Is shoretrooper a good investment?

I hear a lot of mixed reviews of shoretrooper. Some say he's mediocre and others say he should be a staple toon for empire forms. How does he compare to the others and should I spend the time to farm him? I currently have him at 4* gear 6 and wanted to see what everyone thought before I go any further.

Replies

• Options
    You want to build an empire team? A must have then. Saves your EP from getting OHKO by wiggs, which some are still using in the top arena along with chaze and rex lead.

You don't need him when you have insane speed mod's (+15 up) on your whole squad. Although you won't out speed zaul squads.
  • Athusk
    348 posts Member
    Options
    I think Baze almost outclasses him in every way. That being said though, I still run shore since I geared him up more than I did Baze earlier on.

If I did have a choice however, I would choose to have waited and geared Baze.
  • Options
    He is vital in an empire arena team as he starts with a taunt. He is less expensive to farm than a let's say Baze as he is viable at 3* given his gigantic health and protection pool so you basically just need to activate it with 50 shards. I have it at 5* and it's not much of a difference versus 3*.

Mod him up with protection as primary and he reaches 40k protection very quickly.

Besides for Arena he doesn't have much use but for the last two battles in GW when you need to bring your best squad. Similarly to arena, he will pretty much receives all the attacks from the opponent, letting your other toons go untouched (unless for AoE attacks).

Baze is to my opinion the only comparable. He is also a PFP toon but a bit more of a multi-tasker as he will be useful in Tank Takedown. Again, Baze is more expensive and needs Chirrut to really shine, another toon that takes time and/or money to farm.

I have Shoretrooper in my arena and since, I am top 30 with great consistency. I guess people hate having to deal with pre-taunters and rather skip my team to face other similar teams in the case of rebels where RNG plays a bigger role.
  • Options
    Volcano wrote: »
    You want to build an empire team? A must have then. Saves your EP from getting OHKO by wiggs, which some are still using in the top arena along with chaze and rex lead.

You don't need him when you have insane speed mod's (+15 up) on your whole squad. Although you won't out speed zaul squads.

I think what I like most about him is that he can heal my empire toons and start taking all the hits if my squad is in a pinch. I just want to be sure he's not a did like stormtrooper is
  • Options
    I think it's depends on what you class as an investment. He is arguable the best tainted in the game but becoming less and less valuable in arena. If a veers/empire rework happens then he may be more valuable.

I'm farming him daily with 3 challenges in LS, I'm sure by the time I'm done then he won't be any type of meta.
  • Options
    He is vital in an empire arena team as he starts with a taunt. He is less expensive to farm than a let's say Baze as he is viable at 3* given his gigantic health and protection pool so you basically just need to activate it with 50 shards. I have it at 5* and it's not much of a difference versus 3*.

Mod him up with protection as primary and he reaches 40k protection very quickly.

Besides for Arena he doesn't have much use but for the last two battles in GW when you need to bring your best squad. Similarly to arena, he will pretty much receives all the attacks from the opponent, letting your other toons go untouched (unless for AoE attacks).

Baze is to my opinion the only comparable. He is also a PFP toon but a bit more of a multi-tasker as he will be useful in Tank Takedown. Again, Baze is more expensive and needs Chirrut to really shine, another toon that takes time and/or money to farm.

I have Shoretrooper in my arena and since, I am top 30 with great consistency. I guess people hate having to deal with pre-taunters and rather skip my team to face other similar teams in the case of rebels where RNG plays a bigger role.

Sweet that helps me feel better about shoretrooper :) I dunno if I'd use him in arena since I don't care for arena as much as most players but I'd definitely like to use him for finishing up the last stage of cantina and DS battles
  • Options
    I think it's depends on what you class as an investment. He is arguable the best tainted in the game but becoming less and less valuable in arena. If a veers/empire rework happens then he may be more valuable.

I'm farming him daily with 3 challenges in LS, I'm sure by the time I'm done then he won't be any type of meta.

I'm hoping for the empire rework too, I feel that aside from Vader and Palpatine that empire was pretty underwhelming. But I'm hoping that the new imperials coming out and a possible empire rework will make them shine
  • Options

Sweet that helps me feel better about shoretrooper :) I dunno if I'd use him in arena since I don't care for arena as much as most players but I'd definitely like to use him for finishing up the last stage of cantina and DS battles

EP lead (or Zader if you have zetas), Vader, Boba, Tie Fighter and Shore. That's a solid top 50 team in the arena.

The difference between 50 and top being the speed in your mods.
  • Options

EP lead (or Zader if you have zetas), Vader, Boba, Tie Fighter and Shore. That's a solid top 50 team in the arena.

The difference between 50 and top being the speed in your mods.

Will give that a shot, I can't farm zetas yet sadly but once I'm able to I will likely slap them onto Vader first
  • Options
    ST was the counter to fast Wiggs. Pre-taunt is no longer needed, auto-taunt is far superior. The heal is worthless, really the best benefit is the TM gain then maybe the crit immunity.

I'd chose Baze, GK or Sith Trooper over ST.
  • Options
    Shoretrooper was a gamechanger for me, granted it was months ago, but when I got him he really carried me in arena. He's since been less useful to me because of Sith Trooper (since I run primarily Sith now vs Empire). However, there's no denying that if you're serious about building an full-fledged Empire team that he's really key and his opening taunt is very useful as well. I also modded him with the max number of 23.5% protection primaries and he's just one giant damage sponge, and yes his ability to heal Empire allies is also helpful.

If you're not running an Empire team however, I'd still recommend Baze.
  • CK_3030
    177 posts Member
    Options
    Mine is only a 3* and g7 or 8 but still very much viable for GW. In certain situations he's very nice to have but I wouldn't call him a staple.
  • Options
    Shoretrooper works wonders for my team.

I run Emperor, Vader, TFP, Shoretrooper, and Boba. Once I got him star-ed up and leveled up I easily broke into the top 100 in Arena, which is no small feat considering I'm on a launch Shard.

Now I battle for top 50 every day (highest was 39). But almost everyone higher than me has at least on Zeta character, which I do not. (but that's changing as I finally got 3 stars on the Zeta challenge, 3/20 so far)

And I can beat some of the Zeta teams. So I would say yes, in an Empire team he's awesome.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • Ragnir
    118 posts Member
    Options
    Shore is great but in the long run baze is better.
  • Options
    Something else to add...people running ST means they don't have Baze, GK or Sith Trooper.
  • Options
    Something else to add...people running ST means they don't have Baze, GK or Sith Trooper.

I have ST .. and RG too ...
  • Options
    I will answer your question with a question.

Do you think they would put shoretrooper on the hardest node in the game, which is a 20 energy hard node farm, if he wasn't a great investment?

They put Baze on an easier node and look how great he is.
  • Darth_Julienus1
    394 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    GK shouldn't even be part of the conversation as he cannot be bought...

I agree on the usefulness of Baze - but you will end up spending more and probably you will be pushed to spend on Chirrut as well so that's something to consider when making an investment.

Sith Trooper is very good although I've beaten some all Sith teams, Nihilius lead, because his taunting can be bypassed. If your team is faster you can debilitate your sith opponents greatly before Sith Trooper taunts. Boba and TFP inflicts special ability blocks which prevents Sith Trooper to taunt and TFP inflicts buff immunity...
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Options
    I wouldn't spend actual $$ on it. But he's pretty easy to gear, and protects whatever squishy you're running right out of the gate.

Now, if you are running a zMaul team, then Shore is not a great option. If you still see so Wiggs combos in your Arena, then Shore is great. I'm running Shore, but somewhat curious as to whether I should continue starring him up or just leave him idle. My energy may be better suited elsewhere.
  • Options
    If you're running Zaul, then Sith Trooper is way better IMO. He gets much stronger as Sith allies use their special attacks. I used Shore briefly in a Zaul team and it didn't do much at all. He's definitely very strong with an Empire lead but can be used even under a DN lead, if really only as a huge damage sponge if you don't have Sith Trooper handy.
  • Options
    He's OK - I only have him at 4* G9 and run him in my arena squad. He can soak up 1 Wiggs/whatever and usually have at least one turn. He's a sacrifice which is a shame but my shard is infested with strong Wiggs teams still. I'm less bothered about protecting my EP as he can soak up a bit more than ShT, but my TIE Pilot and Boba are squishy so he's there mostly for them.

I think Baze is better, but I cannot farm either at the moment. I'm considering whether to farm ShT further from the store but I'm going to wait a while first. He was so useful to start with but most teams on my shard run at least one dispeller (usually QGJ and/or Boba) now presumably as a counter to pre-taunters
  • Options
    If you get Shore to gear XI and mod him out like crazy, you're looking at like 100,000 health + protection. That soaks up more than 1 flurry of wiggs.
  • Options
    All other things being equal, Baze > Shore to fill the pre-taunt role on your roster.
  • Options
    I will answer your question with a question.

Do you think they would put shoretrooper on the hardest node in the game, which is a 20 energy hard node farm, if he wasn't a great investment?

They put Baze on an easier node and look how great he is.

^^This^^

Is he good? Yes. Better than Baze? Depends on who you are using.

People need to make sure they 3* all level 9 Light and Darkside hard nodes along with level 8 Catina nodes. I've noticed a trend with Shore, Baze and Deathtrooper all being added to endgame high energy cost nodes. Free to play? Yes but also longer to farm. Fotp and Lobot is a two node farm and takes 4-6 months to farm. New toons are gonna be a one node only. We are looking at 8-12 month farm.

• Options
    Hmm I could probably run both Sith and shore troopers with a palp lead lol, may give that a shot sometime
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    Baze has Shore beat hands down in any team...except Empire. Baze gets bonuses from Chirrut. Shore has no synergy like that.

But, in am Empire team, Shore benefits from an Empire lead, where Baze would not. Shore grants Empire 15% tm if they use a special while he is taunting. He bestows crit immunity and offers heals...both r extremely helpful.

End result...Shore is better for an Empire team, but only for an Empire team.
  • Options
    Poxx wrote: »
    Baze has Shore beat hands down in any team...except Empire. Baze gets bonuses from Chirrut. Shore has no synergy like that.

But, in am Empire team, Shore benefits from an Empire lead, where Baze would not. Shore grants Empire 15% tm if they use a special while he is taunting. He bestows crit immunity and offers heals...both r extremely helpful.

End result...Shore is better for an Empire team, but only for an Empire team.

*drops mic*