Sith team Nihilus lead

Ajunta
22 posts Member
edited March 2017
Hi all,

I would like to do a nice Sith Team with Nihilus lead, BUT I was surprise to realise that many sith character's capacity are NOT in synergy with Nihilus leading capacity :

"Lord of Hunger :
Sith allies gain 60% offense and 150% Health Steal. Sith allies lose all Protection and gain that much
Max Health. Sith allies are immune to Healing effects that aren't Health Steal and can't score Critical Hits"

That mean :

- Darth Sidious will be useless because he will loose benefit of the two additionnal Damage Over Time effects on "Demoralizing Blow" and the 20% Max Health recovery whenever any unit is defeated.
- Count Dooku will loose the most important bonus on his zeta (+10% protection recovery on counter attacks)
- Savage Opress will loose all benefits of the Health Over Time effects that he should get every time he takes damage and Critical Chance Up and Critical Damage Up from "Overpower" will be totally useless.

So the good question is : Who for the team ? Should I have to leave these characters for Vador, Palp, Maul, Sith assassin and Sith Trooper or is there still some viable characters in the previous liste ?

Replies

• Options
    I've been using a DN led team for awhile (until I swapped to Zaul today) and they were pretty effective. I was running either DN + Dooku + EP + TFP + Shore or DN + Sith Assassin + Dooku + EP + Shore. Worked fine in my shard but in more advanced shards I can see it not being effective.
  • Ajunta
    22 posts Member
    Options
    You mean zMaul lead is definitively better than zNihilus lead ?
  • Options
    Well, I'm just going by my own experience but from what I can see so far ..

My previous arena team was DN, SA (or TFP), EP, Dooku and Shore

My current arena team is Zaul, DN, SA, EP, Dooku

My shard is nearly all wiggs and some wiggs/chaze

Zaul = totally demolishes wiggs teams. DN (sans Zeta) was also killing them but they had a better shot of occasionally getting me due to favorable RNG.

Zaul = not totally convinced it is OP vs Wiggs/Chaze (yet .. maybe if I gear up my SA even more it might help), but my DN team (sans Zeta) was fairly effectively vs wiggs + chaze.

I'll know more when I use Zaul more but for now that's been my takeaway. I did run into a brutal Zihilus team in GW earlier today (Zihilus, EP, Vader, Maul, Dooku) and I was only able to beat it using my Zaul team, despite my team in general being decent in speed.
  • Rakim
    267 posts Member
    Options
    Ajunta wrote: »
    Hi all,

I would like to do a nice Sith Team with Nihilus lead, BUT I was surprise to realise that many sith character's capacity are NOT in synergy with Nihilus leading capacity :

"Lord of Hunger :
    Sith allies gain 60% offense and 150% Health Steal. Sith allies lose all Protection and gain that much
    Max Health. Sith allies are immune to Healing effects that aren't Health Steal and can't score Critical Hits"

That mean :

- Darth Sidious will be useless because he will loose benefit of the two additionnal Damage Over Time effects on "Demoralizing Blow" and the 20% Max Health recovery whenever any unit is defeated.
    - Count Dooku will loose the most important bonus on his zeta (+10% protection recovery on counter attacks)
    - Savage Opress will loose all benefits of the Health Over Time effects that he should get every time he takes damage and Critical Chance Up and Critical Damage Up from "Overpower" will be totally useless.

So the good question is : Who for the team ? Should I have to leave these characters for Vador, Palp, Maul, Sith assassin and Sith Trooper or is there still some viable characters in the previous liste ?

I cannot comment on Sidious but I can comment on the other two you've mentioned.
    Dooku: 150% health steal >>>>>> 10% protection recovery. On the average hit you'd be healing for around 7000 health on EVERY hit without his zeta that gives extra damage. With 25000 protection, which is a pretty high number to get on dooku, you'd only be healing 2500 protection on counters.

Savage: I think he's still very solid, you're healing about 10-13k on every hit. With his TM gain you're hitting pretty often. Not having the crit chance up isn't too big, you don't want to crit most of the teams you're facing at the higher levels. BUT against Zader leads not having the heal over times is a noticeable issue. Against anyone else he's still tanky as heck, healing 13k a hit keeps him very healthy through matches.

These are probably the two best sith toons to use behind a Nihilus lead, imo
  • Options
    Here's a few videos of my DN lead teams against a zaul team and a Rex team

https://youtu.be/-bjDJwzRbOo
    https://youtu.be/LwvVcm6alXs
  • Options
    SirLoki I run a Nihilus lead in arena also, how significant would you say the health down is noticed you had it. Also OP, dooku is super viable on a Nihilus team even without the zeta, as his counters continuously have recover his health-though the zeta would be a waste if you were planning on using him under nihilus.
  • Options
    Dooku and Sith Trooper for their counter-attacks and the health steal make them solid choices for a Nihilus lead. Savage Oppress misses out in his HoT but he is still gaining essentially perma-offense/defense up, still dispells an ally every turn and still cleanses himself when he is crit. He brings plenty of utility without the HoTs and the inadvertent side effect of no HoTs is he is less vulnerable to Boba nuking him.

If running that style of team I probably run Darth Nihiuls (L), Savage Oppress, Dooku, Sith Trooper and the fifth is a flex spot. Go with Sith Assassin to ignore protection and setup early Overpowers from Savage. Go with Emperor Palpative for Shock/AOE Stuns and a slightly softer target for enemies. Go with Darth Maul to gain Daze, max health gains and solid damage. Of course that is if you want to go with an all Sith team, if you are mixing/matching then the options are much broader.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Options
    SirLoki wrote: »
    Here's a few videos of my DN lead teams against a zaul team and a Rex team

https://youtu.be/-bjDJwzRbOo
    https://youtu.be/LwvVcm6alXs

Second vid looks legit but I don't think it's feasible for most people to get any toons to move before an enemy SA when fighting Nihilus vs Zaul. Mine moved at 305 effective speed for example. And I think it'd be quite difficult for you to win that first match without the opening Dooku stun.
  • Options
    What I'm beginning to see in my shard is a sort of triangle
    Nihilus>Rex
    Rex>Maul
    Maul>Nihilus
    As shown above, it's not unreasonable for Nihilus to beat Maul but definitely difficult. Personally, I think the best Nihilus-led team would be Dooku(very fast), Maul, sith trooper, and palpatine
  • Rakim
    267 posts Member
    Options
    Darlex11 wrote: »
    Dooku and Sith Trooper for their counter-attacks and the health steal make them solid choices for a Nihilus lead. Savage Oppress misses out in his HoT but he is still gaining essentially perma-offense/defense up, still dispells an ally every turn and still cleanses himself when he is crit. He brings plenty of utility without the HoTs and the inadvertent side effect of no HoTs is he is less vulnerable to Boba nuking him.

If running that style of team I probably run Darth Nihiuls (L), Savage Oppress, Dooku, Sith Trooper and the fifth is a flex spot. Go with Sith Assassin to ignore protection and setup early Overpowers from Savage. Go with Emperor Palpative for Shock/AOE Stuns and a slightly softer target for enemies. Go with Darth Maul to gain Daze, max health gains and solid damage. Of course that is if you want to go with an all Sith team, if you are mixing/matching then the options are much broader.

Sorry just wanted to correct one thing, savage still gets the HoT's, they just don't do anything when it's his turn. He's usually too tanky to be killed by Boba on one shot but against Zader leads the DoT/HoT combo make him a guaranteed one shot
  • Options
    @Sir Loki, I'd be very interested to see how this team would fare with a more readily (farmable) character in place of GK. :)
  • Options
    Among the multiple arena teams I run, one of them is a Nihilus lead.
    After much experimentation I think I have one down that is effective against even Zaul teams.
    Nihilus, Vader, Sith Trooper, Sith Assassin, Dooku
    Even with Zaul's bonus turn meter at the beginning, my Sith Assassin will go before Zaul, but usually not before EP. So, some of this is based on the luck that SA doesn't get stunned at the beginning. I always have SA use her Dark Shroud to give the rest of the squad some nice turn meter, which means, I can unleash Nihilus and Vader special before anyone gets a chance to throw tenacity up, or an enemy Nihilus to add to my cooldowns.
    From there, it's just a matter of whittling the opponent down.
    Biggest advantage of a Nihilus team is that you can't critically hit anyone, so GK's taunt never pops, and Zarriss's Special never activates

Sith Trooper is really hard to kill in this squad, especially once he gets his counter ability up.
    I sometimes flip out Vader for Sid, or sometimes Savage (maybe Savage more once I zeta him). I rarely use EP, as his basic can still critically hit on the non-targeted enemies (Jedi and Rebels)
    Overall, I like this squad. It's usually a 3 minute plus fight, but once they enemies start dropping, it goes fast.
  • Options
    I went for Zaul in my first Zeta, thinking it would be formidable. For the most part - it is. Now, bear in mind this is after I ran a DN lead for weeks and was top of my arena shard.

Once I ran Zaul with DN, SA, Dooku and EP, I was still dominating rebel teams but Chaze teams managed to break through at times, maybe due to favorable RNG or maybe because I put all my fastest mods on everyone but Zaul.

So I went back to DN, jacked up the speed on the team (DN/SA/EP/Dooku) and jacked up protection on Shore. Now it's far more favorable for me again to retain position.

Really thinking now given how my shard is I'm going Zihilus next, especially if I can get Sith Trooper to gear X soon.
  • mlb1399
    674 posts Member
    Options
    Ajunta wrote: »
    You mean zMaul lead is definitively better than zNihilus lead ?

Yes. I was running DN lead and people could pick me off at #1. Anyone running Zader, EP or Zaul could beat me. This lineup is very effective against R1 or GK/zBarris because of the no crits. Teams with EP/Zid would crush my team because of the health block.

Switched to Zaul and now the frequency of getting beat has gone down. I just subbed DV for Baze 2-3 days ago and no one has been able to beat me with AI.

It is important to note that my team is max gear, double zeta.

• Lekrom1982
    343 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am nowhere near fully leveled, starred and geared, but I went with a DN lead for arena as soon as I unlocked him and have been able to climb up my arena from just under #2000 to #121 yesterday in a month.

I get that Sidious loses some of his special aspects under DN but he has been a solid member of my quasi-Sith team and he works well with his high speed mods to lay down the first debuffs for DN to do his thing, and then also apply healing immunity to key enemy units using his basic during the course of the battle.

I am working on Maul when I can find shards, so he will definitely slot into my team when I have him at the level and gear I need.

For your setup I would go with DN lead, Vader, Palp, SA and ST if you have SA and ST geared well.

I run DN lead, Vader, Sidious, Boba and either SA or Phasma for TM gain for the heavy hitters. I have not found need for an outright tank due to the health steal of the Sith members.

Speeds: Sidious first, DoTs - then Boba to apply AB, then Vader (if there is squishy enemy with couple of debuffs by now I can easily culling blade and go again to lay down more DoTs with Vader). DN is high on tenacity so usually withstands enemy AB on first round, when he goes he can force drain and I end up annhilating one enemy member every battle, as well as fequent dispells using his basic. By the time Phasma runs her Victory March very few of most of my opponents' team has gotten off any special attacks and my guys can go again.
  • Sith1
    314 posts Member
    Options
    Agreed tank is not a must but having sit in he works wonders for my arena as well. DN (L) sid, ep, sa, st I went from 800's to 58-89 in just this month of meta all gear 9 except sid sitting at 10. You will not be disappointed if you added sit and sa with high speed on sa