Current Phoenix Review The Good The Bad & The Ugly

Smithie
1427 posts Member
https://youtu.be/LSTIb0eljxo

Today I am reveiwing the Phoenix Squad and going over their synergy as a team with the fashion of

The Good
The Bad
The Ugly

What is your thoughts?

Replies

• Options
    That's cool i like phoenix very much but i'm waiting to gear some of them because they are really gear hungry (kanan and zeb)

Who would you drop for sabine?

Great vids,

Thank you

• RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    I just gotta say, LOL at the intro. well done.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    Options
    Smithie wrote: »

Today I am reveiwing the Phoenix Squad and going over their synergy as a team with the fashion of

The Good
    The Bad
    The Ugly

What is your thoughts?

Good review and vid as always smithie.

And I was right on the money with theory crafting about how Phoenix would struggle against zaul

I agree with pretty much every single thing you said, Sabine will bring some life into the team and give it some extra elbow grease to put in work but I don't believe they were going to be the new meta as a lot of people thought
  • Smithie
    1427 posts Member
    Options
    GabrHell wrote: »
    That's cool i like phoenix very much but i'm waiting to gear some of them because they are really gear hungry (kanan and zeb)

Who would you drop for sabine?

Great vids,

Thank you

Chooper I would say
  • Options
    Not being a smart alec, I like all your videos, but why did you do this video before Sabine's release? I feel like it's almost obsolete, which is why I haven't watched this one yet so apologies if you acknowledge this. Again, honest question from a fan of the channel.
    Ooba hutar.
  • Smithie
    1427 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    xReDeMpx wrote: »
    Smithie wrote: »

The Good
    The Bad
    The Ugly

What is your thoughts?

Good review and vid as always smithie.

And I was right on the money with theory crafting about how Phoenix would struggle against zaul

I agree with pretty much every single thing you said, Sabine will bring some life into the team and give it some extra elbow grease to put in work but I don't believe they were going to be the new meta as a lot of people thought

If Nihilus wasnt around they could of been but its not too difficult to punch through them if you got the right tools just depends how deep your roster goes.

The mechanics are far too complicated for the AI to use. Ezra's assist special needs to be selected on Sabine, Hera's Revive on Kanan. When the AI differs from this and say Hera selects the most tank and long living Zeb it just wastes the ability.

The AI is generally bad with teams that have complicated abilities. This is why Maul Nihilus Rex etc work well because its simple for the AI to command.

Plus the AI attacks multiple targets instead of just attacking one target.
    Wiggs worked so well for so long because they could just kill one target from one ability.

Any team under the current AI that has characters that have multiple abilites that has to allow the AI to choose who to call will always be bad on defense
  • Options
    I think as a whole could be useful in the tank raid, other than that too many counters to this team overall.
    I mentioned on Reddit no way would I invest in this squad and feel strongly about it.
    It looks like it could be a fun little squad but this is a resource game and to dump them in that squad seems frivolous.
    Great video love the
  • Options
    Love the Superman references, fitting and funny.
  • coeuss
    216 posts Member
    Options
    Great review, as usual
  • Smithie
    1427 posts Member
    Options
    Robertdd1 wrote: »
    I think as a whole could be useful in the tank raid, other than that too many counters to this team overall.
    I mentioned on Reddit no way would I invest in this squad and feel strongly about it.
    It looks like it could be a fun little squad but this is a resource game and to dump them in that squad seems frivolous.
    Great video love the

In the HAAT I got footage of them without Sabine 1.2 million I would say from watching it Chooper and Kanan has to go they are not needed and replace with Zeta Kylo and Sabine.

Probably looking at 3-4+ million like FO
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options
    Nice video! The intro was hilarious
  • Options
    That's the problem Smithie so they could possibly do 3-4 million but you need to sub in Zylo Ren (I have). And why wouldn't I go for a First Order squad instead, of this Phoenix squad? First Order more viable in arena also, let's get thru this month and quickly forget about Phoenix squad. Lol.
    Plus they recently released some great siths and DT and Krennic from before all light years better than them, so would rather gear them up.
  • Options
    Cg will be disappointed in the $$ outcome.
  • Options
    Not being a smart alec, I like all your videos, but why did you do this video before Sabine's release? I feel like it's almost obsolete, which is why I haven't watched this one yet so apologies if you acknowledge this. Again, honest question from a fan of the channel.

I find it very helpful and it confirms a lot. There's a lot more data here with 5/6 PX members in action than had this video not been done. Sabine will add some punch no question, but This will remain a moderate to lower damage squad that lacks many top-flight arena skill in their toolkit that really needs the human vs. AI advantage to get wins.

@Smithie - greatly appreciated. You took time to provide information to others. Love the unbiased analysis - it's not a fluff video for Phoenix - it's a fair representation.

I'm sure we will get videos of full PX beating meta squads with Sabine, but as to your point about the AI using this complex squad, they will likely get chewed up in arena as a D slot. They remind me a bit of a better version of the Ewok squads when Chirpa first came out. Tactical team - needed to be human driven and targeting decisions were critical, could win vs. some meta teams on offense, but just got slaughtered on D and really weren't viable for arena. these guys should do better than the ewoks, but I can't see them being a better option than the D slots currently available.
  • Options
    Great vid. And I concur with everyone here great intro.
  • Options
    These guys are going to be completely held back by the fact that we had a Rebel meta for so long. It took the devs adding a large amount of hard-counters to Rebels to finally end it, and that means that any new rebel toons are going to suffer in arena. Any time they go against an Empire or Sith team, they're likely going to get destroyed. Sabine could maybe change that, but I don't think it's likely with her kit. She'll help, but it's not going to be enough.

I am definitely interested to see how they do in the raids, though. Especially in tank, their kits could easily lead to another team that can happily reach enrage with full health.
  • Options
    Great video! Loved thriller Spider-Man!
  • Smithie
    1427 posts Member
    Options

I find it very helpful and it confirms a lot. There's a lot more data here with 5/6 PX members in action than had this video not been done. Sabine will add some punch no question, but This will remain a moderate to lower damage squad that lacks many top-flight arena skill in their toolkit that really needs the human vs. AI advantage to get wins.

@Smithie - greatly appreciated. You took time to provide information to others. Love the unbiased analysis - it's not a fluff video for Phoenix - it's a fair representation.

I'm sure we will get videos of full PX beating meta squads with Sabine, but as to your point about the AI using this complex squad, they will likely get chewed up in arena as a D slot. They remind me a bit of a better version of the Ewok squads when Chirpa first came out. Tactical team - needed to be human driven and targeting decisions were critical, could win vs. some meta teams on offense, but just got slaughtered on D and really weren't viable for arena. these guys should do better than the ewoks, but I can't see them being a better option than the D slots currently available.

Thanks buddy and well said
  • Options
    Phoenix needs Sabine Ezra and Hera in order to provide a significant attack power. Using 3 tanks has usually never been a good idea unless you are nesting one powerhouse inside of them. Please hold your breathe for analysis until Sabine comes out.
  • MadMalgusReturns
    670 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You guys are forgetting about the two ships Phoenix is getting this month. While the squad is good (not meta thanks to Nihilus) I would bet that their ships are going to be overpowered. Phoenix is probably one of the toughest squads to kill without nihilus. You can auto all of gw with them and come out will full prot and health. But they are lacking a group cleanser and that really hurts them. I think Sabine will make them another one of those "can win on offense but not the greatest defense" teams. Zaul and Rex will be top arena teams for a long time. And thanks to the one hit ko wonder that is Nihilus, he will be in almost every serious arena team for a long time
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    Options
    You guys are forgetting about the two ships Phoenix is getting this month. While the squad is good (not meta thanks to Nihilus) I would bet that their ships are going to be overpowered. Phoenix is probably one of the toughest squads to kill without nihilus. You can auto all of gw with them and come out will full prot and health. But they are lacking a group cleanser and that really hurts them. I think Sabine will make them another one of those "can win on offense but not the greatest defense" teams. Zaul and Rex will be top arena teams for a long time. And thanks to the one hit ko wonder that is Nihilus, he will be in almost every serious arena team for a long time

I still remember when the new sith toons kits were released a lot of people thought nihilus was only going to be so so and sith assasin had a lot of the attention.

As you said nihilus will be around for along time and just has a lot of plug and play potential like chaze. You can throw them in near anytime and come out with positive effects
  • Options
    Gonna touch on the insane chopper taunt/evasion under an evasion lead? He's....Amazing.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Options
    JinSaotome wrote: »
    Gonna touch on the insane chopper taunt/evasion under an evasion lead? He's....Amazing.

Interesting
  • Options
    Hahaha the intro is brilliant!
  • Options
    Thanks Smithie.
    Your channel is the best!