple and hopefully easy changes to forum posts and game UI (though the game already minimizes this quite a bit). Thanks
  • Options
    You could try turning your phone sideways (i assume you are on mobile) and activating desktop mode.
  • MKIceman
    88 posts Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    You could try turning your phone sideways (i assume you are on mobile) and activating desktop mode.

Hi, this doesn't work when it's images (screenshots of text). I was asking CG to stop posting screenshots of text on white background, which cannot be affected by anything you can do, whether mobile or desktop. Desktop mode, system dark mode, screen readers don't work for images. So I instead asked them to just post the text, or screenshot text on a different background. Thanks
  • Options

Hi, this doesn't work when it's images (screenshots of text). I was asking CG to stop posting screenshots of text on white background, which cannot be affected by anything you can do, whether mobile or desktop. Desktop mode, system dark mode, screen readers don't work for images. So I instead asked them to just post the text, or screenshot text on a different background. Thanks

Oh ok sorry.
  • Options

I spent the last 20 minutes trying to find a Excel to BBCode converter and nothing seems to work, the bbcode doesn't upload properly on this site.

You can export the calendar to a .prn file (file type in Excel is "Formatted Text (Space delimited)"), then paste the text into a Code block here. Just make sure in Excel all the columns are wide enough for the content to be visible, before exporting.
  • Options

You can export the calendar to a .prn file (file type in Excel is "Formatted Text (Space delimited)"), then paste the text into a Code block here. Just make sure in Excel all the columns are wide enough for the content to be visible, before exporting.

Actually that’s an excellent point. You can also save as a CSV file (comma separated value) and they have converters for CSV to bbcode.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.