How to approach my Arena Team

Hey everyone, kinda long post, so please stick with me and any helpful advice would be welcomed. Trying to get some advice for my arena team. I currently run the following team:

EP (L) g10 (170 speed)
Vader g10 (151 speed)
TFP g10 (228 speed)
RG g9 (136 speed)
Boba g10 (184 speed)

Highest ranking in arena I ever obtained was 69, but there are days where I will drop from the 70-80 range all the way down to the 150s. My goal is to be consistently in the top 50 in arena.

I have some ok mods. Still trying to make my toons faster.. But how should I go from here? I can either go full empire, where I gear, level and mod Deathtrooper and/or Krennic and add them/farm them when available F2P. OR I can start gearing and leveling my Nihlius and 5* maul, zeta him, then run a team of Zeta Maul, EP, DN, Vader and zeta kylo (ideally). OR I can hope that the meta coming in the fall/winter will be resistance or first order and just go all out on those teams. What do you think will make me most competitive?

THANKS FOR THE HELP! YOU ALL ROCK!

P.S. I have Zader, used mostly for raids. I have 20 zetas in my pocket right now, where I was thinking of zetaing g9, almost g10 kylo, or I can wait to use it for the right toon for my arena squad. Also currently working on GK, which will be thrusted into my arena team immediately once I have him (in 2 months haha).

Replies

• War
    932 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Your characters are simply too slow, the composition itself isn't too bad if just wanting top 50. DT would make a fine addition, but Krennic not so much. I run Zrennic, but it's not the greatest on defense, which is why I end my final fight with my Zader team.

Not sure who DT would replace though. With Zrennic lead I was able to drop Vader and never ran Boba to begin with. But Boba is a really good with that AoE Ability Block, and can dispel buffs with his execute. Boba would be the one to replace, but I'm just not seeing DT as good enough to replace Boba in that composition.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    I actually run the same team and have been doing better than I ever have. I think the smallest change you could make that would vastly improve your team would be to replace RG with Shoretrooper. RG's debuffs aren't very helpful since you have toons that inflict AOE stun and speed down and RG's autotaunt is nothing compared to Shore's. I understand if you dont have shore or the means to farm him (i know i dont), but thats my advice for an easy fix without completely overhauling your team.
  • Options
    I would split the difference and work on Nihilus instead of Deathtrooper for a mostly empire team. He won't get the amazing tm gain under an EP lead, but he would easily replace Boba under a Zader lead and make the switch to Sith in the future easier if you need to go that route. I don't think Phoenix squad is going to be able to dislodge Zaul from the meta, and I think their ships are what comes after them, so Sith will likely be useful for some time.

And for sure you need much faster mods. I would advise to keep ~5m credits on hand at all times and try to check your mod shipments each of the four natural refeshes every day if possible.
  • Options
    If it were me, I'd throw Sidious in instead of Royal Guard.

But ,my bracket is different than yours I'm sure.
  • Options
    The zaul team would work best I think...
    The advantage is that zaul will give you a speed boost, stealth your toons, give them crit immunity and evasion as well as advantage... so speed is less of s determining factor and rng takes a bigger role so you can beat stronger and faster teams.
    I have been running a z maul team for 2 months and been doing great in arena since then.
    You can lookup my profile on swgoh
  • Options
    Here's how I would beat your team.
    (zeta or not) Jyn lead Chaze Wiggs
    Chirrut applies tenacity up first (speed mods)
    allow Boba/TFP to AoE and fail
    Jyn steals tm from EP
    Jyn gives Chirrut advantage from her rebel counterattack
    Chirrut and Baze kill Boba
    Boba revives
    wiggs 1-shots boba
    team then picks off TFP, vader and EP, immune to debuffs. Owing to Chirrut's speed, the characters are always under tenacity up.

Only way to fight such tenacity up teams would be to allow TFP to go before Chirrut, which is quite easy with decent mods.
    Personally, key is speed primaries/secondaries.
  • Options
    Such rebel teams are a pain... for that i use b2... he removes the tenacity up, healing, taunt, etc very reliably and several times in a battle.
    With a zaul team you can evade attacks often and go into stealth with crit immunity when crit so it buys you loads of time and speed, although still important, becomes less of a deciding factor
  • Options
    @war and @UltimateSeaDog what speed should I be aiming for? For each character at least?

@DatBoi I would love to do shoretrooper.... but I still don't have him and haven't beat 9b. Once I do beat it, you bet I'm farming him!

@sjkerhfgdjhd and @Startomsto I will start working DN and maul. My ideal team would be zaul, EP, DN, zylo and GK. Hope for that someday and I hope I don't miss a meta working towards that. And I usually stay around 5 mil credits... but I just bought a mod for 3.7 mil haha

@Woodroward I will play with it! Can't hurt to mix it up. I have a g10 sidious

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will try some of these tips and will listen to others as well!
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Woodroward I will play with it! Can't hurt to mix it up. I have a g10 sidious

Right on. Yeah I saw you had a nicely geared Sidious, and I would totally play him over a less geared Red Guard myself. The Omegas on his basic (ignore defense) and AoE (adds a DoT and expose) are pretty beasty though, I would recommend those ASAP if you do use him.

Plus he is pretty quick.
  • Options
    No one knows what the next meta will be...
    I am farming first order and resistance now as i know they ll get more love closer to december... but there will be several metas by then i guess... i hope my sith keep me in top 10 untill then and that is also why i am gearing them all so i get max versatility from them :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys... just gonna go ahead and hit start getting Maul and DN up. I will be working at least he farming all my resistance and first order characters though so once I'm done with maul and DN, I can focus on those teams
  • Options
    I would farm B2 asap he will really help your team against any oponent you face, he is a massive tool to boost your rank instantly and he's viable at low gear and star levels. Also St Han can be good in that comp because he gives the slower characters that tm boost.