A fresh new concept for droids and bounty hunters

Spyda
318 posts Member
I've only been playing the game for a little over a month now and I'm really enjoying it. I especially like the concept of leaders and how they encourage different squad formations.

The Problem:
For Rebels, Empire, and a number of other factions you can choose from any number of leaders and customize a squad specifically for whichever battle that you intend to put them in, pulling from a large pool of potential candidates that will benefit from that leader's abilities. However other factions are abysmally underrepresented (*cough cough Nightsisters) which leaves very little or no room for customization. Generally this means that you have to pull in outsiders which significantly diminishes the usefulness of your leader (often to a point that they're no longer useful as a leader), or you stick with the only 5 members of that faction that exist in the game and your team as a whole is left with vulnerabilities that render them mostly unusable outside of the specific situations that they excel in.

Unfortunately this means that a lot of factions that players would love to use become completely unrepresented in PvP and/or raids and then eventually fall into complete disuse under the 'I hope these toons get revamped someday' category.

Possible Solution:
I feel like one possible solution to this problem (other then introducing a bunch of new characters to each of those factions) would be to give droids and bounty hunters a special tag that would let them benefit from any squad leader that they're placed under. After all, a droid's faction is easily changed with it's programming, and a bounty hunters allegiance typically belongs to the highest bidder right? This would allow players at least 'some' options to customize their teams and fill in the vulnerabilities that their faction might otherwise have, without hampering the effectiveness of their chosen leader.

What do y'all think? Would such a change provide added value or do you feel that things are better left just the way they are? Perhaps an alternative solution would be better?

Replies

• Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options
    I like your ideas. The bounty hunter part makes perfect sense. The droid part does too, but you don't see grevious or chopper getting reprogrammed; there will have to be acceptions. Either way, this is a great concept.
  • Spyda
    318 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Georgemi6 wrote: »
    I like your ideas. The bounty hunter part makes perfect sense. The droid part does too, but you don't see grevious or chopper getting reprogrammed; there will have to be acceptions. Either way, this is a great concept.

Well technically General Grevious is a Cyborg not a droid (meaning that he is actually a human with cybernetic implants), so yes, he would be the exception. However for a short time Chopper actually was reprogrammed to serve the empire during one of the more recent episodes of Rebels session 3. (Hera was none to happy about it either). And if my memory serves me right, even R2D2 was reprogrammed during an episode of Clone Wars to serve another faction.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    Options
    Might be kind of broken if Hera's leader could work with all of them but it is a cool concept
  • Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Georgemi6 wrote: »
    Well technically General Grevious is a Cyborg not a droid (meaning that he is actually a humanoid* (a Kaleesh) with cybernetic implants), so yes, he would be the exception.

https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • Arkham
    275 posts Member
    Options
    I've thought that Jawas, Tusken, and Gamorrean should be rolled together into "Desert Dwellers". Throw in Nightsisters and Ewoks, and you can call them Indigenous.

Ugnaught should count as a Jawa (and be included in the above).

CUP and Lobot should count as droids.

Clones should be expanded to Troopers, and include stormtrooper, snowtrooper, FO stormtrooper, etc.
    Enthusiast of undervalued toons, general dismisser of trends,
    https://swgoh.gg/u/arkham/, A Team
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    I feel like the whole "Highest Bidder" thing could be a unique for a/some bounty hunter(s). That'd be interesting if they got like half of the actual factions bonuses if it was faction specific, but it wouldn't get any unique qualities (Like Darth Maul's stealth or Hera's shared uniques or the special aspects of GK's leader and the like), they would just receive the raw stat buffs etc. Might be hard to do, and potentially OP, but also fun.

As for the droids, most of the droids in this game had their own thoughts/motives. Like Ig-88 basically escaped his programming, and HK-47 has his own thoughts. GG isn't really a full droid etc. It would be too hard to make that realistic with all those things in mind and I also think it just wouldn't fit that well.
  • CK_3030
    177 posts Member
    Options
    Really like these ideas. Another one I'd add, which I'm sure has been said many times, is that Jedi should be included within Rex's and Cody's leadership abilities. Since they fought side by side they shouldn't be considered just as "other allies" and only receive half.
  • Options
    Arkham wrote: »
    I've thought that Jawas, Tusken, and Gamorrean should be rolled together into "Desert Dwellers". Throw in Nightsisters and Ewoks, and you can call them Indigenous.

Ugnaught should count as a Jawa (and be included in the above).

CUP and Lobot should count as droids.

Clones should be expanded to Troopers, and include stormtrooper, snowtrooper, FO stormtrooper, etc.

On behalf of clone users, hard pass. We'll wait patiently for new clone options ;)
  • Options
    I really love the Bounty Hunter idea. It would really suck to have a Boba Fett getting stealth under a Sith team though. Speaking of Bounty Hunters, can't wait for Bossk, Zuckuss and 4-LOM to be released as the next meta team.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    No you can't have Boba Fett get 20% starting tm, stealth and tm on dodge and crit immunity while stealthed.
  • Options
    cool idea, but there would be some extremely OP synergies as a result of it
  • Options
    Super duper synergies...Heheheh. If you think HK's +50 TM is bad just wait till you have a Rex lead that gives the full amount of TM to droids when someone crits K2SO....Yikes.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    scuba wrote: »
    No you can't have Boba Fett get 20% starting tm, stealth and tm on dodge and crit immunity while stealthed.

You ruin all the fun.

This wouldn't really fit for bounty hunters as they are hired to get a job done, but they do it their way so wouldn't really use a different leaders ability, but could get some general faction bonus under a leader of that faction.

As for droids, maybe to help balance things they would have a different skill set depending on the faction they are aligned with.