Is Zaul worth it with very few speed mods? First zeta tomorrow. Please help

I get my first zeta tomorrow and have been wondering if i should do zaul with few speed mods on my whole team. I have gear 9 Vader and maul, gear 10 emperor, gear 8 savage and dn.
Another option is for me to do a Zader and hopefully solo the rancor finally but i have slow characters so not sure if solo is possible

https://swgoh.gg/u/maxtheflasher/

Replies

• Options
    Yes
  • Options
    Yes to zaul? Would evade increase on everyone if maul had tenacity mods?

Zaul over zader?
  • Osik
    235 posts Member
    Options
    with the 5 sith you mentioned, EP is the only one that really needs speed mods... zMaul lead will give all sith 20% tm at the start of a fight, if you have EP in the 230-250 speed range he should usually go first and stun the other team... i run zMaul lead with a fast EP, then slow DN, zSid at 210 spd, then either fives B2 or rex, depending on the other team, and do pretty well...
  • Options
    Osik wrote: »
    with the 5 sith you mentioned, EP is the only one that really needs speed mods... zMaul lead will give all sith 20% tm at the start of a fight, if you have EP in the 230-250 speed range he should usually go first and stun the other team... i run zMaul lead with a fast EP, then slow DN, zSid at 210 spd, then either fives B2 or rex, depending on the other team, and do pretty well...

It's ridiculous how an average of +12 speed secondaries counts as slow. It's not slow.
    You realize his best speed mod is a +17 arrow, and he doesn't even have 5 of them. His EP is 125 speed. That's slow.

Zaul will help your slowness out. I don't know if it will be enough to get you into the top 100 though.
  • Options
    Yep. Zaul let's people with pathetic mods and low gear levels magically be competitive.
  • WompWompRat
    1833 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Dude, you should not use that first zeta until you get more/better mods with speed secondaries and making sure all of your arena toons have at least +30 speed primary in your arrow mod. Otherwise you might zeta Maul and end up with results that won't meet expectations
  • Options
    It depends if your zaul and SA are quicker than your arena rivals.
    I zetaed my zaul and after one day, never used again in arena and changed to Rex lead instead, because I don't have good speeds secondaries unlike the other zauls in arena, so can't beat the. With my zaul.
  • Options
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Yep. Zaul let's people with pathetic mods and low gear levels magically be competitive.

Agreed
  • Options
    Amorgan wrote: »

Agreed

Agreed x2 - Zaul has made my December 15 shard really fluid. Previously people that couldn't hope to break top 50 are getting top 10 finishes.
  • Options
    Im on a similar date shard- i used to hold top 20 relatively easily with zqgj not long ago- now im getting pushed back into 50-100, sometimes further! I can usually take zaul frakenstein teams on the offense, but on defence they got me beat. And most of them have lvl 4 DN and sith trooper.
    I cud put together my own zaul team quite quickly by mashing together all of my aweful mods and half finished sith toons to be competitive, just to join the herd, but i am not a sheep...

In short, currently zaul is a good investment for fast gains, but the meta will change soon, and zaul will eventually be dragging behind
  • Options
    I zeta'd maul before i focused on speed at all, went from top 50 to top 20 instantly, got speed on my siths and jumped to top 10. I was worried about the same thing, but definitely improved running a slow EP lead and switching to maul. You won't run a top maul squad until you speed up, but it will only make you faster at the end of the day.
  • Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    sc7606 wrote: »
    Amorgan wrote: »

Agreed

Agreed x2 - Zaul has made my December 15 shard really fluid. Previously people that couldn't hope to break top 50 are getting top 10 finishes.

Yep. This may sound very entitled but it's honestly incredibly frustrating as f2p player I've been grinding mod challenges and using my energy on mods to the point that my mods are on the same playing field as the whales on my shard. But now I'm getting beat on by people I've never seen in the top 50 with less than 50 speed on each character just because they slapped a zeta on maul. Soon I'll have my fo team ready and can hopefully knock these posers out. I refuse to follow the meta.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    Slow maul squads are lol. If the other team gets tenacity up before u can aoe with zeta vader or EP, you will have a really tough arena. Do some math and figure it out before u commit.
  • Options
    There will always be someone with faster speed mods than you, no matter what you have. I like to have an arena team that is not totally dependent on speed and can survive a bad start and always has a chance to turn the fight around. A zMaul/sith team is good like that - they have high health, dangerous abilities, dodge and stealth. If you take a critical hit your character will have vanished like an old oak table and he will still get a chance to recover. I think you will be happy with zetaing Maul. Keep investing in Savage and zeta him next.