Crystal spending?

A week or so into the game and I'm starting to really enjoy it. I've been purchasing the 350 crystal chrome packs but never get anything to my liking. Seems like a complete waste to me. I'm saving up now and thinking of just purchasing shards of characters I want and maybe some training droids. At least I'm getting something I want. I'm concentrating on just upgrading my 10 main characters as I get them. So the 4 or 5 guys that I have now will be in my main group, everything goes to them until I get another keeper.

What are the pros on here doing with their crystals?

Replies

• Options
    I used to waste them on chromiums, hoping to get something decent like maul or lando, but now only use them for energy refreshes. Much more productive.
  • Options
    You should try the 8x pack. I've had great success with them.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    Go for 8 packs only if you got money to burn. Just stick with refreshes if you are a moderate spender. Chromiums are pretty terrible and in hope folks quit buying these 100 dollar packs to send the devs a message. A good 4 star toon should be 5-10 dollars at the most.
  • Options
    J7000 wrote: »
    Go for 8 packs only if you got money to burn. Just stick with refreshes if you are a moderate spender. Chromiums are pretty terrible and in hope folks quit buying these 100 dollar packs to send the devs a message. A good 4 star toon should be 5-10 dollars at the most.

Agreed. I heard CG runs another game called HODA.. Do they sell 4* characters there for $5?
  • Options

Great tips, thanks a bunch everyone. The chrom 8 pack does seem tempting with 8 items guaranteed.
    What refreshes are everyone using, normal or cantina? I use up most of the shard farming spots in one go since you can only hit each three times.
  • Kyuu2
    112 posts Member
    Options
    1 Cantina refresh (100), and two normal refreshes (50*2) seems to be the most sustainable. After those refreshes, it doubles in price.
  • Options
    I used to save my crystals for weeks to be able to afford the 8x packs. But all I'd get was shards for ewoks, geonosians, snow troopers, clones, jawas etc. So I started using them to refresh my cantina energy, and I unlocked kylo ren in just a couple weeks. Now I'm refreshing my normal energy to farm rey and I'm just over half way there.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy packs, just don't go expecting to get great characters even when you're buying 8x cards at a time, cause there's nothing worse than that feeling of disappointment.

• Yendor
    261 posts Member
    Options
    A good 4 star toon should be 5-10 dollars at the most.

I totally agree with that pricing structure, but people are apparently buying the packs at 50 and even $100 so I don't suspect we'll be seeing a price change soon. It's a shame really. I have only bought the little $5 pack at the beginning (I think it had dooku in it?), and since them I've only bought crystals. Now I'm having to cut that out. Just too rich for my blood.

As to the OP's question, if money is not an issue, go ahead and go for the 8x chromium packs. In the beginning you'll likely get 2-3 toons ranging from 1-4 stars with it leaning heavily to the 1-3star range and then you'll get shards for 5-6 other toons (this is just based on my experience, YMMV). As you collect toons, the packs will yield more shards and few complete characters. My last 2 8 packs yielded me a single 2 star and the other 15 boxes were shards on toons I already had. That is when I stopped buying them. That's a huge expenditure for no real return.

Now, if you're like most people and money still matters to you, my advise is to steer clear of the chromium packs and use the crystals you purchase for refreshes so that you can farm more daily and pick up the occasionally high value shards in the shipments.

• Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options

Great tips, thanks a bunch everyone. The chrom 8 pack does seem tempting with 8 items guaranteed.
    What refreshes are everyone using, normal or cantina? I use up most of the shard farming spots in one go since you can only hit each three times.
    It's not eight *characters* guaranteed though. Most (and sometimes all) of those eight are just *shards*, which is why the packs really aren't worth going for unless you're planning to buy a lot. Even if you get lucky enough to pull one of the best 4*s, you won't be able to farm it unless you keep buying packs and getting lucky.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Bill
    53 posts Member
    Options
    It's best to save your gems for energy refresh. 1 for cantina maybe 2-3 times for energy. If your super rich and can afford it then go all 8 pack chromium. But you still gotta do the missions regardless.
  • Yendor
    261 posts Member
    Options
    Rolf wrote: »
    It's not eight *characters* guaranteed though. Most (and sometimes all) of those eight are just *shards*, which is why the packs really aren't worth going for unless you're planning to buy a lot. Even if you get lucky enough to pull one of the best 4*s, you won't be able to farm it unless you keep buying packs and getting lucky.

QFT

How you use you crystals on refreshes depends on how many crystals and how often you are willing to buy as well as what you're farming.

If you are buying but still want to be frugal, I would suggest the 100 crystal cantina refresh of which you'll get one and the 50 crystal energy refresh which you'll get 2 (I think).

If you can afford more crystals to this, you can add in the 200 crystal cantina and the 2 (again, I think) 100 crystal energy refreshes.

If you're addicted, have no self control and/or have money to burn, you can always continue on to the 400 crystal refreshes.

To me, the 200 crystal refreshes are already of a questionable value and I don't personally recommend going past this price point.
  • Benr3600
    1098 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you finish decently high in arena rankings and do dailies every day, you can sustain one cantina energy and one or two normal energy refills each day. Farm shards and gear.
  • Options
    I highly recommend using crystals for refreshes and extensions. Even at 200 crystals for 120 energy you can gain more shards for characters you specifically want than any RNG pack can offer. Packs are just a lot easier and fun than grinding it out.

You pay for convenience. *exceptions include characters like Maul, Lando, etc., that are pack locked.
  • Options
    Like others have said - I use my crystals for one cantina energy refresh per day for 100 crystals and two regular energy refreshes per day for 50 crystals. I probably get 150 crystals per day through arena, daily activities and Galactic War so it's really only costing me 50 crystals a day.
  • Options
    As others have said, only buy x8 chromiums, because that guarantees at least one character drop (could be an ewok though).

To be honest, 5-10 dollars is really low on quality games with good IP and large rosters. Starwars have a smaller roster than Marvel, and Marvel charges a bit higher than that. I am ok with the current 100 for 2 strong 4* packs. Just hope it will be more regular i.e. at least once a month.

No more guaranteed 1* packs please.
  • Options
    Ive noticed 3 50 crystal normal refreshes and 2 100 cantina refreshes
  • Options
    Ddot wrote: »
    Ive noticed 3 50 crystal normal refreshes and 2 100 cantina refreshes

Umm, try looking at the dates before you bump a thread? I'm amazed that cantina battles were even part of the game as old as this thread is.

Also, unless it has changed very recently it is two regular energy refreshes at 50 crystals each and two cantina refreshes at 100 each before the price goes up.