Enough with the "just-5-shards-short-of-level-up" events

Prev13
Ring
559 posts Member
Recently every single event that we've had (Phoenix squad, their ships, Gar, his ship, Krennic and so on) gives us almost exactly the same amount of shards - just enough to 3* the character/ship and leave them a little bit short of the 4* mark.

Yes, I do realize that the main (and, let's be honest here, ONLY) reason for this is to get the players to buy the rest of the shards in the store. Ok, great. But does this really have to happen with each and every newly released character? It has become so common and boring that it's actually discouraging me (and, judging by some comments seen here in the forums, others as well) from participating in these "events". What's the point? I play for 10 minutes (maybe), I get some shards and I forget about those characters, because they're useless at 3* but not really good enough to invest in to bring them up to 7* (unless you're a whale and have this thing where you believe you gotta catch'em all).

Wouldn't it be better to introduce some long-term events (like the one with K-2SO) where you have to make your way through a number of fights every day over a number of days in order to get the character to 7*? For me the K-2SO "event" was one of the best (if not THE best) I've seen in the game so far. It gave me a goal (unlock and 7* a character), it gave me different means to do it (I could just complete each and every tier daily to get the shards or, if they were too difficult for me, I was able to use crystals to refresh the easier nodes) and it gave me something actually worthwhile to do on a daily basis. Ok, K-2SO might not be the best of the GoH characters, but still... I would much rather get one 7* character a month and actually look forward to completing a team of those characters (like the Phoenix squad, if only they were worth something...) than get all of them with no effort and leave them at practically useless levels.

At this point I really regret that this game doesn't have a "sell-your-character" system, because I would gladly trade all the useless 3* junk for some shards to sell in the Shard Shop.

Replies

• Options
    You checked GW lately or hear about the R2D2 event? Oh yah, did you see sith trooper, sith Assassin, and Death Trooper are in cantina?
  • Options
    you do realise K-2SO event wasn't even for everyone?
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    Options
    You checked GW lately or hear about the R2D2 event? Oh yah, did you see sith trooper, sith Assassin, and Death Trooper are in cantina?

Yeah, yeah, and Nihilus is even in the Shard Shop. And yes, we're getting the R2 event (which is nice). But please tell me how does that change the fact that over the last month we received what, 7 characters and 4 ships, none of which is upgradable (and, as such, remain useless, unlike other 3* characters we've received in the past, like the Shoretrooper) unless you invest huge amounts of money? We're getting quantity over quality (as the recent issue with the Gar ship shows) and I'm really surprised that people are actually defending this policy. Then again, I'm sure there are those who defend things like selling "true" endings to games as paid DLCs...
    you do realise K-2SO event wasn't even for everyone?

Which proves my point even further ;) And yes, I was one of the lucky ones who were able to get him to 7*.
  • Options
    You're mostly F2P, right?
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    Options

Please don't say it like it's a dirty word...
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    Options
    I'm F2P. I don't care about the Phoenix toons, but I like the new Sith. I'm quite happy with the 10 shards short of 4* events. That's 70-75 free shards. They could have released them straight to Chromium and not given me an unlock at all.
  • Nightlores
    1608 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My only problem with these events that they are too easy. But I like the free shards. Better to work on them from 3* then from 0* after couple months when they are FTP. And once in a while there is an awesome toon like Nihilus who rocks at 3*.
  • Options
    Honestly I am more excited for the credits we get for the events. I didnt really care for Gar saxons ships and just autoed the whole event. I almost didn't recognize the new background until I was about done with the event lol. The ship credits we got were really helpful in leveling up my ships.
  • Options
    Ring wrote: »

Please don't say it like it's a dirty word...

Don't be weird. Answer the question.
    SnakesOnAPlane
    518 posts Member
    Options
    You'll soon be able to get a 7* R2D2, as well as you were able to do so with Body, you drop 3/6 shards a day in GW, all chars are going into the game every 6 weeks... Okay, we're not having a 4* chars but almost, if you want to pay do it, if you don't, don't complain about it.
    Thanks to people who pay, you can still play this game.
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    Options
    Acrofales wrote: »
    I'm quite happy with the 10 shards short of 4* events. That's 70-75 free shards. They could have released them straight to Chromium and not given me an unlock at all.

Ok, but tell me, what are you going to do with those characters? You get them at a useless level, hardly viable anywhere at all (except maybe the first node of GW or levels 1-2 of Battles) and that's pretty much it. The only way to level them up is to buy their shards with cash or crystals (basically also cash). Otherwise they're just sitting there at 3*, alone and forgotten.

Seriously, instead of 7 free characters at this level I would prefer 1 free in the same way we got K-2SO and 6 fully pay-to-play. For the whales it wouldn't really make a difference, the revenue for the company would also be similar (if not higher), and those of us who don't spend thousands on this game (yes, @SnakesOnAPlane I've spent enough on this game in the past and I'm now mostly F2P) would at least get a chance to work for a 7* character.
    Nightlores wrote: »
    And once in a while there is an awesome toon like Nihilus who rocks at 3*.

I used Shoretrooper as an example, but yeah, Nihilus is nice as well. And thanks to him being in the Shard Store and Shipments now (and my having saved up the shard currency), I managed to get him to 5*.
    Guest wrote: »
    don't complain about it.

And it's precisely this kind of mentality that is the reason why the companies such as EA see players as cows to be milked instead of customers to be valued.
    Guest wrote: »
    Thanks to people who pay, you can still play this game.

And thank the Force for them, but how is that in any way relevant to this topic? O_o I've spent my share on this game as well, maybe it wasn't thousands of dollars like some do, but they did get money from me.

• Options
    Take it as a headstart and option to try out the characters before investing heavily into them.
    As has been stated before many chars are viable at 3-4 stars and most of the newly released toons become farmable quickly afterwards. I started gearing and leveling krennick and dt when they were released at 3* and now im able to farm both with dt at 6 stars already. If everyone just got them at 7* there would be no distinction, no sense of achievement once theyre completed.

Your argument would be true if the new chars remained unfarmable, but they do not.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    I use both Nihilus and Sith Assassin at 4* in my arena team and they work just fine.
  • Options
    I'm supposing the OP just means that being able to unlock a character, whatever its star level is, leaving it at 5 fragments away from the upgrade is just too much "encouraging" .
    Seems like when you go to real shops and see prices like : 99,99 $ / € / £

Maybe for him, and for a group of us, it would be better to have 3 starred characters with 0 fragments, instead of having a 3 starred with 25 shards.

• Options

Mc_Iavell wrote: »
    I'm supposing the OP just means that being able to unlock a character, whatever its star level is, leaving it at 5 fragments away from the upgrade is just too much "encouraging" .
    Seems like when you go to real shops and see prices like : 99,99 $ / € / £

Maybe for him, and for a group of us, it would be better to have 3 starred characters with 0 fragments, instead of having a 3 starred with 25 shards.

Its so easy to spend a few crystals in shipments and 4* the toon. You get crystals from arena and dailies so every f2p has access to 4* these toons very quickly.
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    Options
    Alrikster wrote: »
    T If everyone just got them at 7* there would be no distinction, no sense of achievement once theyre completed.

I'll disagree with you on this. I actually did have a sense of achievement once I completed K-2SO. a) I had to complete a series of battles in order to get him (spread out over a couple of days) and b) I had to carefully manage my crystals (plus buy some along the way) because, as I said before, I had to calculate exactly which tiers need refreshing, how many times and which tiers offered the most shards/crystal (yes, there was a difference!). I really enjoyed that and I would really like such events to happen more often.

I'm sorry, but I really do believe that the entire community would benefit more if the system was changed to something similar to what I mentioned above: make the F2Ps work for a free 7* character belonging to a group and then offer the rest of the group as P2P. The cash still keeps coming, but those who spend less (or nothing) still have the opportunity to get a character they can actually use. This could also lead to a situation, where you don't see the same character/team repeated endlessly in the arena.
    Mc_Iavell wrote: »

Nope, the OP means that instead of 7 characters at 3* which are just handed out (because let's face it, those events are ridiculously easy) he'd prefer to have more opportunities to fight for 1 7* character, with the others being P2P. ;)
  • Mc_Iavell
    240 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    That will happen for R2D2 event and its happening for Yoda and Palpie events too. But I agree with you for the 3* stars characters being released. MAYBE just as a sense of accomplishment I would prefer old tournaments to be restored :D
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Funny! It's pretty cool that the characters are released free ahead of their official free to farm date..... And it's not expensive to add a star for those willing to spend. I don't mind it at all. Huge improvement from pay to play only. Some of the characters are quite viable at minimal stars. I think its pretty awesome they've switched it up like this, personally.
  • Alrikster
    173 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well, for me farming a character is a huge part of the game. Im almost done with my fo squad and i love it for how much work i have put into developing it. If it was just another 7* handout i'd probably not even look at it twice.

Being given a 7* and denied 6 others means i cannot chose what i want to invest in and farm. I dont like the game dictating me that, so id rather take the 3* headstart and farm the rest of the character i want, rather than use what the game hands me on a platter.

The only "hard" event so far was yoda the first time around. Yes, that was a sense of achievement and i liked it. But as r2 proves these kinds of events arent dead.

So my argument is variety&choice > being locked out of a huge part of the game but recieve a 7* every few months (with you having no control over who that is).
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Pay to have an advantage or pay to develop faster are awesome. But pay to win kills the game. Same with the tourneys. Just a few people having key characters gives too much exclusivity in my opinion. The tournaments were ridiculous and tedious. There ought to be some other kind of less tedious game mode or super events so we can play a lot for long stretches but I'm glad those are gone.
  • Options
    I never understood why tournaments where pro-p2p. I'm referring to their second phase, where no crystal was needed to be spent.

Could you care to explain? Having a huge roster never involved any payment, and all of us use to have a lot of free Ally points.

I miss them, it was timing and strategy to win in my opinion (I'm a dolphin, occasionally paid for some item in shipment).
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    a character just short of 4* > no character at all
    i'm not buying any character with crystals and i'm fine with waiting untill they become farmable (to some extent). p2p exclusive characters used to be waaaaaay more exclusive. Not sure why you don't like the free, some even viable, 3* characters.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    a character just short of 4* > no character at all
    i'm not buying any character with crystals and i'm fine with waiting untill they become farmable (to some extent). p2p exclusive characters used to be waaaaaay more exclusive. Not sure why you don't like the free, some even viable, 3* characters.

I agree with you, but to be fair, OP's point was 1 7* of EA's choice > all new characters 3*.
  • Options
    What would be cool is if you out of the 3 or so new characters released you were given the option of attempting to 7* one of the 3 toons.

It would be difficult to 7* the character and have different challenges associated with it but the main thing would be which character to choose.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    I like having the option of playing with a character before farming their stars. Some of them (let's be honest, about half of them) have even been arena viable at 4*. Most of these characters I'll gear up to purple, level up to 50, and slap some cheap mods on them. It helps me plan my next raid or arena set-up. If they aren't working out even in early nodes of GW, I don't go any further with them. The only real downside to not having the star levels is that you can't use them in raids or certain events. That's totally fine by me.
  • Options
    its cause these arent events, they are sales demo's. dont worry about those 5 shards, there will be a million pop up ads to buy them
  • Options
    I get what you're saying and it is annoying but it's also good marketing. I advised my guild mates to buy one of the Gauntlet packs since it can get you one ship closer to unlocking zetas. 7* ships aren't that impressive, I beat them all the time with my 4-5 star ships. So I don't feel like I'm missing out only taking them to 4 star.
  • Options
    Are you serious? I like the current model it is way better to have access to every new character at 3/4 stars then to be caught behind a pay wall entirely for about 4 months before you can even begin to farm them at scratch. I dont pay for shards but I appreciate being able to unlock and test out the characters.

Check your expectations they are doing this to sell characters this is ment to be a free sample and even so some characters are viable at 4 stars.
  • BhMojo
    50 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    People dont get the point,
    You do the event, get to unlock a really nice toon at 3*
    You enjoy playing the toon to the extent that you feel you want/need it
    But then you see a small micro transaction that could get you enough shards to get them to 4*
    That's when the torture starts
    And for 20+ days it's there, the 1st thing you see when you enter the store
    Until that one day you finally give in and say, oh **** it, it's just US$10
    Little do you know thousands of other players have made the same decision
    Celebration at the company
    Days later they bring back all the packs from the Phoenix events because of how much money they made from the last time they introduced the packs
    People are once again tempted but not as much as the last time
    It was expected
    An event is created so that people get to test all the toons at their peak
    Temptation
    Another success
    It's the cooperate way on letting your desires make them money. It's just business, nothing personal.

• Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Its 70 shards from a 16 energy cantina node for free, isn't that sweet?
    I think the events are fine and we shouldn't really complain so much about them. I just wish we could have some sort of gear price box in a bonus tier of sort