Is a 100 Crystal Energy Refresh worth it for FTP?

Prev1
For farming gear, the short answer is no.
How did I come to this conclusion? Looking at drop rates for 4 different popular gear farms. We're looking at Stun Guns, Stun Cuffs, Holo Projector and Gold Balls. I'm going to break each one down as they each have different drop rates and value.

When purchasing energy refreshes, at 50 crystals you gain 120 energy which is 2.4 energy per crystal. At 100 crystals for a refresh that's 1.2 energy per crystal. So this is the baseline at which I used to see if it's worth refreshing or saving the crystals to just buy it outright from shipments.

Stun Cuffs
Attempts - 1187 • Gained - 216
Drop Rate - 18.2%
To gain 50 salvage you would need roughly 275 attempts or 2750 energy
Cost of Full Stun Cuff is 1400 crystals
Energy per crystal is 1.96 - Less than 50 crystal refresh but more than 100 crystal refresh.
Stun Guns
Attempts - 835 • Gained - 186
Drop Rate - 22.28%
To gain 50 salvage you would need roughly 224 attempts or 2240 energy
Cost of 50 Stun Gun Salvage is 1274 crystals
Energy per crystal is 1.76 - Less than 50 crystal refresh but more than 100 crystal refresh.
Holo Projector
Attempts - 799 • Gained - 200
Drop Rate - 25.03%
To gain 20 salvage you would need roughly 80 attempts or 800 energy
Cost of Full Holo Projector is 300 crystals
Energy per crystal is 2.67 - More than 50 crystal refresh and more than 100 crystal refresh.
Remember there can be some statistical variance for this so it may still be worth doing the 50 crystal refresh for this.
Gold Balls
Attempts - 133 • Gained - 22
Drop Rate - 16.54%
To gain 50 salvage you would need roughly 302 attempts or 3020 energy
Cost of Full Gold Ball is 750 crystals
Energy per crystal is 4.03 - Way more than 50 crystal refresh and 100 crystal refresh. This is a really small sample size because I quickly saw how awful the drop rate is, it was not worth farming. In order to break even, the drop rate would need to be 28-30%. The 750 crystals is a deal and should always just buy it from shipments unless you only have a few salvage to finish.

So in every instance, its always better to save the 100 crystals and use it elsewhere. Also, this looks at strictly farming gear, this does not account the value of credits gained and other minor gear included on each specific node. Most long time players are gear crunched and don't really need credits, so this information is "geared" for those players. This is also about 4 months of data collecting and at no point has the drop rates been nerfed or changed during this time, the drop rates stayed pretty steady from week to week.

P.S. I did get railed for 2/39 for stun cuffs today, dropped my drop rates 0.4%, which really means I'm due for a good farm day.

Replies

• Unimatrix010
    483 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Nice data collection, always appreciated to see some actually useful information regarding drop rates.

That PS was a joke I assume? If so, well played!
  • Options
    3/30 on stun guns today :( so sad.
    Nice data compilation. Drop rates look similar to what I've experienced (don't have actual numbers though). And definetly, the gold components are always worth the buy at 750 crystals over farming
  • Options
    Looks like I'm toning down my refreshes majorly
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Options
    i'm fairly certain overall 10 node drop rates = 20%
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • TeamWarriors
    85 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Supercat wrote: »
    i'm fairly certain overall 10 node drop rates = 20%

It is possible it could 20% across the board for 10 energy as my data is within 3% of margin of error. Even at 20% drop rates, the cost benefit of a 100 crystal refresh for gear farming is not efficient. I think with the hidden conversion of drop rates, most people don't realize the cost benefit of what they're spending crystals on.
  • Options
    This is why I rarely refresh anymore. Very appreciated effort for the data collect OP. :smile:
    This is a signature.
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I just do the 50/50 and no cantina and get enough energy to do my 600.
    With saving the crystals and coming in 1st each day, I can buy any gear I choose every 3 days. Well if the gear shows up
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    great post! thanks for sharing this information.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Jetlife wrote: »
    I don't think so. I just do the 50/50 and no cantina and get enough energy to do my 600.
    With saving the crystals and coming in 1st each day, I can buy any gear I choose every 3 days. Well if the gear shows up

Lol have you even read the op? Stopped at the title obviously...
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Options
    I read all his stats. Good stats btw. I've known the drop rates are terrible for a loooong time. And that is why it's best to not refresh
  • Options
    Good work OP. It's true. The only reason I do the crystal refresh is cus I'm too lazy to patiently catch all my refreshes and max out my GC contribution. I justified it as a gear boost as well, but it really isn't. Better off saving my crystals for direct purchases.
    | ☮ Scoundrel ☮ | 635-571-985 "Never tell me the odds." BHG Wakanda Forever
  • Options
    Jetlife wrote: »
    I read all his stats. Good stats btw. I've known the drop rates are terrible for a loooong time. And that is why it's best to not refresh

Fair enough, my apologies then. Just sounded like all you read was the title.
  • Options
    I usually always buy projectors and gold balls. Good value vs farming for sure. Full furnances same deal as well.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting! I've been wondering this recently, looks like I'm cutting back on refreshes. Especially Cantina refreshes since I have all that I need from there for the time being.
  • EventineElessedil
    6171 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Once again, my carefully crafted response has been shuffled to mod approval purgatory because I had the audacity to try to edit after posting. To restate:

OP, I like your data about drop rates. I think your conclusions ignore the effect of free energy on your decision process. Add in daily free energy and assume you spend all energy on gear farming, you can acquire 615 daily energy at a cost of 100 crystals, or 6.15 energy/crystal. Purchase another 120 energy for 100 crystals, the ratio drops to 3.68 e/c.

I like to translate farming into crystal cost per gear. It simplifies the decision process for me.

Farming is always cheaper, but obviously takes much longer. (see pics below)
  • Options
    nite0wl29 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting! I've been wondering this recently, looks like I'm cutting back on refreshes. Especially Cantina refreshes since I have all that I need from there for the time being.

Hey please note, I'm only referring to regular energy for LS and DS battles. NOT cantina energy refreshes.
  • Options
  • Options
    Once again, my carefully crafted response has been shuffled to mod approval purgatory because I had the audacity to try to edit after posting. To restate:

OP, I like your data about drop rates. I think your conclusions ignore the effect of free energy on your decision process. Add in daily free energy and assume you spend all energy on gear farming, you can acquire 615 daily energy at a cost of 100 crystals, or 6.15 energy/crystal. Purchase another 120 energy for 100 crystals, the ratio drops to 3.68 e/c.

I like to translate farming into crystal cost per gear. It simplifies the decision process for me.
    oSYIle9.png

Farming is always cheaper, but obviously takes much longer.

The reason to ignore free energy is that you get that regardless. You can buy gear and use your free daily energy on something else. It has no barring in terms of the value you gain by purchasing gear from shipments. I think of it when you buy gear, you're buying "energy" so you can use your free energy on something else. So the ratio of comparing energy gained from refreshes can be comparative to "energy" gained from buying gear.
  • EventineElessedil
    6171 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    nevermind ... blew the math
  • Options

oSYIle9.png

That ignores that the free energy is irrelevant to the question of whether the value added of the 100 crystal refreshes is worthwhile. You can continue to use the free energy and the 50 crystal refresh to farm the gear. The added value of the 100 crystals is still not worth it -- you're better off farming and saving the excess crystals for buying.
  • Options
    Oh hamburgers! I blew the math! This is more like it.
    EraJGW6.png

Add the 100 crystal refresh and spend 80 on hard node for dailies
    iZ1EhxE.png
  • Options

oSYIle9.png

That ignores that the free energy is irrelevant to the question of whether the value added of the 100 crystal refreshes is worthwhile. You can continue to use the free energy and the 50 crystal refresh to farm the gear. The added value of the 100 crystals is still not worth it -- you're better off farming and saving the excess crystals for buying.

Haha, ditto.
  • Options
    OK then ... but the free energy is not irrelevant.
  • Options

No one says it is irrelevant, it simply doesn't make sense to include in the analysis.
  • Options
    So, save the 2 refreshes @ 100 ea.? But spend the refreshes @ 50 ea.? That still only saves 200 crystals a day. To buy something that costs 1,400, that's a full week of savings. Why doesn't this sound appealing to me?
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    So, save the 2 refreshes @ 100 ea.? But spend the refreshes @ 50 ea.? That still only saves 200 crystals a day. To buy something that costs 1,400, that's a full week of savings. Why doesn't this sound appealing to me?

it would take longer if you did 2x100 refreshes. ~20% droprate = 5 salvages per day = 10 days for a cuff instead of (1400/200 = ) 7 days.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options

I'm not trying to discourage people from refreshing, it's more of understanding what you get from your crystals. Using energy on hard nodes is a perfectly acceptable reason to refresh at 100 crystals as that value can be worth it to some people, such as trying to farm FOTP. But for gear farming, I would really say no, it's not worth it.
  • spotremix
    1566 posts Member
    Options
    i've been playing almost a year now and i have yet to refresh my energy once with crystals. i always wait until the game gives me refreshes. and tbh i miss over half the drops of energy they give from being at work at noon and asleep at 9.

i'm not spending 100 crystals just to refresh. i can wait. the amount of time inbetween me playing is enough that i always have some energy except on the weekend.
  • Options

What's less appealing is using that extra 200 crystals to get 240 energy a day for 7 days to gain an extra 1680 energy with a drop rate at 18.2% only to get 30-31 stun cuff salvage. Instead, save the crystals to buy it outright.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    Options
    I use refreshes to get my daily 600. I know it's possible to achieve it without buying a single refresh, but it requires timing and careful energy use, where as 50 crystals gets it done easy.