Vader should have a 'Reflect' ability similar to Han's 'Shoots First' - Bespin Face-off scene!

Brazilian_Joe
367 posts Member
edited June 2016
Remember on Bespin, when Han Solo quickdraws on Vader and he just stops his blaster shot with his hand, then disarms solo?

Well, Vader should have a 'Reflect' ability which, like Han Solo's "shoots first", happens once per encounter.

The first time Vader is targeted (or AoE'd) for a damaging attack, the attack is not just evaded like foresight - it is reflected back at the caster with the full effects of the original power and an additional chance to stun. The character would still be able to resist effects with tenacity, defense would reduce damage, etc.

Granted, in the movie he does not reflect the blasters straight back at Solo, but this being a combat game, it would fit better to reflect the damage back at the attacker.

If there is a budget in the animation team, Vader should stop the attack by stretching his arm with an open palm, mimicking the movie. Can Obi-Wan's 'hand wave' animation be piggybacked here with adjustments?

It would be awesome because it's in-lore with Vader, and also perfectly counters Han Solo's ability, and also pays homage to the movies.

I just don't know what to call it...

"The Other Hand Wave" - Take that, Obi-Wan!
"Dinner Table Trick" - Yeah kinda lame, but it happened in a room with a large dinner table and Vader was at the far end. While Solo tried to surprise Vader, he was outwitted and "outforced".
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side" - A bit long winded and Vader says it in a different context, but a cool quote nevertheless.
"Deal With the Empire" - Lando announces he made a deal with the Empire to leave them be at Bespin just as they enter the room Vader is in. (only to quickly regret it later, as the Empire can't be reasoned with.)
Post edited by Brazilian_Joe on

Replies

• Ego12Draconis
    251 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ok ok, definitely a good idea for a toon that's difficult to obtain like Vader. Your idea's better than yon Vader hitting with 1k as he does currently
  • Brazilian_Joe
    367 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yeah I think that it fits with the character very well. He is a slow clunker, it also makes sense for him to just rebuff the first attack he receives.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Options
    If that is the case, why isn't Kylo able to freeze all blaster fire coming to him until after the encounter?
  • Options
    Cause Kylo is an emo brat, not a Star Wars Legend.
    And he will never be as powerful as Darth Vader!
  • Options
    Bump! We should have this in the game.
  • Khayman
    850 posts Member
    Options
    So much this haha
    Cause Kylo is an emo brat, not a Star Wars Legend.
    And he will never be as powerful as Darth Vader!

• Options
    Great idea and the devs really need to look at this one. They really just need to rework Vader entirely. He's slow, no damage, decent but not great AOE, and the Saber Throw that's actually pretty cool. Vader is iconic but in this game he is basically useless.
  • Options
    Needs some development, but I like the idea. Reflecting 100% of the damage back at the attacker is too much. Maybe 25%.
  • Options
    Needs some development, but I like the idea. Reflecting 100% of the damage back at the attacker is too much. Maybe 25%.

Nope 100% is perfect. 25% wouldn't be worth it at all. That's basically just giving him a damage boost on a counter attack. 100% would actually give people a reason to put him in the line up for arena.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Great idea and the devs really need to look at this one. They really just need to rework Vader entirely. He's slow, no damage, decent but not great AOE, and the Saber Throw that's actually pretty cool. Vader is iconic but in this game he is basically useless.

Whaaaaat... Vader has a really strong synergy but its just hard to get stars for him, what really should be fixed is his AI, which always messes up what should be the easiest strategy. The way he's represented is done very well in my opinion, as what little he trades in speed for combat he retains in his large health pool, he's tough to avoid and turns weakness into serious damage, all traits similar to the movie guy. At least he didn't end up like Boba Fett, who sadly is one of the least threatening characters in the game
  • KingPin
    522 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    He should have a skill that stuns all versions of Luke (current and future releases) for 1 turn

"I am your father"
  • Brazilian_Joe
    367 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    100% is fine because it's a one-off skill which takes place a single time only at the beginning of each encounter, just like Solo's "Shoots First".

It's a counter to the first shot suffered.
    It pays perfect homage to the classic movie scene many of us know by heart.
    It reflects the encounter should it ever happen in the game.
    There could be two achievements to reenacting it, one for playing as Han Solo, another for playing as Vader!

• Options
    KingPin wrote: »
    He should have a skill that stuns all versions of Luke for 1 turn

"I am your father"

Add in Kylo and Leia and you might be onto something.

• KingPin
    522 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Yeah I am your (grand)father

As long as they add in a noooooooo squeal before the stun I'd be well impressed lol

Although for Kylo if on your team it calls an assist as well as the stun to enemy luke/Leia, if he on ememy team remove his turn meter out of respect
  • KingPin
    522 posts Member
    Options
    Apologies for spoilers just in case anyones been in a cave for the past 36 years (no pun intended for the kiddies here)
  • Options
    Remember on Bespin, when Han Solo quickdraws on Vader and he just stops his blaster shot with his hand, then disarms solo?

Well, Vader should have a 'Reflect' ability which, like Han Solo's "shoots first", happens once per encounter.

The first time Vader is targeted (or AoE'd) for a damaging attack, the attack is not just evaded like foresight - it is reflected back at the caster with the full effects of the original power and an additional chance to stun. The character would still be able to resist effects with tenacity, defense would reduce damage, etc.

Granted, in the movie he does not reflect the blasters straight back at Solo, but this being a combat game, it would fit better to reflect the damage back at the attacker.

If there is a budget in the animation team, Vader should stop the attack by stretching his arm with an open palm, mimicking the movie. Can Obi-Wan's 'hand wave' animation be piggybacked here with adjustments?

It would be awesome because it's in-lore with Vader, and also perfectly counters Han Solo's ability, and also pays homage to the movies.

I just don't know what to call it...

"The Other Hand Wave" - Take that, Obi-Wan!
    "Dinner Table Trick" - Yeah kinda lame, but it happened in a room with a large dinner table and Vader was at the far end. While Solo tried to surprise Vader, he was outwitted and "outforced".
    "You don't know the power of the Dark Side" - A bit long winded and Vader says it in a different context, but a cool quote nevertheless.
    "Deal With the Empire" - Lando announces he made a deal with the Empire to leave them be at Bespin just as they enter the room Vader is in. (only to quickly regret it later, as the Empire can't be reasoned with.)

+1 this a great idea.

• Brazilian_Joe
    367 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    KingPin wrote: »
    He should have a skill that stuns all versions of Luke (current and future releases) for 1 turn

"I am your father"

That is already baked in the mechanics in the spell blocking mechanics, which is irresistible by jedis.
    His AoE is a translation of the force choke as well.
    And his big NOOOO is his death cry.

--

As for reworks, his main usability problem is that he is so slow that his force choke DoTs expire before he gets a chance to use his lightsaber throw's extra damage.

If I were to give him any rework at all, I would give him a self-buff on his force choke where he gets a % of TM on every negative effect caused on enemies.
    More characters giving more debuffs on enemies would sinergize with him better.
    That way he is still a slumbering behemoth, but speeds up to use his lightsaber throw sooner.
    That plus the one off reflect attack would put him in a much more competitive position.