Want to balance arena and sell more crystals? Lock gear/levels behind stars

Prev134
JinSaotome
682 posts Member
edited April 2017
My 7* K2SO was doing pretty well in arena. He was my amazing tank and coupled with ig100 it allowed me to take #1 for many weeks in a row. That was before General Kenobi started showing up. Suddenly I was dealing with this 60k prot 30k health 5* monster. Then I unlocked him. Suddenly my droids were back at the top again with retribution, crit avoidance, etc.

That got me thinking, how many times is the 'meta' turned upside down because of a low star character that's immediately viable in arena? I remember unlocking Jawa engineer and immediately getting him to gear 9. The arena was my oyster and it was a struggle to remember to fight those 3 battles every day because I didn't budge from the top for so long. And all because of a 4* fully levelled, fully geared character. The same happened when Biggs and Wedge came out. A 4* Bazzle/Churro combo can wreak havoc for a 7* opponents team and a 3* Sith assassin breaks the entire playing field open for Zaul.

My proposal is this, lock gear and/or level behind stars. As gear is tied to level you may just need to lock that up. Only 5*? Then you can't level past 65. Or gear 9. I know the level cap keeps rising so this formula needs to be worked out. But it basically amounts to players having to work to make their characters usuable.

EA, you'll see people buying shards in the shop and refreshes to farm more. Those packs will be far more valuable if the game requires you to have your character starred up in order to survive. And people will be proud of their 7* characters instead of seeing everyone with the same unlocked 4* toon wreaking havoc on the meta because of their gear 11 protection.
"When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
Post edited by BentWookiee on

Replies

• Options
    Got killed plz nerf
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Options
    Got killed plz nerf
    False

I agree with this, stars a very useless currently.
    Stars should help with speed and protection.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    They might as well just add a feature that allows you to make your characters invincible if you have spent $500 more and at least 2x as much overall as your opponent.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
  • Options
    No, stars are for health and unlocking events and raids nothing else and this shouldn't be changed.
  • Options
    This should be sent to the island of bad ideas.

Whales have enough advantages already. Some toons being viable sub 7* is healthy.
  • Options
    Got killed plz nerf

Spoken like an entitled metababby. You sound like the type of person who complains about the additional chopper tiers because they don't give out some sort of amazing reward every time.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    so you feel like it's a bad thing that the meta gets turned upside down?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    So neuter FTP player and make all the new character useless until you shell out $400+, Great idea!
  • Options
    OP, you sir/ma'am win dumbest post ever. So you want to have a giant paywall? Enjoy being very lonely playing this game if your suggestion is implemented.
  • lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Supercat wrote: »
    Got killed plz nerf
    False
    TRUE. Motive: got killed by low star opponents, doesn't want to get killed by low star opponents anymore, plz give me advantage over low star opponents.
    They grant admission to gated content like raids and events. They raise ship power.
    Yeah........

Got killed plz nerf.
  • Buffems
    178 posts Member
    Options
    Most likely, people will just stop playing the game. If you are getting beat by a with less than 7*s, your​ team just isn't good and you should work on a new one or fix the mods on current team. This game is just fine the way it is and the devs should just keep doing what they are doing. Great job to the devs.
  • lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JinSaotome wrote: »
    Got killed plz nerf

Spoken like an entitled metababby. You sound like the type of person who complains about the additional chopper tiers because they don't give out some sort of amazing reward every time.
    Entitled? You're the one requesting a patch that you believe will give you a boost. :D
  • Buffems
    178 posts Member
    Options
    Truth is there isn't one team that can beat every other team up, that's why there is so many characters, so you can make several different teams. If one team does work try another.
    To the devs. Don't change a thing. The game is great the way it is.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    To no surprise, my current team is running 3 characters who are not 7*. Krennic, DT, and SHT, for obvious reasons. So you want to nerf my team, because your team is racking up some losses? Where's the balance in that?
  • Dreislao
    380 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So the op by their own admission held top spot for weeks then lost it and now wants it changed? Dear oh dear...
    I fight the good fight
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Options
    Got killed plz nerf
    False
    TRUE. Motive: got killed by low star opponents, doesn't want to get killed by low star opponents anymore, plz give me advantage over low star opponents.
    They grant admission to gated content like raids and events. They raise ship power.
    Yeah........

Got killed plz nerf.

I've never lost to a team with lower stars than mine.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    Half the people who commented on the thread didn't even bother reading what OP wrote..
    I actually agree with this statement. Stars are pretty much next to useless as of now unless you want to use the character in a raid. A 3 star toon is pretty much as strong as a 7 star toon at the same level and gear. Stars should be more important than just using them for raids...
  • Sith1
    314 posts Member
    Options
    Not again
  • War
    932 posts Member
    Options
    Half the people who commented on the thread didn't even bother reading what OP wrote..
    I actually agree with this statement. Stars are pretty much next to useless as of now unless you want to use the character in a raid. A 3 star toon is pretty much as strong as a 7 star toon at the same level and gear. Stars should be more important than just using them for raids...

Important enough lower Starred toons shouldn't be viable? I can't bring my Krennic, DT, and SHT into raids, that's a big enough handicap already. Plus stars play a huge role for ships, just not as big a role in arena anymore.
  • Options
    I've never lost to a team with lower stars than mine.
    Well the OP did lose to teams with lower stars than his. If you bothered to read his post, you wouldn't have claimed that my summary was false.
  • Options
    I would hate this, but I actually think from a revenue perspective it makes a ton of sense and I'm surprised it doesn't work this way already.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    This would bring a quick death to the game, f2p would be so far behind the curve due to toons being unusable and then when you get them to a usable place they will be behind the next round of toons.

Other things that will reduce income from this idea.
    - cheap packs like the phoenix ones.
    - all the micro transactions of people lvling all the toon to 4*, (like the sith for example )
    - gear, why would I buy gear for a toon I can't use this would pace my gear to a point that I could get it for free from arena

There are many changes they could use to increase sales, but most of them involve the lowing of prices to increase quantity.

Your suggestion would make people who might spend not because just like the current price per toon it will price people out but even earlier.

This would also have an unexpected effect on the freemium model which thrives on impulse buys. Mid range spenders wouldn't have pressure to purchase because it's such an all or nothing it's too obvious the vast cost to benefit ratio. And no use unless you go all in.

Stars get you access and health and that's the way it should be.
  • Options
    Funny I haven't seen you as an option to attack in weeks. Probably cause I'm in first with some others and you dropped to 40th
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Jim17547 wrote: »
    Funny I haven't seen you as an option to attack in weeks. Probably cause I'm in first with some others and you dropped to 40th

And that's what the kids call a "no scope"
  • JinSaotome
    682 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's a shame a large number of the people replying here didn't bother to read my post. Iv'e enjoyed the destructive power of a 4* jawa engineer and a 5* GK has kept me in the top. It's not fair to others, this raw low-star power that's making gamebreaking teams instantly viable. I would rather have worked my way up to #1 as I starred up JE than instantly rose and held that spot when I unlocked him.

A slower pace means longer QoL. Here people instantly gear up and get bored of their characters. You can see it in the replies. "Waaah it'll be a paywall, waaah it'll destroy the game, waaah op wants to be #1 again". Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm finally enjoying battling my way into the top 20 again! With my 5* GK I can crush teams I normally couldn't touch with my 7* K2.

I don't struggle because of opponents character star level, rather RNG dodges/stealth/insane TM. I found I can beat a 7* Zaul team just as easy as I can one with less stars. It all depends if B2 can land ability block on Maul or Emperor. That's it. But I SHOULDN'T be able to stay in the 20's with just a 5* GK being the factor. Just like I shouldn't have been able to use JE at Max gear and Max level the moment I unlocked him.
  • The0n3
    984 posts Member
    Options
    I cast you out!!!
  • Options
    Jim17547 wrote: »

Yeah, instead of being a follower and making a cookie cutter Zaul/GK team I decided to stick to droids and actually feel like I'm accomplishing something when I win a match. I have 60 zetas, Maul waiting to be unlocked, and gear 11 Palp, Vader, Dooku, etc etc. But I follow a different path.
  • Options
    As many have said this is a terrible idea. Trust me if they do this you'll never sniff first place. Only whales will.
  • Options
    OP is a droid apologist. I remember a thread once by some guy with 7s in his name that claimed droids were the best and his team couldnt lose. Now droids are owned by many comps and the last droid squad on my server cannot often break into top 20 where b4 he got 1st at his payout. His roster is very limited, almost only droids. These droid players seem to invest in only those toons, ignore all others, then when meta finally leaves them behind the QQs come.