Possible alternate way of getting furnace

Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to overcome the gear 8 bump where at least 5 major characters require a freakin Mk V Furnace, it's taking forever and my guild isn't yet running heroic raids..

I'm starting to save up some cristals so that I can buy it for 1400 cristals in the shipments, and given that I'm almost always top 50, it should take me about 10 days to get a furnace which isn't that bad.

But I've seen that the furnace sometimes drops in the shard shop for 6300 shards and it had me thinking.
Each extra character shard gives 15 shards, so I'd need 6300/15 = 420 character shards.

Using the 1200 GW cristals each day on characters that I already have, gives me 15 characters shards.
Doing the same with cantina shards could give me an extra 5 character shards per day.
And depending on my needs, I could use the guild currency and the squad battles shards on characters I already have maxed out, adding an extra 5 to 10 character shards per day.

Overall this would give me, with a low estimate, 25 shards per day, which would give me a Mk V Furnace in about 420/25 = 16.8 days

Do you guys think it is viable, and that spending all those extra character shards isn't holding me back from unlocking other characters ? Has anyone done it before ?

Cantina-wise I've maxed out Boba, QGJ, Fives, Asoka is almost there.
GW-wise I've maxed out Biggs and Lumi, and my main ships are 5*.
Guild-wise I've almost maxed out Rex and Maul, but they're blocked at gear 8.
Squad-wise I've maxed out STH and Ackbar, Sidious is almost there, IG 88 is 6*.

Replies

• Options
    I use it to pick up extra gear/salvage as much as I can, but I have everyone I currently need from GW/Arena/Cantina shops. I would recommend picking up Princess Leia from Arena also, for AAT raid. Also, you don't need to be running heroic rancor, just T5 to get raid gear. If you're not in a guild running T5 minimum (obviously heroic would be best), you need to find one.
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    Options
    I think you could probably pick up furnace salvage at 3 per pop in the shard shop, as well as salvage in the guild shop, and build a furnace in the time, resources, and effort it would take to buy a fully crafted one from the shard shop. And if your guild isn't running heroic Rancor, I would kindly suggest getting in a new guild. Rewards from that raid include a fully crafted furnace, or a ton of salvage.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    I'd recommend buying the salvage in packs of 3 from shard shop as you get 75 salvage for 6300 points, as opposed to the fully crafted piece. You value the salvage more, so it's wiser to spend it that way.
  • Options
    Princess Leia wasn't exactly in my plans, but I've seen how she helps deal monstruous damage and I'll eventually most likely get her. Although I would also need HK-47 for a droid team, IG-86 from GW shards, even Savage and Jawas could be useful.
    The list goes on, so where to stop ? From what point is it useful to farm the furnace or not ?

As far as the raids are going, we're running T6 rancor every 3 or 4 days and the normat AAT takes us a little under a week I'd say. We're not hardcore, average level is 78, but despite my level 81, I'm always able to finish in the top 3, giving me decent rewards.

I didn't think about getting the salvage in packs of 3, you guys are definitely right, it sounds like a much better deal !
  • Options
    I've found best way of getting shard shop currency is cashing in ally points. If you have fairly deep 7* roster and a few 100k ally points, it doesn't take long to get to 6300 for the furnace. I've bought 4 or 5 using this. Just annoying tapping the screen for an hour strait to cash them in. This definitely needs to be taken care of in next QoL update but that's a whole other discussion.
  • Options
    I found buying them in shipments for 1400 crystals was the best thing I ever did. For the longest time I avoided doing that, but soon as I gave in and started saving crystals for just gear my progress sped up like crazy.

I think trying to use all your GW points for the intention of farming the Shard shop is a terrible idea.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend farming shards to exchange for gear either, but it's up to you. I mean, what's the point of farming more characters if you can't gear them? That's a compromise you have to decide on your own, but probably not one I'd take. But like they say, desperate times call for desperate measures, and the sooner you gear, the sooner you can get your guild into Heroic Rancor. Then you can get a lot more gear.
  • Options
    AtlasMKx wrote: »
    I found buying them in shipments for 1400 crystals was the best thing I ever did. For the longest time I avoided doing that, but soon as I gave in and started saving crystals for just gear my progress sped up like crazy.

I think trying to use all your GW points for the intention of farming the Shard shop is a terrible idea.

The shard shop furnace would be in addition to the shipment furnace.
    I've found best way of getting shard shop currency is cashing in ally points. If you have fairly deep 7* roster and a few 100k ally points, it doesn't take long to get to 6300 for the furnace. I've bought 4 or 5 using this. Just annoying tapping the screen for an hour strait to cash them in. This definitely needs to be taken care of in next QoL update but that's a whole other discussion.

Sadly I've only been playing for a few months, and my ally points don't give me enough shards. Being able to spend it in one click would be an awesome idea btw.
    Olga wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend farming shards to exchange for gear either, but it's up to you. I mean, what's the point of farming more characters if you can't gear them? That's a compromise you have to decide on your own, but probably not one I'd take. But like they say, desperate times call for desperate measures, and the sooner you gear, the sooner you can get your guild into Heroic Rancor. Then you can get a lot more gear.

That's precisely why I'm asking for other player's opinion, given that they have a longer experience than me in the game, so that I don't make a costly mistake that could have been avoided by just asking someone before, but you're right, ultimately the decision is mine. So the heroic raid yields much better rewards than T6 ?

It would seem that the idea is not too crazy, so I'll most likely start gathering those shards ! Although I realize that buying the salvage by pack of 3 in the shard shop has a refresh of 24 hours, which is kinda a pain. I'll probably end up buying the whole crafted piece since I don't have a whole lot of syringes as well..
  • Viserys
    461 posts Member
    Options
    I would not sacrifice 420 shards for one furnace. This is the equivalent of farming an entire character to 7 stars.

You're better off pre-farming the syringes and shower drains so that when you do get the salvage you can pull the trigger immediately, and you can continue saving crystals to buy them from the shipments
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i buy fully crafted furnaces in the shard shop. Don't need shards if i can't gear the character they belong to. I don't farm shards just to buy furnaces though, well, not alot of shards anyway.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • ctyc123
    328 posts Member
    Options
    Furnace would be the least of your problems soon, when you need the 20 shield thing in the future. That's the crunch.
  • Options
    I'm just getting to that point in the game and I'd like to thank someone for the topic. I've been at a wall for weeks now and felt I was being pretty slick farming from the shard shop but I'm thinking saving up for the supply shop is a much easier idea
  • Monxie
    559 posts Member
    Options
    You can get 2-4 a day from guild store, 3 a day from shard shop and 2 a day from guild exchange... that's 7-9 pcs a day.
  • Options
    Monxie wrote: »
    You can get 2-4 a day from guild store, 3 a day from shard shop and 2 a day from guild exchange... that's 7-9 pcs a day.

Getting 4 pieces of equipment from the guild shop requires 1220 guild currency per day which isn't possible, at least for me.
    3 pieces of equipment from the shard shop requires 252 shards which requires 16,8 extra character shards which I'll try to do.
  • KVLOM3
    88 posts Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack the thread but speaking of gearing to gear 9, what about these MK 3 holo projectors that everyone seems to need for gear 9...what is the fastest way to get a lot of these? Looks like I need at least 40 for each char.
    Are you guys grinding them out with energy refreshes? Do they become avail in bulk in shops?