How important is extra gear past max gear level?

So, I have a tendency to use my raid gear sparingly. A lot of characters after max gear level tend to require a few more pieces of gear (ie Ackbar past Gear X needs another tech design). How important is it to max out each character on gear? Is there a list that says "hey, you need these past that level" like the extra scanner on Teebo?
Meanwhile, down on the farm....

Replies

• Options
    Depends on the gear and the toon really. For example, I have Ashoka maxed other than the scanner she can add as the only piece towards gear 11. She doesn't need the potency really, and the extra armor penetration to me isn't worth the investment. So nope...

Teebo's scanner is another story. Any additional potency you can add through gear to him is a good idea. Rey gets three pieces towards gear 11. One adds a bit of speed, and the other two physical damage. I absolutely plugged those into her.
    - R.I.P. Carrie Fisher -
  • scuba
    14193 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Dantefire wrote: »
    Depends on the gear and the toon really. For example, I have Ashoka maxed other than the scanner she can add as the only piece towards gear 11. She doesn't need the potency really, and the extra armor penetration to me isn't worth the investment. So nope...

Teebo's scanner is another story. Any additional potency you can add through gear to him is a good idea. Rey gets three pieces towards gear 11. One adds a bit of speed, and the other two physical damage. I absolutely plugged those into her.

But... But... That. 0.09% crit chance Snips gets from that scanner is awsome! ;)
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Dantefire wrote: »

But... But... That. 0.09% crit chance Snips gets from that scanner is awsome! ;)

I know, I know... Believe me I wrestled with it for minutes!
    - R.I.P. Carrie Fisher -
  • Options
    I just got two guys to gear level X this week. I thought we could get to XI, but seems like a lot of slots are the ???? 'this gear will become available in a later update'. I'm kinda glad. Sure was a tedious, and long process to get to X !
  • Options
    R13D13 wrote: »
    I just got two guys to gear level X this week. I thought we could get to XI, but seems like a lot of slots are the ???? 'this gear will become available in a later update'. I'm kinda glad. Sure was a tedious, and long process to get to X !

A few can make it to 11, such as QGJ. Most can't.
  • Options
    pac0naut wrote: »
    So, I have a tendency to use my raid gear sparingly. A lot of characters after max gear level tend to require a few more pieces of gear (ie Ackbar past Gear X needs another tech design). How important is it to max out each character on gear? Is there a list that says "hey, you need these past that level" like the extra scanner on Teebo?

ZERO, you need full gear to be effective, it makes ZERO sense to add gear unless you get the complete set to move to the next level
  • Options
    R13D13 wrote: »

These characters can go to G11

Clone Wars Chewbacca
    First Order Stormtrooper
    Jedi Knight Anakin
    Qui-Gon Jinn
    First Order TIE Pilot
    Resistance Pilot
    Resistance Trooper
    Stormtrooper Han
    Lando Calrissian
    Luke Skywalker
    CT-7567 "Rex"
    IG-86 Sentinel Droid
  • UoJCAM
    213 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Go on swgoh.gg snd sync your account. It will show you all the gear you need plus a bunch of other nice features.
  • Options
    Jedi_Yoda wrote: »

ZERO, you need full gear to be effective, it makes ZERO sense to add gear unless you get the complete set to move to the next level

This is not necessarily true. As someone stated above it depends on the gear and the character. His example of Teebo was a good one. The two pieces Palp can equip at gear 10 is another. It adds a considerable amount of special damage and a bit more survivability. Both things that Palp can use. Plus those two pieces are a real PITA to farm if you don't have the blue gear. Better to get some of that out of the way now than have to scramble later on when more gear levels become available.

• Options
    MrClean621 wrote: »

This is not necessarily true. As someone stated above it depends on the gear and the character. His example of Teebo was a good one. The two pieces Palp can equip at gear 10 is another. It adds a considerable amount of special damage and a bit more survivability. Both things that Palp can use. Plus those two pieces are a real PITA to farm if you don't have the blue gear. Better to get some of that out of the way now than have to scramble later on when more gear levels become available.

You ain't kidding about being a PITA to farm. I spent like 3 or 4 days farming blue orbs.
  • Options

You ain't kidding about being a PITA to farm. I spent like 3 or 4 days farming blue orbs.

Worse part is I was gearing up Jawas at the time the Palp event dropped. They also need tons of the blue power cells so I was flat out. Now I'm trying to get Tarkin geared up. He needs the same **** stuff as Palp. I'm having nightmares about blue power cells and detonators!!

• Options

Worse part is I was gearing up Jawas at the time the Palp event dropped. They also need tons of the blue power cells so I was flat out. Now I'm trying to get Tarkin geared up. He needs the same **** stuff as Palp. I'm having nightmares about blue power cells and detonators!!

UGH...........thanks for the heads up! Jawas also need more cuffs than a ****.
  • Options
    For my main toons. I like to max out their gear after I get them to max gear level in anticipation for lvl cap being raised one day and gear levels start looking orange. It gear 12 whenever that happens. I don't want to be caught in arena with my naked gear X toons when everyone makes next jump up.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    After I finish a toon or two I'm going to just max all the characters I have ready just in case that level cap increase happens before the year is over, I just have too many that I want to be ready just in case because that is a lot of gear and I can't imagine how long it will take to get everyone to gear 11-12
  • Options

This. Another example is RG. If you have the inkling and rely on him heqvily, those two extra stun guns are an extra 1200 health.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    I actually make it a personal rule to equip all gear possible. Keep in mind that mods often add a % bonus to your base stats, so you not only lose the benefit of whatever gear piece you chose not to equip, but also the mod bonus.