Countering Old Ben

I've been managing to clear Galactic War every day so far except today when I ran up against a brick wall of a team with a 55 Old Ben. Whenever I face him his Mind Trick decelerates my team so much that I can't take anyone down and it has a really high up-time.

I tried retreating after the start of the match to get a few more turns without mind trick, then subbed cad bane in. But his resistances are so high that it's hard to get a stun or healing immunity to stick and I know I can't just leave him be as his mind trick will come back round again.

I also have this issue in Arena where any team I face with Old Ben is almost certainly going to time out, especially if there is even just one counter attack enemy along with him.

Has anyone got any tips for countering him, or come across characters that work well against his effects? Is it just a case of leave him to last and retreat any time his Mind Trick is up? Also has anyone figured out a good way of dealing with him in arena? I'm going to be able to get Barriss's unique to level 5 next level, so a 40% chance to dispell his mind trick effects on Jedi might help but that seems a bit unreliable.

Replies

• Options
    Old Ben is tough at any level. Him and Lando are rare drops for a reason. The good news is he has an extemely low turn meter and at 60 if he is just 4 starred he is quite easy to deal with.
  • Options
    The biggest trouble with him, if you manage to ability block him or something and nuke him down, he buffs the enemy team to high hell and back. So you need to leave him till last and cope with his effects, or take Ackbar or another cleanser and remove his debuffs right away, or nuke him fast and get Ventress or someone to try and dispelled the buffs on the enemy if and when he dies.
  • Skye
    795 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    WhipiT wrote: »
    Old Ben is tough at any level. Him and Lando are rare drops for a reason.

Probably cause the devs are trying to figure out if they are too powerful or not! Is my suspicion... The number of times I've faced Obi-Wan I've actually always left him last to kill because of the buff... His ability lock is annoying, but if you have two healers and self healers the lock isn't that bad...

Lando and Obi-Wan together, I've only had the misfortune of facing them both together once!!! And frankly if I ever see those two together again in their current form, I think I'd rather chop off my little fingers for fun instead!

Anyway back to Obi Wan.. as people have said your best bet is to bring people who can dispell, Barriss does it passively and somewhat unreliably.. So admiral ackbar or the Ewok Elder is your most reliable option to deal with Obi-Wan's debuffs...

If your team is high health and not full of glass cannons, you can pretty much leave him to last to defeat
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    How I deal with Old Ben: Dooku and Luminara.
    Stun him. When the stun wears off, ability block him. In the meantime (or if this doesn't work) get your own specials off and burst down any glass cannons they have. If you can't get him all the way dead before he gets his special off, you can survive it one time, then take him out. Remember that you can retreat and regroup.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Old Ben + Barris + Maul + Chewie + Dooku
    Really annoying team lol
  • Options
    counter him with luminara ability block or any1 with ability block
  • Options
    I've been managing to clear Galactic War every day so far except today when I ran up against a brick wall of a team with a 55 Old Ben. Whenever I face him his Mind Trick decelerates my team so much that I can't take anyone down and it has a really high up-time.

I tried retreating after the start of the match to get a few more turns without mind trick, then subbed cad bane in. But his resistances are so high that it's hard to get a stun or healing immunity to stick and I know I can't just leave him be as his mind trick will come back round again.

I also have this issue in Arena where any team I face with Old Ben is almost certainly going to time out, especially if there is even just one counter attack enemy along with him.

Has anyone got any tips for countering him, or come across characters that work well against his effects? Is it just a case of leave him to last and retreat any time his Mind Trick is up? Also has anyone figured out a good way of dealing with him in arena? I'm going to be able to get Barriss's unique to level 5 next level, so a 40% chance to dispell his mind trick effects on Jedi might help but that seems a bit unreliable.

Question how do you retreat? Do you close the game out or is there a button for it I don't seem to quite see
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Hit the gear button top left and the option will be there. The opponent must have taken at least one turn to see it. Be sure not to hit auto-play by mistake.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Skye
    795 posts Member
    Options
    Another option which is little utilized is use a tenacity leader like Kitt Fisto or Luke.. this will actually help you resist debuffs.
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • Options
    Lobot clears all negative effects from all allies and they each get 5% health for each effect dispelled. Great against Old Ben and Vader.

Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I have a 3* Luke in my stable so I'll level/gear/skill him up and sub him in against Old Ben. Will probably do better than my 2* Ewok Elder :P though I'll probably get around to levelling him too as another healer is always useful. Was checking the tenacity on my big hitters and a 33% swing will get most of them resisting more often than not.
  • Options
    slow him down. Try 5s and Ventress.
  • Options
    I always kills old Ben with count n that one Jedi healer who has block.... He to easy to beat on any level
  • Options
    I tested Luke vs. Old ben - got Luke leader to 33% - didn't seem to make any impact. I was going to post for the devs to make sure that the tenacity skill is functioning properly.

Also, Ackbar doesn't do a great job dispelling even when he's not ability blocked. I think both these skills need looked at closely for balance. Neg effects - esp on Ben - seem to proc at a pretty high rate. The skills that counter that however are not nearly as effective. That's painful for Ackbar for example because his dispel is just a dispel - he does no damage on it. If he's sacrificing damage it should work at a pretty high rate, not like it does currently.
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I tested Luke vs. Old ben - got Luke leader to 33% - didn't seem to make any impact. I was going to post for the devs to make sure that the tenacity skill is functioning properly.

Also, Ackbar doesn't do a great job dispelling even when he's not ability blocked. I think both these skills need looked at closely for balance. Neg effects - esp on Ben - seem to proc at a pretty high rate. The skills that counter that however are not nearly as effective. That's painful for Ackbar for example because his dispel is just a dispel - he does no damage on it. If he's sacrificing damage it should work at a pretty high rate, not like it does currently.
    Agreed re debuffs in general. And the problem is with Ventress, even if it was working properly (and I know it's not, because you can still heal from the buffs but they don't dispell), is that she does high damage and when her turn comes round it's usually a choice of maybe dispelling a few buffs on the enemy squad, or probably taking one out (or near enough for another Hero to finish the job). The second option is always the best one atm.

And Ben is very tough. I usually always focus on the high dps enemies first. Even Luminara's ability block does so much damage to high attackers it's almost always better used to take down their offense earlier than delay Bens mind tricks. Just depends on turn meters and whether the damage will trigger a heal anyway.

Once all their heavy hitters are down, I will focus Ben down. His death buffs don't matter on wet noodle tanks and healers like Barriss.

And Ben on a Jedi team is one thing I can deal with. He works much better on a sith team with Vader and Sidous.
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • Options
    I always pop a taunt (I use Poe) before he gets his ability block off. I then focus down others (albeit some of my toons have offence down). As the ability block only lasts one turn I can often heal Poe with lumi before he Dies.
    The other options is to use dooku to stun him (most reliable stun on Jedi) straight off the bat - then focus down the most dangerous toon.
    In either case I leave old Ben until last.
    Haven't had a battle in arena over 1:30 for as long as I can remember, different story in GW where I don't accept casualties :neutral:
  • Options
    Yoda, anyone??? I think it's only me that uses Yoda to block all negative buffs
  • Options
    I use Rex to grant tenacity to my whole team, virtually negating old Ben and other debuffers
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Holy necro. This post is from Dec 2015, that's why no one mentions Yoda.
  • Benr3600
    1098 posts Member
    Options
    In a word...Yoda tenacity up
  • Options
    Telaan wrote: »
    Holy necro. This post is from Dec 2015, that's why no one mentions Yoda.

Heh, funny. Obviously Yoda, he is basically a hard counter vs Ben.
  • bleeaauuh
    1006 posts Member
    Options
    To counter Ben use yoda tenacity up
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Do you need to counter Ben? Don't have Yoda yet, and I look for teams with Ben to attack. It's like starting 5 on 4.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    People are still posting suggestions to the op who wrote this thread in Dec 2015; before Old Ben received one direct nerf and two indirect nerfs, before Yoda, and before Rex.

I think the op has figured out how to counter Old Ben by now.
  • bleeaauuh
    1006 posts Member
    Options
    Didn't see the time it was posted
  • Options
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    Do you need to counter Ben? Don't have Yoda yet, and I look for teams with Ben to attack. It's like starting 5 on 4.

Lowbie Bens maybe, but I doubt you base this opinion on a mature meta in the top 10. Ben hits pretty hard once fully upgraded, and I've kept him in my lineup until Yoda. Yoda is basically a hard counter on offense.
  • Options
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned Jedi Master Luke?

Oh wait this op was back in December 2015 and he wasn't an option yet.

This thread is so old - I feel like I'm posting from the future....