Potency overkill?

Given resist = tenacity - potency with a floor of 15, wouldn't the max potency required to reach the 15% be their highest tenacity - 15%?

I ask because I see lots of people running 80-90% potency while most people's tenacity is around 35%.

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    maybe those are raid characters?
    other than that there is no reason to mod a character anywhere near 80/90%. I personally aim for ~50% on debuff/TMR characters just to be safe, but i know it's a waste in almost every arena battle. There are some rex's on my leaderboard with boosted tenacity, wich would have probably worked if it wasn't for the fact that most players boost potency because they think it's necessary to land debuffs.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    maybe those are raid characters?
    other than that there is no reason to mod a character anywhere near 80/90%. I personally aim for ~50% on debuff/TMR characters just to be safe, but i know it's a waste in almost every arena battle. There are some rex's on my leaderboard with boosted tenacity, wich would have probably worked if it wasn't for the fact that most players boost potency because they think it's necessary to land debuffs.

Because nothing is more infuriating than getting your shock/daze/ability block/whatever resisted. I'll pump Potency for the sole reason of lowering my blood pressure.
  • Options
    Is that the way it's calculated? I have a 98% potency EP purely because I didn't know that. I can tell you for certain that I don't normally land 85% of stuns though.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Is that the way it's calculated? I have a 98% potency EP purely because I didn't know that. I can tell you for certain that I don't normally land 85% of stuns though.

there's only a 70% stun chance. 85%(potency/tenacity check) of that 70% results in a ~60% stun chance.
    You should land shock ~85% of the time though.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I noticed it with EP especially, everyone seems to have a potency +. I think it's due to people not wanting stun resisted but forget that it only has a 70% of even being attempted. So with 150% potency, you still have no greater than 55% chance to stun.

For raids it's marginal. I don't find the need to stack EP with potency on P3.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

there's only a 70% stun chance. 85%(potency/tenacity check) of that 70% results in a ~60% stun chance.
    You should land shock ~85% of the time though.

Oops, you're right it should be * not + so 0.7 * 0.85.
  • Options
    Got it. Guess I'll re-mod then! I do run Zid with super high potency to make the most of his zeta though.
  • Options
    I also recently realized I was running too much potency, with consideration for how resistance is calculated. It's been verified the formula is:

"Defensive toons's Tanacity - Offensive toon's potency = Chance to resist, but chance to resist cannot be less than 15%."

From what I've seen, most toons not specifically modded for tenacity usually run in the 35-55% tenacity range.

So if you're facing someone with 35% tenacity, you technically only need 20% potency against them to get the max benefit. Similarily, if you are facing someone with 55% tenacity, you only need 40% potency, and anything over that is wasted.

This specifically comes into play for us running Palp lead Empire teams - that 32% bonus will often give us way more potency than we need, unless facing someone specifically geared for tenacity. And even then, if you had a puny base potency of 20%, plus 32% from Palp lead, the opponent would need to have at least 67% tenacity for all your potency to be utilized.

I'm no math major so feel free to correct if I am wrong. :smile:
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Options
    My Zidious is laughing at all of you :wink: