Have relics declined in value?

I've never understood the purpose of relics. They became a staple in the game with the release of gl kylo and Rey and were necessary for accessing the rancor challenge raid but nowadays they feel like they've just become another hurdle to overcome in toon development. I mean the only thing they do is increase health and damage output slightly and offer a small amount of protection if players are willing to reach relic 9. But in the end none of this matters because if the toons don't have God mods they will still perform poorly in battle which renders relics pretty much useless

Replies

• Blubcop
    409 posts Member
    Options
    They increase damage a lot imo
  • LordDirt
    5146 posts Member
    Options
    IMO, R5 is the lowest your characters should be. Power creep is a thing and it will never stop. One day R9 could be the minimum your characters should be or maybe R15 or whatever else the add to the game.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • herd_nerfer
    2089 posts Member
    Options
    I'll take any additional stats I can get. The difference between R3 and R5 might not be that significant - but the difference between R3 and R8 is much more so. It adds up, I think. I've never been sorry for taking a character to a higher relic tier, but I've often wished a character had more.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Options
    But sometimes I feel like the benefits are so miniscule that they aren't worth the trouble. A good example is that for the longest time I had r2d2 at relic 7 or 8 for the longest time prior to gl leia event and when I decided to push for relic 9 the payoff was a mere 9000 protection and even after mod swapping for phase one of the event r2 was still underperforming losing all the extra protection and still taking decent damage. I know it could still have been the mods even though I did go for the recommended sets but again if you don't have the mods working in your favor the damage boosts from relics don't do much
  • TargetEadu
    1646 posts Member
    Options
    Some Relic upgrades won’t give you a lot of value, true. Relicing Hermit Yoda beyond R5 is probably a waste, for an extreme example (unless you’re depending on operations).

My advice for avoiding that is to figure out who could have won you a battle you barely lost, if only they had a little more survivability or damage.

I think it’s more a symptom of Relics becoming the baseline over time instead of something you give to powerful units or requirements. Individual Relic upgrades won’t have a huge impact the same way individual gear tiers won’t. But you’re going to want Reics anyways.
  • Options
    Datacrons have forced me to relic a handful of toons I wouldn’t have upgraded otherwise.
  • herd_nerfer
    2089 posts Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily agree that they don't do much. Obviously mods are a factor - but even having said that - until there's some other use for signal data and relic mats - what else are you going to do with them?

I have guild mates that refuse to take any character over the absolute bare minimum for whatever they're trying to do. While I admire the commitment to efficiency, I can't play that way - that just takes a lot of the fun out of the game for me. If I have a character that I particularly like and use often, I want more relics on them. More stats, bigger numbers, more fun. As for PVE events - I suspect those are tuned to a specific success rate with a given set of stats. It's not reflective of what the unit is capable of, even in other PVE events - so I tend to not give that very much weight in my relic choices unless there are relic gates involved.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Jacgul
    280 posts Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily agree that they don't do much. Obviously mods are a factor - but even having said that - until there's some other use for signal data and relic mats - what else are you going to do with them?

I have guild mates that refuse to take any character over the absolute bare minimum for whatever they're trying to do. While I admire the commitment to efficiency, I can't play that way - that just takes a lot of the fun out of the game for me. If I have a character that I particularly like and use often, I want more relics on them. More stats, bigger numbers, more fun. As for PVE events - I suspect those are tuned to a specific success rate with a given set of stats. It's not reflective of what the unit is capable of, even in other PVE events - so I tend to not give that very much weight in my relic choices unless there are relic gates involved.

Yeah, I like that, I think we sometimes forget to still have some fun. I recently took my Bossk to R8 and will take him soon to r9. I don't really care about Bossk, but he's a good leader and it makes my R9 Boba Fett and R7 and R4, also planning on R9 for both, Boba Scion of Jango and Jango Fett more usable. None of them need to be R9, I think even for platoons it's R7 for SOJ and then Jango R7 for Kenobi. But the first star wars movie I saw in theaters, that I was old enough to understand, was attack of the clones and Jango Fett was the coolest guy I'd ever seen. So I'm absolutely gonna max him out.
  • Egnards
    20 posts Member
    Options
    You’re underselling what relics are.

Relics are just a version of gear progression.

Getting from r0-r5 is relatively easy to do, even for a casual player, and significantly increases the important stats for a particular unit.

Regardless, most people do not have god mods on more than a few teams.