Is This Really Good For The Game? It certainly isn't fun

ax6hv1ubgns9.png

Current GAC match in Kyber 3. Opponent did not set a single squad on defense - only 3 fleets, Executor, Profundity, and Leviathan.

With my Executor on defense and not having unlocked Profundity or Leviathan yet, I was only able to beat the Executor. Without setting a single squad, my opponent won.

I realize it's just a strategy gamble, and if I had the other ships I probably would have won, but it feels like the fact that it's a viable strategy at all shines a light on some of the balance and issues with the game mode.

Replies

• Options
    Your opponent's strategy is not viable. There is absolutely no benefit gained by doing what he did vs setting all G1/L1 toons. I agree that it isn't fun to not get to play the game. But I wouldn't sweat it too much; this strategy is quite rare (because it isn't viable).
  • Options
    Yeah, you lost because you couldn't clear the fleets. That they didn't set any squad defense is irrelevant.
  • Ultra
    11509 posts Moderator
    Options
    you couldn't full clear

Skill issue :joy::joy::joy: 🫵 🫵
  • Options
    If you had seen this in his history you could have set the most trash fleet on D, taken your best on offense and would have had a super easy win.

There’s no strategy to your opponents approach.
    If you can clear ships, you win.
    If he can’t clear ships, you win. If he get stuck on ground, you win.
  • Options
    As for your original question, I don't think it's good for the game, but it's also quite rare. At this point I don't think it can do serious damage to the game, though if it became a more common tactic with 10% or 15% of players using it, then I think CG would need to address it.

As it is, I'm sorry you didn't get a fun matchup. I'll cross my fingers for you next time.
  • Celoth
    24 posts Member
    Options
    This strat is popularized by a few on Youtube. I hate it. It's effective in lower divisions (big gamble in Kyber though) but it's very against the spirit of the format IMO.
  • Options
    Why is it against the spirit of GAC? They utilised their full roster in the manner which was most relevant to the match-up they had. They had good ships and saw their opponent didn’t. Perhaps OP had the advantage in squads and their opposition wanted to be able to choose any attacking squad without risking getting stuck because they’d put a good counter down on defence. Well done to the OPs opposition I say.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • ToLive
    110 posts Member
    Options
    You can beat pretty reliable Levi by Executor, Executor by Finalizer and Profundity by Executrix. So being in Kyber 3 and not having at least 2 gl capital ships forces you to know that counters. This time opponent outsmarts you, next time you will do it.
    He gave you a decent lesson "If an opponent has all 3 gl ships save all 3 counters for offense".
  • Hortus
    628 posts Member
    Options
    I agree, it's more the game lesson than the game problem. And your opponent even was so kind not to waste your time on pointless frontline battles. ;)
  • Damodamo
    1586 posts Member
    Options
    I know people who set this when they get matched by ridiculous rosters. I say people, one guy in my guild does it. Pokes fun at the super Whaley accounts and just leaves it to a coin flip - he has all the toons to clear defences and then it’s on fleets. If you have 3 off meta counters and can make them work then why not.
  • Options
    ToLive wrote: »
    You can beat pretty reliable Levi by Executor, Executor by Finalizer and Profundity by Executrix. So being in Kyber 3 and not having at least 2 gl capital ships forces you to know that counters. This time opponent outsmarts you, next time you will do it.
    He gave you a decent lesson "If an opponent has all 3 gl ships save all 3 counters for offense".

Ive never seen a vid of 7 star Levi counter by exec. Can you point me to this? You stated its a reliable counter
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFAg200P5FE&t=1192s

I use it on fleet arena. I would say about 75% success but it requires higher level of relics
  • Options
    I honestly don't see the problem. This is exactly why building up your ships is so important. Balance issue? Dawg there is no balance in this game mode, it's a competition for resources. If you don't have the right tools (in this case, your own Profundity and Leviathan) then why should you win? Just do what you can, learn the lesson, and move on.
  • Options
    Losing because you didn’t bring the necessary tools to beat your opponent isn’t fundamentally a problem of the game.
  • Lumiya
    1487 posts Member
    Options
    tpx7bspn60p8.gif
    We are all made of star-stuff