What's wrong with my zMaul squad?

Prev1
Olga
1333 posts Member
I made zmaul yesterday and lost 50 arena ranks. I just got my **** kicked by a jedi sqaud????
Into the trash it goes.

Replies

• Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    This is my old squad;
    EP-L
    QGJ
    Vader
    TFP
    Shore

This is my new squad;
    zMaul-L
    EP
    Vader
    Dooku
    Shore
  • Options
    I assume shore. He gives crt immunity basically destroys zaul lead
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Well they had yoda give their whole squad tenacity and foresight before i even get a turn and thats with the 20% tm bonus at the start.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Olga wrote: »
    Well they had yoda give their whole squad tenacity and foresight before i even get a turn and thats with the 20% tm bonus at the start.

Then you need speed mods and/or sith assassin
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna switch back to my old squad, this one sucks.
  • Options
    Make EP the fastest of you characters with zmaul lead, so you start the battle with a big stun :) What's the speed of your characters, if i may ask? :)
    SWGOH.gg profile - Our guild, 3720 to 1, has 1 spot open! [49/50].
  • DBane
    56 posts Member
    Options

Or you don't understand game mechanics like
    Lossberg wrote: »

:)
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    DBane wrote: »

Makes sense for the AI but I'm not even using that ability.

• Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Make EP the fastest of you characters with zmaul lead, so you start the battle with a big stun :) What's the speed of your characters, if i may ask? :)
    He is the fastest but Jedi squad started with AoE tencaity and Foresight.

• Options
    I made zmaul yesterday and lost 50 arena ranks. I just got my **** kicked by a jedi sqaud????
    Into the trash it goes.

You kinda want TFP in, get rid of dooku or vader.

• Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah I miss my TFP. Thinking he might be more useful than Dooku.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    DBane wrote: »

Makes sense for the AI but I'm not even using that ability.

Your rank doesn't drop on offense, only on defense. So it doesn't matter which abilities you do or don't use.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    I just use the same squad for everything. But Maul's AoE daze doesn't even remove foresight. Thought he was meant to be good againt Jedi...
  • DBane
    56 posts Member
    Options
    Nightlores wrote: »
    Into the trash it goes.

You kinda want TFP in, get rid of dooku or vader.

Vader is totally fine here. The problem is dooku as he is only viable with his zeta. Consider to pick Nihilus against Zqgj. Saw some awesome plays with Zaul + Palp + Vader + Zihilus + Zidious/SA (depends on your overall squad speed)
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    Options
    It happens to me every time... Got a new shiny team, try it out, it's a disaster. It takes a few tries to get the mods and play right (e.g. who needs to go first, etc).

Also, sadly you're not the first Maulz in your Arena I guess, so others have already built their teams to counter it.

The Maulz team that gives me headaches has Boba, GK, Dooku and EP. The others I can usually deal with (especially with Vader, he's not that great without his zeta-lead). I'm also dead meat against some of the Jedi team, when they manage to get enough punch.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, that last fight was 3 Jedi + wiggs (the one where the AoE didn't remove foresight). I tried again with my old squad and destroyed it. I'll try switching out Dooku for TFP, what do you think about Shore? My nihilus is only G7 atm.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Tiggus wrote: »
    Also, sadly you're not the first Maulz in your Arena I guess, so others have already built their teams to counter it.
    Yeah, could be part of it.
  • Options
    B2 helps a lot against squads who have 'Tenacity up'. I run zMaul, EP, zSavage as my core squad, then I sub in B2, zBoba or K2SO depending on the opponent their squad. When facing a QGJ lead jedi squad I use B2 and K2SO.
    SWGOH.gg profile - Our guild, 3720 to 1, has 1 spot open! [49/50].
  • Options
    Mods are the difference buddy
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    So does that mean that Zaul is pretty much useless without top-tier speed secondaries? Should have known before I dropped that zeta on him...
  • Options
    This is my old squad;
    EP-L
    QGJ
    Vader
    TFP
    Shore

This is my new squad;
    zMaul-L
    EP
    Vader
    Dooku
    Shore

Swap out Dooku for Sid. Get Sid faster than EP. Out of the gate use Sid's AoE to remove the foresight on all the Jedis. Then use EP's AoE. I found this a useful tactic but I had Nihilus in there using Drain Force next.

But they need speed.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Drop in B2 for shore.

Nihilus or Sunfec can help too.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ugh, didn't really wanna use Sid because of how much gear he needs... I guess it's an option though, I can get him to G10 in a day or two i guess. I'd probably rather gear Nihilus, I'm tempted to get him to 4* in shipments.
  • Options
    Maul team will require REALLY good mods to be good on Defence.

If you have 5 set of mod with 100 speed on each, your zaul team will be almost undefeat-able
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah I still need a bunch more speed mods for sure, but i'm not exactly competing for top 20 atm.
  • Options
    You need Sith Assassin to get ahead of zJinn with Yoda. Also, zJinn Jedi comps can whip zDM comps on offense as well even with Sith Assassin. Top-end Jedi comps are very good. Drop Shore for Sith Assassin. She will give your Sith first turn and you don't need insane speed mods on her to get that.

• Options
    Into the trash it goes.

Haha had the same yesterday.. Usually top 10 and yesterday i woke up 115 .. I bet they fused shards or something
  • Options
    (1) Your squad comp isn't optimal. Not only does Shore provide crit immunity, but his auto-taunt is useless because he is the only non-sith. (2) Mods. No reason an enemy team should be going before you with the Maul speed boost.
  • Options
    Throw B2 and tie in there and it should help, dooku sucks unless your a low level DN team.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Wasn't really planning on farming B2 at this point, but it seems like it might be the best way to go. I guess TFP can replace Dooku, not sure what to replace Shore with atm. Some tanky alternative to B2, i guess. I have STH but I have a feeling he will be a waste of time at this point.