Is the lack of a robust and effective defense system the root of SWGoH balance issues?

Caspertricks
46 posts Member
edited February 2016

Is the lack of a robust and effective defense system the root of SWGoH balance issues? 76 votes

Yes
46%
Rolfcosmicturtle333ioniancat21OtarichotolotLocoAlCrymsonkyngmeanpridefungushnitzelTakCaspertrickskozakjanosfive2zeroTevinHarmsonKrychekDreamwalk3rZehavaPtolemyEris_Discordant 35 votes
No
22%
RheenKaatStarSontjw_tjw14DarthNicoPlague_IncHaloWars29ChooChoobaccaCalus_78Ello_AstyAluxendrKwynne4444Megadeth3700MolakFindecNitricKaib 17 votes
Maybe
19%
Stekcir_LeinadFantazyFAED_EmperorBrobiWanKenobidkredsoxajmillerWillkimm98NaurosObi1_master1DingleTingleJuan123AKK889vangohRJ__BrandoGruyloRen 15 votes
I love one shot meta's every update foreva MOAR one shots please!
11%
XyostupidfatfoolCleanerThalosKiranoShokyDaddyngo007DogaDefinitivePoeCounterXblade77x 9 votes

Replies

• Options
    Maybe
    It would be kind of interesting if each character had a set of defensive and offensive capabilities. Then you could chose how to set up your arena squad while away
  • Options
    No
    Robust and effective? What does that mean? The game could definitely do exponential defense growth to bring defensive stats inline with the absurd way damage increases as characters level. But that won't fix any balance issues. There will still be swaths of unusable characters and few very strong characters.
  • Otar
    252 posts Member
    Options
    Yes
    Just ask yourself, Defense Up to all or Offense up to all? I bet no one will pick defense up right?
  • Options
    I think the devs need to get away from their adherence to 5 minute time limits. Raise it to 10 minutes and buff defense IMO. I chose option 4 just because rebel, but my true choice would be option 1
  • Caspertricks
    46 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes
    :D
    Findec wrote: »
    Robust and effective? What does that mean?
    Exactly! What does that mean? Because I don't see anything even close in SWGoH to a robust and effective defensive system. Armor is a joke, defense up is a giggle, some tanks have less Hp then attackers, evasion is laughably useful, ect ect ect. And this leads to 90% of nerf this toon posts Poe included evolving from I get one shot so its broken. Fix defensive mechanic's, solve the majority of this toons too OP balance issues.
  • Options
    Yes
    I'd like to see players have the ability to setup their defensive team, with a separate screen for your offensive lineup. You should also have an option to change any of these teams during the day for a few crystals, rather than have to play a refresh...
  • Options
    No
    Exactly! What does that mean? Because I don't see anything even close in SWGoH to a robust and effective defensive system. Armor is a joke, defense up is a giggle, some tanks have less Hp then attackers, evasion is laughably useful, ect ect ect. And this leads to 90% of nerf this toon posts Poe included evolving from I get one shot so its broken. Fix defensive mechanic's, solve the majority of this toons too OP balance issues.

I do agree that defensive stats need to be more significant but I don't think it will be a cure all for the games balance problems. Speed will still be king, Poe giving the whole team a first turn advantage and a taunt will still make him the best tank by far and call in attacks will still be somewhat overpowered.

So while I agree with your conclusion I don't agree with your premise that it is the root of the games balance problems. It's just one amoung others.
  • Options
    Maybe
    One thing that bugs me about the game that could also be used to fix this is that every instance of the same character has to be equipped the same way. So if we both have gear level 5 killer Ewoks, they will both have exactly the same stats. However, if you gave some leeway in allowing players to select the gear their characters equip, they would have to make decisions about what they want that character to be. This could be simple - for each slot there is an offensive, defensive, or balanced option, or you could have different vectors that players could follow - offensive, defensive, speed, resistance, etc. If you built a character with only offensive options, they'd better kill everyone the 1st turn or they'll be slain by an Ugnaught breathing on them. Or you could build up a super-tank with limited offense, but can soak up huge damage.

Probably no way to easily introduce this complexity into the game now, but agree that giving characters defense in ways that just go beyond more hit points (e.g. the scene in Empire where Han shoots at Vader in the dining room, and Vader just casually deflects the shot) would be useful.
  • Options
    Yes

I do agree that defensive stats need to be more significant but I don't think it will be a cure all for the games balance problems. Speed will still be king, Poe giving the whole team a first turn advantage and a taunt will still make him the best tank by far and call in attacks will still be somewhat overpowered.

So while I agree with your conclusion I don't agree with your premise that it is the root of the games balance problems. It's just one amoung others.

I can appreciate that, as that is the reason for a poll to hear others opinions! I personally feel you have to have a good foundation for defense and offense before utilities like turn mapulation and expose can be truely valued for balance issues. I see utilities being OP as a symptom of a lack of core foundation. Look at it like American football you have offense defense and special teams (utilities). It's great to have an extra point from the kickers now and again, but with no defense whoever has the best offense is still going to win, unless that kicker gets lucky I.e.(Poe goes first as an example)
  • Options
    Need armor damage reduction to be %

Not sure if its hard to code

It would make the game last longer and defending more viable

Arena is all speed n dps now.
  • Options
    No
    I said no because as the question is asked, I have to say that the balance issues is due to the follow the leader mentality and newness of the game. Everyone runs Sid & Lumi because WE said to farm them first. Now, we are all playing follow the meta and not getting in front of it because we don't have the toons to do it with yet.
    ☮ Consular ☮ Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi
  • Options
    Yes
    B)
  • Options
    Yes
    I think that leaving your hard earned team of characters at the mercy of the ai and to expect it to defend your arena rank effectively is the problem with this game and that's why fast high dps teams are needed with poe at the moment.Also the fact that a person 9 ranks below you can snipe and replace your position is stupid and instead of top 40 ranks they should fix this for top 200 ranks in the next update.Better yet replacing the pvai with actual pvp would be better.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    As soon as defense becomes too potent people will be angry about the difficulty of offense. This will never change because the Devs know people spend money to actively play, not for what occurs when the app is closed.

However that doesn't mean this speed + damage meta doesn't need to change.
  • Options
    Yes
    Defense does not have to be "too potent" to be robust and effective
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This is the same argument made when I played swc.

Offense was too easy and people complained that they were being steamrolled. Defense meant nothing so people didn't care about the layout of their base.

In response defense was made more robust and effective. Immediately afterward people complained offense was too hard and that they'd wasted X dollars buying crystals to speed timers on construction of units.

Does this mean there isn't a middle ground? No. But be careful what you ask for.

None of this has to do with the current garbage meta though.
  • Options
    Yes
    :(
  • Doga
    808 posts Member
    Options
    Glad I feel smarter than the AI And know to heal early, and don't try to heal through a block
  • Options
    Yes
    Being smarter than AI does help, but is not going to fix balance o:)
  • Options
    Yes
    Yes, it would definitely change things
  • Options
    No
    I think it definitely contributes, but it is not the root of all evil
  • Options
    No
    I said no because this is a phone app. It's get it, slam some face, get out. Great for us with kids, dogs and wives. 10 minute timer would be horrible... my ADHD already means I can't bear any fight that lasts more than 2 minutes.

It's not rocket surgery.
  • ARC
    138 posts Member
    Options
    There is no defense in the game
  • ARC
    138 posts Member
    Options
    So yes
  • RJ__Brando
    1500 posts Moderator
    Options
    Maybe
    The addition of Chief Chirpa is interesting. It promotes a slower paced, controlling game. Hopefully they add more characters like this.
  • Kaib
    74 posts Member
    Options
    No
    I'd like to see a bit more potency to defense up but it's good for the game that so many combinations of teams can
    generate enough offense to compete.
    Seems like the issue at the moment is there are too many assist callers in general with too good of crits. And that seems to be a response to a making some of the fastest characters having powerful stuns. The addition of new characters over the past couple months had started to adjust that.
  • Options
    Maybe
    My suggestion would be to let players click and drag a character's abilities into the order/priority they want them to be used defensively in arena (on the sidebar ability list).

Example 1:
    You could drag Finn's useless advantage ability to the bottom so he would use his 1) Stun 2) Basic 3) Advantage up in that order.

Example 2:
    With characters like Yoda & Rey, you could drag their basic abilities to the top so they would get foresight on their first turn if you wanted to play defensively.

It would you give you a greater measure of control over your squad but your characters would still have to use all of their abilities. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Yes
    The poll concept is fine but the wording is killing the results.

"Should defensive stats be meaningful in SWGOH?"

Done.