Question - Managing HAAT

Mav216
27 posts Member
edited April 2017
Need to solicit some advice on the different ways you run HAAT to keep all your members happy.

When we first started HAAT, we barely beat it, and as a result announced to the guild to work on their raid teams, specifically in phases 2 and 3 where we were weak. Some of us already had phase 2 and 3 teams and built 2nd teams. Others were content to be carried and didn't put all their resources into raid teams. Fast forward to today and we are now destroying HAAT.

Currently we have very little rules in place when the raid starts. Our members are limited to 1 team in p1,2 teams in p2 and p3 and 1 team in p4. Some of our members now have 6 fully maxed meta teams while others still only have 3 or 4. We destroy the raid in less than a day causing some of our members to complain that they weren't able to get attempts in on some phases pushing them down the rankings.

The future is laid out in front of us. We see the writing on the wall. This issue is only going to get worse. Right now there is a divide between our top members and those that finish lower (more teams vs less teams). Both sides have valid arguments. The top allowed us to beat HAAT in the first place and farmed extra teams to make it easier. They should be allowed to use those extra teams and also it's not their fault the ones finishing lower didn't work on their teams as hard. But the bottom argues that we are now too strong with individual meta teams and are killing phases way too fast to give everyone a chance at the phase.

File this under good problems to have, but still it's a problem. How do we appease both sides? Do we need to make start times for each phase? How do the top whale guilds do it where the 50th ranked person still has a really great roster?
Post edited by BentWookiee on

Replies

• Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Options
    One of our guilds does starts at intervals

For example

Launch at 5pm. One turn each for p1.

P2 hits start 10pm same day

P3 starts next morning 9am. I think still 2 hits but maybe one is better when more advanced

P4 24 hours after launch.

Nothing great but atleast gives people times to plan around.
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Options
    The whaliest guilds just go full Zerg. Done in an hour.
  • Options
    Asic wrote: »

For example

P3 starts next morning 9am. I think still 2 hits but maybe one is better when more advanced

Thanks Asic! So then is everyone happy with this system or do people just deal with it and have already adjusted their schedule to the raid? We've tried to discuss a schedule but the problem seems to be coming to an agreement on when those times should be. Spread out across too many timezones
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Not a whale, not sure if I should reply
  • Options
    Some guilds do a safety period of 12-24 hours but that doesn't help your guys at the bottom.

Only other real option is to split your guild and form a family. Merge with some smaller haat ready guild and carry their lowbies using their heavies to ensure both guilds are getting kills.
  • Mav216
    27 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

More of an attention-grabbing headline than a prerequisite for feedback :)

I'd be interested to hear how anyone does it if they have 50 members that participate (and competitively)
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Options
    Mav216 wrote: »

For example

Thanks Asic! So then is everyone happy with this system or do people just deal with it and have already adjusted their schedule to the raid? We've tried to discuss a schedule but the problem seems to be coming to an agreement on when those times should be. Spread out across too many timezones

First rule of management - if everyone is happy you are doing something wrong. If no one is happy you are doing great. So it's been going well atleast.

You just gotta commit and maybe switch up times each time. Totally depends on your guild and how well people follow rules. We tend to like fixed times so people can work around real life schedules.

• Options
    Generic wrote: »
    Some guilds do a safety period of 12-24 hours but that doesn't help your guys at the bottom.

Only other real option is to split your guild and form a family. Merge with some smaller haat ready guild and carry their lowbies using their heavies to ensure both guilds are getting kills.

We do have a sister guild that does NAAT but when we floated the idea of dividing the guild (but obviously keeping everyone in discord), no one wanted to do it. Additionally the sister guild doesn't seem super motivated to start HAAT. I think they enjoy being casual.
  • Mav216
    27 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    First rule of management - if everyone is happy you are doing something wrong. If no one is happy you are doing great. So it's been going well atleast.

You just gotta commit and maybe switch up times each time. Totally depends on your guild and how well people follow rules. We tend to like fixed times so people can work around real life schedules.

Haha this is true. A rotating schedule of times just sounds like we are asking for trouble vs a fixed schedule. I suppose we could use the guild message to display the raid start times in case Discord is not checked
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Mav216 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

More of an attention-grabbing headline than a prerequisite for feedback :)

I'd be interested to hear how anyone does it if they have 50 members that participate (and competitively)

:smile:

We start at a programmed time, let everyone crush it and stop at p4. Then finish p4 the next day.

We have an international guild so this allows everyone to hit p1-p3 before our European memebers to hit and go to bed and not have to worry about p4 finishing too late for them.

About a 2 hour run and we almost always get all 50 in. If not they hit p4.
  • Options
    we launch the raid and have a 24hr preloading period to post a zero (send in one toon, your weakest to get killed thus posting 0 damage) this guarantees everyone will get rewards. In 24 hours we open the raid for Free for All and who ever is online gets to attack until its dead or you're out of toons. But at least everyone gets shards and gear if they miss. Depending on participation the raid will last 2-4 hours sometimes longer on the weekend.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This is how we do it
    P1 and 2: 1 attack on each
    P3: FFA, if P3 is done post a zero score
    P4: 1 attack after the raid timer is below 23:59
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection