Ship Omegas In the New $10 Packs

Nikoms565
14242 posts Member
edited April 2017
As the title suggests - the two new packs have 8 ship omegas. These are not, to my knowledge, available anywhere else in the game. The thing that is odd about that is the precedent. This might be the first time I can remember where an upgrade ability (gear, mat, etc) is behind a pay wall. Sure, there have been characters or ships before - but this is different. Not sure I'm a fan. This is like letting f2p players get a character to 6* - but then making them pay $10 for the 7th.

Thoughts?
In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
*This space left intentionally blank*

Replies

• Options
    I don't think any of the ship omega upgrades are game breaking. So this shouldn't matter too much.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Ben_kenobi wrote: »
    I don't think any of the ship omega upgrades are game breaking. So this shouldn't matter too much.

Neither is a 7th star. But a ship omega is a clear and distinct advantage that is completely unobtainable for f2p players. Again, this is different from unique character.

I'm not f2p - I just think this is an odd choice (again, precedent) by CG/EA. It seems to be a shift away from buying a chance at an advantage or buying a temporary advantage. Just not sure if I like it...and what it could lead to.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Options
    If you click on the ship omega in the pack, it says you will get one per day for completing daily activities. Didn't see that in the notes, so don't know when that is starting.
  • Options
    I agree with you here @Nikoms565 . It seems an odd choice to offer the ship omegas in the Phoenix ship packs. While I personally bought them (for the actual ship shards, the omegas were icing on the cake), it seems odd to gate upgrade materials behind the pay wall.

The current omegas for ships aren't game changing. Most of them seem to be an extra 5-10% damage or protection or TM gain, it is definitely something they haven't done before (unless it becomes precrafting 4.0) and, if other ships come out, could actually offer a big advantage to p2p.

I'm not sold yet on whether it is a good or bad thing. On the one hand, it isn't a huge advantage right now (and spenders do deserve an advantage) but on the other hand, it could easily change soon enough, with powerful ship omegas that f2p are gated from for however long.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    If you click on the ship omega in the pack, it says you will get one per day for completing daily activities. Didn't see that in the notes, so don't know when that is starting.

Maybe we will wait for tommorow's reset to see if that was simply not listed in the update. Pitchforks and torches back in the closet for the night then. Goodnight everyone. ;)

• Options
    I don't think the omegas are a huge deal, but I do think the ability to get the ll's and lll's long before everyone else is. If I just unlocked ships on a new shard, I would see those as a huge advantage to secure a top spot in ship arena for cheap.
  • Options
    I never saw a ship omega in my daily drop. Did anyone else ?
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    I never saw a ship omega in my daily drop. Did anyone else ?

No, they're not there.

• Options
    lol nice catch. Wouldn't surprice me its put in by accident. 5% more damage (or so) won't win a battle tho.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    It's odd and would not be a fan if the pay source was unlimited, but they can only get 16, which I believe is only enough to do 1 ship ability to lvl 7.

If it also unlocks soon from all players as part of the daily rewards I guess we don't have to burn anything down.
  • Manny415
    322 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The way I see it is that they release new content to p2w people 1st. So I'm guessing that there will be new content coming out soon that will give the ship omegas.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options

That is probably old text they didn't update. Used to say that when you clicked on ships omega in the ability screen

Image from 11/2016
    24rp23z.jpg