Mod workbench

It would be nice if CG could give us a mod workbench of say 20 spaces to collect mods from mail/buy mods and be able to upgrade and decide to sell or not. The constant selling off of mods to make space has long been tiresome.

Replies

• AdmiralSnackbar0
    21 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Sincere question, as I’m curious - is there really a benefit to keeping so many mods that you hit the limit? I have a pretty large roster and good mods, and I’ve never hit the limit. I wonder if all the mods you’re sitting on are truly valuable or have good potential.
  • Options
    Sounds like you need to be more selective about what mods you keep. Decide on a minimum threshold of some kind and sell everything that doesn't meet it every time you get new mods. After I started doing that, I never hit the limit again. Right now I'm at 285/500, primarily because there's quite a few mods in my inventory that I should sell, that I just haven't yet for various reasons. If you're actively working on your mods at least once a week and you have a strict enough set of requirements for what you'll keep, you'll never hit the cap.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Options
    HokieFiend wrote: »
    It would be nice if CG could give us a mod workbench of say 20 spaces to collect mods from mail/buy mods and be able to upgrade and decide to sell or not. The constant selling off of mods to make space has long been tiresome.

How is the "workbench" different from adding 20 slots to the current mod inventory?
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Sincere question, as I’m curious - is there really a benefit to keeping so many mods that you hit the limit? I have a pretty large roster and good mods, and I’ve never hit the limit. I wonder if all the mods you’re sitting on are truly valuable or have good potential.

For me it is 100% I am to lazy to go thru and prune them.
  • Options
    I wouldn't call it lazy. It takes a lot of time to upgrade your mod mules and sell your new worst mods off. Last 2 times I did it, it took about 2 hours each.

Inevitably, people will say, "then when people hit the cap of X, they'll complain it should be higher." Okay... so? The cap could be 1, and mods would still function. No matter what limit you set, someone will hit it and complain. So what's a reasonable limit?

There's no practical reason the limit shouldn't be higher. Memory costs next to nothing. So set a free limit, say 500, and let us use resources in-game to acquire extra slots. Those that are happy with 500 would still be happy. Those like me would gladly spend crystals to expand their inventory. Whoever is left would have less standing to complain.

My pipe dream...
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    My hope is to get enough loadouts for my roster.
  • Options
    I wouldn't call it lazy. It takes a lot of time to upgrade your mod mules and sell your new worst mods off. Last 2 times I did it, it took about 2 hours each.

Inevitably, people will say, "then when people hit the cap of X, they'll complain it should be higher." Okay... so? The cap could be 1, and mods would still function. No matter what limit you set, someone will hit it and complain. So what's a reasonable limit?

There's no practical reason the limit shouldn't be higher. Memory costs next to nothing. So set a free limit, say 500, and let us use resources in-game to acquire extra slots. Those that are happy with 500 would still be happy. Those like me would gladly spend crystals to expand their inventory. Whoever is left would have less standing to complain.

My pipe dream...

IMO a reasonable limit is 500 for every mod type for example:
    health=500
    defense=500
    cc=500
    cd=500
    speed=500
    offense=500
    tenacity=500
    potency=500
  • Options

My pipe dream...

health=500
    defense=500
    cc=500
    cd=500
    speed=500
    offense=500
    tenacity=500
    potency=500

So a simple increase from a cap of 500 mods to 4000 would be reasonable?
  • Options
    Stokat wrote: »

My pipe dream...

health=500
    defense=500
    cc=500
    cd=500
    speed=500
    offense=500
    tenacity=500
    potency=500

Yes, Yes, Yes.
    This is the way!
    It is NOT 4000 total but 500 cap per mod type.
    If you reach the 500 health cap it goes too inbox.
    If you reach the 500 defense cap it goes too inbox.
  • Options

My pipe dream...

health=500
    defense=500
    cc=500
    cd=500
    speed=500
    offense=500
    tenacity=500
    potency=500

Yes, Yes, Yes.
    This is the way!

Some mods have more utility than others - Does anyone really need storage for 500 tenacity mods and 500 defense mods? Why separate them? Does anyone actually have hundreds of defense mods that are all so good, they can't find any that they can live without?

I'd argue that no one 'needs' more than 500 mods in storage. I'd be really surprised if someone had enough specialized mods that they really utilized more than 100 or so slots for mods they actually used that aren't always equipped on another character. I don't think it's going to hurt anything to increase the storage cap, but I also don't think it solves the problem. Developing a method for curating your mod collection quickly and efficiently is the cure - but that's not something CG can do for the players - players have to do that on their own and find what works best for them.
  • Derdhal
    24 posts Member
    edited January 1
    Options
    HokieFiend wrote: »

I think this is useful but no just because of the cap, because you can clearly see the new mods and you don't need to look for them after upgrade among all the ones you already had.
  • Options

My pipe dream...

health=500
    defense=500
    cc=500
    cd=500
    speed=500
    offense=500
    tenacity=500
    potency=500

Yes, Yes, Yes.
    This is the way!

Some mods have more utility than others - Does anyone really need storage for 500 tenacity mods and 500 defense mods? Why separate them? Does anyone actually have hundreds of defense mods that are all so good, they can't find any that they can live without?

I'd argue that no one 'needs' more than 500 mods in storage. I'd be really surprised if someone had enough specialized mods that they really utilized more than 100 or so slots for mods they actually used that aren't always equipped on another character. I don't think it's going to hurt anything to increase the storage cap, but I also don't think it solves the problem. Developing a method for curating your mod collection quickly and efficiently is the cure - but that's not something CG can do for the players - players have to do that on their own and find what works best for them.

I missed anyone saying they "need" more to function. It's that the current limit places more tedious burden on the player, so we (royally) WANT more.

No one needed squad loadouts, fleet loadouts, mod loadouts, improved mod management, sim tickets, filters, sorts, shortcut buttons, etc. Why should this QOL improvement be any different than the others? Obviously, many people find 500 to be a burden. And some don't. I didn't really care about fleet loadouts or the improved mod management tools (HU user), but I can appreciate why others did want those things.
  • Options
    Actually, I think a full roster mod loadout is the most analogous QOL request I can think of. No one needs it. I don't even care about it personally (HU user), but that doesn't mean it wouldn't improve the player experience.
  • Options

My pipe dream...

health=500
    defense=500
    cc=500
    cd=500
    speed=500
    offense=500
    tenacity=500
    potency=500

Yes, Yes, Yes.
    This is the way!

I missed anyone saying they "need" more to function. It's that the current limit places more tedious burden on the player, so we (royally) WANT more.

No one needed squad loadouts, fleet loadouts, mod loadouts, improved mod management, sim tickets, filters, sorts, shortcut buttons, etc. Why should this QOL improvement be any different than the others? Obviously, many people find 500 to be a burden. And some don't. I didn't really care about fleet loadouts or the improved mod management tools (HU user), but I can appreciate why others did want those things.

I'm not saying don't raise the cap. If CG decides to do that, I'm fine with it - I'm saying why separate them into buckets of 500 of each mod type? Many people no doubt have way more health mods than they do any other mod type - those people would end up hitting the new cap on health mods long before hitting the cap on another mod type and the frustration returns that much faster - so why bother with that and not just increase the cap on all mods without adding new restrictions? It seems unnecessarily complex.

I can appreciate why people want a higher mod cap too - and I'm not opposed to it - my point is that if people are actively managing their mods and taking a realistic approach to what they should be keeping and selling, it becomes a much less frustrating issue. I think a reasonable cap is somewhere around 6 * the number of characters in the game + 500. That gives enough room for every character to store one spare loadout and 500 mods 'in flux'.

People will still hit the cap though, and they'll still be frustrated by this if they don't change their mod management habits. The problem is not that we can't store enough - the problem is that people have a hard time discerning what's worth keeping and what needs to be sold so they just don't fool with it until they hit the cap. By that time the job is so huge and time consuming that it feels like work, and ain't nobody got time for that.

By all means, increase the cap. But that's a symptom of a larger problem that WILL return as long as people don't change their mod management strategy (or refuse to develop one).
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    I have no problem staying at 400/500 and I farm 3x50 daily
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ragnarok_COTF
    1791 posts Member
    edited January 1
    Options
    I had no problem without several other issues addressed by QOL features. Let's remove them!
  • Options
    I had no problem without several other issues addressed by QOL features. Let's remove them!

Literally no one is saying not to increase the cap. If anything I'm saying that doesn't do enough to fix the problem. I'm in favor of more QOL, not less.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options

I don't see this as a QoL because it doesn't make my life easier because I'd stay at 400 anyway.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    I was responding to TVF. I think you and I are largely in agreement but want to focus discussion on different angles.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

I don't see this as a QoL because it doesn't make my life easier because I'd stay at 400 anyway.

I know. That's why I made the snarky reply.
  • Options
    If you hit the limit, it's time to throw away some, something you should be doing anyway. Doesn't matter where the limit is.

I basically toss everything that's below 10 speed before slicing. A hard rule makes it easy to prune.
  • Options
    I used to hold so many mods around and hope one day they'll have some uses.
    I am wrong,
  • Options
    If you've looked at that unequipped mod 47 times now, sell it off.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Options
    It's the equipped trash mods that are the problem for me. It takes time to shuffle all the junk off my mules and put new good mods on.

Also, I disagree that it's as simple as "Speed > X, I keep, else trash". For tenacity, potency, CC, CD, and offense sets, there are other secondaries that can be just as important as speed. So if I have a meh speed roll but great Offense% rolls on an Offense set mod, I want to keep it. Not to mention, some tanks really don't need speed at all. So there's a backlog of mods with lower speed but great defense secondaries lying around. Finally, if you've played long enough, that speed threshold is going to increase.

So, depending on the set, the slot, and what my mod mules have equipped; it is not always evident whether a newly rolled mod should be trashed or not. And the time it takes to determine that is unreasonable, imo.

You guys aren't coming up with novel strategies. Your strategies are known. They're just time consuming.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    It's the equipped trash mods that are the problem for me. It takes time to shuffle all the junk off my mules and put new good mods on.

Also, I disagree that it's as simple as "Speed > X, I keep, else trash". For tenacity, potency, CC, CD, and offense sets, there are other secondaries that can be just as important as speed. So if I have a meh speed roll but great Offense% rolls on an Offense set mod, I want to keep it. Not to mention, some tanks really don't need speed at all. So there's a backlog of mods with lower speed but great defense secondaries lying around. Finally, if you've played long enough, that speed threshold is going to increase.

So, depending on the set, the slot, and what my mod mules have equipped; it is not always evident whether a newly rolled mod should be trashed or not. And the time it takes to determine that is unreasonable, imo.

You guys aren't coming up with novel strategies. Your strategies are known. They're just time consuming.

and then add to that if they are in a loadout some where. You can't delete them till you remove them from the loadout. I have some that are this way and finding them are a pain
  • Options

But raising the cap doesn’t solve the issue that managing mods is time consuming. No one is against raising the cap I think. It’s just not going to fix the issue that mods suck and are a horrible time sink to deal with for the minimal though necessary improvements if you care about pvp elements of the game.
  • Ragnarok_COTF
    1791 posts Member
    edited January 2
    Options
    It would alleviate the issue. Rather than being something I am forced to do because I hit a cap, if the cap were generous enough, eventually I would deal with it on my own because I am ready for a large time sink. In other words, I'd rather spend 4 hours once than 1 hour 4 times.
    Post edited by Ragnarok_COTF on
  • Options
    I guess I’m just not following. Seems you are arguing both that there is too much time needed to shuffle mods and not enough time necessary to justify the time sink. I don’t think you’re arguing that players need more than the 2000 mods you can currently have (6x259 plus 500).

If you’re not arguing that 2000+ perfect mods is insufficient then it still just comes down to setting whatever criteria you’d like to use as your cutoff point and selling what doesn’t fit until you have sufficient space that you can wait long enough before having to do it again.

Yes the criteria keeps moving up as your bottom mods increase from poor to bad to average to above average to god. However isn’t the ultimate goal to have god mods on every character? Obviously without an extreme combination of money and time, it’s not an attainable goal but it’s the dream.

If you’re arguing we need more than 2000 perfect mods I’ll just respectfully disagree and move on.
  • KDC99X
    756 posts Member
    Options
    ***I*** need it!! :D

Seriously would be so useful for swapping mods between different events/game modes, or just generally testing out different mod assignments.

The next best mod QoL would be making it possible to directly swap mods between characters and character/inventory in the mod management workflow. That would be a HUGE time saver.
    Actually, I think a full roster mod loadout is the most analogous QOL request I can think of. No one needs it. I don't even care about it personally (HU user), but that doesn't mean it wouldn't improve the player experience.
  • Options
    Drathuk916 wrote: »
    I guess I’m just not following. Seems you are arguing both that there is too much time needed to shuffle mods and not enough time necessary to justify the time sink. I don’t think you’re arguing that players need more than the 2000 mods you can currently have (6x259 plus 500).

If you’re not arguing that 2000+ perfect mods is insufficient then it still just comes down to setting whatever criteria you’d like to use as your cutoff point and selling what doesn’t fit until you have sufficient space that you can wait long enough before having to do it again.

Yes the criteria keeps moving up as your bottom mods increase from poor to bad to average to above average to god. However isn’t the ultimate goal to have god mods on every character? Obviously without an extreme combination of money and time, it’s not an attainable goal but it’s the dream.

If you’re arguing we need more than 2000 perfect mods I’ll just respectfully disagree and move on.

I've tried to be very particular with when I use "want" and "need". If we define "need" as the minimum unequipped inventory to prevent me from quitting the game, it's probably around 200.

I've described what I want all over this thread and why. In short, I'd like a larger unequipped inventory because it'd make my life easier. Part of the reason the current cap works is that we have mod mules, but shuffling mods on and off of them is a major part of my time sink when it comes to managing my inventory. With a large enough cap, I could stop managing the mules and save time.